Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

George Lee has completely lost the Plot. Not on. Ppl look for impartial advice not his Hollywood disaster movie bluster.

i think hes looking for his Tereasa Mannion/Joanna Donnelly moment of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought that piece Rte did was terrible.

It was daily mail stuff, hyped up to the max.

No mention at all that it's going to weaken a lot from what hit the Azores. That wouldn't be news, would it?

And Sharon was really emphasising the word yellow when she mentioned warnings. We have had dozens of yellow warnings before. Yellow isn't bad. But if you need it to sound bad, they can make it sound bad.

I am thinking this is going to be a case of people complaining against about over exaggeration.

I'd say Evelyn Cusack would be annoyed with that 'news' article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

George Lee, up for an Oscar for best dramatic bull**** award. Yes it will be stormy and yes there's potential for some damage, but this lad is off the Beaufort Scale.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Slightly off topic but Graces7 be safe!!

So i work in Galway city, shift 3pm-12am. My plan is to get to the start of the shift, work until 6, then check conditions. If they look about to worsen, call it quits & head home. Work’s not happy, but I wasn’t asking them, I was telling them I’m doing that.

Sound reasonable? Or should i call the whole day off?

And what windspeeds should I expect debris on the roads for? What do you weather experts think my go/no-go conditions should be? I’m in a light car, and my drive home is to ballinasloe. Motorway for a lot of the way, but I’d prefer to do it in daylight than at 12.30 at night if I’m driving the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What the hell am I supposed to do with 10,000 Brennan's batch loaves

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Feed the rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A big fook off Lorenzo bread and butter pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

Well whatever about frightening elderly people the ones in my area will have no 'home help' tomorrow afternoon as they have been told to go home early! So tough luck if you're elderly and were relying on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

piplip87 wrote: »
    Blame George Lee, Dublin live and the Liberal. They hype everything up for views and then will be the first ones to blame Met Eireann when it doesn't go well.

The liberal used the words yellow warning and Ireland could be obliterated in the same article earlier today.....Although they will likely blame foreigners or Abortion if it doesn't come off

I for one am shocked that a website which has been sued in the past for stealing other people's work and running fake competitions would mislead people for the sake of clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Grandeeod wrote: »
    George Lee, up for an Oscar for best dramatic bull**** award. Yes it will be stormy and yes there's potential for some damage, but this lad is off the Beaufort Scale.:rolleyes:

It appears they've been told to turn the armageddon knob to 11 to further propagate and push the man made climate change agenda/theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I for one am shocked that a website which has been sued in the past for stealing other people's work and running fake competitions would mislead people for the sake of clicks.[/QUOTE]

Liked +shared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

So i work in Galway city, shift 3pm-12am. My plan is to get to the start of the shift, work until 6, then check conditions. If they look about to worsen, call it quits & head home. Work’s not happy, but I wasn’t asking them, I was telling them I’m doing that.

And what windspeeds should I expect debris on the roads for? What do you weather experts think my go/no-go conditions should be? I’m in a light car, and my drive home is to ballinasloe. Motorway for a lot of the way, but I’d prefer to do it in daylight than at 12.30 at night if I’m driving the storm.

Any excuse to do no work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Quite extraordinary by Rte and George Lee. We haven't seen this type of tabloid spoof from them before. I mean we get a yellow warning almost every week on Winter. Perhaps it's just an ignorance and lack of weather knowledge.
    Worth noting we are weather fanatics, and understand the complexities of jet stream, climate change more than most of society . We can see the media spin as not being accurate

The ***** have gone full clickbait in the past year. RTE.ie still harping on about Greg O'Shea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

We all live in a yellow submarine..... yellow warnings everywhere and we’ll be taking on water.

Pox off Lorenzo, right now our little country and our economy don’t need your ****e, we have enough bluster from Borris, we don’t need this too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am worried as I dont have any battens to hatch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hoist up the them there britches lest the ex hurricane gets ya

I'm up the top of an exposed area in Finglas the last two years storms have rattled the roof of my building like a pan handling crazy person I'm not looking forward to the noise level tomorrow stay safe everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

I for one am shocked that a website which has been sued in the past for stealing other people's work and running fake competitions would mislead people for the sake of clicks.

Damn all people read the liberal. The likes of the independent are just as bad if not worse.

h0TiyBp.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm up the top of an exposed area in Finglas the last two years storms have rattled the roof of my building like a pan handling crazy person I'm not looking forward to the noise level tomorrow stay safe everyone.

You’ll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Probably the thing most worth emphasizing with Lorenzo is that the usual uncertainty with any weather system is skewed to the low side in this case, in other words, the chances of it underperforming spread over a larger range than overperforming current forecasts. This is not meant to say ignore any warnings or let one's guard down, but just as a purely statistical proposition, the chances of peak wind gusts probably look like this:

25% chance under 90 km/hr

25% chance 90-110 km/hr

25% chance 110-120 km/hr

25% chance 120 km/hr +

and then that would only apply to one or two locations (Mace Head most likely), so at various other locations the spread would be similar for lower ranges of outcomes.

I continue to think that the sea state will be the biggest story with Lorenzo. That part is already determined by and large by the history of the storm, and the large swells will arrive before the strongest winds, so for some with coastal "smarts" this storm may surprise a little by peaking in terms of elevated sea states before peak winds set in.

Having said that, you have to warn the public based on a reasonable estimate of higher end of a probability range, and this is always the language people perhaps don't read in forecasts, that such and such is expected to happen somewhere in a warned area (not everywhere in a warned area).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

lleti wrote: »
    Damn all people read the liberal. The likes of the independent are just as bad if not worse.

100km and hurricane don't belong in the same sentence, pure clickbait rubbish.

We're fairly exposed on the west coast so fairly uses to the winds. Worst experience was about 5 years ago where there were 150km gusts. Watching the back door bending in was not a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

odyssey06 wrote: »

Would it not be hatches to batten down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

odyssey06 wrote: »

Could be worse. I have no bird to ride out the storm with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would it not be hatches to batten down??

No I think you have to hatch the batten and then eat it if food supplies run out?

I think you batten down the hatches on a sailing boat but alas I dont have any if them either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

easypazz wrote: »
    Could be worse. I have no bird to ride out the storm with.

https://youtu.be/y0N8sGGYGE8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I have an appointment in Dun Laoighre in the morning, is it going to be bad or just wet and windy or will it be calm until lunch in peoples opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thargor wrote: »
    I have an appointment in Dun Laoighre in the morning, is it going to be bad or just wet and windy or will it be calm until lunch in peoples opinions?

Don't think it's hitting in the morning.

Did I not hear 6pm mentioned for its arrival?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Thargor wrote: »

It’ll be very normal. And nothing going on at all around lunchtime there at all

Advertisement