Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European T20 League

• 06-03-2019 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Maximilian High Mucous

Link

A new European T20 cricket league has been sanctioned by Cricket Ireland to be held from 30 August to 22 September 2019, following an agreement between the boards of Cricket Ireland, Cricket Netherlands and Cricket Scotland.

Similar in style to other well-known T20 leagues around the world, the new tournament will feature city-based franchise teams (six teams, two from each country). The tournament will involve 33 matches across all three countries, featuring a Group Stage followed by semi-finals and a final.

Tournament rules will ensure that each franchise must have a minimum of nine domestic players, and up to a maximum of seven overseas players within their squads. Furthermore, the rules mandate that of the 11 players taking the field in each match, six players must be domestic players.

The tournament, developed following consultation with ICC, will be delivered under an initial 10-year agreement with event and funding partners GS Holding Inc. and Woods Entertainment, and will be broadcast in cricket markets globally. A Governing Committee comprising representatives from GS Holding Inc./Woods and the participating cricket boards will be established to oversee the tournament.

more....
    To feature a Dublin and a Belfast team in Aug & Sept.

Should be good fun.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Interesting stuff! I'm curious how they will balance between foreign players to try attract some crowds and attention and developing domestic players, while keeping the whole thing under control financially

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Will deffo travel up for a game in malahide. Think this is a great idea well done to organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think this is needed. I don't think the first class system in Ireland is suitable for being able to progress the standard of player to international level. A series like this would be a couple of notches above what they play. Scotland and Netherlands will be as like their international teams. I would definitely venture out to malahide for a game or several.

A lot of well known names to be involved
    Brendan McCullum
    Shane Watson
    Chris Lynn
    Rashid Kahn
    Luke Ronchi
    Barbar Azam

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-chiefs-and-belfast-titans-ready-to-take-on-euro-t20-slam-1.3876352?mode=amp#.XMhzp1oKmQc.twitter

2 teams per country.
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Glasgow
    Edinburgh
    Rotterdam
    Amsterdam

Will be played in geographical blocks in Netherlands, Edinburgh and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nice bit of green

Yes very much looking forward to Malahide. Family commitments will decide what weekend I can attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think I'll need to find some cricket friends to go with me.

Grab me mate. I think my brother will come too. We’re rather clueless but we like what we see.

What is the story with tickets etc ? Also, does anyone know what way Malahide is served from Dublin city centre? Will be getting train up I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think this is a great idea, hope it takes off well. Will defo bring the kids along to Malahide.

What is the story with tickets etc ? Also, does anyone know what way Malahide is served from Dublin city centre? Will be getting train up I should think.

Frequent enough buses and darts to city centre. 2-3 per hour I guess.
    Not sure about tickets yet but there will be no shortage of supply even close to the dates.

• Advertisement

Frequent enough buses and darts to city centre. 2-3 per hour I guess.
    Not sure about tickets yet but there will be no shortage of supply even close to the dates.

Thank You, forgot about the DART. Hate buses.

https://et20s.com/2019/06/25/yuvraj-among-couple-of-indian-cricketers-likely-for-euro-t20-slam/

Looks like Yuvraj is in.

I'm seeing lots of other names like ABD, Dre Russ, Dale Steyn and Imran Tahir being mentioned there but can't see them being able to afford those types of names. Maybe Tahir, he's in his 40s and was a late bloomer in cricket. He'll probably take a reasonable contract.

https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/ARTICLES2019/articles/000009/000970-p.shtml

The Draft will take place in London on the 19th of July. Some serious sums of money involved. I'm not sure how this is being paid for or what attendances are being touted.

These are the names in the draft
    The icon players are Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Eoin Morgan, Shahid Afridi, Shane Watson and Rashid Khan while the marquee players are Dale Steyn, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Chris Lynn, Babar Azam and Luke Ronchi.

Some of the top players who have registered for the draft are Ben Cutting, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Kusal Perera, Angelo Mathews, Mohammad Amir, Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi, Colin Ingram and Tymal Mills. The list of all the registered players will be released soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Draft is taking place at the moment.

Eoin Morgan will be coming home and playing for the Dublin Chiefs.

So far the icon and marquee players are
    Dublin: Morgan, Babar Azam
    Belfast: Shahid Afridi, JP Duminy
    Edinburgh: Guptill, Chris Lynn
    Glasgow: Brendan McCullum, Dale Steyn
    Amsterdam: Imran Tahir, Shane Watson
    Rotterdam: Rashin Khan, Luke Ronchi

Round 1:
    Amsterdam: Ben Cutting
    Glasgow: Ravi Bopara
    Dublin: Mohammed Amir
    Rotterdam: Fakhar Zaman
    Belfast: Mohammed Nawaz
    Edinburgh: Corey Anderson

Round 2:
    Edinburgh: Matt Henry
    Belfast: Luke Wright
    Rotterdam: Samit Patel
    Dublin: Harry Gurney
    Glasgow: Usman Shinwari
    Amsterdam: Ahmad Shahzad

Round 3:
    Rotterdam: Shaheen Afridi
    Belfast: Colin Ingram
    Edinburgh: Tymal Mills
    Amsterdam: Hassan Ali
    Glasgow: Moises Henriques
    Dublin: Daniel Christian

Round 4:
    Dublin: Robbie Frylinck
    Glasgow: Qais Ahmed
    Amsterdam: Sikandar Raza
    Edinburgh: Tabraiz Shamsi
    Rotterdam: Hardus Viljoen
    Belfast: Mitchell McClenaghan

• Advertisement

Round 5:
    Glasgow: Heinrich Klaasen
    Dublin: No pick made
    Rotterdam: Peter Trego
    Belfast: Aaron Summers
    Edinburgh: Anton Devcich
    Amsterdam: Alzari Joseph
    Dublin: Corbin Bosch

A bit messy from Dublin in the end. Need another batsman. Decent bowling options.

A bit messy from Dublin in the end. Need another batsman. Decent bowling options.

They selected Corbin Bosch in the end. South African all-rounder.

Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Kusal Perera and Angelo Mathews all registered initially for the draft but it looks like they all must have opted out in the end.

Supplementary round 1:
    Belfast: Muhammad Ilyas
    Edinburgh: Waqar Salamkheil
    Amsterdam: Varun Chopra
    Glasgow: JJ Smuts
    Dublin: no pick made
    Rotterdam: Anwar Ali

Supplementary round 2:
    Amsterdam: Saad Bin Zafar
    Rotterdam: no pick made
    Edinburgh: Dwaine Pretorious
    Dublin: no pick made
    Glasgow: no pick made
    Belfast: no pick made

So the final international player draft:
    Dublin Chiefs: Eoin Morgan, Babar Azam, Mohammed Amir, Harry Gurney, Daniel Christian, Robbie Frylinck, Corbin Bosch

Belfast Titans: Shahid Afridi, JP Duminy, Mohammed Nawaz, Luke Wright, Colin Ingram, Mitchell McClenaghan, Aaron Summers, Muhammed Ilyas

Edinburgh Rocks: Martin Guptill, Chris Lynn, Corey Anderson, Matt Henry, Tymal Mills, Tabraiz Shamsi, Anton Devcich, Waqar Salamkheil, Dwaine Pretorious

Glasgow Giants: Brendan McCullum, Dale Steyn, Ravi Bopara, Usman Shinwari, Moises Henriques, Qais Ahmed, Heinrich Klaasen, JJ Smuts

Amsterdam Knights: Imran Tahir, Shane Watson, Ben Cutting, Ahmad Shahzad, Hasan Ali, Sikandar Raza, Alzari Joseph, Varun Chopra, Saad Bin Zafar

Rotterdam Rhinos: Rashid Khan, Luke Ronchi, Fakhar Zaman, Samit Patel, Shaheen Afridi, Hardus Viljoen, Peter Trego, Anwar Ali

Local Player draft now, where the two teams from the same country compete for their local national players.
    First up, the Netherlands:
    Amsterdam Knights: Tobias Visee, Roloef van der Merwe, Brandon Glover, Ben Cooper, Paul van Meekeren, Philippe Boissevain, Wesley Barresi, Sikander Zulfiqar and Tonny Staal

Rotterdam Rhinos: Max O'Dowd, Pieter Seelaar, Scott Edwards, Fred Klaassen, Shane Snater, Stephan Myburgh, Saqib Zulfiqar, Vivian Kingma and Bas de Leede

Next Scotland:
    Edinburgh Rocks: Kyle Coetzer, Calum MacLeod, Mark Watt, Michael Leask, Craig Wallace, Gavin Main, Adrian Neill, Dylan Budge and Oliver Hairs

Glasgow Giants: Richie Berrington, George Munsey, Alasdair Evans, Safyaan Sharif, Matthew Cross, Tom Sole, Scott Cameron, Hamza Tahir and Michael Jones

• Advertisement

Finally Ireland:
    Dublin Chiefs: Andrew Balbirnie, Kevin O'Brien, George Dockrell, Lorcan Tucker, Josh Little, Simi Singh, Tyrone Kane, Gary Delany and Harry Tector

Belfast Titans: Paul Stirling, Gary Wilson, Mark Adair, Boyd Rankin, Shane Getkate, Craig Young, Andrew McBrine, Stuart Thompson and Greg Thompson

Advertisement