Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Separation and change in circumstances

• 17-04-2019 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Apologies if covered in other threads. There are similar but not exactly same.

I’m waiting on family mediation to begin to agree terms of separation. We separated last year I moved out after Christmas. We have no formal arrangement in place at this point.

I pay electricity heating and refuse. No mortgage on house. I pay for kids health insurance and any major outlay.

She covers day to day food and clothing, tv and some kids activities. She also looks after kids full time. She did work. She is in receipt of jobs seekers only.

I earn 55k currently on a temp contract. I’m changing career and will earn approx 25k pa for next 2 years. I have a sideline which can bring in another 10k. And a rental property bringing in another 15k before tax. I live rent free at the moment so with no mortgage my outgoing s are minimal outside my family expenses above. I intend to fully support my kids and believe I can do this on reduced salary. I’m worried that someone will say you can’t change career you have obligations to maintain same salary for wife and kids.

I went to FLAC who basically said that. I went to private solicitor who said it wouldn’t be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

here is my advice, go to family court. get an order put in place. once the order is made it will take into your account your current circumstances. if your circumstances change you can apply to the court to amend its order to take any changed circumstances into account.

It is wise? Well you have every right to change your career and lifestyle. Will this have a detrimental impact on your children circumstances, lifestyle etc, will it sour your relationship with your ex? You know better than strangers.

If the answer to those questions is yes, then you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and evaluate what sacrifices they might have to make to allow your plan come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks I appreciate the advice but I’m hoping to avoid court. I’m going through the family mediation service to reach agreement.

Advertisement