Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in Caravan

• 15-03-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi. I have damp in caravan. Bought privately only recently...Screwed but shure what can i do.
    See photo.
    I was quoted 5k to remove and replace 2 roof/awning rails. Cant afford that.
    My plan is.. and please tell me if its mad
    1...Fix the ingress problem externally. Probably roof rail/awning rail/ roof straps...rest seems pretty good to my untrained eye...
    2...Take my holiday and maybe in the autumn look at replacing some internal walls and floor that need it....
    Caravan is 2006 Bailey Pageant . The structure of these are made up from timber i think....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Could be window as well, water ingress travels.
    I'd pop the wall panel and see where the water is coming in.
    Then get some sika sealant and start re sealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Could be window as well, water ingress travels.
    I'd pop the wall panel and see where the water is coming in.
    Then get some sika sealant and start re sealing.

Thanks , the wall soft up top too and also behind appliances....

Can ye tell me if ye think this is an obvious pathway for water ...the gap in the rail I mean?
    Photo should be 90 degrees more clockwise ... gap is on roof.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

That's serious water ingress damage and should have been know to the seller, I feel your pain :(

If it were me I would try and get my money backb but if the seller did know then that kind of person is likely to show you the gate.
    If you are left stuck with the caravan the only way to recover its true value is a professional repair, but beware, there are a lot of unscrupulous prople out there who will take more of your good money from you for a botch job.

Note To All
    Always get a caravan or motorhome checked for damp (water ingress) by an independent professional before purchasing. Recently a friend of mine was saved from parting with €32k for a leaking motorhome by having it checked by a professional which cost €50, he said it was the best €50 he ever spent.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    That's serious water ingress damage and should have been know to the seller, I feel your pain :(

If it were me I would try and get my money backb but if the seller did know then that kind of person is likely to show you the gate.
    If you are left stuck with the caravan the only way to recover its true value is a professional repair, but beware, there are a lot of unscrupulous prople out there who will take more of your good money from you for a botch job.

Note To All
    Always get a caravan or motorhome checked for damp (water ingress) by an independent professional before purchasing. Recently a friend of mine was saved from parting with €32k for a leaking motorhome by having it checked by a professional which cost €50, he said it was the best €50 he ever spent.

Claims he was selling it for a friend . Same guy has a Campervan rental business... so I don’t buy the fact that he didn’t know... think I will go legal...

• Advertisement

Moggaman wrote: »
    Claims he was selling it for a friend . Same guy has a Campervan rental business... so I don’t buy the fact that he didn’t know... think I will go legal...

Your sales contract is with the person who sold it to you and who accepted your payment, I assume the same person gave you a bill of sale.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Your sales contract is with the person who sold it to you and who accepted your payment, I assume the same person gave you a bill of sale.

Yes handwritten invoice /receipt saying private sale , no warranty ...

Yes handwritten invoice /receipt saying private sale , no warranty ...

Ok there are two senarios

One, you say the seller is a business. If so the goods must also be of merchantable quality. From the photos that caravan is definatly NOT of merchantable quality, so under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 the seller is obliged to sort out the issue or you are entitled to a refund.

Second, for a 'private sale' the goods must be owned by the seller, you've stated earlier that he said he was selling for a friend. Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 in a private sale the goods must be owned by the seller.

The guy who sold you the goods can't have it both ways.

I woukld definitely talk to The Consumer Rights Associaltion at 01 6599430 for some qualified opinion before proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can ye tell me if ye think this is an obvious pathway for water ...the gap in the rail I mean?
    Photo should be 90 degrees more clockwise ... gap is on roof.

Thanks

It looks like something is missing there, clip or joiner / filler peace. Can you look on caravan parts sites and find something. Either way you could seal it and see if the water stops coming in.

Advertisement