Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Doom Movie

• 27-07-2017 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭

I saw this on the Legion Comic Coon Panel... Doctor Doom movie being developed at Fox by Noah Hawley.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Thoughts.... Dr Doom is possibly Marvel's best villain... but Fox haven't been able to do him right in 2 different versions so far.... but Noah Hawley is fantastic so, left to do his thing, could definitely deliver.... but I hate the idea of villains being the protagonists in general...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Thoughts.... Dr Doom is possibly Marvel's best villain... but Fox haven't been able to do him right in 2 different versions so far.... but Noah Hawley is fantastic so, left to do his thing, could definitely deliver.... but I hate the idea of villains being the protagonists in general...

True, first we hear that Sony is developing a Venom movie, and now this Dr Doom movie...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yes yes, I know guys, thanks very much, I promise you it won't change me.

http://screenrant.com/mads-mikkelsen-interested-doctor-doom-movie/

Mads Mikkelsen Interested in Solo Doctor Doom Movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

http://screenrant.com/mads-mikkelsen-interested-doctor-doom-movie/

Mads Mikkelsen Interested in Solo Doctor Doom Movie

He would be great in the role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The mention of Noah Hawley really has me really interested; he's a talented writer & definitely a rising scriptwriting star for sure, with a really imaginative creative eye. Film-making is a much different beast to TV though, and I'd worry he won't get half the freedom he's given with his television productions. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a couple of drafts in before leaving / getting the boot. Read one of his novels a few weeks back: different & more understated beast to his more eccentric TV work but had the same flourish with characters that he brings with his scripts.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/the-mcu-the-fantastic-four-and-the-inevitable-retu.html

With Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) still a few years and 5-6 films from wrapping up, it’s difficult to know exactly what lies in store for the Disney-powered Marvel Studios—beyond additional billions in box office and ample product tie-ins.

Beyond the money and the merchandising, there’s at least one other thing that is certain. Whether by hook, by crook or by the whiskers on Mickey Mouse’s chinny-chin-chin, the Fantastic Four will return to the MCU. The return of Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben back to the fold is inevitable. And not because Fox has so badly fumbled its initial efforts with the property (though that helps), or even because of the Fantastic Four’s status as Marvel’s first family. Ultimately, the MCU must recapture the FF for a simple, yet crucial reason: Disney needs Doom.

Victor von Doom—that’s Doctor Doom to us peons—is arguably the greatest arch-villain on the Marvel roster. Anyone whose knowledge of Doom is limited to the movies may well be unaware of just how towering a presence Doctor Doom is. (Fox’s singular and most dubious achievement with the franchise may be how completely they mangled the presentation of the character.)

Again, the MCU (and by extension the House of Mouse) needs the good Doctor. Regardless of what Disney has planned for life after Phase 3, given how much Hollywood loves a successful formula, the odds they decide to build toward another Thanos-level, all-heroes team-up event are high, and there’s really only one villain big enough to threaten the entire Marvel universe without the benefit of the infinity gems. Scientific genius, powerful sorcerer and the ruler of his own kingdom, Doctor Doom done right is everything one wants in a foe, and like all good end-game bosses, his schemes can threaten the very existence of our fearless heroes before he even makes a cameo.

Despite their earlier miscues, there is some evidence Fox understands how badly they’ve whiffed. In July at the San Diego Comic-Con, Legion creator Noah Hawley announced he was working on a Doctor Doom movie. But ultimately, going Doom-centric is short-sighted, even if Hawley and company stick the landing. Doom needs a fully populated universe to menace.

The MCU has it. Fox, band of merry mutants aside, doesn’t. And though Fox Studios is one of the Big Six studios, it weighs in significantly lighter than the Mouse’s these days, which makes the math pretty simple: Disney needing Doctor Doom equals Disney getting Doctor Doom. Even if that means a sharing arrangement akin to Sony’s recent loan-back of a certain webhead in Spider-Man: Homecoming, that’s good news for Marvel fans and really good news for fans of Mr. Fantastic, the Invisible Woman, the Human Torch and the Thing.

Doom is coming.

http://collider.com/doctor-doom-movie-update-noah-hawley/

Exclusive: Noah Hawley Gives Update on ‘Doctor Doom’ Movie in Wake of Disney/Fox Deal

When it was formally announced that Disney would be acquiring parts of 21st Century Fox, including the film studio and cable channels like FX, a lot of questions loomed large. Disney owns Marvel Studios, which creates superhero movies that take place in a single connected universe. Fox also creates its own superhero movies, that take place in a separate universe. Some of those movies are R-rated, some are connected to each other, and some are completely disconnected from everything else. How will this marriage work? Will films like X-Force that are currently in the works have a home under Disney?

