Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Promote your film" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Trailer for my new short film starring Rory Connolly, David Murray, Eric Lalor & Lacy Moore.

http://vimeo.com/37409936

Good ol' Eric Lalor :)
    He's also in this ad I worked on for Amnesty International recently:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This is a teaser I edited to go with a script that I've been writing for the past while. Going to be sending the script out to people over the coming weeks and would like to show that there's some interest in the concept, so if people have a minute to kill take a look. More info on the vimeo page.

In case people are wondering Ryan Hill is the name of the fictional documentary director and main character in the script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 yorbloke

this is not a ZOMBIE MOVIE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPjjCtPxkrA

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IPjjCtPxkrA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IPjjCtPxkrA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 yorbloke

3 short films i made over last summer which are going into schools around Ireland.
    Can anybody tell me how you post a video here and play on boards.ie... i seem to be only able to post the link in my messages... thanks people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pBeCZ_-bQ&feature=channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sazs

First film project since coming back to Ireland before Christmas - features Donegalese...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaunoc1

Hi everyone -
    Here's a new short performance film I shot with the band Echogram
    in the Cork School Of Music.

http://vimeo.com/38134420

Any comments / feedback appreciated!

Shaun

www.shaunoconnor.com

Galvasean wrote: »

ad number 2 for Amnesty International:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lucamac

A short teaser trailer for the tv length pilot we are working on. It will be a very understated comedy shot in the style of Spaced. We will hopefully have the pilot finished by the summer.

The Catholic church is going through a crisis as priests become more aged and less young people are joining up. The Church decides to take action and start marketing it as a decent job to have in this economic climate...
    The series revolves around a guy who loses his job during the recession and decides the priesthood is better than nothing.

This teaser introduces his uncle, and current parish priest Fr Fintan, who has found the priesthood to be a very convenient occupation for other sources of income...

• Advertisement

Another one of those Amnesty International ads I worked on:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

lucamac wrote: »
    A short teaser trailer for the tv length pilot we are working on. It will be a very understated comedy shot in the style of Spaced. We will hopefully have the pilot finished by the summer.

That promo should be a lot tighter. Loads of dead air in it. I'd suggest you recut it but make it snappy, snappy, snappy.

You mentioned Spaced as an influence, go back and watch some episodes - the pace doesn't let up.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That promo should be a lot tighter. Loads of dead air in it. I'd suggest you recut it but make it snappy, snappy, snappy.

You mentioned Spaced as an influence, go back and watch some episodes - the pace doesn't let up.

The series will be done to the style of spaced. This is just a teaser. This scene in the series will be much faster paced, as it's being redone for the series. The Spaced stylization was a new idea that we believed would work well with our script to give it that great fast pace that was only decided upon recently.

You are 100% correct about the pace of this teaser compared to Spaced. I'll do a tighter cut of this teaser and see how it is, but as I said, we're re filming this for the series anyway. We're starting to film the rest of the pilot soon and it's looking very promising. Hopefully we can achieve that snappiness that Spaced achieves so well.

Apart from the pace comparison how did it come across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

lucamac wrote: »
    Apart from the pace comparison how did it come across?

It looks well enough and the idea has comedy potential alright.

A few bits I felt were too 'stagey' - the guy walking from the church and patting his pocket didn't work for me. And I felt the Garda bit was again too slow.

But with a merciless editor in there I think it'll turn into a snappy promo alright.

Ok cool. Yea, I'd say so. I edited this, I have very limited experience with it. We've a professional editor doing the series...Looking forward to how the full thing will turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmk396

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't understand why Irish filmmakers insist on putting that 'This preview has been approved by the Motion Picture Association of America' title at the start of trailers.

Not only have you not submitted it for any sort of approval if you had you wouldn't have submitted it to the Motion Picture Association of America. Makes no sense.

I've always seen it as a desperate attempt to appear more professional than the film is. I imagine that if the Irish SOPA comes into effect then the MPAA could have any site hosting a trailer that uses the title card pulled. I imagine that a simple email from them would get youtube to pull it.

Apologies about that guys. It was actually an idea from the producer and considering that this is my first proper effort at a short, I didn't know any better. I might actually take that off the trailer and repost the trailer without it. Over the last few months, I have since become very conscious of product placement, copyright infringement, and not using ones own material.

With the green preview notice at the start of the trailer aside, what did you think of the rest of the trailer?

