Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thought with ryno at the helm we would be getting nothing but bikes..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Weird I thought we were getting the Alexander double decks.

Up to 600 hybrid double deckers with the initial order of 100 due to start delivery in the coming months (probably post October)
    Up to 200 battery electric single deckers
    3 hydrogen fuel cell double deckers (all going to BÉ)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

p_haugh wrote: »
    Somewhat related to this, turns out the NTA put out a tender in may for up to 200 fully electric single deck buses: https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1291729050873077760?s=19

They really need to stop appeasing the green agenda. Electric buses using lithium batteries mined using child labour in Africa more than likely. Emissions from public transport are not the issue car use is.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

GT89 wrote: »
    They really need to stop appeasing the green agenda. Electric buses using lithium batteries mined using child labour in Africa more than likely. Emissions from public transport are not the issue car use is.

Lithium is being mined in Africa now? What happened to Australia and South America?

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Lithium is being mined in Africa now? What happened to Australia and South America?

What's the point electric buses can carry less than diesel buses due to the battery taking valuable passenger space and weight requirements. The NTA need to buy more tri axles or put the infrastructure in place for articulated vehicles not effing about with lower capacity hybrid and electric vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will they be poverty spec with no AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The fully electric airport shuttle mentioned is from Crowne Plaza Northwood to the Airport and nothing to do with NTA, rather it's something of an enthusiasts project from within the hotel group. From a different financial time too, in comparison to current stark financial reality for hospitality industry.

Will they be poverty spec with no AC?

110% yes no a/c and cheapest crappiest seats they could find.... Driver is just a number .....

Luckily we don't get the London weather but still ....

Fogged up windows throughout the winter and a sweat box in the summer...... Doesn't help most sg pump heat always even if turned to cold.... Bone shakers, my bones can't keep taking it....

The fully electric airport shuttle mentioned is from Crowne Plaza Northwood to the Airport and nothing to do with NTA, rather it's something of an enthusiasts project from within the hotel group. From a different financial time too, in comparison to current stark financial reality for hospitality industry.

What year is that?

What's the point electric buses can carry less than diesel buses due to the battery taking valuable passenger space and weight requirements. The NTA need to buy more tri axles or put the infrastructure in place for articulated vehicles not effing about with lower capacity hybrid and electric vehicles

Not if on the roof but they are getting better with space I believe for doubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Ce he sin wrote: »

I think it’s more the cobalt from the Congo.

M

110% yes no a/c and cheapest crappiest seats they could find.... Driver is just a number .....

Luckily we don't get the London weather but still ....

Fogged up windows throughout the winter and a sweat box in the summer...... Doesn't help most sg pump heat always even if turned to cold.... Bone shakers, my bones can't keep taking it....

Seriously? Ffs, buses being bought by bloody idiots, probably the same arsehole who bought the DART carriages with seats too small for Europeans has moved on to bus buying, sespit kip of a country. Will mean having to open the windows to breath in toxic NOX emissions from one of the most diesel polluted cities in the world, you couldn't make it up. The buses are not fit for purpose.

Sure solar panels and wind turbine blades are the next big bang

Seriously? Ffs, buses being bought by bloody idiots, probably the same arsehole who bought the DART carriages with seats too small for Europeans has moved on to bus buying, sespit kip of a country. Will mean having to open the windows to breath in toxic NOX emissions from one of the most diesel polluted cities in the world, you couldn't make it up.

Even just for the driver, standard air it's only since GT that we could aim air away from the face when demisters were on....

Ice cold feet and eyes as dry as the Sahara before that....

M

Even just for the driver, standard air it's only since GT that we could aim air away from the face when demisters were on....

Ice cold feet and eyes as dry as the Sahara before that....

It's clear the people buying the buses and trains never actually travel on them, they drive in to their CIE/Irish Rail free parking space and don't give a flying.

It's clear the people buying the buses and trains never actually travel on them.

Yes that's basically it and funnily people are taller now but seating space is tighter then ever.... It's actually like trying to fit into a Ryanair seat.. can't walk after.

Suspensions are absolutely shocking

Is having the assault screen closed and the holes sealed up due to covid making the cab much stuffier for drivers. Before covid most drivers had the assault half way down. I'd imagine this to keep the cab ventilated.

It's clear the people buying the buses and trains never actually travel on them, they drive in to their CIE/Irish Rail free parking space and don't give a flying.

NTA make the calls nowadays

M

NTA make the calls nowadays

Any evidence they actually travel on them? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

p_haugh wrote: »
    Somewhat related to this, turns out the NTA put out a tender in may for up to 200 fully electric single deck buses: https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1291729050873077760?s=19

Wonder if they're planning on running these on the new single decker only O-Route under BusConnects?

I had been wondering how they'd run this route and still try to reduce emissions, as a hybrid wouldn't work, the entire route is so populated that the diesel engine would never turn on

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Wonder if they're planning on running these on the new single decker only O-Route under BusConnects?

I had been wondering how they'd run this route and still try to reduce emissions, as a hybrid wouldn't work, the entire route is so populated that the diesel engine would never turn on

Well the double deck ones are using a generator set up so the engine doesn't power the wheels at all the electric motor does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well the double deck ones are using a generator set up so the engine doesn't power the wheels at all the electric motor does.

