Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sustainability and still shopping

Options
  • 10-02-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Theres a lot of noise lately about sustainability and I for one would like to be more informed and make better choices.

I'd be interested to hear what others are thinking/doing to make improvements. I'd also like to hear more about what brands are doing, and whats making a genuine impact and whats just "greenwashing"

I'm still a bit of a chronic shopper but I'm trying to do better. My current philosophy is to try to stick to the following.

1. Focus on investment pieces over fast fashion - I've bought some good coats, handbags, boots etc over the past few years and am wearing them for more than one season. This is going well, as I'm defintely buying less (although not spending less). For example, I've pretty much given up on buying highstreet handbags. I allow myself one designer bag per year (confession, sometimes its more than one a year, but heyho) and I still have and love all of them. I used to buy matching clutch bags for weddings and events etc but I don't do that at all anymore. Same with shoes. I now have a few high end pairs that I go to all the time, rather that buying something cheaper but new each time.

2. I try to always read the label before buying. I'm trying to avoid polyester and other synthetic fabrics where possible. My major downfall here is gym gear and wolly jumpers. Gym gear is almost always syntethic for obvious reasons, so I just try to buy good quality stuff like Lululemon. I have a pair from almost 5 years ago that I still wear. I have 4 pairs from them in total and IMO they outlast the likes of Nike, so are worth the extra investment.

3. Banned myself from certain retailers - namely Penneys and Asos. Penneys for obvious reasons - I've never LOVED anything from there and the quality never stands up for obvious reasons. Asos for similar reasons - a lot of their stuff is also cheaply made and often disappoints on arival. Also the environmental impact of sending stuff out in plastic and then returning it can't be good.... and I was finding myself returning a lot, so I've decided that its just not worth it.

4. I take care of my items and donate anything I no longer need or want to charity shops (I've always done this anyway)

Would be really interested to hear if others can recommend changes they've made to improve their fashion habits or brands who are truely operating in a sustainable manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I didn't change much. I don't buy plastic shoes because my feet tend to swell in them. I always kept my clothes for long time. I tend to check labels for composition and I re-wear my outfits.

I never liked fast fashion and I never buy anything just for one season. I'm not saying all my choices are sensible or particularly eco friendly but one thing I do is put things into shopping basket and forget about them. The amount of times I would come back to them and wonder what the hell was I thinking. As much as possible I try to avoid impulsive purchases. They are costly and they clog up wardrobe space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What I’m trying to do, and have been for a while now is to just buy as good quality as I can, within my budget, and look after them. It helps that I’m pushing on in age and like the idea of a steady wardrobe for my day to day that I don’t have to think too much about.

One of the biggest things I’m trying to change is buying quality shoes. Penney’s and other high street shoes just fall apart. I can’t afford to buy the highest quality I’d like at retail so I kept my eyes open and managed to get a pair of full leather brogues made in Northampton that can be resoled easily for €53 in TK maxx. Retail they go for nearly €300. So I’m not swearing off shopping just trying to be more mindful. Also learning how to make small adjustments and mends to clothes I already have to updated them has been great.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Theres a lot of noise lately about sustainability and I for one would like to be more informed and make better choices.

I'd be interested to hear what others are thinking/doing to make improvements. I'd also like to hear more about what brands are doing, and whats making a genuine impact and whats just "greenwashing"

I'm still a bit of a chronic shopper but I'm trying to do better. My current philosophy is to try to stick to the following.

1. Focus on investment pieces over fast fashion -...........

3. Banned myself from certain retailers - namely Penneys and Asos. ........

4. I take care of my items and donate anything I no longer need or want to charity shops (I've always done this anyway)

I'm a chap in my late 30s so fast fashion not a thing for me.
    I generally buy decent quality shoes that I hope to keep for decades. Going to re heeling, resoling, factory rebuild route maybe with some of them.

With clothes I buy decent stuff that lasts, I've cardigans, jackets and shirts that are more then a few years old and I'll have them at least that into the future.

Gym gear is as you say essentially plastic but it lasts for ages.

It's easy to do the investment pieces etc etc when you've a few quid spare but for many folk dropping a few hundred on a pair of shoes isn't an option. In saying that I rarely buy anything full price, the sales, TK Max or outlet centres are my go to for purchases. I've bought all but one pair of my decent shoes online.

I had to buy buy loads in 2019 as I lost 20kg but such is life. The shoe size was unaffected and it was mainly trousers & jeans that were needed. Didn't lose any shoulders thankfully either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks everyone - great to hear of people thinking a bit more, and I see this around me in real life too. (I suppose its hard to know if thats just my mid 30's echo chamber though - are "the kids" still buying loads of Boohoo/PLT et al and binning it after one wear because its already been seen on the gram?)

I've tried to invest in some good pieces of late. If you know what you want, you can do well in the sales. I find TK Max too chaotic personally, but I often leave things in my bag online to see if they'll reduce around sale time. Moved house recently enough and we can now walk to the sea and are generally trying to go more places on foot, so I a microdown jacket from The North Face and a pair of waterproof boots from Sorel (both reduced) - justification is that I should have both for years.

I bought some lovely cotton midi dresses and leather sandals last year that I fully intend on wearing on 2 upcoming holidays. I firmly believe I like them so much because they're cotton and I was so comfortable wearing them that I have positive memories and an now keen to wear them again.

I wash all my clothes on the eco cycle at 20 degrees (30 if actually dirty) and line dry everything rather than touble dry. I think this makes a difference to how they last.

I finally learned my lesson on cheap shoes about 2 years ago and just won't go near them. Having comfortable feet is something worth investing in IMO. My only issue with leather most of the time is the Irish weathers potential to ruin them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Making similar strides in my own shopping habits. I've always bought good quality coats and shoes, shoes mainly because I have a knee injury and need a bit of sturdiness, and coats, well I never feel dressed without a nice coat, and I never drive so I need to be cosy! I tend to spend a little bit on bags too, but that's only every 2-3 years.

This year I replaced 3 year old day-to-day boots with two pairs bought from Clark's in Kildare Village, both can be resoled if needed.

Making the effort to repair more stuff, I busted a seam (lol) on a pair of Zara leggings but sure it took me 10 mins to repair and even with my terrible sewing you'd never notice.

Any old t-shirts get cut up for cloths/rags to clean with, everything else to charity shop or given to aunties/cousins (great to have a big family of women!)

Started to buy some more clothes from better brands, few dresses and tops from Maje (on sale), the quality is brilliant and I've only bought versatile pieces - dresses that work with heels and flats, tops that are glam on their own, or casual with a denim shirt thrown over.

I do still buy a good bit off Asos, but I return very little, I'm pretty good at gauging my size and knowing what I like, and really try to only buy what I need. I'm really good at thinking in outfits, I'd never buy a top I knew well I didn't have bottoms to match, or vice versa.

Maybe I'm just getting older but I also don't give a **** about re-wearing stuff I love!

• Advertisement

The concept of thinking in outfits is something I need to get better at. I've often bought things because I just loved the item in isolation and then never managed to wear it - its something I'm more aware of now and I'll try not to make that mistake again but unfortunatly thinking in outfits doesnt come naturally to me!

Cheap shoes are an absolute no - the last time I wore plastic shoes was as a bridesmaid when they were chosen for me (strappy sandals from newlook) and they were just so unpleasant to wear. My feet were burning afterwards and I couldnt wait to get away from them. They went into a charity bag shortly afterwards. NewLook is another shop thats on the verbotten list - its just too easy to end up buying tat in there so I just avoid completely.

Maje is a brand I always like but havent been brave enough to actually buy from. Their store in KV hasnt had anything I wanted (granted I've only been twice) so maybe I should keep an eye online for bargains.

One of my favourite items I've gotton on sale was a reformation dress. Its just a midi with a square neck, but I can wear it with heals or trainers and its just beautifully cut and I always feel lovely in it. The investment was definitely worthwhile.

Another thing I wanted to ask -how do people feel about 2nd hand clothes, swapshops etc? Or even rental places? Any tips of sucesses?

I only did it once myself, bought a ted baker dress from an ad on adverts.ie. A girl had bought it for an awards and stuck it up quickly after (it was still in the shops for €390).

I bought it off her for €90 and paid an extra €20 myself then on drycleaning, wore it to my friends wedding, and sold it on again for €50.

I'm not a huge Ted Baker fan (this dress didnt have a floral print in sight though, it was very lovely) and its great to think it got at least 3 good days out.

I like the idea of being able to do stuff like this especially with formal wear thats never going to be worn much.

I've 3 weddings to go to this year, but one is a destination wedding in South America, one is in Ireland in Summer and the third is in Ireland also but in December so even if I wanted to wear the same outfit to all 3, it doesnt seem practical.

I'd be interested in a good rental service if anyone knows of any? Ideally nice designer stuff and a good aray of sizes.

I bought only once in the charity shop. Once I brought dress home I discovered it was all tattered and it went straight to cpothes recycling bank.

I have no issues with second hand but I don't have time or patience to browse. I'm more or less the same size last 25 years so for me the most sustainable thing is just to keep pieces I love and re wear them. I dug up over 20 years old made to measure suit. I dropped the jacket to the same tailor who made it and he just took in shoulders and it's perfect. I wear it styled a bit differently, clinched with the belt in the waist. I also found designer velvet blouse which looks great with jeans or blue PVC trousers.

A lot of this isn't much of a change for me, it's how I always dressed.

I love vintage and charity shopping, you need to be sensible though. Lots of Penney’s stuff for not much less than you’d buy them in store, but I’ve gotten some great vintage stuff. I got an amazing full length 70’s camel hair overcoat for €30 once, it’s legit and is so hard wearing and warm.

I love vintage and charity shopping, you need to be sensible though. Lots of Penney’s stuff for not much less than you’d buy them in store, but I’ve gotten some great vintage stuff. I got an amazing full length 70’s camel hair overcoat for €30 once, it’s legit and is so hard wearing and warm.

Yeah I just don't know if I have either the eye or the patience for charity shops, even though I love the idea of it.

I've been in them a lot lately (we moved house, great excuse to do a wardrobe clear out) but more in a donating capacity. I try to have a browse of my way out but I've never spotted anything of note.

I see people online finding great things but maybe you have to be in there all the time waiting for the good stuff to hit the floor. I know I've certainly given away some nice things in the past but as you mention, mostly what I've seen in shops has been lower end stuff that I wouldnt buy new from Penneys, so I'm hardly going to purchase second hand.

• Advertisement

The key about charity shops is to shop in the ones in more upscale neighborhoods as horrible as that sounds. Or places with loads of through traffic. The Age Action on Camden St often gets lots of great stuff.

There’s a few places that specialize in vintage gear too, where the owner goes on buying trips etc. places like Betty Bojangles in Dublin. That stuff won’t be cheap but it’ll be good quality. It helps that both my wife and I are super into dressing vintage and we both love nothing more than a good rummage!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's some great ideas here but I've one that's really out there.

Don't buy clothes online. I never do and I don't miss it. If you do the shopping in person, you will buy less.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »

Don't buy clothes online. I never do and I don't miss it. If you do the shopping in person, you will buy less.

That actually doesn't work for me. I impulse buy when in shop while I tend to put stuff into shopping basket online and leave it there for a day or two. 90% of time I won't proceed with the purchase or I might buy one of the items months later and the rest will be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not sure if I'm answering your questions or going off topic.

But I've found that I'm not really bothered trailling through the shops much anymore. I'm either looking for something in particular and can't find it in a bricks and mortar shop. Or I'm wandering about to see if I find anything nice and nothing really catches my eye so I come away feeling annoyed and that I've wasted my time.
    But when it comes to online, unless I'm looking for something specific, browsing online is nearly more frustrating - there's just so much stuff online, it's overwhelming!

