Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a landlord

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Back again :)

Have you rented any of them unfurnished? Have a strong preference? Do you think that's becoming more common to provide or to be a request from tenants?

I'm of the opinion that I won't bother leaving anything in the kitchen in future (other than appliances e.g. delph), even as a tenant I'd always store away the crappy random stuff that was left there and use my own and then put it back at the end of the tenancy. I've wondered if the completely unfurnished route is becoming more popular though.

• Company Representative Posts: 87 Verified rep I'm a Landlord, AMA

robindch wrote: »
    Do you reckon there's any benefit to using property managers (like rentals.ie) who take some percentage of the rent in order to find tenants, leases, billing and the rest of it?

On an average month, how much time would you spend chasing bills, organizing repairs and that kind of thing?

Hi,
    Sometimes yes /Sometimes no , I have heard they will just stick any tenants in and when thing go wrong it with them its up to you to sort it.
    I do it all my self from the add on daft to the lease to the day to day stuff

last year I think I had 2 plumber call outs for the heating
    and one other person needed a new electric shower
    that was in in the entire year really

argolis wrote: »
    Back again :)

Have you rented any of them unfurnished? Have a strong preference? Do you think that's becoming more common to provide or to be a request from tenants?

I'm of the opinion that I won't bother leaving anything in the kitchen in future (other than appliances e.g. delph), even as a tenant I'd always store away the crappy random stuff that was left there and use my own and then put it back at the end of the tenancy. I've wondered if the completely unfurnished route is becoming more popular though.

is there not a min spec that you have to leave there as per PRTB rules
    all mine are furnished but the furnishings were decent new sofa new beds etc … there wasn't a lot really ,table ,6 chairs ,3 beds...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Do you worry about people staying in your property for too long and getting squaters rights etc? How do you know you are protected from that.

rtron wrote: »
    Do you worry about people staying in your property for too long and getting squaters rights etc? How do you know you are protected from that.

I have a lease with the tenants ...squatters rights or adverse possession takes 14 years if somebody was in my house for 14 years without a lease or rent I would know about it

• Advertisement

What's the ridiculous requests you've gotten from a tenant? A letting agency once told me they had to go and change a lightbulb.

My housemates sometimes badger me to ask our landlord for a new coach; is that a reasonable request? I think it's fine personally, a little frayed around the edges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

What's the ridiculous requests you've gotten from a tenant? A letting agency once told me they had to go and change a lightbulb.

My housemates sometimes badger me to ask our landlord for a new coach; is that a reasonable request? I think it's fine personally, a little frayed around the edges.

Where will you be going in the coach?

One asked my for his Deposit back when he was in 2 months of Arrears,the house was on the news due to the fact he built a bomb in the garage and blew up an estate agents in Roscommon and the Gardaí raided the house and damaged the front door and the plasterboard in the ceiling ..

I thought that as pretty ridiculous..

Another tenant had smashed 2 chairs and put punch holes in a door and told me it was wear and tear :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What's the ridiculous requests you've gotten from a tenant?

Mine wanted me to replace the battery in the smoke alarm.

Jesus I need to proof read.

*most ridiculous

*couch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Are you paying tax throughout the year on all your properties or do you have to pay off a big lump sum at the end of each year? When does your tax bill arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Do you have 3 seperate trackers or just the one combined tracker?

Brego888 wrote: »
    Are you paying tax throughout the year on all your properties or do you have to pay off a big lump sum at the end of each year? When does your tax bill arrive?

Hi there it’s a big lump sum in October 31st

housetypeb wrote: »
    Do you have 3 seperate trackers or just the one combined tracker?

Hi there just the one combined
    It’s a tracker of .75% so I’m pretty lucky that I have it

Hi there just the one combined
    It’s a tracker of .75% so I’m pretty lucky that I have it

What's a tracker of .75% mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

As good a rate as is out there at the moment. Only available to those who battled through the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Current ECB rate (0%) + 0.75% I would presume.

So effectively 0.75%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I'm not trying to be smart but if you are saving up for a mortgage, it might be an idea to get a full understanding of the different types of mortgages, LTV ratios, compound interest, etc.

If you are going to make what will be one of the, if not the, biggest financial decision of your life make sure you fully understand what you are getting into.
    There was no shortage of broke folk during the crash complaining that they just signed whatever was put in front of them and it wasn't their fault because they did not understand / the lender should be responsible.
    It can save you tens of thousands over the lifetime of your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I definitely wont do that but I appreciate its good advice

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for all of the questions and engagements folks, I think we will close this one up here. Thanks to our guest for his time, for his answers and for his patience :D

If anyone wants to apply to do an AMA themselves, they can PM me or email me on niamh@boards.ie.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement