Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

He is unreal tell it like it is and stop the drama he even looks pale with shock frightning the older folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

lorenzo? bucket of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

The met detailed forecast for my location (South Dublin mountains) shows wind peaking 2pm tomorrow. I thought this storm was expected to cross Dublin much later tomorrow evening?

Not exactly looking forward to the school run so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

KingBobby wrote: »
    The met detailed forecast for my location (South Dublin mountains) shows wind peaking 2pm tomorrow. I thought this storm was expected to cross Dublin much later tomorrow evening?

Not exactly looking forward to the school run so...

It won't even have hit the West coast at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Weather on now. Sounds like it's going to be manky tomorrow morning and tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cartman78 wrote: »
    No I agree...I doughnut know why people bombard these threads with lame bread jokes.

From tart to finish, people just roll out the same thing and act like it's great brack altogether. There'll be a few willing to go against the grain but I don't crust them either.

Stick to the facts people, it's the yeast we can do in these difficult times

You sound... barmy.. time to rise to the occasion.. so da people can eat..you knead help perhaps?

OH DEAR.I posted this before I caught up with the thread.. Toast time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Can I cycle to work tomorrow lads? 630 to work half 3 home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

I don’t believe any of these so called weather experts. They get a C or less in leaving cert geography which is the easiest subject after home economics, and then straight into a high paid job with RTÉ. More like weather eejits I call them. I’ll be going out to work tomorrow morning and I won’t even take a coat. Reckon it will be sunny and high teens.

You forgot to mention you live in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

BDI wrote: »
    Can I cycle to work tomorrow lads? 630 to work half 3 home?

That's a long cycle to work. The one home sounds ok ..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

We got the typical “caring” email at work today.
    If you feel it is unsafe to travel to work please arrange to work from home etc!! Making sure we all took the laptops home so there’s no excuse not to be working. There’s always one who lives too far away to come in when there’s a bit of wind!

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    MOOOOO!!!!

wrap up warm and get some sleep - get the fire on and tell Lead Upright Cow that she will be fine too, and to pack it in!

Had a lovely sleep then Mrs Moo started again. Although given the time of year, maybe Mr Bull. Clearly the cattle are off the fields and did not want to be.. Safe anyways and thankful the islanders are taking all the precautions. Hearing tractors also on the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Tomorrow

Turning wet and windy on Thursday as the outer rain-bands associated with Storm Lorenzo track across
    Ireland. Southeast winds will be strong and gusty with some damaging gusts. Very high seas are
    expected along the Atlantic coast. Feeling increasingly humid with temperatures of 13 to 17 degrees.
    During Thursday evening the centre of Storm Lorenzo will move closer to the northwest coast. Southerly
    winds will veer west to southwest, with gales and severe damaging gusts, especially along
    Atlantic coasts
    . Intense falls of falls of thundery rain will move into the west too.

Met.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    looks that way; ;)

Hopefully it'll be a nothing burger Grace.

Let us all know anyway, your input here is always valued!

LordBasil wrote: »
    I agree, all this bread talk is getting very tiresome. I found the whole bread obsession during Ophelia and particularly during the 'Beast from the East' cringeworthy. Like what year is it, there are plenty of other food people can buy/eat nowadays. If bad weather is predicted buy extra bread days before it starts and put it in the freezer if you need bread so much. Ridiculous carry on the last time.

Does no one make their own any more? I ran out of bread way back and made a bannock. Even on the food forum they had no idea what that was! Takes under five mins. At the traditional farms at Muckross, the ladies make oven top breads.

AaronMan wrote: »
    They are social housing tenants, so I even thought of having a word with the Council about it, but I doubt that the Council would be interested before hand - it's not the common/usual type of complaint that they'd be dealing with ... Also, there is not much time left before Lorenzo arrives.

can you creep out after dark and tie it down? I would! PS I am in social housing too! But all is battened down here..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What is this wonderful looking SKG contraption and where can I get it?? Does it make bread with strawberries??

Yes it does, based on an old Irish recipe that is so famous the Dubliners wrote a song about it, I think it went "where the strawberry bread sweeps down to the Liffey"

Checked the met.ie warnings when I came back on, and I never remember seeing such an orange warning for wind. Quite scary reading it. terms like strong gale and storm force... and they say morning.

Ah well..

Checked the met.ie warnings when I came back on, and I never remember seeing such an orange warning for wind. Quite scary reading it. terms like strong gale and storm force... and they say morning.

Ah well..

It'll be grand.

I'm sure you've been through far worse Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ah well..

It ain’t no Ophelia Warning though. Still waiting for the next time Met Eireann use the word ‘destructive’

FC748-A19-84-FB-4-EC8-8027-3777-D4-B266-BC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Bread making is hugely popular these days Graces ? I got two great recipes from the food forum for sourdough and wholemeal bread. Perhaps if you had used the term griddle bread, people would have known. Bannock is more of a Scottish term I think.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    It ain’t no Ophelia Warning though. Still waiting for the next time Met Eireann use the word ‘destructive’

A classic, but also tragic :(
    I remember it.

By the way, ME do use the word disruptive for this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The garden furniture shall not be taken in

West Dublin 2nd October 2019

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Bread making is hugely popular these days Graces ? I got two great recipes from the food forum for sourdough and wholemeal bread. Perhaps if you had used the term griddle bread, people would have known. Bannock is more of a Scottish term I think.

Bannock also a native term. I'm not great at making quick breads, but might try again. Ty!

(thanks, sorry fineso, I know that was for Grace, not me)

fineso.mom wrote: »

Yep; I learned the noble art in Orkney with their local bere meal. a kind of barley. Useful when the power has gone and you have a real fire..
    It made for a good discussion though ;)

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I remember it.

Ophelia missed us thankfully.. turned right at Clare. I was still on radio and not computer then and they interviewed a very disappointed weather guy in Sligo who had been eagerly waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Anyone else have the heating on? Flipping freezing here now in Dublin.

It'll be grand.

I'm sure you've been through far worse Grace.

The term Hobson's choice comes to mind! No leaving the island now! as if I would!

Lot of tractor noise; unusual.

Lit the fire for a while. Will not light it in the storm lest the gale damages the chimney. All bases covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I remember it.

Destructive not disruptive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Yep. Baltic. Hubby doesn't agree.

Advertisement