Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place in Dublin to shop for men's suits?

Options
  • 05-03-2020 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Big interview coming up.

Need to look the part.

The degree to which it matters I don't know but, I'm not going with the contemporary "belt" look, hell no.

Suspenders, old school - like a boss;

ZSxAigM.jpg?1

Also no tie, top button open look.

Honestly I wanted to go for an all black look, for some reason that looks particularly boss to me, but then I may also appear as if I'm going to a funeral.

You get the general idea.

I'm also broad shouldered, not slender.

Any shops that are particularly good for that type of appearance or just a modern looking suit shop in Dublin?
    Also, I'm not exactly ballin' outta control so, although I'm not about to buy at the thrift store, it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg either.

Recommendations?

Would I be looking at Arnotts type of thing?
    Or any specific mens suit dedicated outlets?

I'm a high street shopping blank slate pretty much.
    LaptopGremlin is online now Report Post

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Budget?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Stheno wrote: »
    Budget?

200, give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Firstly, you won't get much for 200 quid. And if you do, it's likely to be a polyester suit and won't look good.

But can I just say one thing (and sorry for stepping out of line here) that if you are going for an interview, please don't do all the things you are saying you want to do.

Instead, my advice would be to wear:

- Navy suit
    - Black or dark brown shoes, well polished
    - White shirt
    - Plain or lightly patterned burgundy or dark coloured tie
    - Belt that matches your shoes

Why? For an interview you want to look smart but also dress a bit more boring than you might like, so as to not draw any unwanted attention to yourself. First impressions are made and kept within the first 30 seconds of meeting someone. If you look clean, crisp, and smart, immediately you're on the right track with the interviewers.

There's no point wearing braces anyway, as you'll have a jacket on you and you won't see them. Besides, they are more an affectation and are not commonly seen in offices. Don't bother messing around with tie bars and clunky cuff links etc.

As to where you could shop, you'd probably get a decent looking wool suit in M&S for a little over your budget. You've the advantage of also being able to buy a shirt and tie there too (and shoes while you're at it). I've had many suits from M&S and they are good quality. Just get it tailored before you wear it (get the jacket altered to fit, adjust the sleeve length, and make sure the trousers aren't too long or short). Make sure it fits across the shoulders as a priority.

In recent years I've been buying suits from Suitsupply - they are online only (but have stores in London and around the world) but I would HIGHLY recommend trying them out. Free shipping and returns as well so if you don't like it, you can send it back. They have more generous fits as well as more contemporary slimmer fits. They are the best suits you can get for under €400.

Best of luck with the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is a shop in Parnell St, West end near the junction with Capel St which sells suits at low prices. You might get a wool suit or less than €200. It will be a waist of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm actually dying to know how this turned out and what you wore. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement