Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the weather like in your area 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Are we sleepwalking into another Fodder Crisis?

Ffs really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Snow, wind and a cold face. Praying there wont be any lambs tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

I'm trying to get on top of things as much as possible this year so I went out to the silage field to pick the sticks. I was leaving deep footprints as soon as I entered the field and its normally a dry field. There's no way it will be ready for any kind of fertiliser application anytime in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Plenty of feed out their, the quality of it is the problem wouldnt fancy trying to milk cows of the vast majority of 1st cut silage that was made last year in the slops of rain in late may/early june, pure poison to a freshly calved milking cow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yeah have a full pit yet to open, quality is poor tho would take supplementation to make up for it if no grass in the diet. Have another few weeks before I would need to open it tho. Under 5% grazed here so even if things dry up the second round may still be an issue in April but we'll cross that when we come to it.
    Odds are things will improve, last spring had us spoiled , Feb was excellent but they had to come back in fulltime for 2.5 weeks in March here, hopefully that will reverse this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    Yeah have a full pit yet to open, quality is poor tho would take supplementation to make up for it if no grass in the diet. Have another few weeks before I would need to open it tho. Under 5% grazed here so even if things dry up the second round may still be an issue in April but we'll cross that when we come to it.
    Odds are things will improve, last spring had us spoiled , Feb was excellent but they had to come back in fulltime for 2.5 weeks in March here, hopefully that will reverse this year.

There's no promising weather forecast up till the 11th of March.
    That's as far as the gfs forecast goes.
    It's rain with incursions of polar maritime from the nw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

There's no promising weather forecast up till the 11th of March.
    That's as far as the gfs forecast goes.
    It's rain with incursions of polar maritime from the nw.

Good weather is always far away when your watching the like of that in a bad time.
    anyways i reckon you won't be able to wear your coat watching the floats on st. Patrick's day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Tileman

Ah it’s surprising what a good week does this tune of year. The days are getting longer and better chance to dry out.

I had a bit of silage up for sale past few months. Not a phone call in 3 months and 4 calls this week so it must be getting a bit tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2-3 cm snow all over.
    Frozen solid.
    Light snow flurries at moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »
    2-3 cm snow all over.
    Frozen solid.
    Light snow flurries at moment.

Sun shining here atm, warmish out with no breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sun shining here atm, warmish out with no breeze.

Its a lovely spring morning here also, just not too warm. Brutal night though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Spring day in the SE. Cool and the odd gust makes it worse but overall pretty good.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dry cold day but no drying as such. Rain of 5-8mm forecast until Sunday. Land wet camni see stick out for at least another two weeks.

I see a dairy farmer having cows out for 2-3 hours a day. Not marking land too bad but cows have to walk 3km of a round journey I wonder the economics of it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dry cold day but no drying as such. Rain of 5-8mm forecast until Sunday. Land wet camni see stick out for at least another two weeks.

I see a dairy farmer having cows out for 2-3 hours a day. Not marking land too bad but cows have to walk 3km of a round journey I wonder the economics of it.

It's about having the regrowth in April from that bit of ground really, if not enough is grazed going back in with silage in April to cover the bit of the wedge missing can hit solids etc and/ or use tight stocks of silage. Has to be done carefully so as not to put the cow under pressure too as they must go out hungry for it to be effective from a clean out point of view so there is a thin line to be threaded

Did a walk of a few paddocks. Even with the bad weather of the past few days there's growth there. Ground soaked very well. Greeness is very evident.
    Today was a peach of a day. Currently 4c under a clear sky.

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's about having the regrowth in April from that bit of ground really, if not enough is grazed going back in with silage in April to cover the bit of the wedge missing can hit solids etc and/ or use tight stocks of silage. Has to be done carefully so as not to put the cow under pressure too as they must go out hungry for it to be effective from a clean out point of view so there is a thin line to be threaded

The first and last grazing is for the grass, the others are for the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

HBpwcE1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oh just fook off..:D Just when things are nice and sunny

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh just fook off..:D Just when things are nice and sunny

Yellow rainfall warning here as well.

Lovely day here, warm and sunny. All the sheep outside today for the first time but access back to the shed if they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Pissing rain here and ground soaking. Had a digger lined up to clear some whins and stuff but no go as ground too wet.
    Is there an allowance on the March 1 deadline due to weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

cjmc wrote: »
    Pissing rain here and ground soaking. Had a digger lined up to clear some whins and stuff but no go as ground too wet.

nope
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

Just wondering does anybody on here follow MT Craniums forecasts. Came across it during the week. Is it accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Hershall wrote: »
    Just wondering does anybody on here follow MT Craniums forecasts. Came across it during the week. Is it accurate?

Most people here do
    It's usually reasonably accurate
    He can get rain totals wrong,max wind gusts or amounts of snow but is fairly good at the overall weather type for the day or next few days
    Its entirely a blend of models he is using so sometimes theres uncertainty, but he will say so if so
    He is canada based so also sometimes lack of local weather variation knowledge here let's him down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It seems NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

cjmc wrote: »

I'm in the same boat here. You'd probably get it done but it's some busy body reporting it is the big fear. I know of someone getting a field tidied up with hedge cutter and saw. Field well inland from any road. Contractor working away happily till 2 garda appeared in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'm in the same boat here. You'd probably get it done but it's some busy body reporting it is the big fear. I know of someone getting a field tidied up with hedge cutter and saw. Field well inland from any road. Contractor working away happily till 2 garda appeared in the field.

There was more than a bit of tidying if there was both a hedge cutter and saw there. The regs are there for a reason. There a big difference between a lads trimming a hedge 5-6 days late and a lad clearing a field during the nesting season.

Regs are there for a reason, I know there are loads of them but you just have to work around them. I know it's a pain when you annex to carry out some work and the wether comes wrong that year to do it. But some lads no matter how good the weather will find a reason to disobey them.

I had hedges that had to be done this year. When the weather was marginal there end of January I got a lad in told him to avoid the very bad spots where it was extra wet. He got 90%done.

Slava Ukrainii

Red wind warning for Clare and Galway tomorrow and the rest of the country is upgraded to Orange.

Be careful out there tomorrow, folks.

Red wind warning for Clare and Galway tomorrow and the rest of the country is upgraded to Orange.

Be careful out there tomorrow, folks.

I just came on to see had you that up. :p

It looks like Clare will get it rough and some in north Galway might be wondering what the fuss is about. And then there's a track from Clare to Dublin where it could be bad enough. And then the very south of wexford won't be the nicest either.

And all during daylight hours.
    Kick a football in Clare and it might land in Dublin!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was 13 degrees at 7pm this evening

Advertisement