Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling helmet for 5 year old.

• 22-03-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have a 5 year old starting hurling next week. he will need a helmet.

See there are different pricing between o’neills, marc, azzurri, mycro etc

He is only 5 and not even sure if he will take to it. Don’t want to spend loads on a helmet either.

Any advise on which one to get?

Club said they sell ones for 50 Euro at a discount! but even this seems a bit expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

He is only 5 and not even sure if he will take to it. Don’t want to spend loads on a helmet either.

Club said they sell ones for 50 Euro at a discount! but even this seems a bit expensive.

Is he in school? Our school sold them at a great discount, but you may be a bit late for that. I can’t remember which one we have though! At that age, I’d probably buy the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭obi604

jlm29 wrote: »
    Is he in school? Our school sold them at a great discount, but you may be a bit late for that. I can’t remember which one we have though! At that age, I’d probably buy the cheapest.

Yep. But didn’t hear anything from the school about helmets.

Yep, cheapest I will try and go for.

Anyone know which one is the cheapest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Does the club not have any spare helmets that you can use in training? to see will they like the hurling before you have to buy one. Our club let us use theirs when our two started.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

See if the club can loan him one. They may also have good discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately unless you try for 2nd hand you won't find many if any from less than the price quoted in retailers ,Aldi or Lidl did them earlier in the year for cheaper I believe,

Check with your school or club as mentioned above too

• Advertisement

Looking at the elverys website, the azzuri ones are far cheaper than mycro.
    I also looked on adverts, there’s gazillions of them for sale there, if you’d be happy to buy second hand. I suppose that’s no different to borrowing one from the club really- at least if you get your own second hand one, you can bring it home and de-flea it!!

jlm29 wrote: »
    Looking at the elverys website, the azzuri ones are far cheaper than mycro.
    I also looked on adverts, there’s gazillions of them for sale there, if you’d be happy to buy second hand. I suppose that’s no different to borrowing one from the club really- at least if you get your own second hand one, you can bring it home and de-flea it!!

I seen the azzurii ones too. I presume they are fine. Any experiences with them?

I seen the azzurii ones too. I presume they are fine. Any experiences with them?

No, but they’re around long enough that they must be alright. Tbh, a five year old isn’t really going to test the helmet much anyhow, And they’ll outgrow it in a couple of years too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

There are loads of Azzuri helmets in our club. I have never heard any bad reports of them,

huskerdu wrote: »
    There are loads of Azzuri helmets in our club. I have never heard any bad reports of them,

Thanks. Just went with azzurri in the end. 40 Euro, down from 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Best advice I could ever give is to check out people selling them on Facebook or in the local charity shops.

Serious about the Facebook element, the number of people who get a new helmet for their child and find they only try it for a few weeks is massive. The parent then is under pressure to shift on the helmet.

The charity shops are decent too. The local shop to me sells them for €5/€10. Thats the ideal price to pay starting out. Once the child shows commitment, i.e. longer than 15/20 weeks attendance can look at getting them one of their own.

Last thing I would say is get a helmet a different colour to the club colour, you'l find that the club sells helmets to all members in its colours, which parents buy but then when you're looking out for your child you won't be able to identify them in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi

Check first if the Nursery have their own helmets - they often do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Im sure there are a few out there but all clubs I deal with ( Im a junior coach ) supply helmets for the kids.

Makes no sense to buy a helmet for a kid that age. Sure they'll grow out of it in no time!!

Advertisement