Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So...what's the best hair dye?

• 22-10-2004 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

As a hell of a lot of us dye our hair, I thought I'd ask which one is best!

Best-Schwarzkopf LIVE colour. Lasts for ages, not too dear, vibrant colour.
    Worst- L'Oreal Feria- yes it DOES wreck AND ravage my hair! And what exactly is "multi-faceted colour"?

Clairol's Nice'n'Easy is ok-ish. Doesn't dry out hair but the colour fades quickly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

I'd agree Neev, Loreal pretty much sucks, even though it's supposed to have this great reputation. I've used clairol, the lasts 6-shampoo kind, and it wasn't bad, but I'm always on the lookout for a good red hair dye! can you get the first brand you mentioned in regular shops??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

neev wrote:
    Best-Schwarzkopf LIVE colour. Lasts for ages, not too dear, vibrant colour.
    I wish :confused: I tried using that on my black hair to die it Ice Blonde /Offler would kill for Blonde hair/ and it turned out yellow :o It doesn't really suit me......but I can still dream ;) Nothing works in my hair the black colour beats the crap out of any invading colour, I used two bottles of the stuff by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to use the Schwarzkopf one - cosmic red and then the blue black one but it used to dye my pillow case too!:rolleyes: Ì've settled down a bit now and use the newish one that comes with bleach to do highlights too - can't remember the name but everyone told me my hair was really nice when I started using it :cool: . I used Feria once but it dripped everywhere :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

shiv wrote:
    I'd agree Neev, Loreal pretty much sucks, even though it's supposed to have this great reputation. I've used clairol, the lasts 6-shampoo kind, and it wasn't bad, but I'm always on the lookout for a good red hair dye! can you get the first brand you mentioned in regular shops??

Yup, Boots do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I use Movida, it's supposed to last for 24 washes but I get a bit longer than that out of it. I leave it in for about 30 mins to get a vibrant effect.
    It always leaves me hair really conditioned afterwards, and has the added effect of covering grey (not that I have any of course!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

I use Movida, it's supposed to last for 24 washes but I get a bit longer than that out of it. I leave it in for about 30 mins to get a vibrant effect.
    It always leaves me hair really conditioned afterwards, and has the added effect of covering grey (not that I have any of course!!)

Commuterised is Movida a semi-permanent hair dye?? So you don't get the "roots need to be done" look?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i used the feria, i find it very good. doesn't dry my hair out, i get a great colour, and it lasts pretty well. even when it fades it turns from purple to reddy and copper so it still looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

hey Danni, yeah Movida is a semi-perm, or demi-perm I think they're know as now!

No roots for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Any advice on unnatural hairdye colours, ie Blue? I have mine dyed blue for a good while now, and I use Jeans Colour hair dye, but if someone can recommend something else I'd try it, it stains my pillow and shirts for a good five days to a week afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You can get blue and loads of other colours in Asha, on the top floor of Stephen's Green shopping centre. I think there's a tatto/piercing parlour on the same floor that does them too. I had pink for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Never, ever dye my hair, but only because I imagine I won't get even coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

hey Danni, yeah Movida is a semi-perm, or demi-perm I think they're know as now!

No roots for me!

Oh cool! I'll defo try that so. Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

edibility wrote:
    Any advice on unnatural hairdye colours, ie Blue? I have mine dyed blue for a good while now, and I use Jeans Colour hair dye, but if someone can recommend something else I'd try it, it stains my pillow and shirts for a good five days to a week afterwards.

La Riche - Directions. You can get it in Asha as mentioned, top of Stephen's Green center. Or buy it directly from them:

http://www.lariche-directions.com

It's the business. Really easy to apply, nice vibrant colours (so long is your hair is light enough, or bleached).

Flamingo Pink (it looks a lot pinker IRL than in the sample pic on their site), and Poppy Red are my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I used to use the dreaded "SUN IN" spray. You know the one that lightens your hair in the sun? It was dirt cheap the bottle lasted all summer while I worked outside in the heat and I got a great colour (going from chocolate brown to sandy blonde) with no nasty consequences! But alas the summer did end and my hair began to fade so I moved from spray to gel and sun to hairdryer. Hair ends up almost white in places and half it broke off from extensive heat damage. Oh memories. Moved on to using John Frieda's Beach Blonde Sun Streaks. Weak colour but at least I still have my hair!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭missy me

