Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep in other people's houses.

Options
  • 19-08-2006 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

Anybody else have problems with it? How about any solutions?

Usually it takes me a good hour or two before I'll nod off ... and then in the morning I'll wake early. Obviously this changes if I've had a drink, but that's kind of irrelevant.

Is this normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I sleep fine in other houses, unless im on the couch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Aard wrote:
    Anybody else have problems with it? How about any solutions?

Usually it takes me a good hour or two before I'll nod off ... and then in the morning I'll wake early. Obviously this changes if I've had a drink, but that's kind of irrelevant.

Is this normal?

I'm the same tbh. I cannot go to sleep in other peoples homes. Just kind of lie there looking around. Although not in a bad way, but the house smells different than your own. It is an instinctive thing I'd imagine, I'd conk out in seconds at my mums too. Not much changes when I've been on a night out, I'd rather spend stupid money on a taxi just to get home to my own bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Me too. I'm used to the noises that my own house makes.
    Other people's houses have a different "rhythm" to them.
    We have friends who live out in the country who's house we sleep at now and again. I never get a good night's sleep there. And yes, I awaken very early.
    But there is a bonus to that. I perk up a pot of coffee and watch the sun rise from their front porch which is nice.

Odd that if I feel comfortable enough to help myself to coffee that I don't get a better night's sleep there.

Same for hotels. I hear everyone in the halls and next rooms and wake up all night long.

L4L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I tend to sleepwalk in strange houses... had some really funny incidents doing this!! Imagine finding me naked at the foot of your bed at four in the morning, clutching a teddy bear!!! Scary!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm the very same, was on holidays in London four weeks ago and I was up at 5.30am every morning, having only drifted off at about 2am, I came home knackered!

• Advertisement

Posted by boneless:
    Imagine finding me naked at the foot of your bed at four in the morning, clutching a teddy bear!!! Scary!!

Oh, but most of us already DO imagine that! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I used to be like that I think, same as at home now. They always comment on how freakily alert I am when asleep. Trying to sneak so as not to disturb me, I always wake up in about a second, but if it is just normal traffic etc, I'll stay asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I tend to "skim" sleep when I'm in others houses. I sleep, wake, sleep, wake. I also dream more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Slept in a friend's guest room the other day. Did not notice any probs, cause I don't sleep well in my own flat. Have trouble sleeping no matter where...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Never manage to sleep properly in strange beds, most annoying, have to be completely knackerd to sleep well in most cases, sometimes its ok though.

• Advertisement

Was too drunk to drive home last night. 5 hours of Zombie Dead sleep!
    \0/

But I did actually sleep an hour later than I have been lately!
    (oh my head!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

When I get into bed first, I feel a bit weird. Don't know why. But then after a few minutes I'll just conk out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I am normally fine when sleeping in other houses. I feel like I sleep but I wake up feeling that groggy and quite tired.

Advertisement