Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins under skirting, why on earth?

• 17-06-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can anyone suggest as to why every room in my house that I bought and am fully renovating, has coins pushed under the skirting boards?
    Now it's 100% not a coincidence that every room, even the bathroom and the basement, has happened to have loose coins somehow manage to wedge themselves in there!! Even the wooden floor in one room has had several coins appear to be hammered in between the planks.
    Is this some old custom I've not heard of or a good luck 'charm'?
    It's intrigued me now for months.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How old are they?

I reckon it was either a child or someone with OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭8mv

I reckon it's simply that coins can fall to the floor and if they are not retrieved can be pushed under the skirting by a vacuum cleaner or by people kicking them as they walk by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically they probably just fell and got pushed in; but people may have used them as spacers when attaching skirting and then been unable to retrieve them - if they're all the same type that is. Something easy to hand and a consistent width.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

What era are the coins?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The coins were used as spacers to allow for expansion in the wood. It’d be cool to see how old they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ozfish

The coins are all 5 or lower denomination cents so after 2002 (that was the year of the Euro wasn't it).
    I can see the spacer idea as a possibility but I would say these are more than likely the original skirting boards from the 70's that I've now replaced so that would be a no go as was punts back then.
    The kicked under theory could be reasonable but in the rooms that were carpeted it seemed like they were pushed under intentionally as very little gap between carpet and skirting base.
    Perhaps I will never know, I just found it interesting as one or two would be 'normal' loss or dropped, but there were a good few in every room.
    Perhaps the house is haunted by a poltergeist, now that would be interesting ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

From albania.Ward against a gypsy curse. Do not remove the coins.😱

Advertisement