Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Are they actually definitely bringing this in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ardinn wrote: »

It's a health bill more than anything
    It's a tax on the poor more than anything. Like the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Are they actually definitely bringing this in ?

In a word yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Below cost selling of alcohol is a different matter there fella, that came in with the groceries order - this is minimum unit pricing, as a binge drinking countermeasure. under a different heading.

your quoting 6yr old stuff that never happened - get your sh1t together before spouting rubbish!

This below cost selling is another red herring.

I have never seen one ounce of evidence that any of the supermarkets or Off licenses are indulging in it. Perhaps someone has a source that proves it?

Someone mentioned earlier that Lidl sell 6 packs here for +€7 , yet sell the same 6 pack for 3.50 in Portugal.

Surely we're not being asked to believe that Lidl pay more than €7 here for the same product they sell for less than €4 in another place?

Also, if anyone believes an offlicense is partaking in below cost selling on its products they are also allowing themselves to be fooled.

Bottles of bud in the offlicense going for 1.50 each. 4.50 in the pub.

Bottles of wine, 10 in O'Briens, €25 in the local pub.

Publicans need to up their game and adapt their business model. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I haven't the energy right now, but someone might be able to produce a table of how much we are babied by the Mammy and Daddy State now, and more importantly how many Quangoes are there to monitor us every flipping day.

Sugar..... tick
    Off license opening hours...... tick
    MUP..... tick

I am sure there are many more. Over to you. I'm going to open a nice bottle of Merlot to breathe before the match later. Hee Haw. No crowded noisy pubs with green jerseys on and roaring and shouting. Nope. Each to their own though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    In a word yes.

But only when NI does in tandem. Given that there is no Assembly up there and hasn't been for months, and the impending Border issue with Brexit, I think we have been saved! For now anyway.

Rick Shaw wrote: »

I have never seen one ounce of evidence that any of the supermarkets or Off licenses are indulging in it. Perhaps someone has a source that proves it?

Someone mentioned earlier that Lidl sell 6 packs here for +€7 , yet sell the same 6 pack for 3.50 in Portugal.

Surely we're not being asked to believe that Lidl pay more than €7 here for the same product they sell for less than €4 in another place?

Also, if anyone believes an offlicense is partaking in below cost selling on its products they are also allowing themselves to be fooled.

Just on the below cost selling point.

I often see an off licence advertising at or below the supermarket prices.
    He only sells drink so how come he is still in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    You claim no one binges drinks in pubs. I reckon that's crap. Let's move on.

No, I dont, I said most - again, and after apologising for jumping to conclusions - You jump to conclusions!

If an off licence buys a six pack of Dutch gold for (I don't have a clue what margins are on drink, so this is hypotheticall) €3.50, and it retails at €6

If MUP successfully gets over the line, and Dutch gold must now be sold at 1.80 a can.

Off license still buys at 3.50, and now is legally obliged to sell at 10.80€.

See the bold bit - thats why you sound like an idiot and your opinion is null and void.

If you believe thats how this works then any arguments you put forward from here on in, including the earth is round, the sun is hot and water is wet, are to be discounted!

Please educate yourself on the basics of an argument before engaging in it.

Your post is ridiculous

Surely you must consider the costs involved in running a pub. You simply cant ignore them - it's totally unfair to compare the price of anything in an off licence to the price of the same anything in a pub.

Im not going to go into it unless you really really dont understand, but I will presume your not stupid and you know the difference in the two.

No, I dont, I said most - again, and after apologising for jumping to conclusions - You jump to conclusions!
    Conclusions he says.....

Stop telling lies. You accused someone of talking utter bollox, and were quite specific.
    Thats the biggest load of bollix ive ever heard! Nobody binge drinks in a pub - They buy cheap alcohol drink that at home then head out, head to a nightclub where they are locked after buying nothing in the place!!!

Binge drinking is consuming more than 3 drinks in one sitting apparently. If we are to use these statistics, I would wager that their are a good deal more "binge drinkers" on a binge in a bar than at home each and every evening of the week.