What I find is reducing the feeling of having to buy new things is actually shopping my own wardrobe. I try to plan my outfits in advance. I'm trying to make myself wear what I have and am getting annoyed with myself having clothes taking up space in my wardrobe that I don't really want to wear, I probably should get rid of them and then why did I spend money on them if I'm not going to wear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Some of the items that I get the most compliments on are charity shop finds!
    A couple of years ago I picked up a very classic style black Karen Millen dress for €10, I've worn it to 2 or 3 weddings, styled differently each time. I've a fab full length black Riess wool coat that I picked up for €15 & I've attached a pic of the handbag I nabbed for a tenner just before Christmas!
    A good percentage of my work clothes are charity shop jobbos.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever not shop in Pennys but I am very choosey about what I buy. I go for staple items that won't date & are well made... I've found some gems over the years. I've a couple of day time dresses that I wear regularly & are still grand after 3+ years.

A lot of the items in my wardrobe are well over 10 years old & are still going good. Today I'm wearing a black top that I bought when I worked in Dunnes as a teenager over 15 years ago!

I can't buy anything online except shoes :)
    Buying shirts, jackets, trousers....... they have to be tried on so I'd not chance buying on line....... except gym gear.

You know what, I'm starting to come to this conclusion. Thats why I've basically quit ASOS. I just got sick of opening a packet and thinking immeadiately that if I'd seen the item in person, theres no way I would have bought it. This is usually because while if might look good on line, the fabric isnt half as nice in reality. I'm quite tactile with clothing and if I'm browsing in person, even if something catches my eye, the first thing I do is reach out to touch it. If it doesnt feel good, then I'll immediately go off it.

I'm actually sitting here in front of a Zara order that arrived today, 1 jumper, one cardi and 2 cami vest tops. I'll keep the vests because they're just basics and I'm low in that area, but the jumper and cardi are going back. They're not the worst and maybe previously I might have kept them but now I'm going to return them (in person - nor more wasted postage) and give myself a wrap on the knuckles for impulse shopping (I had a weak moment on Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a capsule wardrobe. Just a few things that all go together. Mostly navy basics but a couple black too. Bought from brands like sea salt, people tree, toast, omybag. I absolutely hate high street clothing so almost all is bought online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ive only changed my habits in that I dont buy as much. I would love designer clothes, bags and shoes but I personally cant justify spending a couple of hundred on a handbag. If I was in a better financial situation I might be willing to treat myself and be less likely to spend on highstreet fashion but ive just got other things that need to be paid.
    I used to shop in second hand shops quite regularly but in the last couple of years I havnt bought anything second hand. I dont know if this is just me but I find that the standard of second hand shops has gone way down. They were never high standard, which is understandable and acceptable but they would atleast wash the clothes and not sell any old yoke thats dropped in to them.
    I have some lovely clothes, bags and jewelry that I bought in second hand shops years ago that I still use but just dont come across anything like that anymore.

As for sustainable brands, theyre so expensive, like theyre charging designer prices, I know youre paying for better quality and theyre not made by cheap labor which is great but as much as id love to be more involved in sustainable fashion, I cant spend 200 on a jumper or a t shirt so I will continue to buy high street fashion until prices of sustainable wear come down.

I'm not saying this about anyone in this thread but I think there is a bit of snobbery around sustainable fashion. Also switching to more sustainable brands just so you can buy loads isn't achieving anything. It's much better to buy something in Penny's and wear it to death than buy an expensive 'sustainable' item that you wear once and then it lingers at the bottom of the closet.

I have to admit many of sustainable brands don't appeal to me. It's not that they are not nice but an awful lot is not my style. Except Arket which I love but I suspect they are not as sustainable as they claim to be.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »

I have to admit many of sustainable brands don't appeal to me. It's not that they are not nice but an awful lot is not my style. Except Arket which I love but I suspect they are not as sustainable as they claim to be.