There are still a lot of questions unanswered, but one of the more intriguing projects that’s been in development at Fox is a Doctor Doom movie, to be written and possibly directed by Fargo and Legion creator Noah Hawley. We only first learned of the project last summer and Hawley has most recently been busy working on Legion Season 2, but now that Fox is coming under Disney, does this Doctor Doom movie still have a place?

Collider’s own Christina Radish recently spoke with Hawley at the TCA panel for Legion and asked him about the status of Doctor Doom right now, and he revealed he’s heard precisely nothing with regards to the Disney deal:

“I haven’t had a single conversation yet about Doom in the context of the merger. On some level, we’re still looking at a period of time – probably a year, at the least – for this whole thing to go through. Who knows, corporately, what conversations will be had, but certainly, until it goes through, it’s not a legal thing. I don’t know. I’ve been waiting for the phone to ring to see if anyone is gonna have an opinion. Otherwise, it’s just business as usual for me.”

It’s likely Hawley’s position is not a unique one, and he’s right, the deal for Disney to acquire Fox won’t close for at least a year. Right now, as best we know, Fox is continuing to develop its properties as usual during this transition period, but there’s always the possibility a larger meeting happens in the next few months between Disney CEO Bob Iger, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, and the folks spearheading Fox’s superhero movies (including Simon Kinberg) that hashes out how they proceed from here.

In addition to Doom, Fox had/has big plans for its own X-Men universe, with The Cabin in the Woods filmmaker Drew Goddard coming aboard to write and direct the X-Force movie—which is a team-up film featuring characters from the Deadpool franchise and other Marvel heroes/villains—last September. There are also overarching plans for the Deadpool franchise, with Deadpool 3 already in the works, not to mention a potential New Mutants franchise and the continuation of the proper X-Men saga with this year’s X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

How these films are affected is still a major question mark, but as Hawley reveals, it may be some time before we get clarity on exactly what’s going to happen with the Marvel adaptations currently in development at Fox.

https://nerdist.com/doctor-doom-film-political-thriller-noah-hawley/

Last year, Legion creator and Fargo showrunner Noah Hawley revealed his plans to make a solo Doctor Doom movie that would stand apart from the Fantastic Four films. Though the fate of the project is dependent upon the outcome of the Disney and Fox merger, Hawley recently dropped a few new details about it. And it sounds like he is taking his cues from Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Black Panther by making Doom into a political thriller.

While speaking to Observer, Hawley said, “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre.” Hawley mused further on the inner-workings of the character, asking, “Is he a hero? Is he a villain? What does he really want?”

As Marvel fans can attest, Doom is one of the company’s most enduring villains in part because he is complex and isn’t easily pinned down. In his own mind, Doom has always been a hero, and if it wasn’t for his massive ego, he could have really embraced that part of himself. Doom’s villainy is built around his hubris. He’ll try to conquer the world because he thinks he can save it, and he also believes he deserves it. Even Doom’s rivalry with the Fantastic Four is built on his inability to accept that his rival, Reed Richards, was correct about the experiment that scarred Doom’s face.

During the interview with Observer, Hawley noted he has no mandate to reboot the Fantastic Four in his Doom film, so that Herculean task may fall to a different writer and director. But when and if the Disney deal goes through, we’d love to see Hawley’s take on the Doom character in the MCU.

• Advertisement

https://www.slashfilm.com/noah-hawley-doctor-doom-movie-marvel-ongoing/

Noah Hawley may be busy working on the final season of his mind-bending series Legion and his upcoming directorial debut Lucy in the Sky, but the filmmaker always has time to talk Doctor Doom. Hawley’s long-gestating project about the Marvel antihero seemed like it was — well — doomed following Disney’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox and its superhero characters. But Hawley is here to assure us that Doctor Doom is not dead yet, and that talks have restarted, this time with Marvel Studios.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Hawley confirmed that he had recently sat down with Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige presumably to discuss Doctor Doom, during which time Hawley pitched going even wilder and more experimental than the Marvel Cinematic Universe had gone before:

I did sit down with [Marvel Studios’ president] Kevin Feige recently and I said that I look at myself as sort of the Marvel R&D department. I know the genre can do all of these amazing things that [the Marvel Cinematic Universe] is doing, but my feeling is, what else can we do with it? Can we make it surreal? Can we make it musical? Not as a gimmick, but all of these techniques are about putting you into the subjective experience of these characters.”

Hawley is probably not making these suggestions specifically for a Doctor Doom movie (though seeing Victor von Doom break into song would be entertaining as hell), but looking for ways to push the envelope in the superhero genre as he’s done with FX’s Legion. Hawley has described his Doctor Doom as more of a geopolitical thriller, focusing on the character’s pressures as the king of the fictional Eastern European country.

