Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a soccer coach working in Abu Dhabi

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Did you bump into Diego Maradona when he was there? Any story worth sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Is there much vetting involved?

• Company Representative Posts: 24 Verified rep I'm a Soccer Coach in Abu Dhabi, AMA

bangkok wrote: »
    Are there any players from that region who you think will do well at a big club in Europe?

It's hard to tell with 7 and 8 year olds to be honest. I can think of two children who can make a career in the game, whether that's at the top level, I don't know. They have bundles of technical ability.

We don't see all the players either but there is one 9 year old at a rival club and he is gifted. His game intelligence is outrageous and he plays above his age. He may play for Spain someday.
    Do any big players from Europe ever go to where you are to do some coaching?

Well they don't come to us anyway! We have no affiliation with a big club as such. We might try to forge a relationship with a local UAE team.

Man City and Juventus often have legends come over to do a Q&A and photo opportunities but they never coach.

• Company Representative Posts: 24 Verified rep I'm a Soccer Coach in Abu Dhabi, AMA

gzoladz wrote: »
    Did you bump into Diego Maradona when he was there? Any story worth sharing?

Nope! I'vve touched Roberto Carlos' hand and I saw Edgar Davids. That's about it. Carlos is tiny by the way.

Is there much vetting involved?

I had to submit my garda vetting to apply for the job. We also have to do a police check every three months and submit it to a school and that covers all schools we go to then.
    It's very easy to do. You just go on to the Ministry of Interior app and submit your details and they run a check. It's done in 24 hours.

We also had to attend a child protection seminar last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What level are you at on FAI Ladder?

What’s your ambition in coaching for the future?

What level were you working at prior to your current role?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What level are you at on FAI Ladder?

What’s your ambition in coaching for the future?

What level were you working at prior to your current role?

I've the UEFA B licence

At the moment I'm happy where I am. Maybe I'll try and move towards the coach education side. I would like to not just be a good coach at the foundation level but a great coach. There's a lot to learn! There will be more focus on our delivery this year and more opportunities for feedback as coaches.

I was working at a very basic level on a part-time basis. It was enjoyable but a bit monotonous. It wasn't a club so we didn't have teams so you'd teach and see them improve but you do live for match day and that was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Did you watch the Ireland vs Switzerland game on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

As a child with visions of greatness I took part in a soccer tournament in Sallynoggin (8yo?). Our team expected to win outright.
    After the first defeat, an embarassing 10-0 or so, we realised we were not world beaters.
    The other teams passed the ball, got into position to accept passes, spoke to each other, and held their shape.

Do your children learn to play a passing game, or do they all run after the ball like a swarm of bees?
    Are the rules relaxed, or strict e.g. do you play offside?

Did you watch the Ireland vs Switzerland game on Thursday?

No, it kicked off at 11pm here and I had to be up at 6.30am on Friday so I went to bed rather than lose two hours sleep to the same old story every time Ireland play.

• Advertisement

As a child with visions of greatness I took part in a soccer tournament in Sallynoggin (8yo?). Our team expected to win outright.
    After the first defeat, an embarassing 10-0 or so, we realised we were not world beaters.
    The other teams passed the ball, got into position to accept passes, spoke to each other, and held their shape.

Do your children learn to play a passing game, or do they all run after the ball like a swarm of bees?
    Are the rules relaxed, or strict e.g. do you play offside?

No, they don't all run after the ball like a swarm of bees. We do basic work on shape. They'll understand what a formation is and why it's best to play that way (triangles and diamonds).
    A passing game just for the sake of passing is far from our philosophy. We want to develop players who will win 90% of their 1v1 challenges. We want players who can make good decisions (when to pass and when to dribble).
    When they lose the ball we want them to show desire to win the ball back.

That's the very basic of our philosophy as a club.

There's offside from U11 onwards where they play 9v9 but it's not your traditional offside. There's an offside line marked out by cones. This will allow the kids to gain an understanding of offside and allow coaches to work on the defense staying together and moving up.

U13 onwards is proper offside.

There's never offside at 7v7 or 5v5.

We also allow for retreat lines in 5v5 to give the teams a chance to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Do you have any interest in the local league?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

ever been to Dubai?

if so, What's the difference between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

Do you have any interest in the local league?

I haven't really taken much of an interest but they've worked to rebrand it and are pushing it more so maybe I will. All of the clubs are up in the centre of the city so it's not always easy to attend. I do have an Al Ain jersey though!

Al Jazira is probably the club we've been most connected with but I'm a fan of the Al Wahda jerseys so maybe I'll go to with them! :pac:

ever been to Dubai?

if so, What's the difference between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

Yes I went for a couple of days to do the main tourist stuff (Burj Khalifa and the fountain and the Frame). I haven't been out to the party areas or done any of the beaches there. Driving was stressful. Google Maps struggles to keep up with the billiondy forks in the roads and you're screwed if you miss your turn. The metro is class if you're on the line though.

Dubai feels bigger and more compact at the same time if that makes sense? It's got way more high rise buildings and it seems to be busier all of the time.

I think Abu Dhabi is perfectly paced for me.

I've also been to Dubai for a couple of tournaments but that's literally to the tournament and home again so I feel that it doesn't really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Yes I went for a couple of days to do the main tourist stuff (Burj Khalifa and the fountain and the Frame). I haven't been out to the party areas or done any of the beaches there. Driving was stressful. Google Maps struggles to keep up with the billiondy forks in the roads and you're screwed if you miss your turn. The metro is class if you're on the line though.

Dubai feels bigger and more compact at the same time if that makes sense? It's got way more high rise buildings and it seems to be busier all of the time.

I think Abu Dhabi is perfectly paced for me.

I've also been to Dubai for a couple of tournaments but that's literally to the tournament and home again so I feel that it doesn't really count.

Is it true that people in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do?

Is it true that people in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do?

Undeniably true.

That's the second time this week I've heard that one! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I've the UEFA B licence

At the moment I'm happy where I am. Maybe I'll try and move towards the coach education side. I would like to not just be a good coach at the foundation level but a great coach. There's a lot to learn! There will be more focus on our delivery this year and more opportunities for feedback as coaches.

I was working at a very basic level on a part-time basis. It was enjoyable but a bit monotonous. It wasn't a club so we didn't have teams so you'd teach and see them improve but you do live for match day and that was missing.

Have you ever worked in the adult game? (17s up) in my experience you see results at the level a bit quicker then at schoolboys. Are you attended any courses or workshop under the local football association banner?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have you ever worked in the adult game? (17s up) in my experience you see results at the level a bit quicker then at schoolboys. Are you attended any courses or workshop under the local football association banner?

No I haven't and I have no real interest in doing so. I did a few of my UEFA B assignments with the senior team in my local club but that was just to get the practice in. I didn't particularly enjoy it.

I find with the UAE FA is that the course or workshop has been completed and on social media before I find anything out about it!

There's a club in Dubai that hosts FA Level courses. They are all "worth less" than UEFA B so would be a waste of time. I am hoping to do the Futsal Level 1 though if they run it some time during the year.

Having the time off to do these things is the most difficult part. I work 6 days a week and there isn't always cover.

Any last questions before we blow the final whistle on the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Any last questions before we blow the final whistle on the thread?

In the future do you hope to remain employed in football full time ?
    If yes are you ok with living away for the rest of your own life as chances to be employed full time in Ireland are limited?

In the future do you hope to remain employed in football full time ?
    If yes are you ok with living away for the rest of your own life as chances to be employed full time in Ireland are limited?

Jeez, great question. It's something I get a fleeting thought about every now and then.
    Up to about 3rd year in school I had always said I wanted to be a P.E. teacher and maybe I might pursue that in distant future so I can move home. I could still combine football with that.

I couldn't imagine living my entire life away from home. I know when my parents get old and need help I would like to be there for them.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thank you to everyone for your questions and to our soccer coach guest for her answers, a very interesting career and location!

I'll close this one up now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement