Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-06-2019, 23:50   #1831
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Don't be silly, it's as factual as 11 players are on a football team. Compare Liverpool to Shamrock rovers under those categirys.. Liverpool have a far better history, Anfield on a huge day beats Rovers on a huge day etc
How is the history better? That is a completely subjective thing. And if anything the history of Rovers is far more enthralling than Liverpools. Rovers also have far less blackspots on their history.
As for Anfield on a huge day (first of all if you're going to talk ****e at least use the stadium name, talking about anfield and to then say rovers just screams ignorance) you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.
D14Rugby is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2019, 00:23   #1832
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.
I've actually been to at least 3 Dublin derbys. Been in a stadium with 5,000 passionate fans cheering on your team with you is brill but been in a stadium with 50,000 passionate fans all cheering on your team with you is better. I accept most of the time 50,000 fans are quiet but when 50,000 fans are making noise it's unreal
Greyfox is offline  
Thanks from:
28-06-2019, 06:19   #1833
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,537
Anfield on a big European night is pretty unfair comparison for anything. The recent Barcelona 4-0 game was one of the best atmospheres you'd get anywhere in the world given the drama and size of the night.

Yes you'll have games locally that will mean just as much to fans who will sing just as loud... But it's not a fair comparison, you're not going to come anywhere close to matching it in the LOI because of the context
8-10 is offline  
28-06-2019, 06:37   #1834
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Don't be silly, it's as factual as 11 players are on a football team. Compare Liverpool to Shamrock rovers under those categirys.. Liverpool have a far better history, Anfield on a huge day beats Rovers on a huge day etc
How is the history better? That is a completely subjective thing. And if anything the history of Rovers is far more enthralling than Liverpools. Rovers also have far less blackspots on their history.
As for Anfield on a huge day (first of all if you're going to talk ****e at least use the stadium name, talking about anfield and to then say rovers just screams ignorance) you've clearly never been to a Dublin derby, never experienced scoring a leveller in the 88th minute and the winner in the 89th in a derby between first and second in the table. A world cup final wouldn't compare to the atmosphere at that, or even the derby in Tallaght earlier this season you couldn't hear yourself think from about 15 minutes before kickoff.
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.
dundalkfc10 is offline  
28-06-2019, 07:19   #1835
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same.
Liverpool are one of the best soccer teams on the planet right now.

So yeah, they're the same alright.
8-10 is offline  
Advertisement
28-06-2019, 07:20   #1836
Road-Hog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.
Would you be referring to heysel stadium incident when you say that Liverpool are ‘englands shame’ to other clubs......?

Do shamrock rovers have a similar shameful incident in their history....?
Road-Hog is offline  
Thanks from:
28-06-2019, 07:49   #1837
Hamsterchops
Registered User
 
Hamsterchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Liverpool are one of the best soccer teams on the planet right now.
I agree, Liverpool are one of the best football clubs on the planet right now.....
along with ManU, Chelsea, ManCity, Spurs, West Ham, not forgetting Accrington Stanley
Hamsterchops is offline  
28-06-2019, 11:53   #1838
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I've actually been to at least 3 Dublin derbys. Been in a stadium with 5,000 passionate fans cheering on your team with you is brill but been in a stadium with 50,000 passionate fans all cheering on your team with you is better. I accept most of the time 50,000 fans are quiet but when 50,000 fans are making noise it's unreal
Ah the old, "I was at a game before, I was in de shed and the language was awful, the guys in the green and white were playing the guys in black and red but I can't remember when it was or what the score was"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.
Rovers have never gotten a whole country banned from European football though have we?
D14Rugby is offline  
Thanks from:
28-06-2019, 11:54   #1839
dundalkfc10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Hog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Both Liverpool and Rovers would be the same. The scumbag element to their support and the fact both would be known as Irelands/Englands shame to other clubs fans would be the reasons.
Would you be referring to heysel stadium incident when you say that Liverpool are ‘englands shame’ to other clubs......?

Do shamrock rovers have a similar shameful incident in their history....?
Maybe I should have said both are the most hated clubs by other clubs in their country.
dundalkfc10 is offline  
Advertisement
28-06-2019, 13:04   #1840
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Ah the old, "I was at a game before, I was in de shed and the language was awful, the guys in the green and white were playing the guys in black and red but I can't remember when it was or what the score was"
Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match
Greyfox is offline  
28-06-2019, 13:27   #1841
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Maybe I should have said both are the most hated clubs by other clubs in their country.
I don't get your point, are you saying that's why there's more foreign fans like from Ireland?
8-10 is offline  
28-06-2019, 13:29   #1842
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
I agree, Liverpool are one of the best football clubs on the planet right now.....
along with ManU, Chelsea, ManCity, Spurs, West Ham, not forgetting Accrington Stanley
Well, no. I mean literally top 5 teams that you could watch. Man City I agree would also be up there but you haven't a clue lumping those others in
8-10 is offline  
28-06-2019, 15:00   #1843
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Maybe they should of watched a match on tv first and then when they were familiar with the players then went to a live match
In what universe does that logic make sense?
D14Rugby is offline  
Thanks from:
28-06-2019, 15:21   #1844
FatherTed
Registered User
 
FatherTed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,438
I am not begrudging anyone who supports an English team, I've been a big fan of Man Utd for 40 years myself but I think the EPL is more entertainment than sport so it's a good thing to watch on a cold, deary winter's day. It is certainly marketed as entertainment. It becomes more of an emotional investment when you become attached/follow a particular team. Also, these superstars are constantly on TV, being talked and tweeted/etc about rather than the everyday local League Of Ireland player.

I really think if you are a true lover of the sport, you would support your local team. I know people will complain about the quality and the facilities but these problems will never get better until there is sustained quality support i.e. butts in seats. To get better quality players and better facilities you need $$$. Investors will not invest because they need a ROI and when they see only a handful of fans they won't invest. Media won't cover it again due to the lack of support. It's like a circle: no fans->no publicity->no investment. As I said at the top, I don't begrudge someone being a fan of an EPL team but I do when they said they won't follow LOI because of the quality. Just look in the mirror. That's the reason.

Last edited by FatherTed; 28-06-2019 at 15:29.
FatherTed is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2019, 16:05   #1845
Bonniedog
Registered User
 
Bonniedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
The English don't have a culture.


Eh, Dickens, a lot of great films and books,the Beatles, and lots of other stuff, including Association Football before it became a soap opera at top level owned and played by deracinated vastly wealthy and in many cases pretty nasty characters.


But in general their culture like ours is being swamped by lowest common denominator cr@p.
Bonniedog is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet