Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

jimmynokia wrote: »
    is there a thread for the upcoming inclement weather the usual rags are already scaremongering about

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058035189&page=26

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day in Tralee, nice crisp start getting up to a pleasant 10.1C and dropped away again under clear skies to 3.3C

NASA Sat Pic.

CjeCihX.png?1

15.00 Tralee, contrails under calm conditions

4EOLIWo.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still and chill and utterly quiet. And met.ie is bare of yellow flags, a rare event these days. Bliss... may even get a short walk at first light. View a calm ocean from my island eyrie in West Mayo

The morning fulfilled its promise; a lovely walk in calm and clear, with that early chill and just the harbour and lighthouse lights each with their own pattern.

A rare treat this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met Eireann taking about very strong and squally winds on Sunday and Monday with potential for snowy falls embedded.
    Strongly worded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Colder then I expected this morning in cork city. Frost on the cars and the air is cold too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah still below zero here in Arklow
    Hard frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Shannonbridge 05/02/20 07.40 temperature 1°C
    gjkdRUv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met Eireann taking about very strong and squally winds on Sunday and Monday with potential for snowy falls embedded.
    Strongly worded!

Not anymore,
    Cold weather prevailing, heavy rain at times,with shower's turning wintery at times.

Volatile systems?

• Advertisement

At least Election Day will be clear of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A real hint of Spring in that sunshine today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Just checking. If there is a met.ie red alert for high winds are the schools forced to close or is it up to individual ones to decide?
    Asking because we in Slovakia have a red wind warning today in many regions and few hours ago wind blew down a metal bus stop that killed a 4 year old child with another one being in critical condition. Thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Periscal wrote: »
    Just checking. If there is a met.ie red alert for high winds are the schools forced to close or is it up to individual ones to decide?
    Asking because we in Slovakia have a red wind warning today in many regions and few hours ago wind blew down a metal bus stop that killed a 4 year old child with another one being in critical condition. Thnx

Yes, all educational institutions close when a red warning for wind is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looking forward to mentions of Seee-arrrh-ahhh emanating from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Colder then I expected this morning in cork city. Frost on the cars and the air is cold too

Was the same here in Dublin 5, wasn't expecting it to be so cold/frosty since even a frost in the last two winters seems to be too much to ask for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Absolutely beautiful evening in Arklow, sun just starting to set
    Loving these sunny stretches in the evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a beautiful day, hard frost last night and this morning then mostly sunny today and not a breeze. It will be very different next week.

Roscrea co tipp 05/02/20 08.22 temperature 2°C
    gsfRTi1.jpg

It has been dry out here; which is a rare blessing these days.. but cloudy and breezy.

Restless air.

Chill now as darkness cloaks the westerly ocean here in Mayo . Quietening with just that background whispering in between deep silences.

Set to become windy later....

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Last time I remember winds doing any sort of significant damage to my back yard was (I think) March 2008, when overnight winds 'disappeared' some of my wooden fence panelling.

Out here anything that could be moved was moved generations ago. We are stripped bare now. Nothing left to vanish.

Just been talking to family in BC Canada. They cannot get out of the door.. 4 foot of snow and still falling and drifting....

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just been talking to family in BC Canada. They cannot get out of the door.. 4 foot of snow and still falling and drifting....
    Sent a bit of that are way

m17 wrote: »
    Sent a bit of that are way

told them that and they would love to !

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

No Kermit = No snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Out here anything that could be moved was moved generations ago. We are stripped bare now. Nothing left to vanish.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Mod Note : Would remind posters to keep this thread for model / technical discussion in the +120 hr range and please and use the appropriate threads.

Thanks

Definitely, I'd love to comment on the model's discussion. But I'm an ejit.

Just quote the poster in the model discussion you want to reply to. Then copy and paste it into this thread is the best thing to do.

You can put all your chit chat for the model thread into here.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Periscal wrote: »

In ireland the whole place shuts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Saw what I reckon may have been a decent fireball in the night sky while out on a walk at approximately 11pm tonight in Mayo. It was just a little bit north of being directly overhead.
    Anyhow a lovely cool moonlit night here and the last two bright days were a real tonic. Even a sense that the place was drying out a bit this eve but of course plenty more water waiting in the wings and a lot more on top of it by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Saw what I reckon may have been a decent fireball in the night sky while out on a walk at approximately 11pm tonight in Mayo. It was just a little bit north of being directly overhead.
    Anyhow a lovely cool moonlit night here and the last two bright days were a real tonic. Even a sense that the place was drying out a bit this eve but of course plenty more water waiting in the wings and a lot more on top of it by the looks of things.

Could this be why there's a power cut in the louusburgh Westport area, I lost power around 11pm

Advertisement