I like how you completely and utterly selected one part of my post, and ignores the other where I question the health concerns facade. Says it all really.

See the bold bit - thats why you sound like an idiot and your opinion is null and void.
    Again. I think you selectively read what you want to read. Perhaps you missed this part of my post.
    If an off licence buys a six pack of Dutch gold for (I don't have a clue what margins are on drink, so this is hypotheticall) €3.50, and it retails at €6
    So you cling to the hypothetical figures, that I openly states where hypothetical, and accuse me of being an idiot if it makes you feel a bit better champ.
    If you believe thats how this works then any arguments you put forward from here on in, including the earth is round, the sun is hot and water is wet, are to be discounted!

Please educate yourself on the basics of an argument before engaging in it.

Your post is ridiculous

If I believe that's how what works?

Do I believe that a business buys a product at x amount, and resells at y amount to achieve a profit?

Guilty as charged.

Perhaps you'll enlighten us so.

• Advertisement

Binge drinking is consuming more than 3 drinks in one sitting apparently. If we are to use these statistics, I would wager that their are a good deal more "binge drinkers" on a binge in a bar than at home each and every evening of the week.

I like how you completely and utterly selected one part of my post, and ignores the other where I question the health concerns facade. Says it all really.

Again. I think you selectively read what you want to read. Perhaps you missed this part of my post.

So you cling to the hypothetical figures, that I openly states where hypothetical, and accuse me of being an idiot if it makes you feel a bit better champ.

If I believe that's how what works?

Do I believe that a business buys a product at x amount, and resells at y amount to achieve a profit?

Guilty as charged.

Perhaps you'll enlighten us so.

Im not going to enlighten you - do your research before spouting nonesense. You claim the off licences will pocket the difference when minimum pricing comes in - that is not the case whatsoever.

Im sorry but im sticking you on ignore, i want to stay involved in the conversation but this type of nonesense is exhausting. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Rick Shaw,

I don't know if below cost selling is common, but here is one example - spirits at 13/14 per bottle.

That retail price is below the excise duty + VAT.

Beer and wine, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Surely you must consider the costs involved in running a pub. You simply cant ignore them - it's totally unfair to compare the price of anything in an off licence to the price of the same anything in a pub.

Im not going to go into it unless you really really dont understand, but I will presume your not stupid and you know the difference in the two.

The consumer does not need to consider it, that is the business owners problem. Do you adjust the price of your product based on my disposable income?

If your costs are too high to enable you to compete then do something about the costs.

You still haven't given any explanation of why a btl of Carlsberg costing €1.50 in the offy can be charged at €4.50 in the pub. Higher costs it seems to be, then you, and the industry, have a serious issue.

It seems VFI and the government think the best way to deal with that is to remove the competition. Show me another industry where that approach has worked?

Im not going to enlighten you - do your research before spouting nonesense. You claim the off licences will pocket the difference when minimum pricing comes in - that is not the case whatsoever.

Im sorry but im sticking you on ignore, i want to stay involved in the conversation but this type of nonesense is exhausting. thanks

:D

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The consumer does not need to consider it, that is the business owners problem. Do you adjust the price of your product based on my disposable income?

If your costs are too high to enable you to compete then do something about the costs.

You still haven't given any explanation of why a btl of Carlsberg costing €1.50 in the offy can be charged at €4.50 in the pub. Higher costs it seems to be, then you, and the industry, have a serious issue.

It seems VFI and the government think the best way to deal with that is to remove the competition. Show me another industry where that approach has worked?

Our costs are too high, but as you point out we dont adjust our prices to accomodate your DI so I take your point.

I would point out however that if we were to sell a btl of carlsberg at €1:50, all things considered we would be losing money and selling at a loss!!

Our costs are too high, but as you point out we dont adjust our prices to accomodate your DI so I take your point.

I would point out however that if we were to sell a btl of carlsberg at €1:50, all things considered we would be losing money and selling at a loss!!

