Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith, Woodley vs Usman - Sat March 2nd

• 25-02-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

235.jpg
    MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 3am)

Champ Jon Jones vs. Anthony Smith (Light Heavyweight title)
    Champ Tyron Woodley vs. Kamaru Usman (Welterweight title)
    Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler
    Tecia Torres vs. Weili Zhang
    Cody Garbrandt vs. Pedro Munhoz

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 1am)

Zabit Magomedsharipov vs. Jeremy Stephens
    Misha Cirkunov vs. Johnny Walker
    Alejandro Perez vs. Cody Stamann
    Mickey Gall vs. Diego Sanchez

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 11:15pm)

Charles Byrd vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
    Macy Chiasson vs. Gina Mazany
    Frankie Saenz vs. Marlon Vera
    Hannah Cifers vs. Polyana Viana

Episode II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

My body is ready. What a fookin card. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Work is going to be slow this week waiting for this to roll around, pray to the MMA gods the card stays intact. In the three big fights, I’d go for Askren, Usman and Jones, all on points. I feel that Lionheart will surprise a few and be competitive for a couple of rounds and have the durability to go the distance, but won’t have the class to beat one of the best ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The pre-lims are quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'd like to see John Jones get beaten but I know that realistically it isn't going to happen the bookies have Smith to win @ 7/1 so like everyone else they're giving him no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

martyos121 wrote: »
    Work is going to be slow this week waiting for this to roll around, pray to the MMA gods the card stays intact. In the three big fights, I’d go for Askren, Usman and Jones, all on points. I feel that Lionheart will surprise a few and be competitive for a couple of rounds and have the durability to go the distance, but won’t have the class to beat one of the best ever.

really you think usman beats woodley? can i ask why you think that? im not trying to be smart or condescending. i am genuinely interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    really you think usman beats woodley? can i ask why you think that? im not trying to be smart or condescending. i am genuinely interested

I’m not saying he definitely beats him or anything remotely similar, it’s really close for me so a prediction of any sort is a tenuous one, but I’m giving him the slight edge for a few reasons (some of them conditional). He appears to have the cardio to match Woodley and seems to grow into fights rather than tire which is a useful ability against someone as well-conditioned as Woodley, and he has a decent bit of 5 round experience at this stage so the championship rounds shouldn’t be the undoing of this particular challenger. Also, his striking has come on a long way over the past year and a half, still not elite of course but he shouldn’t feel too uncomfortable standing up with Woodley, even though that right overhand can put him down at any point. I think the standup battle is fairly even, and will be cautious early on.

I’m not entirely sure what sort of fight we’ll see, but I can imagine Usman trying to hold Woodley up against the cage for a good portion of the early rounds and draining the power out of his arms for the rest of the fight and possibly taking away any fear of the big right hand. If he can dominate the clinch early on, I’d give him a great chance of winning tbh, but Woodley is also one of the best in that area so it’s tough to call. The first grappling exchange will tell a lot, it’s hard to say who the stronger of the two is until we see them engage even though most will just assume Woodley is before the bell even rings. I feel he might finally be meeting someone who can compete with his wrestling, he hasn’t had that since he fought Rory who showed that he can be taken down and controlled on the ground when he got on top of him in the last round of that fight. Still, Woodley has improved a lot since that fight so again, we’ll see on the night to what degree.

It’s the most interesting fight on the card for me even though there’ll be little excitement, and as intelligent and supremely athletic as Woodley is, it’s a much tougher fight for him than many seem to realise. Even though I’d pick Usman to win by grinding out a tight decision victory (and as I said before, it’s a tenuous prediction made originally for the sake of choosing winners in the three big fights), I wouldn’t be putting money on it either. Just looking forward to seeing how it pans out, certainly not writing Tyron off as he’s quite clearly one of the best welterweights in the history of the UFC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Would have thought the game plan you spelled out for Usman is exactly what Woodley will do. Just my two cents though

Personally can only see a decision from Woodley although I'd absolutely love to see him dethroned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Woodley will just let him comforward, like he always does, and then poleaxe him with the pull back right, like he always does.

There's nothing Usman can do that woodley can't do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’m not saying he definitely beats him or anything remotely similar, it’s really close for me so a prediction of any sort is a tenuous one, but I’m giving him the slight edge for a few reasons (some of them conditional). He appears to have the cardio to match Woodley and seems to grow into fights rather than tire which is a useful ability against someone as well-conditioned as Woodley, and he has a decent bit of 5 round experience at this stage so the championship rounds shouldn’t be the undoing of this particular challenger. Also, his striking has come on a long way over the past year and a half, still not elite of course but he shouldn’t feel too uncomfortable standing up with Woodley, even though that right overhand can put him down at any point. I think the standup battle is fairly even, and will be cautious early on.