Hawley has been trying to get Doctor Doom off the ground for the past two years, but the impending Disney-Fox deal had presented a daunting roadblock for the film. A script is reportedly already written, but Disney and Marvel aren’t in a rush to reintroduce Fox’s Marvel characters into the MCU just yet, though with the future of Phase 4 still a blank slate, there may be hope for Doctor Doom yet. Although Hawley has his hands full with Legion, Fargo, and Lucy in the Sky, he clearly is passionate about bringing Doctor Doom to the big screen, adding to THR:

I wrote a script about Doctor Doom, an antihero story I really like, and we’re still talking about making it. I’m trying to get out from under this movie I made and this last season of Legion, and Fargo is coming back up… but for better or worse, these are the stories we want to hear right now. I think you can bury your head in the sand and say, ‘That’s unfortunate for our culture because they’re simplistic.’ Some people say that. I don’t look at it that way. I think they are morality tales on a larger scale, and it’s better to be part of the conversation than pretend the conversation isn’t happening.”

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would be down with this.

Credit.Boss Logic

ECG8eeMVAAAXYWi.jpg:large

Thats a fairly awesome image.......

here's a clickbait site, but it popped up in my search...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2481695/noah-hawley-has-had-conversation-with-kevin-feige-about-the-doctor-doom-movie

Two years ago, Noah Hawley, who developed the X-Men adjacent series Legion for Fox television revealed that he was working on a movie about perennial Fantastic Four villain Doctor Doom for the studio's film division. However, the project never really went anywhere. Following the purchase of the studio by Disney, it looked like the project would likely never happen.

However, the most recent news on a Doctor Doom film, while far from being a confirmation that it's going to happen, is at least a glimmer of hope for fans. It turns out that Noah Hawley has met with Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios, and the two discussed the project. According to Hawley...

Yeah, I mean, it combined genres. And it’s sort of a Cold War parallel film. And I really like it. I’ve been too busy to really lean on them, and they certainly haven’t called me on the phone. And during my sit down with Kevin Feige, when he asked about the Doctor Doom movie, he said, ‘Are you still working on it?’ And I said, ‘Should I still be working on it?’

Doctor Doom was a character that came along with the Fantastic Four when Fox acquired the film rights to those characters. The last attempt at a film that used any of them was in 2015, and the movie was not a success. There was no indication that anything was being done with the characters until Noah Hawley revealed he was working on a Doctor Doom movie.

Between his successful series Legion and his recently released film Lucy in the Sky, Noah Hawley had certainly been busy with other things so the Doctor Doom movie was put on the back burner. Then the Disney/Fox deal went down and it seemed likely that the Doctor Doom movie wouldn't be happening at all. Surely, Marvel Studios would want to work on its own plan for Doom and the Fantastic Four.

This is exactly what Noah Hawley himself figured, but he tells Uproxx that when he suggested that to Kevin Feige during their meeting, he got a somewhat vague, yet suggestive response.

I said, ‘I assume you guys have a plan in a drawer somewhere for the Fantastic Four.’ And he smiled a little bit, but would neither confirm nor deny. But yeah, I think it would be a great comic book movie certainly.

Certainly Marvel Studios is working on plans for the Fantastic Four, but where those plans are, we certainly don't know. It seems unlikely Marvel ever started working on anything until they knew the deal was a sure thing. There's no reason that Noah Hawley's plan for a Doctor Doom, or some version of it, couldn't be incorporated into whatever Marvel decides to do.

Certainly, if Kevin Feige told Hawley to keep working on the movie, it's probably not something the writer is allowed to tell us. We'll have to keep in the dark on that one. We'll just have to wait and see it appears. It does look like the Doctor Doom movie is still, at the very least, a possibility, and Hawley is still excited to make it if Marvel gives him the green light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time I see this thread has been bumped, I get a little surprised at how a longstanding Boards.ie member got his own movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't see Feige being open to anyone's vision other than his own for Doom. It's pretty critical they get the character right so you can pretty much guarantee it will be a safe, crowd and fan pleasing, portrayal.

And there's absolutely nothing bloody wrong with that. Doom is crying out for for a straightforward approach.

Doom could be utterly phenomenal for the MCU. We've discussed it here before, imagine him showing up randomly in a film, and having no idea if he'll help or hinder the protagonists, always with his own inscrutable interests behind his actions.

I read some supposed leak which suggests they want to give the character a Disney + show before he's introduced into the MCU.

I read some supposed leak which suggests they want to give the character a Disney + show before he's introduced into the MCU.

His Iron Man run (Tony is dead and he's in one of his more philanthropic moods so he wears a kinda hybrid Iron Doom armour much to the annoyance of pretty much everyone) might work for that with some adjustments.

