Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server Recommendations

• 27-11-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Apologies if this question has been posted several times before, I'm sure it has but I have not been able to find the thread.

I'm looking to purchase a mid range home server, will mostly likely be running on ubuntu and primarily will be used for plex and storage. Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

This might not be a popular suggestion, but i have been using a Raspberry Pi 4B 4Gig Version for this.

it is running
    Plex for Movies TV, and it can transcode 4k just fine. I do not think it could transcode 4k to two devices at the same time smoothly
    Deluge for torrents linked with plug-ins for auto-downloading over RSS feeds
    Samba for file sharing getting 80-90 MBps transfer, Over Gig Network
    2x USB3 4T ext4 drives auto-mounted, sleeps when idle.
    1xUsb 3 pen-disk for the unfinished downloads.
    PiHole for Ad stripping DNS cashing.
    The Raspbian OS is still 32bit, the 64bit is coming out at some point upping performance.

This can also be done on any server, you can pick up a Dell T310 on ebay for a little over 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

hi there, can you give me more details on your self, have you raspevery running on a Dell T310?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

I have an 8 bay Synology DS1819+ with Seagate 12TB Ironwolf drives in it. It’s not cheap but does the job very well. It’s more or less plug and play. Has it’s own streaming software but you can install plex if you want. It’s used for streaming and as another backup location for a number of PC’s and Macs. You can upgrade the RAM, add a 10GB card and an M.2 SSD for faster IOPS, none of which I did as it was grand for my purposes. If you ever run out of space you can add on an expansion unit. It’s probably overkill but I shouldn’t have to look for another solution for a good while. I have used their smaller units in the past and never had a problem with them, had the very odd disk failure on the smaller units (Used WD Reds in those) but swapping them out was a breeze.

tech wrote: »
    hi there, can you give me more details on your self, have you raspevery running on a Dell T310?
    What do you need to kow ?
    No i had a Pi4 4GB running it, But it would work just as good on a T310.
    I have since moved to a R720 to add Hardware transcoding.
    I said before that the Pi4 could Handel 4k transcode i was mistaken, it will direct play 4k just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

Hi there , thanks

so you have plex running on this Pi4 4GB kit?

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Starter-Kit/dp/B07V5JTMV9

I have never setup Pi but might give it a go,

If you preference PLex, or Kodi?

My tv has plex built in, so that is what i use.

Advertisement