The film itself is actually being premiered in The Sugar Club on Thursday 26th April. Drop by if you are interested in seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

This is my first attempt at making a film, it's a 5 minute documentary about a court case in Wicklow over a right of way over private land. I'd love to get some feedback on it because my next doc is for my MA dissertation and will be a lot longer, so anything I could improve on would be good to know, and anything I got right that I should try to do again as well.

https://vimeo.com/41247321

I already know it's not the most balanced piece of work, but I had a maximum duration of five minutes and it made more sense to try to tell the story of the guys who lost their court case than try to get into a larger debate - if I had more time I would have. Here's the context, if you're interested - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0208/enniskerry.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmk396

This is my first attempt at making a film, it's a 5 minute documentary about a court case in Wicklow over a right of way over private land. I'd love to get some feedback on it because my next doc is for my MA dissertation and will be a lot longer, so anything I could improve on would be good to know, and anything I got right that I should try to do again as well.

https://vimeo.com/41247321

I already know it's not the most balanced piece of work, but I had a maximum duration of five minutes and it made more sense to try to tell the story of the guys who lost their court case than try to get into a larger debate - if I had more time I would have. Here's the context, if you're interested - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0208/enniskerry.html

I'm not an expert in any way when it comes to filming, especially documentaries. The way that I look at the work is that I say to myself "is there anything in this piece that I would have done differently?"

I must say that the film was very impressive and looked extremely professional. The use of footage of the walkers and the country side along with the establishing shots of the Four Courts was beautiful. I really really liked them.

There was only one thing that jumped out at me that I may have done differently and that was the shot of Siobhan Gaffney being interviewed. I thought that the camera was a bit too low and I noticed that the top of her head was out of frame. Maybe you were going for that effect? If I was shooting it, I would of had the camera at head height and left even just a small amount of space between the top of her head and the top of the frame. But like I said, I'm no expert so it's just my opinion. This is the only thing that I would of done differently. But other than that, a fantastic piece of work. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

pmk396 wrote: »
    I'm not an expert in any way when it comes to filming, especially documentaries. The way that I look at the work is that I say to myself "is there anything in this piece that I would have done differently?"

I must say that the film was very impressive and looked extremely professional. The use of footage of the walkers and the country side along with the establishing shots of the Four Courts was beautiful. I really really liked them.

There was only one thing that jumped out at me that I may have done differently and that was the shot of Siobhan Gaffney being interviewed. I thought that the camera was a bit too low and I noticed that the top of her head was out of frame. Maybe you were going for that effect? If I was shooting it, I would of had the camera at head height and left even just a small amount of space between the top of her head and the top of the frame. But like I said, I'm no expert so it's just my opinion. This is the only thing that I would of done differently. But other than that, a fantastic piece of work. Well done.

Thanks :) I'll keep an closer eye on how I frame interviews in future, I wanted to get the dome of the four courts in and I think I paid too much attention to that over the person being interviewed - pure inexperience really.

I appreciate the feedback, cheers

Film I worked on called Even Secret Agents Have A Bad Day is up on Funny Or Die now. Do check it out. It's quite bonkers. And don't forget to click 'FUNNY' (assuming you find it funny)!
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f13de63cab/even-secret-agents-have-a-bad-day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

My short film No Messages has just been accepted into the New York City International Film Festival - http://nyciff.com/

Here's the trailer: http://vimeo.com/37409936

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Congrats, hope they send a plane ticket.

Congrats, hope they send a plane ticket.

Thanks! Unfortunately no plane ticket with it. Are you heading down to Galway this year? We'll hopefully be in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Have they scheduled anything yet? Might be able handle a day trip.

Edit; just read your post again, properly, When do they let you know?

I've got one film confirmed for Galway this year. Hopefully another couple (including No Messages) will be there too so can make a vacation out of it! :D

Have they scheduled anything yet? Might be able handle a day trip.

Edit; just read your post again, properly, When do they let you know?

They're sending out letters next week apparently. So that probably means I won't know until the week after cause I'm off on holidays next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fujiguy

Hello all, i am not in the same league as most of the video shorts i have seen here are superb, but i am currently in a strange situation!

I bought a Fuji S4000 last year with the intent on taking photos and the "odd" video, but when i decided to make a short movie, things just went fast.
    I read an article in a free paper about a story in Mount Jerome Cemetary, and just all of a sudden, i spent all my spare time writing that same story for video, with me narrating. Anyway, after getting permission from the author, and from mount Jerome to film there, i made this. Since it has been made, i have been going mad to film more, and i filmed 2 shorts since, but this short was featured on the Smalls.com and i got a great response.

It is made with a S4000 bridge camera, and a cam link 2500tp nothing more, and edited in Sony Vegas and After Effects.

Is it any good or were people being polite? brutal honesty accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fujiguy

shaunoc1 wrote: »
    Hi all -
    Here's a new short film I made last month...
    Any criticism / comments / feedback would be appreciated!

WOW..just wow, that really made me laugh, have to ask what camera that was filmed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Superdoog wrote: »
    Heres a short video i made about the abandoned building of R&H Hall in waterford, ireland it be great if people could check it out and leave some feedback :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcsUtWrrvKk

I like this. Good job. However, I think you should maybe invest in a shoulder mount :)

Great choice of music, what is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Domicjan Art

Hi there,
    I just wanted to post a trailer for a feature film I've been working on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJ_fnKN3WQ

Advertisement