Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assessment of Need - FYI for Parents

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The HSE have been moving further and further away from a diagnostic model. This has huge implications for children with extra needs. Without a diagnosis, they may not be able to access ASD units or special schools . This chimes in with the DES pushing the failed “ New Brunswick” model of total inclusion- on the cheap . It’s all about saving money , don’t be fooled by thinking it’s because this model is better .

https://www.facebook.com/1608686222731082/posts/2573698606229834/?vh=e&d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am surprised this didnt kick off before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The HSE have been moving further and further away from a diagnostic model. This has huge implications for children with extra needs. Without a diagnosis, they may not be able to access ASD units or special schools . This chimes in with the DES pushing the failed “ New Brunswick” model of total inclusion- on the cheap . It’s all about saving money , don’t be fooled by thinking it’s because this model is better .

https://www.facebook.com/1608686222731082/posts/2573698606229834/?vh=e&d=n

For sure I don't see this as a better way of doing it, essentially what is happening under the old model is the service statements are using to drive a legal requirement for support from the HSE and id say the new AON will get them off the hook.

And yeah @Fits this was brought up but I don't think allot of people fully have an idea of the impact right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think a lot of people are resigned to the idea that all kids with any additional needs will eventually be dumped into mainstream schools and classes with little or no support ,this idea of help with no diagnosis is wrong and will end with parents who make the most noise get help Vs those who's kids actually need help now and in the future,

New Brunswick belongs where it started in 1960s America

Gatling wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are resigned to the idea that all kids with any additional needs will eventually be dumped into mainstream schools and classes with little or no support ,this idea of help with no diagnosis is wrong and will end with parents who make the most noise get help Vs those who's kids actually need help now and in the future,

New Brunswick belongs where it started in 1960s America

That changes nothing from the status quo today, it already is the parents making the most noise getting the help.

We need to push on what ever new government coming to power to ensure that they resource correctly.

I know that is a long time away but we shouldn't stop the fight now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Calhoun wrote: »
    That changes nothing from the status quo today, it already is the parents making the most noise getting the help.

We need to push on what ever new government coming to power to ensure that they resource correctly.

I know that is a long time away but we shouldn't stop the fight now.

Not that far away, talks the SNA model is going ahead in Sept. I can’t imagine what it must be like for parents with a child who has extra needs , everything that should be provided as a matter of course has to be fought for, every single day .

Not that far away, talks the SNA model is going ahead in Sept. I can’t imagine what it must be like for parents with a child who has extra needs , everything that should be provided as a matter of course has to be fought for, every single day .

Its probably going to be harder but at the same time its no different than what we have to do today.

First year my daughter was in school the SENO didn't grant an SNA initially even though she is non-verbal and a flight risk. Took some pushing to get it.

As a parent you are left fighting all sides, I have had our special education teacher pull the wont you think of the other 28/29 children in the class when talking about my daughter.

The only way we have to fight is by forcing them into a corner, if they want my child out they have to get all the reports and stuff required to do it, as its the only way i can then argue for more support.

Advertisement