I would have to say that stargazer r the best for unusual colours,you can get it in asha but think its like a lil cheaper in adhoc,temple bar. you can also get lots of hair dye(unusual) in a shop called terrysales(i think) its on abbey street across the road from the easons side entrance,its a hairdressers supply store kinda thing but its cool(but dont forget to add ur own tax before paying) it has various differant makes of semi perm hair colours such as stargazer and fudge (i think)

missy me wrote:
    I would have to say that stargazer r the best for unusual colours,you can get it in asha but think its like a lil cheaper in adhoc,temple bar. you can also get lots of hair dye(unusual) in a shop called terrysales(i think) its on abbey street across the road from the easons side entrance,its a hairdressers supply store kinda thing but its cool(but dont forget to add ur own tax before paying) it has various differant makes of semi perm hair colours such as stargazer and fudge (i think)

Stargazer is not bad, but because it washes out in five or six washes it fades and blurs a bit everytime in between. I started off with two thin dark blue stripes and then by the end of it had two wide greeny blue stripes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

missy me wrote:
    in a shop called terrysales(i think) its on abbey street across the road from the easons side entrance,its a hairdressers supply store kinda thing but its cool(but dont forget to add ur own tax before paying) it has various differant makes of semi perm hair colours such as stargazer and fudge (i think)

yeah terrysales is great, and they have all the brushes to make application easier. must make a trip back there soon and stock up actually. the colours were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I used a hair dye the other day to put streaks of blonde in my hair...worked really well....It was called Jerome Russell Complete Highlighting Kit. You get everything in it that a hairdresser would use. Powder bleach, peroxide & they give u a cap so you don't have to do your whole head, u can just pick out the hair u want to bleach.
    Got it in Boots in Stephen's Green centre (couldn't find it in any of the other Boots) Every other dye I tried just turned my hair red-orange but this one turned it blonde (helped by the peroxide i think :D )
    535201.gif

fletch wrote:
    I used a hair dye the other day to put streaks of blonde in my hair...worked really well....It was called Jerome Russell Complete Highlighting Kit. You get everything in it that a hairdresser would use. Powder bleach, peroxide & they give u a cap so you don't have to do your whole head, u can just pick out the hair u want to bleach.
    Got it in Boots in Stephen's Green centre (couldn't find it in any of the other Boots) Every other dye I tried just turned my hair red-orange but this one turned it blonde (helped by the peroxide i think :D )
    535201.gif

Can you use it if your hair in already dyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Can you use it if your hair in already dyed?
    It doesn't advise it but hey they all say that to cover themselves....I had already dyed mine n had no problems, it turned out blonde & not yellow, like most other products will turn your hair.
    It's peroxide at the end of the day so it will just strip out whatever colour is already therer

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    It doesn't advise it but hey they all say that to cover themselves....I had already dyed mine n had no problems, it turned out blonde & not yellow, like most other products will turn your hair.
    It's peroxide at the end of the day so it will just strip out whatever colour is already therer
    oh right , might give it an oul shot sometime so

Stargazer is okay, but it's nothing compared to La Riche Directions. That stuff goes in so easy, and the colours are so great, ah I just love it.

I've gone all funky again. Got bored with brown/black so now I'm ruby red which is almost pinkish red.

awwwwwwwwww i have a new bottle of shocking pink stargazer and cant dye my hair cos im startn a new job on sat and dont know if they wud appreciate it as much as i wud!!!!!!!!!!!!! i usually use boots blonding stuff, its cheap and easy (just like fletch)just kidn, happy birthday kid!!!! who remembers the wonderful young teen days of "sun-in"?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lost_lad

I used stargazer it loses the main color after 2/3 washes and then your left with green/white/yellow hair till you go and get more!!!
    I have been unable to find a permanent green hair color or anything not mainstream, in Dublin and have been looking. I'm presently stuck buying stargazer by the crate just to keep what i got green or being left with scumbag-yellow hair.(You all know the type) . If anyone knows where i can get permanent vibrant colors in dublin or galway even i do be there fairly often i would very much appreciate it.

Did you try the one I've mentioned repeatedly in this thread?

You can get it in Asha in St Stephen's Green shopping centre (top floor), one or two shops in Temple Bar sell it too.

You won't find a permanent version of funky coloured hair dyes. They all fade/wash out (somewhat).

missy me wrote:
    who remembers the wonderful young teen days of "sun-in"?????????
    I DO!!!

my main memory of it is the gaeltacht and all the lads tryn to use up all my sun in and left me none!fun and games people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Captain Jesus

I find that Manic Panic is one of the best out there. I bleach it and then use midnight blue or shocking blue and it stays for a very long time and is nice and bright! :D they also have some colors that glow under black lights. i like them and they're really fun, but they tend to fade a little sooner.

yeah the manic panic websites cool,where can u buy it in ireland or is it only online!id like to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Captain Jesus

no clue. i'm in the states and i just head on over to Hot Topic at KOP mall to get some

Advertisement