Arket are part of the H&M family I believe.

H&M have definitely been accused of greenwashing over the past few years.

That said, possibly one of my favourite things I bought last year was a flowy white dress with a floral pattern in H&M conscious collection. Its light and comfortable, washes easily, I've worn it in Ireland maybe 10 times (whenever we have a nice day basically) and also abroad on 2 holidays. Going away in a few weeks and it will be coming with. Its something I cannot imagine parting wtih anytime soon.

While the conscious collection may have its flaws, at least I'm wearing it lots and its not wasteful.

Giving to charity shops is all well and good but I read somewhere that the amount of clothes they receive from donations way exceeds demand, so clothes end up still going to waste. I have never been good at charity shop digging but I want to start, see how it goes.

It's also made me more conscious about what I donate, making sure everything is of quality that I would want to buy. If it's not try cut up for cloths or put in a clothes bank.

"Sustainable" brands are absolutely not in reach of every person, some are extremely expensive. We should be consuming less, not looking for ways to consume the same but feel better about it. I liken it to the plastic - paper straws, just ditch using straws altogether!

I'm no shopping angel, but hey, getting there :pac: Fionnuala Moran on Instagram said something recently that stuck with me, REFUSE - Reduce - Reuse - Recycle.

There is a problem with charity clothing. Apparently it's pilling up in Africa creating waste and undercutting local enterprise. I agree that ultimate sustainable way is to buy less and wear it a lot.

I'm not going to pretend I'm particularly sustainable in my ways because I'm not but aspects of quick fashion always sat uncomfortably with me. People working in terrible conditions, being paid almost nothing, their environment being destroyed and then rich (in comparison to them) customers buying stuff just because it's cheap and often not even wearing it. While we might think it's something almost worthless a big price is paid in countries where those clothes are made. I think people who make this at least deserve us respecting their work and placing some value to stuff we buy. Even if it costs 3 Euro.

Steve Coogan's new film Greed is centred around a high-street fashion business mogul. Has the usual Coogan humour but definitely sends a message around the production of cheap clothes and the labour involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I have become a lot more conscious of my shopping in the last while and prefer to buy a couple of good pieces rather than loads of rubbish stuff. Everything I pick up now, I ask myself if I think I will still want it in 6 months, and if the answer is no, I put it back, and if I decide later on that I want it I can visit the shop again. More expensive does not necessarily mean better quality either, so I am working hard to get out of that mindset too as I would previously have associated a higher price tag with better quality in not only the end product but in how its produced, which I know not to be true.

I agree with not shopping online as well - sometimes its hard from a time perspective, or because the discounts online are better in some places than in store, but I am trying to avoid it where possible. I have personally noticed in the past that stuff gets delivered, I dont like it for whatever reason, then I dont bother returning it and it sits in a corner til my next clear out, which is far from sustainable as well as being ridiculous financially. I'm also trying to mix up my wardrobe a little, and restyle things, like certain dresses I have are too light for this weather, but with a jumper over them they are grand and look like a skirt and top, and items that I bought for occasion wear that I feel I have worn to too many occasions, I am trying to wear for more casual use. I dont have any particular issue with second hand clothes, but I dont have the time or inclination to browse racks for things that would suit me however would not rule out renting clothes rather than buying them if I needed something specific and did not think I would use it again.

When the argument about sustainability comes up, the way I look at it is that I try and get back how my parents and further back would have treated their clothes. They'd buy the best they could afford, look after it, mend it when needed, then find a way to reuse it when it was no longer suitable.

It's not about spending hundreds on a 'sustainable' t-shirt, but about instead of buying 10 x 2.50 t-shirts from penneys or wherever, I now buy 5 fruit of the loom or similar, for the same amount of money but they'll last 2+ years. When a seam rips I'll repair it and if needed put it in my gym rotation or DIY pile or whatever.