Some of the click bait sites are suggesting Doom could be the villain in the second Black Panther movie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is he gonna kill BP or is this a demotion?

Slydice wrote: »
    Is he gonna kill BP or is this a demotion?

Why would it be a demotion? BP is one of the few characters Doom might consider even approaching an equal in the MCU. He's a brave king of a technologically advanced nation who looks after his people. That's how Doom likes to think of himself.

That also means he's someone Doom would want to destroy. Plus all that vibranium would make for snazzy armour. Also lest we forget Doom grew up as part of a hated minority, so perhaps he would feel for Killmonger's position.

Remember Doom is Marvel's omnivillain. Depending on his mood he can be a persistent overwhelming threat or ally (Iron Man Doom is an amazing run by Bendis) to virtually anyone or anything in Marvel. He's not just a FF villain, not for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Doom could be utterly phenomenal for the MCU. We've discussed it here before, imagine him showing up randomly in a film, and having no idea if he'll help or hinder the protagonists, always with his own inscrutable interests behind his actions.

For some strange reason I feel like you may be slightly biased.. but I agree, it would be awesome, he has alternated between classic villain shenanigans and helping the heroes for his own reasons.. and many times eventually betraying them, it's what makes Doom so much fun.

It would be a smart play to introduce Doom separate from the FF if the plan is to have him as the major villain of multiple phases. No better way to put a full stop on the Fox iterations.

jim o doom wrote: »
    For some strange reason I feel like you may be slightly biased.. but I agree, it would be awesome, he has alternated between classic villain shenanigans and helping the heroes for his own reasons.. and many times eventually betraying them, it's what makes Doom so much fun.

I don't know what you mean. Nice name by the way!

Yeah the most fun thing about Doom is his unpredictability. Like the following is an accurate representation of a couple of arcs from him:

I HATE RICHARDS I WILL DO EVERYTHING TO RUIN HIS LIFE AND SHAKE HIS BELIEF IN HIMSELF INCLUDING WEARING A MAGIC SUIT OF ARMOUR MADE OUT OF AN EX GIRLFRIEND BUT ok I will help deliver his baby and swear never to harm her and in fact I'm basically her uncle Victor but HA I HAD TO DELIVER YOUR BABY DICKHEAD NOW YOU HAVE TO OWN THAT but also I will defend the entire FF to the death from Celestials so they know I did and have to own that but also because I vowed to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Why would it be a demotion?

I guess I leaned more in this direction than the other..
    he can be a persistent overwhelming threat

Like I had the impression of Doom being beyond Cap/BP

Slydice wrote: »

Like I had the impression of Doom being beyond Cap/BP

Doom would certainly consider himself beyond them. However, one of the funniest comics I've ever read involves Cap being tasked as Doom's official security detail (much to his annoyance) to get him through an airport in New York, while Peter Parker is waiting to welcome MJ off a plane in the same terminal.

The entire point to Doom in the modern day is he is a political threat(monarch of his own country, diplomatic immunity), a physical one (as strong as Iron Man), a mystical one (potential chosen one), scientific threat (as smart as Reed Richards- almost), and even a street level one (many a hero has beaten Doom randomly up to something only to find it's a Doombot).He can be slotted in anywhere, sometimes as an ally of the protagonist even. If anything he's used too often, leading to jokes like Squirrel Girl always having his number!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Ridley

Before the Fox buyout I thought it would have been fun to build Doom in the background of a rebooted FF trilogy.

So the first film is an offhand mention by Richards of some guy at university who was on the cusp of cracking time travel before it backfired. Then a TV screen somewhere says "Fortunov family deposed in Latverian coup" in the second. Final film is reveal of Doom messing with history but FF are immune due to cosmic rays or some such. The idea being that Doom was planning to save his mother in the past (not from hell) before he got distracted by blaming Richards for X, Y and Z.

A mystery Doctor Doom project is seemingly in the works at Marvel, and Howard Stern appears to be involved. The Fantastic Four's iconic villain Victor von Doom has been at the forefront of Marvel fans' minds since Disney acquired 20th Century. This gave Marvel Studios the ability to begin using characters Fox previously had access to, such as Doctor Doom - who appeared in three live-action Fantastic Four movies between 2005 and 2015. The studio also had plans to give the Marvel villain a solo movie, but Noah Hawley's Doctor Doom film was essentially canceled after it moved to Disney.

With Marvel Studios confirming that a new Fantastic Four movie is in development, it should only be a matter of time before Doctor Doom joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There has been great speculation he could debut before then, such as in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, to set him up as a threat that looms over the entire MCU. Many have also wondered if Doctor Doom could star in his own movie or Disney+ series to fully flesh out the iconic foe. So far, Marvel has not revealed any information about their plans for Victor von Doom, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement