Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated Gaming Topics Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yup, it's the Jim "****ing" Sterling shtick that puts me off watching more of his content but behind all that, he seems like a decent dude who I'd be happy to go for a pint with.

...even if it's only to tell him how wrong he was about Vanquish. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

His OTT stuff can be grating. With that said, I do like his Duke character that takes the piss out of hardcore git gud gamers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

EoinHef wrote: »
    Does he do positive videos anymore?

He was raving about how good Disco Elyseum was the other day.

If only boards had posters of the same quality as Jim. He's a treasure and the most important pundit in games. Sometimes I can't watch his videos because yeah there's a lot of negative stuff to talk about, Konami, Ubi, EA, and Activision Blizzard still exist. And his favourite, Bethesda. But overall he does important work for the medium, rather than what Gamergaters consider important for the medium, harassing women in games on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

PostWoke wrote: »
    He was raving about how good Disco Elyseum was the other day.

If only boards had posters of the same quality as Jim. He's a treasure and the most important pundit in games. Sometimes I can't watch his videos because yeah there's a lot of negative stuff to talk about, Konami, Ubi, EA, and Activision Blizzard still exist. And his favourite, Bethesda. But overall he does important work for the medium, rather than what Gamergaters consider important for the medium, harassing women in games on twitter.

Well i dont watch him and i dont find my life is any lesser for it. I tend to to stay away from the click baity negative stuff on the internet in general though. Lots of people dont seem to.

Its just whenever his videos are posted the titles always seem to indicate an amount of negativity but its the negativity people dont seem to mind,so seems some negativity is ok with people.

Ive no interest in gamergate,or any other internet drama for that matter,i find people get way to worked up about it on either side.

Personally ive enough things to be getting on with in my own life i just dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

*snip*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Did someone make fun of anime boob games again?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jim's beautiful wife.

What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Penn wrote: »

Exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think we all know that Robert is just showing his true colours now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Post deleted for obvious reasons. We will not tolerate any of that nonsense even in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think we all know that Robert is just showing his true colours now.
    Yup. Pathetic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Remember guys, it's about ethics in journalism... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I listen to Jim's podcasts and they give me a good laugh, I admire the man's sense of humour outside of games criticism, especially the stuff he does with former Destructoid colleagues Conrad Zimmerman and Jonathon Off Road Rules. So I guess I get more positive than the negative he puts out via videos, but as mentioned already, he's on record as saying that he makes practically zero money from "positive" vids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As has been mentioned already, anyone who champions "Free Speech" in games media, but then cheers at the corporate shenanigans going on at G/O Media, is a flaming hypocrite.

It's as simple as that, and some could do with remembering the old maxim from (googles) Evelyn Hall that ... "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". You can hate Kotaku, but should absolutely defend their right to print what they do (including pretty important investigative works amidst the pearl clutching). Easy to be a champion of free speech for your beliefs, harder to do so with those you don't.

But that's the Bunker Mentality you see in some gamers, this allergy or wilful blindness to the reality that their favourite hobby is a multi-multi billion dollar industry, with all the shilling, chicanery and corporate malfeasance that comes with the territory. Easy to pretend it's still a bedroom-nerd cottage industry. Heck we're posting in this thread because of that hysterical aversion; I do wonder if (say) the Soccer forum experiences that problem from fans who go nuts at the notion of discussing FIFA's obvious corruption?

Sterling got interviews of pro/netural gamergate developers removed from The Escapist with his buddies Zoe "bloodstained" Quinn and Alex Lifschitz because they didn't like the people in question or allowing any pushback to their BS narrative, using IRC logs as evidence that had been debunked. Censorship and deplatforming is their bread and butter, though.
    Penn wrote: »
    That she's beautiful and her take on judging/sorting people's opinions based on their race is something worthwhile to signal. How rude of you all to be so horrified by her image that you took it down.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"[/I]. You can hate Kotaku, but should absolutely defend their right to print what they do
    Absolutely. May they print their gamer hating shyte until they go bankrupt.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." — Napoleon Bonaparte

That she's beautiful and her take on judging/sorting people's opinions based on their race is something worthwhile to signal. How rude of you all to be so horrified by her image that you took it down.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." — Napoleon Bonaparte

giphy.gif

I wouldn't say Jim is clickbaity because he considers all the facts and usually takes his time before posting a video on the latest controversy until he's got all those facts. The same can't be said for the others.