I agree a lot of these sustainable brands are gimmicky, I think, and may not necessarily be as 'sustainable' as they say. And just because a brand doesn't market as 'sustainable' doesn't mean it isn't. A solid aran jumper will last years. I good pair of shows that can be resoled, will do the same.

The one big thing I'd like to address is the whole wedding thing which dictates, apparently, that folks need to buy a new dress for every wedding, because they couldn't be seen in the same dress at 2 different weddings. Like, that blows my mind.

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I have become a lot more conscious of my shopping in the last while and prefer to buy a couple of good pieces rather than loads of rubbish stuff. Everything I pick up now, I ask myself if I think I will still want it in 6 months, and if the answer is no, I put it back, and if I decide later on that I want it I can visit the shop again. More expensive does not necessarily mean better quality either, so I am working hard to get out of that mindset too as I would previously have associated a higher price tag with better quality in not only the end product but in how its produced, which I know not to be true.

This is very true. One of my big things is to avoid plastic based fabrics where possible. When I began to feel more conscious about this, my first thought was just to ditch the low end retailers (which I've done) and that spending more money would be the fix.

Then I started checking labels everywhere. I found that even at the high end of the high street (Hobbs, LK Bennett, Reiss, Needle&Thread etc) there was still a lot of polyester, polymide, nylon, acrylic etc in the composition of the clothes which was eyeopening and disappointing. I had wrongly assumed that if you were buying an item of clothing for €300-€500 that it would be made of a higher quality of fabric.

The upside is that I must look like such a weirdo in the shops, I literally upskirt every single item of clothing if I'm considering buying it to read the label. I'd really want to LOVE something to consider polyester these days. I'm trying to avoid man made fibers but also handwash or dryclean only items, to make the best choices but to also maximise my chances of getting the wear out of an item.

I do return unwanted items, but I'm conscious of even the impact on posting stuff out. I'm trying to shop in-store where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

The one big thing I'd like to address is the whole wedding thing which dictates, apparently, that folks need to buy a new dress for every wedding, because they couldn't be seen in the same dress at 2 different weddings. Like, that blows my mind.

The wedding thing I am on the fence about - I was at 4 weddings last year, 2 of them had almost identical guests, so I felt I needed a different dress for each of those, but reused those dresses at the other 2 weddings so didnt feel so bad as previously I would have convinced myself I needed 4 different dresses which is ridiculous!

The wedding thing I am on the fence about - I was at 4 weddings last year, 2 of them had almost identical guests, so I felt I needed a different dress for each of those, but reused those dresses at the other 2 weddings so didnt feel so bad as previously I would have convinced myself I needed 4 different dresses which is ridiculous!

The mad thing is that most guys and folks like me who dress masculine (ie not in dresses!) will happily wear the same suit to any number of weddings without issue. Maybe a new tie or pocket square to jazz it up. And nobody says boo to us.

• Advertisement

Its a tricky one. Being honest, I've never repeated a wedding outfit. Not to say I havent worn the dresses again (I have in some cases) but not to another wedding.

I only went to one wedding last year and bought a dress in Zara which I then also wore to a christening (different crowd).

This year I've 3 weddings, but they're all so different, I doubt it will change. I've a mix of 1x destination (hot, hot hot!), 1x irish summer and 1x irish winter. The first one is the destination wedding and I've still not got a clue what to wear, so may need something new - trying to be formal and somewhat covered up yet not totally boiling is a bit of a challenge.

Weddings are weird, perhaps its knowing you'll likely be in a lot of photos, but for me its the hardest area to break the "wear it once" habit.

Thankfully, I won't have as many weddings going forward, a few years back they were coming thick and fast but its dwindling now. I'd say 1 or 2 a year going forward. Back when I was going to 6/7 a year, one thing I always did was keep my shoes and accessories quite neutral and therefore repeatable.

I had a pair of pale gold strappy sandals and a pale gold clutch that I must have worn to 90% of weddings I attended around that time. The colour was metallic but not a brash, I felt it was almost a neutral and I got great wear out of that combo, even if the dresses were interchangeable.

Advertisement