Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moisture Meter for testing caravans.

Options
  • 24-03-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Do people use these when buying caravans, I'm thinking of getting one before I go looking. As another poster in this group has had a rough draw on a recent purchase I'd like to elevate as much chance as I can. Something like this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Do people use these when buying caravans, I'm thinking of getting one before I go looking. As another poster in this group has had a rough draw on a recent purchase I'd like to elevate as much chance as I can. Something like this .

Insist on a recent damp report from a professional. The cheap damp testers are only suitable for testing moisture levels in firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

db wrote: »
    Insist on a recent damp report from a professional. The cheap damp testers are only suitable for testing moisture levels in firewood.

Not gonna be spending big money so it's gonna be hard to insist on a damp report.. if I was selling in the bracket I'm looking, I'd be saying sling ur hook and wait till the next call comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

The majority of moisture meters are resistive, they need to penetrate the material they are testing to give a meaningful reading especially in something like a caravan where surfaces are covered in melamine etc. You can buy more expensive capacitive / electromagentic meters but their readings are thrown off by metal or super expensive microwave meters not sure how they do with a mixed subtrate including metal.

A low moisture reading is kind of meaningless unless you'd poked it into every square inch of the caravan leaving it looking like a pin cushion and can give a false sense of security there is no substitute for looking under floors carpets in lockers, every nook and cranny and pressing/tapping walls, floors everywhere to check for delamination especially around windows and seams. Your nose if you have a good sense of smell is a powerful tool also for isolating areas for further inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

The majority of moisture meters are resistive, they need to penetrate the material they are testing to give a meaningful reading especially in something like a caravan where surfaces are covered in melamine etc. You can buy more expensive capacitive / electromagentic meters but their readings are thrown off by metal or super expensive microwave meters not sure how they do with a mixed subtrate including metal.

A low moisture reading is kind of meaningless unless you'd poked it into every square inch of the caravan leaving it looking like a pin cushion and can give a false sense of security there is no substitute for looking under floors carpets in lockers, every nook and cranny and pressing/tapping walls, floors everywhere to check for delamination especially around windows and seams. Your nose if you have a good sense of smell is a powerful tool also for isolating areas for further inspection.

This - poking and prodding in every nook and cranny is the way to go. Concentrating your poking around the usual spots, corners, around all windows and skylights.

Last caravan i sold was a 1998 Swift which was to my mind damp free and had given us four great years of service. Any requests for inspections were most welcome but i would not have been transporting it to someone to get it professionally checked and certified.

Likewise the replacement was purchased through donedeal and i did all my own checks, including a thorough (as you can be without poking a damp meter through walls inspection of every panel in the van. I was satisfied that there was no damp present based on my inspection and five years later it is still damp free.

I walked away from a few bargains where I discovered soft walls during inspection. One particular swift was soft enough that i almost put my finger through the wallpaper under one window. Any signs like that and away you go. When i mentioned the wall to that particular private seller he offered the van at half his advertised price, which was already keen. I thanked him for his time and went on my way.

Advertisement