Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Turning Into My Dad

• 02-07-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The older I get, the more I think I'm turning into my dad. I find myself saying things he used to say, and have amended my (liberal) attitude into a more conservative one.

Eg
    Always commenting on everything.
    Running commentary on household chores.
    Young wans wear too little.
    The News is now important!
    In last few years, I love spending time in my garden (like he did).
    I reached my level of technical competence around 40 and any major advance after that is beyond me (i get my son to sort these issues, like I did for my dad back in the day)
    Driving sensibly & saving fuel is now more important than getting there quickly.

Have you got any similar musings? Are you different to your dad / mom?

Or is this just a case of what happens to us all as we get older?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The older I get, the more I think I'm turning into my dad. I find myself saying things he used to say, and have amended my (liberal) attitude into a more conservative one.

Eg
    Always commenting on everything.
    Running commentary on household chores.
    Young wans wear too little.
    The News is now important!
    In last few years, I love spending time in my garden (like he did).
    I reached my level of technical competence around 40 and any major advance after that is beyond me (i get my son to sort these issues, like I did for my dad back in the day)
    Driving sensibly & saving fuel is now more important than getting there quickly.

Have you got any similar musings? Are you different to your dad / mom?

Or is this just a case of what happens to us all as we get older?

Maybe just... growing up ;)

• I'm 47 He's 84. ANYTHING that has to be printed out to hardcopy, guess what I'm the print shop - operating a consumer Epson inkjet printer for him. Oh, and I use it to for my photos. His is always emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe just... growing up ;)

Yup, I suppose so. Could be worse ...... I could be turning into my mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

I know exactly how you feel. With me it's made worse each time I hear "you're exactly like your da" or "you sound exactly like you da". But you know the job is complete when .........you keep the piece of stick you used to stir the paint......., until the next time it's needed!!!!!

Eph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Eph1958 wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. With me it's made worse each time I hear "you're exactly like your da" or "you sound exactly like you da". But you know the job is complete when .........you keep the piece of stick you used to stir the paint......., until the next time it's needed!!!!!
    Eph.

But, I've been doing that since I was a young teenager. Those sticks are hard to come by when you don't have a woodworking individual in the family!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Doesn't everyone have that stick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Maxwell Dazzling Scrimmage

Not that too many who remember my dad are still alive but now and again I'm told I have his demeanour and attitude to life. I take that as a huge compliment.

In the meantime, I take enormous pleasure in hearing my adult children repeating things I've said to them over the last few decades. And I let them think it's all their own ideas and opinions!! Har! Har!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I see more and more of my mom in the mirror. Almost can feel like what she must've felt like at times. I haven't decided if it's a good or bad thing, it must just be how genetics work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Eph1958 wrote: »

Eph.

When you have a drawer with a bag in it labelled" pieces of string too short to use" you will know the tranformation is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Edgware wrote: »
    When you have a drawer with a bag in it labelled" pieces of string too short to use" you will know the tranformation is complete.

Reminds me of the old Monty Python sketch.... "New Simpsons individual stringettes.............. as used in hospitals!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Since I've had children i see myself turning into my mother. Need to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

MiliMe wrote: »
    Since I've had children i see myself turning into my mother. Need to work on that.

Why? Did she not do a good job on you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

If I turn out half as good as my Father (God Rest his soul) I would be happy.

Yep, I am into Gardening (he wasn't), Yep I am into building (he couldn't screw in a light bulb), Yes I am into design (he was colour blind)

The one thing that I am proud to say, no one ever had a bad word to say about him. He helped anyone, in anyway he could. I hope I have the same traits...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

looksee wrote: »
    Why? Did she not do a good job on you? :D

Well its debatable. Haha

She is a good mam and a great nanny but she's hard work and super antisocial which has lead to her being quite lonely in her later years and depends on us children to keep her company.

MiliMe wrote: »
    Well its debatable. Haha

She is a good mam and a great nanny but she's hard work and super antisocial which has lead to her being quite lonely in her later years and depends on us children to keep her company.

Super antisocial? Sound like chronic shyness to me! I understand that, believe me. There are many that suffer with that condition, believe me.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I see more and more of my mom in the mirror. Almost can feel like what she must've felt like at times. I haven't decided if it's a good or bad thing, it must just be how genetics work.

What is a M I R R O R?

Graces7 wrote: »
    What is a M I R R O R?

Its that thing on the wall that reflects your face right back at you!! :)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Its that thing on the wall that reflects your face right back at you!! :)

actually I do not have one of those....low cost rental so none here.

Sure you don't need one Grace. I can see from here you're lookin' fab! :D

Sure you don't need one Grace. I can see from here you're lookin' fab! :D

(((HUGS))) needed that today too!

• Advertisement

Hugs accepted and returned. Sorry you're feeling low Grace. Hope its temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Not my Dad but Victor Meldrew. I have definitely become more and more like Victor and - "I cannot believe it"!!!

Victor was ok. The world around him was infuriating though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

But, I've been doing that since I was a young teenager. Those sticks are hard to come by when you don't have a woodworking individual in the family!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Doesn't everyone have that stick?

Yes, and don't forget the old wonky screwdriver for opening the tins. I've had the same one for maybe 25 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rose of Lima

When I was younger I would have been mortified if I was told I looked or sounded like my parents. I suppose immaturity played it's part in that, but when you just want to express your individuality to the world, it's the last thing you wanted to hear.

Now, I'm delighted anyone says I look or sound like my parents. They were really good people, and excellent parents. I know I was so lucky to have them. If someone says to me now 'your mother / father used to say that', it makes me smile. They thought I wasn't listening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Alot of modern pop music sounds very similar to me, edm
    electronic music usually with a female singer
    singing about going to the club, falling in love, using
    rap slang I dont understand
    I the 80,s , 70s to be in the charts a band had to have a
    Certain skill eg learn to at guitars, drums, bass etc
    I think half the songs in the charts now are programmed using loops and samples and there is a
    a certain something missing
    Every band in the 80s had a sound due to the style of each person who played the drums, guitars etc in a certain way
    I can't think of a modern pop group that sounds as good as Fleetwood mac or the eagles or genesis
    I think some new music is great like lady gaga or sia
    but I think the concept of a band touring for a few years
    and building up a fanbase
    before they have a hit record is
    gone
    I like to keep up with all the new technology like ps5
    new phones etc I don't see the need for 4k tv since as far as I know even sky only broadcasts in 1080p hd
    I think part of the point of pop music is it should sound
    strange or different to anyone over 30
    Each generation makes it's own culture with its own
    language or concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Lights...they all leave them on in my house all the time.

I am going around the place turning them off, just like my ol' fella - his pet hate. Noticed it more than ever now. Although its still a bit to go hopefully before I take the bulb outa the fridge like he did....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm definitely turning into my dad in some ways. But I don't mind, he's awesome.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

We now trade information.

Father: I’m in front of the computer and I need to do “X” - where do I click?

Me: Ah, for jaysus sake, we did this last week, just click twice in “Y”. Now, while I have you, I have an issue with a radiator/shelf/garden plant/drill bit....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yeah I’ve inherited a lot from my dad, but his work ethics couldn’t get past my immune system...

Advertisement