Right now, the plan is for the hybrid buses to turn off their engine while they're in the most built up/emission prone areas, with the inner city presumably being one of them. The O-Route is essentially all inner city, so there'd be no where for the engine to turn on to recharge the batteries.

That's why I think these buses will be on the O-Route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That isn't true at all about single deck electric buses.

EV single deck buses have exactly the same passenger capacity as their Diesel counterparts. This is because the batteries on single deck EV's go on the roof of the bus, it takes up no space from the passenger cabin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is great news and makes lots of sense.

Single deck EV buses are by now a well tested and proven technology. There are more then a thousand of them running around London everyday and they are hundreds of thousand of them in China (they make 10,000 every 6 weeks!).

Yes Double Decker EV's are more complicated and immature tech, so still a few years away for large scale use. The choice of a plug-in hybrid is a good choice for those for now. And tests hydrogen buses for longer distance BE type commuter routes makes a lot of sense too.

All round, seems like good decisions being made here.

And yes, I'd assume these would run on the O-Ring, makes lots of sense there and avoids issues from residents complaining about Diesel and noise from buses on the route.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »
    This is great news and makes lots of sense.

Single deck EV buses are by now a well tested and proven technology. There are more then a thousand of them running around London everyday and they are hundreds of thousand of them in China (they make 10,000 every 6 weeks!).

Yes Double Decker EV's are more complicated and immature tech, so still a few years away for large scale use. The choice of a plug-in hybrid is a good choice for those for now. And tests hydrogen buses for longer distance BE type commuter routes makes a lot of sense too.

All round, seems like good decisions being made here.

And yes, I'd assume these would run on the O-Ring, makes lots of sense there and avoids issues from residents complaining about Diesel and noise from buses on the route.

They'll just start complaining that they are too quiet then.

bk wrote: »
    That isn't true at all about single deck electric buses.

EV single deck buses have exactly the same passenger capacity as their Diesel counterparts. This is because the batteries on single deck EV's go on the roof of the bus, it takes up no space from the passenger cabin.

My bad but I also thought the weight requirements would mean it could carry less I could be wrong though. Althought more a general opinion of mine that the NTA need to look at higher capacity vehicles.

Personally I think the O route should operated BRT style using bendybuses with longer stops rather than using standard single deck buses. I think the NTA should be more focused on procuring high capacity vehicles either bendybuses or double deck tri axle buses with 3 entrances similar to those in use in Berlin or Singapore rather than standard size single deck and double deck vehicles. Something like this

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/news/2019/april/50-new-alexander-dennis-enviro500-double-deckers-for-singapore-in-new-three-door-two-staircase-layout/

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/news/2018/october/alexander-dennis-wins-berlin-contract-for-new-double-decker-fleet/

My bad but I also thought the weight requirements would mean it could carry less I could be wrong though. Althought more a general opinion of mine that the NTA need to look at higher capacity vehicles.

Personally I think the O route should operated BRT style using bendybuses with longer stops rather than using standard single deck buses. I think the NTA should be more focused on procuring high capacity vehicles either bendybuses or double deck tri axle buses with 3 entrances similar to those in use in Berlin or Singapore rather than standard size single deck and double deck vehicles. Something like this

The tender is for long length single decker buses, plus they're to be configured for standing, with only 25 seats or so. The idea with the O-Route is that it's mainly for short hops, as once you combine it with the 90 minute switching ticket, there'll almost always be a better way of getting across town, i.e. you get the O-Route to a spine that brings you across the city.

On this subject, as others have pointed out, lithium is fine, the issue is Cobalt.

While this is a tender so we can't say for sure yet, the two most likely buses to be part of this tender do NOT use Lithium Ion Batteries, they actually use different battery technologies that contain NO Cobalt.

The two most likely contenders are probably *:
    - ADL-BYD Enviro200EV - Iron Phosphate Battery
    - Irizar i2e - Sodium Nickel Battery

Neither batteries include any Cobalt.

* I say these are the contenders based on the fact that these are the two single deck EV's operating with London Bus and pretty much the only option in the UK market. Of course a black horse option like Wrights, Optare, VanHool might come along. Having said that I'd be surprised if the Envrio200EV wasn't the front runner, given the NTA's order of 600 ADL Double Decker and given GoAhead operate over a hundred 200EV's in London and seem very happy with them.

Battery tech companies are making massive strides to greatly reduce or remove Cobalt from EV batteries.

BTW Here is something that will really surprise you. The second highest use of Cobalt in the world is in Oil Refineries. It is a key part of the process of converting Oil into Petrol/Diesel. So every time you fill you car/bus with Diesel it is making use of Cobalt.

My bad but I also thought the weight requirements would mean it could carry less I could be wrong though.

No, not enough to make a difference.

Take the Enviro200EV, it comes in 3 different lengths, take the middle length, 10.8 meter long, takes 79 passengers. The closest comparison, the Wrigths Streelite at 10.2m used by GoAhead Ireland takes 75.

BTW the longest Enviro200EV is 12 meters long and can take 90 passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Can the Enviro200EV charge from a 150kW power supply?

Advertisement