I’m not entirely sure what sort of fight we’ll see, but I can imagine Usman trying to hold Woodley up against the cage for a good portion of the early rounds and draining the power out of his arms for the rest of the fight and possibly taking away any fear of the big right hand. If he can dominate the clinch early on, I’d give him a great chance of winning tbh, but Woodley is also one of the best in that area so it’s tough to call. The first grappling exchange will tell a lot, it’s hard to say who the stronger of the two is until we see them engage even though most will just assume Woodley is before the bell even rings. I feel he might finally be meeting someone who can compete with his wrestling, he hasn’t had that since he fought Rory who showed that he can be taken down and controlled on the ground when he got on top of him in the last round of that fight. Still, Woodley has improved a lot since that fight so again, we’ll see on the night to what degree.

It’s the most interesting fight on the card for me even though there’ll be little excitement, and as intelligent and supremely athletic as Woodley is, it’s a much tougher fight for him than many seem to realise. Even though I’d pick Usman to win by grinding out a tight decision victory (and as I said before, it’s a tenuous prediction made originally for the sake of choosing winners in the three big fights), I wouldn’t be putting money on it either. Just looking forward to seeing how it pans out, certainly not writing Tyron off as he’s quite clearly one of the best welterweights in the history of the UFC.

i agree with the majority of what your saying. it is the fight i am most looking forward to. i think woodley edges the victory for the following reasons. he has a black belt in jiu jitsu which gives him the edge on the ground which i think makes a massive difference given that they're wrestling is fairly matched. usman has not really been tested the way woodley has that plus the amount of experience woodley has over usman.

woodley has that killer right hand that he can unload at any time which is a fight stopper. all that been said its a fight and when the cage door closes who knows what can happen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Have never been quite sure why so many are eager to see Woodley fall; for me, he's easily the most impressive champ in the past few years. His record speaks for itself and here's hoping time will look more kindly on his considerable achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's his attitude. He's a bit corny and he's very quick to pull the race card at every opportunity. Not to mention plugging his rap songs i his post-fight interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's his attitude. He's a bit corny and he's very quick to pull the race card at every opportunity. Not to mention plugging his rap songs i his post-fight interviews.

Agree, find his personality very boring.

In fairness, I find a lot of Americans lack a real sense of humour and it's like they've had a lobotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Looking forward to this,Some great fights on next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As I tend to avoid anything Jones related I was completely oblivious to this card. Dang, some proper stackage there.

Interested to see how Stephens goes at Zabit - will we see another one of those sidestep sweeps???

Ha ha, still no Askren image on the card on UFC.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I've long thought Usman was the man in that div that has the
    best chance against woodley and think he might just win it on pts by doing
    that little bit more over five.

All I'm seeing is five rounds of both standing and think usman may do enough
    to get a points win, whether he can take that right hand I don't know though but I think he can go harder for five than woodley.

I can't see it being entertaining but if it's even going into the fifth that won't be so bad.
    That first round will be 5 mins of caution imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Love the card.

Not sure I can see any scenario where Usman beats Woodley.

For Smith to beat Jones he'd need to blitz him within the first 30 seconds or he can forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is Stephens a scientologist now? Was talking some mad sh1t to Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is Stephens a scientologist now? Was talking some mad sh1t to Ariel.

Talking about feeling suicidal and his childhood issues. Was interesting tbh, there must be some amount of pressure associated with being a top level fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Best card in a while. Looking forward to all the main fights.

Predicting Jones, Woodley and Askren in the big ones. Can't see Usman beating Woodley. I think he's one of the best fighters out there at the moment. Tactical, fast and skilled. He's the blueprint for the modern pro MMA fighter. Don't care about him outside the ring. Let him rap all he wants. I won't be buying it unless it's good :pac:

The Askren pick is heart more than true belief. He might be a bit one dimensional as a fighter but he's so deep into that dimension it's hard to beat him. Can't wait to see what he brings to UFC and the WW division. Unless he gets picked apart on his feet every time he enters the ring, he should force the grappling level to evolve.

Jones is Jones. He'll probably win.

Does anyone know how long it'll take for this to appear on Fight Pass? I'm away the night it's on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The Vera v Saenz fight has been removed from the card as Vera has an illness.

Autecher wrote: »
    The Vera v Saenz fight has been removed from the card as Vera has an illness.

Please MMA gods accept this sacrifice in honour of this card and allow the other fights to make weight healthy and ready to fight on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Please MMA gods accept this sacrifice in honour of this card and allow the other fights to make weight healthy and ready to fight on Saturday.
    I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion at all but they could lose the 2 title fights and I wouldn't care at all. I have zero interest in either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some height difference between Jones and Woodley. I clearly lose a sense of scale just seeing them fight similarly sized people in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

lads what is aksren like??

ive never seen him

akelly02 wrote: »
    lads what is aksren like??

ive never seen him

The most dominant grappler in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The most dominant grappler in MMA.

sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I see they are going to have microchip sensors in the gloves this weekend. It will be interesting to see the results of velocity and force (providing they released them).

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I see they are going to have microchip sensors in the gloves this weekend. It will be interesting to see the results of velocity and force (providing they released them).

Had to laugh when Askren said they'd think his is broken because the readings would be so low.

Advertisement