Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The theory up until now was get animals onto ad-lib for the end of the finishing period. It was more efficient than feeding silage,even good quality silage. You only fed bullocks or heifers limited ration if they needed longer than 90 days finishing.

It too Teagasc up until 2-3 years ago to admit it was more profitable to carry Friesians back to grass for a third season. Even then there thinking was slaughter them During May/June.

Yes some He and AA can be slaughtered off grass at the end of the second season. Some will be good enough to finish out of the shed in in 60-70 days.

However over the last 5-6 years the price mid July has been as good or better than the Jan-March price. Processor's pay contracted finishers up to 40c/kg more than the small lad.

If you finish Friesian out of a shed they will eat most of the ton and still be a tad under finished. AA and HE unless having excellent genetic potential will eat 6-800 kgs and the AA may not weight because too many have poor genetic potential.

Contenintal /Dairy crosses will eat the ton easy. Some will weight some will not.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I 💯 % agree but how are these vegan types surviving? they must have to eat alot of stuff to survive. not very corbon efficient 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

A lot of noise from vegans. There is a poster on boards that purports to be vegan but has a penchant for Turkey legs!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It's yet another place where the vegan argument falls down. Very few people in the world have the type of office jobs where (1) you can survive on low calorie levels, and (2) you have plenty opportunities to stop and nibble on food.

You'd wonder do they really think this type of low-activity, hunter/gather lifestyle is available to everyone? Including the people who grow, process, transport, package, and stock the shelves with their ultra-processed, plastic-covered vegan food?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

it's the whole lie that really kills their argument. I'm glad we know it's bs. not everyone does unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When they equated to having a steak to be the equivalent of a long distance flight they lost the argument

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

They haven't lost any war unfortunately. They have serious money behind them now. They are playing dirty, similar to Trump and Brexit. The truth does not matter. Throw enough bullsh*t at a dumbed down public and a certain amount will stick. The more that sticks, the more will stick. I'm shocked at how distant from reality the climate debate is going, and the media are just fanning the flames in the direction of farmers.

I'm shocked at how biased rte are. and the lack of response from the ag industry as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Last week on the news at 1. The head of Teagasc was telling Dobson that the emissions from cows had been calculated incorrectly heretofore and that this would be proven shortly. Dobson got very ratty and didn't want to hear of using the correct calculation of emissions.

Independent media my a**e.

It's time we stopped paying licence fees to that shower of bribe takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

“ We need to give a clear signal that there will be a good income ….so that for the next three decades if you go in this direction you’d be able to raise a family and have a really purposeful social life “ Ryan on the radio earlier .

You are right . The truth doesn’t matter .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

There ye go now lads. Don't mind buying the "square" calf and look up at the figures.....

https://www.facebook.com/426875164071704/posts/pfbid02gXR8v2M6S4qKja1fKDYZouBcrG6VB4cRUA9XXFqpUMLDmMYfVajQA19iEaeBXfVXl/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Where does this narrative come from that an animal needs a ton of ration to kill? If you’re feeding a ton of ration to each animal it’s down to one of the following problems, either you bought a poor quality animal (we can all get caught with a few in a bunch but there shouldn’t be enough to bring the average up to a ton), you’re grazing set up is wrong or you didn’t give them ration on their first winter as weanlings, with this usually being the number 1 problem. The 200kgs a head they get as weanling is worth far more to them than 400kgs when you’re fattening them.

The docket below is a load of cattle I killed from the shed last January. The 6 U grades were limousines bought as weanlings, the rest were bucket reared dairy stock. All HEX apart from one Angus (she got the 20 cent breed bonus).

They were all on grass only until they came into the shed on about the 20th of November. A few days after coming into the shed they were given 5kgs of beet and 2 kgs of ration, with the continentals increased to 5kgs of ration for the last 3 weeks.

The dairy stock ate about 300kgs of beet and 110kgs of a 4 way hi maize ration mix. The continentals 300kgs of beet and about 180kgs of the same ration. They would have all got between 180 and 200kgs of ration as weanlings the previous winter so adding that to the finishing period the dairy stock ate approx 300kgs and the continentals 380kgs. Nothing came remotely close to eating a ton.

I’d a load gone before Xmas that ate less than that. I’d more went end of January and more early Feb that would have ate 60-80kgs more. Anything that won’t be fit to kill by Feb or early March isn’t pushed in the shed and is let back to grass for summer finishing.

I’m lucky to have some dry ground that heavy stores can be let out on early, usually by first few days of April, and be fit to kill off grass in May/June.