I'd agree when it comes to The Jimquisition, but he often puts out a 5-10min video each day, usually responding to something that happened that day that was somewhat controversial. Those videos tend to be a lot more of a quick rambling rant than a researched rant like the Jimquisition videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tell ye what,i might make my own media/youtube channel and just pick random topics to complain about if it sells so well:P

I find the videos/critcism i dont mind watching/reading are from people i know are informed about the product there critcising. For exapmle Paul Tasei writes for forbes and talks about Destiny 2 as basically his job,not every piece is critical but he can be harsh when its needed,id actually trust his views on other games now. To me thats informed criticism. Theres other sources i respect when it comes to other games.

Im not saying you have to have a ton of hours in something to have an opinion on it,i just feel that an opinion has to be weighted against these things,like bias,actual investment you have made in the product time wise,is there an agenda ie are you actually trying to be critical or is it just "this sux,the devs suck" all the while spouting stuff anyone could copy and paste from multiple sources on the internet just so you can get clicks.

I guess with Jim Sterling for me he seems to mostly be a talking head. He addresses nearly every contrversy under the sun so i guess i do wonder what sort of weight i should give his opinion. Tbf though,i dont watch his videos bar the an odd one of the ones posted here. Mostly because id prefer to read someones opinion here than have to sit through a 20 minute video to get the point a poster is trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

^^^Integrity in games journalism is a Joke in its self. Was what gamer-gate started out as before all the other stuff got attached.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Correction: Gamergate started out as a means to harass a woman using the veil of integrity in games journalism. It was and never has been about integrity in games journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Correction: Gamergate started out as a means to harass a woman using the veil of integrity in games journalism. It was and never has been about integrity in games journalism.

Ah come on, do not fall for that propaganda. Also do not read ideologically fueled content form the likes of kotaku and polygon. I was lucky enough to miss it and only researched it after the fact but after seeing what that women has done since possibly causing someone to commit suicide I would believe the rumors of what she did are true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's some facts.

Apparently zoe quinn slept with a kotaku writer to get a favourable review.... for her game that kotaku never reviewed.

And even if she did sleep with someone well that's how non incel adults interact with people sometimes and there's nothing wrong with that. She was single at the.time. not her fault a creepy ex couldn't deal with it

That's if that even happened considering the accusations are flaky at best.

Rarely ever read kotaku or polygon. I just looked at the fall out from afar while facepalming and lamenting the state of videogame 'culture'. Or should I say man child culture.

As for the guy that committed suicide. It was a tragedy but by all.accounts he was a nasty piece of work and even his close friends and family don't deny what he is accused of which speaks volumes. She should be congratulated for speaking up about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

As for the guy that committed suicide. It was a tragedy but by all.accounts he was a nasty piece of work and even his close friends and family don't deny what he is accused of which speaks volumes. She should be congratulated for speaking up about it

Except her story is a load of made up bull****, there are screen grabs of twitter posts she made during the time she was supposedly being “kept against her will” by him in which she was freely moving about even posting compliments of working with him. She’s a disgusting piece of work and a grade a spoofer.

Except her story is a load of made up bull****, there are screen grabs of twitter posts she made during the time she was supposedly being “kept against her will” by him in which she was freely moving about even posting compliments of working with him. She’s a disgusting piece of work and a grade a spoofer.

Except his Sister, of all people, and co-workers at the time pretty much corroborate her accounts.

But don't believe them, believe the neckbeards pulling quotes out of context from twitter to satiate their confirmation bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Except his Sister, of all people, and co-workers at the time pretty much corroborate her accounts.

But don't believe them, believe the neckbeards pulling quotes out of context from twitter to satiate their confirmation bias.

There’s nothing out of context if what is posted during the exact timeframe you are referring to directly contradicts your story and version of events. Zoe Quinn just needs to disappear, a desperate attention seeker whos lies drove a man to suicide.

He by all means sounds like he was a troubled and difficult person to work with but his coworkers and his own sister don’t exactly come away shining for throwing him under the bus either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gamergate in 3 sentences:

"SHE IS A BAD PERSON!"

"She has evidence and testimony from people who, by all rights, have a slew of reasons to be biased AGAINST her"

"SHE'S STILL THE PROBLEM!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oof. I'd forgotten that that hysterical jihad, masquerading as righteousness, was over one single person. I mean she seems a bit unlikeable, but Jesus Christ the histrionics over one slightly sketchy woman were a sight to behold. Imagine if that indignation had have been put to good, practical use. But soft targets are too easy for paper tigers.

Advertisement