Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will we fly again?

• 27-03-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder when we will fly again?

Is it very unrealistic to think we could be flying again and going on holidays in time for the August bank holiday?

I'd be quietly confident that things will slowly get going again from June but like to hear what other people's opinions are?

Comments

Is it very unrealistic to think we could be flying again and going on holidays in time for the August bank holiday?

I'd be quietly confident that things will slowly get going again from June but like to hear what other people's opinions are?

It is so difficult to know, but usually in these things a well-judged compromise between commerce & health & safety ensues. Remember the ash cloud which stopped flying for weeks? It was found upon testing & examination that flights could resume in safety, and flying started getting back to normal. I reckon a small amount of flights may commence as soon as we have a better handle on the virus, with restrictions on seating etc, eg 2 persons on each row of 3 seats. It will be prohibitively expensive for most. There will be all sorts of precautions going through airports.

As for the ordinary holiday traveller, not alone do we need flights to operate, but accommodation needs to be available, and when this happens nobody knows.

I’m doing a bit of speculation here, but I’m thinking that those who are considered to have had Covid-19 (and are well recovered may have an immunity for some time and not either get it again or pass it on) may get a dispensation to travel. This is, if the experts concur that this is proved to be the case. Then it would be a matter of proving you have had Covid-19. A positive test in the past, of course, would be conclusive. So would an antibodies test, and this will probably be one the standard test and may be a requirement for travel. There may be a doctor’s certificate required to travel. This is how I’m thinking it will play out in, say two to three months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not in 2020.. IMO

I think after the majority of countries get a hold on the situation, they will not rush to open up borders etc.. and when they do, people will be told to isolate for 14 days upon entry. Making holidays a little pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When did we ever fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you have flights to Spain booked and paid for September and Spain was demanding quarantine for 14 days for arrivals should you be entitled to a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

billyhead wrote: »
    If you have flights to Spain booked and paid for September and Spain was demanding quarantine for 14 days for arrivals should you be entitled to a refund?

No you would not be entitled to a refund.
    If the flight was to fly ,it would be your choice to travel or not.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    No you would not be entitled to a refund.
    If the flight was to fly ,it would be your choice to travel or not.

Not really if you were booked to return in a week and were officially required to quarantine for a fortnight. It’s not quite as black and white as it being a “personal choice”.

OP (and others) if you have flights booked, you are in a very big boat with loads of people. I had a couple of little trips lined up, haven’t a clue if I just have to write off the money spent.

I remember during the ash cloud, Air Greenland nearly went down the tubes, and they simply had to declare that they could not fork out in putting people up in hotels. Greenland is one of the most expensive destinations in the world and it meant tourists could be forming out thousands on accommodation and food for a week or two. Air Greenland is an absolutely essential device for the Greenlanders, so couldn’t risk going to the wall. No doubt we will see businesses having to de late that consumers money cannot be refunded. I have already lost a two night booking as I got sick and cancelled before the hotel was forced to close anyway. It’s life, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Not really if you were booked to return in a week and were officially required to quarantine for a fortnight. It’s not quite as black and white as it being a “personal choice”.

That's what I am i.e booked for a week's trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The op is taking about September,as of now there is no announcement for a lockdown in September in Ireland or Spain.
    So as of now the op is not intitled to a refund.
    That may change as circumstances change over time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just had a quick look and there is a surprising large number of planes in the sky over Europe, USA and Asia and China, South America and Australia pretty quiet. I even seen a couple of Aer Lingus.
    I was surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

At the risk of backseat modding.....

This thread is more appropriate in Aviation & Aircraft. Where there is a very active flightradar24 thread...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057555939&page=610

coylemj wrote: »
    At the risk of backseat modding.....

This thread is more appropriate in Aviation & Aircraft. Where there is a very active flightradar24 thread...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057555939&page=610

I have no idea where it is and don't really care, i thought it automatically fit in where appropriate..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

More people will see your post in the correct forum, which is the Aviation and Aircraft forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

When we do fly again, we will need to submit a medical cert that you are fit and healthy.

To transport animals abroad, they need to be certified. After this, the same will apply to humans.

I can also see a lot more restrictions on flying. Is it really necessary to go abroad multiple times a year for holidaying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Nobody knows, best to plan for the virus to be gone, buy holiday and make plans. Otherwise it’s fairly depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m supposed to be going to Italy the last week of June into July

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I've pretty much abandoned hope for my planned trip to Argentina in December (Eclipse chasing, yay).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Nobody knows, best to plan for the virus to be gone, buy holiday and make plans. Otherwise it’s fairly depressing

Keep in mind Airlines WILL go bankrupt before this is out, and it's never fun or easy getting money bank from them, even when they are solvent.

spurious wrote: »
    More people will see your post in the correct forum, which is the Aviation and Aircraft forum.

The very idea that informing people that people the world over are doing as the please and this forum seems to ignore this fact is strange.
    If its hidden away in a lost thread it makes no difference.
    I could not find but it may not be as important as i thought....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There are a lot of near empty planes flying around at the moment. Some routes are being maintained for cargo and basic connectivity.

Air traffic should fall quite steeply next week though.

• Advertisement

I would have and will put in Avation but all i could see was travel, where is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

markfinn wrote: »
    Keep in mind Airlines WILL go bankrupt before this is out, and it's never fun or easy getting money bank from them, even when they are solvent.

Imagine a World with travel insurance :-)

If you are flying with ballygobackward airline then yes it’s risky

Any of the AIG and big airlines won’t go bust, government prop them up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helpmeplz

[quote="salonfire;112995072"

I can also see a lot more restrictions on flying. Is it really necessary to go abroad multiple times a year for holidaying?[/quote]

Not necessary but if you can afford to it’s your choice. Alcohol isn’t necessary but people will choose to go to the pubs when they open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

With all those planes grounded , they'll have to be serviced and make sure all the oil and hydraulics are safe to go again.

Like a modern car they need to be run frequently to get the engines, pistons going and working properly.

Flaps and all moving parts will need lubricants and the fuel sitting idle won't be good.

Its an absolute nightmare for the airline industry.

Hot air balloons and steampunk will take off lol

I don't fly myself but I can see how people who love flying away to places will be frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Actually might cycle to the Continent, ferry, UK, ferry, anybody who comes through this will have "all the time in the world" for taking deep grateful breaths on the open road.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

salonfire wrote: »
    When we do fly again, we will need to submit a medical cert that you are fit and healthy.

To transport animals abroad, they need to be certified. After this, the same will apply to humans.

I can also see a lot more restrictions on flying. Is it really necessary to go abroad multiple times a year for holidaying?

Same logic, Is it really necessary to transport animals abroad.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Imagine a World with travel insurance :-)

If you are flying with ballygobackward airline then yes it’s risky

Any of the AIG and big airlines won’t go bust, government prop them up

Yes, imagine...
    The AA wrote:

Customers who purchase Travel Insurance after 16/03/2020
    • Any customer who purchases a new policy after 16/03/2020 will not be covered for Coronavirus (COVID-19) related cancellation claims

Imagine a world where there is an unprecedented global emergency event for our times. Oh wait, no need to imagine, we're there.

Even if you could find a decent insurer to cover you, there is no guarantee they will survive the pending global recession and be able to payout.

There are a host of airlines who are 'too big to fail' and who would be bailed out by their government in the event of bankruptcy, most definitely. This will be to ensure the airline can survive and maintain their workforce, and not to immediately refund consumers who booked a holiday during the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Helpmeplz wrote: »
    Not necessary but if you can afford to it’s your choice. Alcohol isn’t necessary but people will choose to go to the pubs when they open.

It was your choice.

With the new normal, it may not be your choice anymore. Widespread travel allowed this virus spread so far and so quickly.

You really think there won't be steps put in place to prevent the widespread destruction of economies in favour of allowing leisurely travel?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

So basically your view of something that is current to do with health and travel be stuck at the end of a thread that is 4 or 5 years old.
    I was not talking about Air Traffic, i was saying that quite a large proportion of the world is carrying on as normal.

get real...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement