Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Things are getting serious. Eoghan Murphy was on the news earlier looking very relaxed but apparently he was seen leaving government buildings a short while ago having thrown off his tie and his shirt sleeves rolled up.

It's ok. That was the result of lifting his mug of coffee to his mouth. Strenuous work that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One more thing I'm organising in advance...a pair of portable chargers for my phone. I can then set up a WiFi hotspot for any other devices in the house at the time. I've ensured all laundry is done. Tied down the galvanised turfshed roof!

Didn't snow follow Ophelia, the next day? Bit early now but this is very early for a proper storm too.

Hey thanks. Someone gave me a solar charger; Had forgotten that. But if the dish moves, … still the solitaire games I enjoy are offline..

One more thing I'm organising in advance...a pair of portable chargers for my phone. I can then set up a WiFi hotspot for any other devices in the house at the time. I've ensured all laundry is done. Tied down the galvanised turfshed roof!

Didn't snow follow Ophelia, the next day? Bit early now but this is very early for a proper storm too.

there is snow on the Scottish mountains already

I'm color blind, how will I know if I'm in danger?

c olour blind is one thing; illiteracy is quite another ;) :eek:

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Release them online

as long as the , dish etc holds.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing being broadcast to shipping by the Coastguard at present

well they wouldn't for fear of starting a massive panic..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Where is it?? No sign of this feckin storm in Dublin. Damn it it’s off to work I have to go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Where is it?? No sign of this feckin storm in Dublin. Damn it it’s off to work I have to go so.

You are a day early. Its Thursday night/Friday Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you re a day early, it ll be here tomorrow, largely on the west coast, so....

Good call. Saw my kite on the shelf at the weekend. Must get it out.

DO NOT FORGET TO LET GO IF YOU FEEL YOUR FEET LEAVING THE GROUND!

We do not want a national alert BEWARE LOW FLYING TATRANSKA!

;)

• Advertisement

Wonder what it will be like at the beach on Thursday/Friday!

Slea head would be amazing but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Lovely thought but no way.. We need you! Oh I loved that drive... tried to get a rental out that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Taken from latest public advisory
    Lorenzo is expected to be a powerful extratropical cyclone when it approaches Ireland Thursday afternoon and evening.

Thankfully I did my storm shop yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Folks, I commute on the train from louth to Dublin daily on the train, do you reckon there will be train disruption on Friday, might just take the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Folks, I commute on the train from louth to Dublin daily on the train, do you reckon there will be train disruption on Friday, might just take the day off.

Yeah there be leaves on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yeah there be leaves on the line.

The dreaded low rail adhesion

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I have to travel to Connemara(West Galway) on Friday evening.

What's your thought on this, will I be able to make the journey or should I be putting plans in place to put delay that journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

galwayllm wrote: »
    I have to travel to Connemara(West Galway) on Friday evening.

What's your thought on this, will I be able to make the journey or should I be putting plans in place to put delay that journey?

Will be grand by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Will be grand by then.

Except for maybe trees down? It is still full leaf on the trees...might be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hurricane-lorenzo-hit-ireland-stronger-20384783

Hurricane Lorenzo to hit Ireland stronger than expected as 'ferocious' storm gathers 'incredible pace'

Haha scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Zorya wrote: »
    Except for maybe trees down? It is still full leaf on the trees...might be a factor

Perhaps. Especially the further west you go. But most if they are falling will already be down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

dave1982 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hurricane-lorenzo-hit-ireland-stronger-20384783

Hurricane Lorenzo to hit Ireland stronger than expected as 'ferocious' storm gathers 'incredible pace'

Haha scaremongering

To say the least. Supposedly most of the country will be a yellow warning at most when it's announced later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Things are getting serious. Eoghan Murphy was on the news earlier looking very relaxed but apparently he was seen leaving government buildings a short while ago having thrown off his tie and his shirt sleeves rolled up.

Hahahaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

dsmythy wrote: »
    Perhaps. Especially the further west you go. But most if they are falling will already be down.

I am in NW. A good few trees went down around here in last storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

would tomorrow be a good day to park at salthill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Graces7 solar charger...better leave it out now and give it the best chance...I bought solar fairy lights during the summer and they took days to charge even in bright sunshine. Speaking of such gadgets, my friend lives off grid. He has a nifty wind up radio. Always meant to buy.one myself.

Snow pretty normal for Scottish highlands isn't it...They tend to keep it later into the spring too.

're Lorenzo. This morning the main thread gives the impression it's not so bad after all? What does everyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Nugget89

dave1982 wrote: »

Haha scaremongering

Don't link the w*****s, that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

would tomorrow be a good day to park at salthill ?

I've hired a mini cooper to test out its sub-aquatic capabilities under crashing 15ft waves at Salthill, see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Please keep in mind that even though yellow warnings look like being issued, trees can topple more easily due to being in full leaf. The wind speeds don't look like being all that much but Storm Ali was a yellow warning in September 18 and cause a fair bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

From the mirror
    Met Eireann has also warned some areas may experience thunderstorms which could lead to flooding.

not sure its the thunderstorms themselves which lead to flooding- that article is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I hate these morning downgrades. You go to bed thinking exciting weather is coming and then you wake up to downgrades. We're well used to it now.

Advertisement