Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus voucher

• 19-03-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

I had booked a flight in 6 weeks or so with Aer Lingus. I can rebook it but they have also offered a voucher for the value + 10%.

They didn't handle this well as they didn't give any T&Cs for the voucher, the link gives EU Regulation 261/2004.

Does anyone any insight into this, can you just use away at the value of the voucher? I live in Ireland, so no real problem doing that in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I was looking at this earlier. the link to T&Cs is incorrect
    I want to knoq how long it is valid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I'm in the same boat, was due to fly to Boston on the 8th of April but have been offered the same.

I'm in two minds, I'm wondering if there will be an expiry date on the flight voucher, at this stage I don't know if we will get a refund closer to the time

Anyone else in the same boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Its a bit shoddy that they didn't provide the link. For their own cash flow it should suit them to get people to take vouchers but they have made it guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Same situation except I'm going the other way, I reckon they're just trying to save cash. I'd say they'll probably end up cancelling the flight and have to refund so they're trying to get as many people to change of their own accord first.

That being said I might take the voucher if it didn't expire for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

its a shakedown.
    if they are not going to operate a flight, why is it still for sale on the website?
    wait until closer to departure, then they will have to refund you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

its a shakedown.
    if they are not going to operate a flight, why is it still for sale on the website?
    +1
    From the site just now

Contacting Aer Lingus
    We're experiencing high message and call volumes at the moment.

Please make this website your first port of call before tweeting, messaging, or calling.

Please don't call or message unless you're booked to travel in the next 72 hours. This way, agents can help those in need of immediate assistance.

Thanks for understanding

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Offered the same flying mid may don’t know what I’ll do take voucher or see will
    they cancel flight maybe

its a shakedown.

Describing it as a shakedown is not fair, it is a reasonable measure to conserve cash flow, the virus is not their fault.
    However, it is gross incompetence not to have clear T&Cs for the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lagore

I received same email and sent them a DM on Twitter to ask how long the voucher was valid for. I got an immediate reply that it is for 5 years.
    I’m not travelling till 30th May, Dublin to New York but home from Orlando.
    I honestly think I’ll wait a while before I accept a voucher as I don’t trust them at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Voucher is for 5 years. I received one the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Lagore

Downtime wrote: »
    Voucher is for 5 years. I received one the other day.

And I assume it can be used on any route in the future? Do they give the voucher for full amount paid at time of booking including bags/seats etc?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lagore wrote: »
    And I assume it can be used on any route in the future? Do they give the voucher for full amount paid at time of booking including bags/seats etc?
    Good question - so does it include the "Admin Fee" for example that I see on my booking.

I'd be happy enough to take it up. My destination actually has zero cases. We're going for a weekend but I think the fact that all visitors now need to self isolate for 14 days upon arrival might dampen the holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was offered this via email today too.
    Tempted tbh, we were due to fly to Verona on 14th april...might just wait til start of April to see if they cancel flights (which they will)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gmisk wrote: »
    I was offered this via email today too.
    Tempted tbh, we were due to fly to Verona on 14th april...might just wait til start of April to see if they cancel flights (which they will)

If all flights to Spain are cancelled (which they are until April 30th), then surely to God flights to Italy must be gone as well :eek:

I've a feeling that the systems just haven't caught up properly yet.... I've got a refund offer email for my flight to Spain in April, but others due to travel around the same time have either got nothing, or the change/voucher email.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaka2001

Does anyone know if the voucher can be used on multiple trips or would it all have to be used in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If all flights to Spain are cancelled (which they are until April 30th), then surely to God flights to Italy must be gone as well :eek:

I've a feeling that the systems just haven't caught up properly yet.... I've got a refund offer email for my flight to Spain in April, but others due to travel around the same time have either got nothing, or the change/voucher email.

Where is that info about flights to Spain cancelled till 30/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Where is that info about flights to Spain cancelled till 30/4?

"Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April.

As a result of these changes, Aer Lingus flight EIXXXX has been cancelled."

That's from the email I got from Aer Lingus 2 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

"Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April.

I got one of them too and the like to apply for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

kaka2001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the voucher can be used on multiple trips or would it all have to be used in one go?

As many as you like once the person booking matches the name on the voucher as the first named passenger on the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Brother is booked to fly to New York May 31st for a week. Got the same email offering the voucher.
    Unsure what to do as he doesn't want to go ow anyway.

I reckon he be better of waiting till closer the date as flights will probably still be grounded around then and he should be able to get a refund.
    TBH voucher ain't worth noting if there is no airline after all this is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Today Aer Lingus cut staff salaries by 50%, I'd insist on getting a refund rather than a voucher, they may not be around in a year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0319/1124219-daa-freezes-recruitment-and-pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

"Dear Guest,

Still waiting on my email, due to fly out March 26! (To Spain... obviously we know it's cancelled, we have cancelled and been refunded our hotel)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Four of us were due to fly to Manchester on 24th April for a weekend.
    I got the e-mail from Aer Lingus offering the two options:

1. Change your flight without a fee
    You can change the date of your trip at aerlingus.com. We’ve waived our change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply.

2. Apply for a voucher
    We’ll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So if your flight cost at total of €200, we’ll send you a €220 voucher. Terms and Conditions apply.

The Terms and Conditions link doesn’t work as already pointed out.

I see no mention of a date by which I need to make up my mind on applying for a voucher. My preference at this stage would be a full refund.

Does anybody know if there is a date by which I can opt for the voucher? Can I leave it until closer to the date? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I was due to fly to a wedding on the 27th of May and return on the 31st. What are the chances of flights still being grounded by then?

I don't need the flights now because the wedding has been moved to October!

So my only fear is I try and wait for cash and then the flights are going ahead by then and are useless to me!

The voucher page now has a FAQ
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/voucher-refund-request-form/

5 year validity, can be used on multiple flights.
    I'll likely go for this, taking cash is safer but that contributes to busting the national airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The voucher page now has a FAQ
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/voucher-refund-request-form/

5 year validity, can be used on multiple flights.
    I'll likely go for this, taking cash is safer but that contributes to busting the national airline.

It's not the national airline, it's owned by IAG since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Anybody else apply for the voucher but not get a confirmation email?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I also applied and got no confirmation mail.

My flight is scheduled for tomorrow so I hope they got the form and they don’t put us down as no shows... I don’t want to harass their call centres as know they will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

I'm booked to go to tenerife the 3rd of may
    I booked with travel republic
    My flights are paid for (aerlingus)
    Iv one more payment on the 19th of April
    Should I pay the last instalment or cancel now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    I'm booked to go to tenerife the 3rd of may
    I booked with travel republic
    My flights are paid for (aerlingus)
    Iv one more payment on the 19th of April
    Should I pay the last instalment or cancel now?

Similar situation. Heading away on the 2nd of May last payment due 18th April no ideato cancel or pay and hope they cancel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement