Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sycamore bug?

Options
  • 05-08-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I have two sycamore saplings growing. They were growing very, already up to 40cm tall and only a few months old. However, I noticed in the last few weeks the leaves have started discolour - turning a mix of brown and orange with white, flakey looking spots. I just assumed they were dying in autumn so I left them to fall off naturally, however they have yet to. I decided to pick off the very bad ones from the trunk, while leaving the healthier looking ones and the new growing leaves. However, while doing one of them I found what looked like a soft branch sticking between the trunk and one of the leaf stems. I tried to pull it off, assuming it was just part of a leaf I didn't pull off, but when I touched it it moved - it seemed to be alive. I got a small handheld clippers and when I touched it with that, it moved again, to slide around the blades. When I cut it, green goo came out. I dumped it but I'm wondering if it is a known bug or worm infecting sycamore trees? I don't really care if these two trees die as they're so young, however I'd rather be more informed so I don't accidentally spread it to any other sycamore trees around. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sounds like what I found before on a blackcurrant bush where a green twig actually was a caterpillar camouflaged as part of the plant. I posted a video of it here. Since you probably cut the caterpillar in half from what you describe doing I don't think you need to worry about spreading anything. I don't think these caterpillars are specific to a particular type of plant and not even sure to be honest what type of butterfly they turn into. Sycamore are very tough plants so I think your young trees should be fine.
    Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Thank you for the reply. :-) Hopefully it's just that. These are some pictures of the leaves for further context. These are just the ones I left on, the ones I pulled off were worse

Advertisement