No, you would not be selling at a loss. Pedantic point but one that should be pointed out. No way an offy can buy and sell a btl at €1.50 and still make money and you can't.

In saying that, in terms of total profits, yes I agree with all other costs taken into account you may be losing money. But that is your issue not mine. That somebody spends €2m on a pub is the fault of the market, not the consumer.

You therefore have to look at your costs. The key of the issue is that a new type of competitor entered the market, to take account of the new type of consumer. Is is much like the retail trade suffering from the likes of Amazon etc. You need to offer something they don't.

Make them far more child friendly places (and that means creating activities for the kids to do, not just saying it). Look at the example of McDonalds. They continually adapt to take account of changing customer trends, Kids play zones, coffee desks, salads etc. (I use these as examples, not saying each pub can/should do this)

What have pubs done? Free soft drinks? Create a play area? If you can't adapt you will die. MUP is only going to delay it, and probably end up actually creating more

No, you would not be selling at a loss. Pedantic point but one that should be pointed out. No way an offy can buy and sell a btl at €1.50 and still make money and you can't.

Yes there is a way.

The rates on a standard sized off licence would be about a grand - my own are 8k!

The Insurance on a standard sized off licence would be about €500 pa - Mine is 8k

The heating - electricity and numerous other things are exponentially higher in a pub than they are in an off licence so I whole heartedly disagree with your above point.

Adaptation etc has nothing to do with what we are discussing (mup) so I wont go into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

sorry if this has already been stated - but does anyone know roughly how much beer will cost under minimum pricing per litre? Today i saw Heineken on offer in tesco for 2.50 per litre (30 euro per tray). This is the cheapest I've seen Heineken - sometimes you it'll go down from it's "normal" price to about for 3 euro per litre.

Yes there is a way.

The rates on a standard sized off licence would be about a grand - my own are 8k!

The Insurance on a standard sized off licence would be about €500 pa - Mine is 8k

The heating - electricity and numerous other things are exponentially higher in a pub than they are in an off licence so I whole heartedly disagree with your above point.

Adaptation etc has nothing to do with what we are discussing (mup) so I wont go into it!

As I said, it is pedantic point. You are not technically selling at a loss, however you may make a loss overall. Anyway, I agree that you may end up losing money.

MUP is aimed at reducing the price gap between the offy and the pub. My point about adaption is that most other industries need to adapt to survive rather than simply reduce the advantages of the competitors.

No point going on about the health benefits, nobody believes it. I have no gra for the offy, but I don't like this clear attempt to legislate away the problem facing the pub.

Instead, the likes of VFI etc should be getting together to overcome the issues they are facing. A proper transport structure (so that a pub such as yours can operate on more than just the willingness of the employees for eg), getting the breweries to help fund upgrades and help with reducing prices for soft drinks etc.

How about setting up partnerships with the local taxi firm, chipper etc. Give the consumer a reason to accept the higher price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless the retailer has to send the MUP to the revenue I can't see how they can legislate against that.
    Oh dear.

Only the large supermarkets that source their beer abroad will pocket the difference and only on the cheap plonk. Brand name beer is already above the MUP.

Expect Irish distributors to ratchet up the price they charge to Irish retailers simply because they can.

Remember not a single cent extra of excise duty will be raised by this measure. In fact since the stated aim is to reduce alcohol consumption excise collection will fall. So less for the Health Services.

Yes VAT will increase, but unless people dip into their savings then this VAT would be offset by the stuff they didn't buy to pay for their tipple.

Anyone drinking minimum price alcohol probably isn't flash with cash

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Anyone drinking minimum price alcohol probably isn't flash with cash

What are you trying to get across? I earn €4200/month gross. I enjoy the taste of Tesco lager. 4 cans of 3.8% beer (440ml each) for €2.64.

As I said, it is pedantic point. You are not technically selling at a loss, however you may make a loss overall. Anyway, I agree that you may end up losing money.