Just goes to show the difference in performance in quality stock. Well under 30 months and well over 400 kg.

The beet must be great feeding for pure energy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think you're referring to Maxwell's the cattle exporters? There on the left hand side before you come into Ballinagare from the Tulsk side. They've a serious yard there and would be handling lots of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

From time to time I drive pass Maxwell's yard and always look forward to looking in at their stock. It doesn't matter if they are out in the clay/mucky paddock along the road or with their heads out along the feed rails, one with another they are lovely evenly batches of cattle to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

• Registered Users Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

‘Empty bellies’: Unweaned calves left without milk for long periods on journey to Europe

Not good to be seeing this on a news site.

It's not good that in calves went without feed for such long periods - most of us wouldn't do it to calves that we bought in to rear. We (Ireland) can't very well hold our heads up high and spout about how super we are with our green image and grass based diet whilst now knowingly allow such practices to continue. I always thought that export calves made the journey within the time allowed for feeding.

I don't see any way to get around the continued export of unweaned calves and the EU Commission looks like it will probably implement the recommendations/changes (to the Animal Welfare during Transport legislation) that the Parliament recently voted on.

http://icos.ie/2022/01/31/european-parliament-vote-marks-milestone-for-the-future-of-animal-transport/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Within 3 years export of young unweaned calves is done ….we will have to hold calves for 28 days minimum and then they can only be transported 50 k from base …..the 20 hour transport time currently allowed will be cut to 8 so that means export ships to Cherbourg is done

• Advertisement

I presume that there will be some sort of TAMS grant to help dairy farmers to build additional calf rearing facilities. The majority of dairy farmers that I know had shed space for their heifer calves but limited space for the bull calves the majority of which are sold at 15 to 20 days old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

From what I remember 35 days on farm was proposed ….28 was what was settled on ….can’t move before that …..all this has to be signed off bull the wheeling and dealing is done

Read Base's link again.

An exemption to the 28 days if transport is under 50km.

They haven't gone full on vegan, not yet anyway. The realisation is there still that it's business and food and if the stats are still showing favourable on mortality then the only argument is from the vegan element to start there and work on up the system. We know eventually if that sort are given their head it's the end of all livestock farming. Not saying there's ministers and meps that way inclined already.

Still all to be decided yet. Hence articles and plants whipping calves in France and mentioned in articles. It's a game for all except the farmer and government where it's business. Well to be aware but and eyes should be opened by everyone involved and anyone that makes it their business to be involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Can't recall where I saw it but do UK milk processors insist farmers keep calves for something like 12 months?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ginger22

But what about the single market, are we all supposed to be equal, equal access to markets, hard to see how this could comply with EU constitution, discrimination. Before you all jump on me I am all in favour of treating animals well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

The suckler will need to go to make way for the loss of exports. Can't see how else it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

Any thoughts on this product? I can see the young generation going for it.

https://perfectday.com/animal-free-milk-protein/

Why protein from flora?

Our animal-free milk from flora is the first of its kind, using whey protein made by microflora, not cows, to make dairy that’s identical to traditional milk. Yes, we said identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

There is approx 800-900k of dairy calvings in Munster annually. The 50k limit under 28 days is going to cause a serious impact on calf movement. This basically means that a large % of dairy farmers will be holding every calf to a min of 28 days.

Suckler farmers finishing stock are going to be slow to move toward ls dairy beef. Approx 60% of beef farmers rearing calves have pulled the pin on it over the past 5 years. Suckler farmers are use of having carcase weight. This is what pays.

Having a market for your stock is going to be the key for dairy farmers. Lowering LW of cows in the EBI rat race has had a serious impact on calf potential. Couple this with some beef bull breeding namely low carcass weight and short gestation AA and you are nearly dealing with JEX beef cattle.

Next spring is going to be more interesting for a number of factors. Milk powder is going to be at least 30-40% dearer on the back of strong milk prices and gas to run driers. The energy price is going to have an effect on the movement cost of the calf, sundries and finally the cost of ration. For many beef farmers this could mean reducing numbers or worse pulling the pull on rearing sucks.

Beef is a simple game, put the weight on as quick and a cheap as you can. Unless the raw material improves, Suckler farmers are going to stay away. Changing these factors through breeding is at least a 5 year project.

• Advertisement

Didn't Flora sponsor the Women's mini marathon?

Afterwards "we" found out margarine was a killer.

To finish it off. Google...is flora margarine bad for you. The first result comes up is misinformation from flora extolling it's "virtues".

Advertisement