Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashes 17-18

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Tomorrow will be interesting. Can England show the discipline that we’ve seen glimpses of. Or will Lyon do some damage?

Having watched the India v Aussie games, Smith is head and shoulders above the rest of the team and that’s powerful when he’s captain as he can bring the team along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Incredible stuff from Smith in the end, saves a potentially disastrous first innings. It was not looking likely for long spells.

The morning session is crucial now, if early wickets fall the collapse is on, if they hold out and set a target of even 180/190 I think that it going to be competitive.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

England off to a solid start, especially Root. Long long way to go though

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Lyon has really impressed so far, he probably deserves another 2-3 wickets on top of his haul so far this match.

Good session in the end for Australia, Root gone being the prize wicket of course.

Its still pretty even in my opinion, plenty of batting left for England they just need to keep the discipline at this point and don't give away their wickets. There was a dumb run taken and got away with a little while ago from Bairstow. No need for it, Ali is looking assured and Woakes will want to make amends for his first innings.

Geoffrey Boycott has called it, Australia going to win. No other outcome according to him :D

I think if they do they will have to work for it, England are 93 ahead at the minute and theres plenty of quick runs left. I stand by what I already said, 180/190 is going to be very competitive. I wouldn't like to be chasing it on the final day.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

England 119-5 at lunch. Moeen and Bairstow there now. Need another 100 at least you'd feel.

Lyon has been fantastic alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bit of a rally after lunch, 153/5 now. Hanging by a thread of this partnership and maybe Broad..

Ali gone to Lyon, stumped. Just about! Tight as tight could be, thought he was ok initially but with each replay it became clearer he was right on the line but nothing behind

Beautiful bowling

Woakes in all sorts of bother there from Lyon!

• Advertisement

Not exactly a dolly but really good chance

Poor call by the umpire denies Lyon what looked like an lbw on Woakes, they didn't appeal.

New ball can't come quick enough for the Aussies. Some very underwhelming bowling the last while. England almost reaching safety now I think.

Curse of me, Starc just removes Woakes with a short ball he can't get out of the way of. Smith takes the catch in the slips, Starc has been probably the poorest of the bowlers but that could be a big wicket. Broad in next, get him quick and this gets interesting

Awful shot attempt from Bairstow first ball of the over, no idea what he was at. Simple catch Hanscomb, Starc strikes again.

Ball was almost gone first ball

With the faintest of nicks Broad is gone! Starc again, some over!

Caught behind

3 wickets in 16 balls just before tea - that's how you lose a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The English tail can't survive for any length of time against the Aussie quicks, could be a deciding factor in this match.

All out! Cummins bounces out Ball

Australia will require 170 to win. Time wont be an issue and its a few runs short of what would have been pretty challenging. Discipline now and not giving away stupid wickets, particularly with Anderson nursing something and the Aussies could emerge from this with the win.

• Advertisement

Englands last 4 wickets went for 10 runs, the collapse was swift when it came.

Englands last 4 wickets went for 10 runs, the collapse was swift when it came.
    Can't say a team deserves to win by capitulating like that. I know it's the tail, I know it's against the quicks but Starc didn't look like getting 1 wicket let alone 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Disappointing end to what was a very close test match most of the time. Hopefully England pick themselves up and make a great series of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the second test (day/night) will suit England more with the swingers. If they win that and get Ben Stokes back for the 3rd, we're in for a hell of a series

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I checked livescore this morning which just said Australia made 114 in their second innings, for about 20 seconds I thought England had actually won. Somebody needs to tell them there's a big difference between 114 and 114/0.

I think the second test (day/night) will suit England more with the swingers. If they win that and get Ben Stokes back for the 3rd, we're in for a hell of a series

You certainly hope so given your opening post ;)

Incredible to think that was so close for so long, in the end it was a hammering!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

England need a least a draw from the second test or it's going to be another whitewash series I fear.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You feel its the best chance they have to do some damage with the ball consistently anyway. I think it comes down to the batters though as Vaughan and others alluded to. Getting big scores, putting the Aussies under pressure and giving themselves a real chance is key. The bowling beyond Anderson and Broad is going to be an issue, that Root was the best spinner in the Test for England is a damning fact.

I am not sure how much they can work on/improve in the course of a few days but then again, in sport its fine margins all the time. Looking forward to it anyway, Aussies will be full of confidence now and we see what kind of character is in this England team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Stokes flying to New Zealand for a "Family visit" :pac:

Advertisement