Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help re flights to US

• 23-03-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I have flights booked through Expedia to go to the States from March 28th - April 5th - obviously I can't go now.

I was expecting to receive some communication from them regarding cancellation and refund but have received nothing.

My itinerary includes all the usual wording about how I cannot cancel but I had anticipated given that I literally cannot legally travel that I'd get my money back.

I have tried to contact Expedia however due to the volume of inquiries, I have been unable to get through having waited up to an hour.

Anyone know what I should do or what I should be entitled to? Will I likely get a refund in time if I just sit tight? Or even in these circumstances, am I still entitled to nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Who is the airline? Try contacting them directly. We are banned from the US at the moment so you should get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is the flight actually running?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I had the same problem with Vayama. They literally shut their phone lines and still haven't responded to the email I sent them over a week ago. The flight I was due to be on has already flown by now!

Thankfully, Air France were able to reschedule my flight with no hassle when I contacted them directly despite the fact that I booked through a 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are they gone bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Who is the airline? Try contacting them directly. We are banned from the US at the moment so you should get a refund. "

Your contract is with Expedia but you might get some joy depending on the airline. Air France (see above) were sound!

US citizens can still fly into the US, you everybody is not banned.

Unfortunately, contractually it's up to you to ensure you have the correct paperwork to get into a country.

The airlines want to hold on to your money, they don't care whether you fly or not.

If they cancel either leg of the journey you get all your money back.

One idea is to try to change the flights to later date and hope the airline will cancel either leg of the journey.

A lot of airlines will now allow you to change without the usual fee, they will however charge you the difference in fares.

Given how few people are flying you should be able to get a new flight with no extra charge.

Picking the new dates is a bit of a lottery.

I changed to two different midweek dates, in the hope that the airlines will keep the higher revenue weekend flights.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Is the flight actually running?

I don't definitively know the answer but I suspect it is as US citizens can return to the US.

Thank you everyone for replying.

The most helpful suggestion was to go to the airlines directly.

My Dub - US & US - Dub flights have both been cancelled by the airline (Lufthansa). I would feel it's fairly safe to assume that will mean I can rebook or get my money back.

My connecting flights in the US (United Airlines) are still running and their website directs me to speak to Expedia if I want to change or cancel which is a pain but so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Monokne wrote: »
    My connecting flights in the US (United Airlines) are still running and their website directs me to speak to Expedia if I want to change or cancel which is a pain but so be it.

I'm in a similar situation and am just curious to know if your connecting flights are part of the same booking?

They are.

I tried to contact the airlines as the connecting flights ended up cancelled too. I was redirected to Expedia.

I was on hold to Expedia for 2 hours and 48 minutes last night before giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is why you should always book direct with the airline

• Advertisement

That is very helpful to me right now, thanks Gael. :-)

Just in case anyone stumbles across this who has the same problem as me:

Expedia are now offering to arrange cancellation & refunds online:

https://www.expedia.ie/travel-alert-refunds

Advertisement