Thanks
    MUP is aimed at reducing the price gap between the offy and the pub. My point about adaption is that most other industries need to adapt to survive rather than simply reduce the advantages of the competitors.

Thats not what it's aimed at though. Can you please identify where that is stated in the proposed legislation
    No point going on about the health benefits, nobody believes it. I have no gra for the offy, but I don't like this clear attempt to legislate away the problem facing the pub.

I believe it - and through first hand experience believe it will improve the health of those who over indulge simply because it's cheap. Whether or not you perceive this to be the government pricing out the poor or not - the fact is overall, consumption levels across the country will fall, and some of those with alcohol issues will find it more difficult to binge drink. Which is, to put it in very simple terms, good for their health!!
    Instead, the likes of VFI etc should be getting together to overcome the issues they are facing. A proper transport structure (so that a pub such as yours can operate on more than just the willingness of the employees for eg), getting the breweries to help fund upgrades and help with reducing prices for soft drinks etc.

This has been ongoing for years with the VFI trying to get hackney licences etc available publicans in rural areas, taxi companies have no interest in operating at reduced rates - when people want taxi's they are allready busy at full price, and have no interest in hanging around rural areas for the chance of a couple of fares. Any taxis near us head to the towns at the weekends, we give our customers lifts home for free.

Coca cola again have a a designated driver scheme for years now, no-one uses it even though we have it advertised in our place. Free coke products for drivers.

No offence but your 2 "solutions" have been in effect for quite some time. I'd hazard a guess like many others posting in here your dont visit the pub very often!

sorry if this has already been stated - but does anyone know roughly how much beer will cost under minimum pricing per litre? Today i saw Heineken on offer in tesco for 2.50 per litre (30 euro per tray). This is the cheapest I've seen Heineken - sometimes you it'll go down from it's "normal" price to about for 3 euro per litre.

Here is a link which gives a few prices.

http://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-price-alcohol-3688251-Nov2017/

Heineken was available at 24e a case a few times this year but 30e is ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is a far cry from a sop to the vintners - the vintners have struggled to get anything from the last 3 governments bar keeping the vat on drink down no price increases during budgets. Any other recommendation / proposal have been waved away. The drink industry is not popular, the government and vintners have been at loggerheads since the smoking ban.

Can I just add in relation to the vintners for those who dont know.

The vintners is the union who represent publicans in Ireland. VFI
    They do not represent pubs in dublin - Thats the Lva
    They are made up primarily of small, family owned and run establishments employing 10 people or less.
    They do not represent restaurants - Thats the RAI
    They, like any other group try to protect the livlihoods of it's members, that should not be frowned upon, it's the same as that ASTI or INMO

The hate for the organization is baffling.

Hold on horse. The sector has had 9% tax since 2011.

Give up with this crap of struggling to get anything off the government.

9% tax and no increases on alcohol.

And yet you still can't innovate and get out from under the Diageo Heineken controlled drink selection.

You've only yourselves to blame. There's been a boom in whiskey and craft industry here yet you lads can't seem to get your ****e together.

Go figure......

Ardinn, I'm just trying to make suggestions to help your industry to win back lost custom.

You seem happy to dismiss many on here as not qualified to discuss it yet its not like the VFI or others have the answer either. If they did they wouldn't fight against the smoking ban, coffee culture or deregulation.

Instead they want to restrict competition by use of legislation.

Maybe if you have tried all of this and still see no improvement most people would tell you the writing is on the wall.

But carry on and keep telling your customers that their opinion doesn't matter. If you are such an expert work it out yourself, just don't expect the rest of us to help protect your industry.

FYI
    This is from the VFI website

November 9, 2017

Publicans urge Minister to expedite Public Health (Alcohol) Bill

The Vintners’ Federation of Ireland today (9th November) says it fully supports the provisions of the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill and urges Minister for Health Simon Harris to press ahead with implementation of the Bill.
    Padraig Cribben, Chief Executive, VFI, states: “The Public Health (Alcohol) Bill is a serious piece of legislation that all medical experts agree will save lives. As publicans we fully support a Bill that will reduce misuse of alcohol through the introduction of minimum unit pricing. This will abolish the sale of ultra-cheap alcohol in supermarkets.
    “There is a misconception that the drinks industry is totally opposed to the Bill. In reality, the pub sector along with independent off licences, who together form the major part of the drinks industry, support the Bill.”
    Mr Cribben also addressed the impact the Bill would have on smaller retail outlets.
    “Much has been made of the effect segregation of alcohol from other products will have on small retail outlets. This is a cynical move, initiated and supported by large retailers to distract from the fact they continue to use cheap alcohol as a loss leader and footfall driver.”
    The VFI Chief Executive says the delay in progressing the Bill is frustrating and action needs to be taken.
    “For two years the Bill has been discussed, debated and dissected with little or no progress. It’s now time for the Minister to step up and take decisive action,” he concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I've said this before but I think it's quite pertinent,before cheap drink in the Off Licence pubs couldn't care less about Good Friday Closing.
    Most publicans I would have spoken to used to say how great it was, how they could get a few jobs done, have a day etc.
    Then cheaper off licence drink comes along, the offies are jammed on the Thursday before Easter and suddenly GF is a problem for the publicans.
    Now they go on about tourists and the embarrassment the situation presents ( and yes it is embarrassing that in 2017 such deference is being shown to an organisation that along with the banks have done untold damage to his country) but let's have the real reason, the pubs want a slice of the action.
    The publicans halted the cafe bars which frankly was a fabulous idea, imagine being able to have some food with a pint in the evening at anytime other than a bag of taytos, now they're trying to kill off people enjoying a drink in their own home.
    In Portugal I had a beer with my meal in KFC, why can't I do the same here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

elperello wrote: »
    FYI
    This is from the VFI website

November 9, 2017

Publicans urge Minister to expedite Public Health (Alcohol) Bill

The Vintners’ Federation of Ireland today (9th November) says it fully supports the provisions of the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill and urges Minister for Health Simon Harris to press ahead with implementation of the Bill.
    Padraig Cribben, Chief Executive, VFI, states: “The Public Health (Alcohol) Bill is a serious piece of legislation that all medical experts agree will save lives. As publicans we fully support a Bill that will reduce misuse of alcohol through the introduction of minimum unit pricing. This will abolish the sale of ultra-cheap alcohol in supermarkets.
    “There is a misconception that the drinks industry is totally opposed to the Bill. In reality, the pub sector along with independent off licences, who together form the major part of the drinks industry, support the Bill.”
    Mr Cribben also addressed the impact the Bill would have on smaller retail outlets.
    “Much has been made of the effect segregation of alcohol from other products will have on small retail outlets. This is a cynical move, initiated and supported by large retailers to distract from the fact they continue to use cheap alcohol as a loss leader and footfall driver.”
    The VFI Chief Executive says the delay in progressing the Bill is frustrating and action needs to be taken.
    “For two years the Bill has been discussed, debated and dissected with little or no progress. It’s now time for the Minister to step up and take decisive action,” he concluded.

Biggest load of hypocrisy I've ever seen.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Biggest load of hypocrisy I've ever seen.

More from the LVA (Dublin Publicans) website

The Department of Health – on minimum pricing

• The Association’s lobbying over the years has led to the inclusion of Minimum Price legislation which is currently provided for in the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill. This is something the Dublin trade has been seeking for several years, which has led to a debate in the House of the Oireachtas

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

They're just having a laugh by saying things like cheap and ultra cheap. Ireland already has expensive cans and spirits. If this ****e goes through we'll be rip off central.

I know loads of people this would affect. Most people buy cans at less than the MUP and all of those people will notice a price increase of about 50%, on something they spend a fair bit on.

We still haven't seen any proposed wording of the proposed law. The draft wording said that if you include additional products with the alcohol the extra products are ignored for the MUP. That totally defeats the purpose.

Advertisement