Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Venom (Sony Universe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ugh link may not work. On my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sony has ensnared a star and director for its Spider-Man offshoot, Venom.

Tom Hardy, who was nominated for an Oscar for his work in The Revenant, is in final negotiations to star in Venom, while Ruben Fleischer, best known for directing Zombieland, is final negotiations to helm the movie project centering on one of Spider-Man’s signature villains.

The project is one of Sony’s top priorities and the studio is not wasting time as the movie is set to open Oct. 5, 2018.

Venom is to usher in a host of movies from Sony's Marvel and Spider-Man-based universe of characters. Sony is rebooting its Marvel-based slate with this summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Venom is a key title in its slate. The studio is also developing a Silver Sable/Black Cat project among other characters from the Spider-Man stable.

Venom has been one of Marvel’s top villains and a Spider-Man fixture since he was introduced in 1988, created by writer David Michelinie and artists Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck. The character is an alien symbiote that needs a human host to survive. In return, the alien vests its victim with incredible powers. He made his first big-screen appearance in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 and was portrayed by Topher Grace.

Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner, the latter of whom worked on 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, wrote the script for Venom. Plot details are being kept in the black but Hardy, who is said to be a Venom fan, will play Eddie Brock, the character who first became Venom.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing, along with Amy Pascal.

Fleischer made a name for himself balancing comedy with action and horror elements and recently helmed episodes of the Drew Barrymore cannibal show Santa Clarita Diet and NBC’s Superstore. He is also a producer on Brie Larson’s directorial debut, Unicorn Store.

The brooding Hardy has racked up acclaim for productions such as Locke and Legend and also starred in Mad Max: Fury Road. The actor has eschewed, for the most part, popcorn movies but did star as Batman villain Bane in 2012’s Dark Knight Rises.

With Venom, the actor now switches from the DC side of comic book movie dimension to the Marvel zone.

Hardy is repped by CAA, Sloane Offer and UK’s United Agents. Fleischer is repped by CAA, Management 360, and Sloane Offer.

After the news broke, Sony shared a photo of Hardy getting in the Venom spirit:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/venom-movie-2018-tom-hardy-star-ruben-fleischer-direct-1004115

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in #Venom, the upcoming film from Sony’s Marvel Universe releasing October 5, 2018 – production starts this fall.

DANVE32U0AAJaX4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Not technically MCU (but could be if Sony were inclined) Tom Hardy has been cast as Venom in their solo venture. Not sure how I feel about Sony's insistence of developing this free of any commitments to the MCU Spidey, but Tom has to be almost fan casting for Eddie. Great shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Was hoping FOX would nab Tom Hardy for Wolverine.

• Advertisement

I think he was a hot property for all studios. Warner/DC still wanted him even after he had to drop out from SS. The link with Wolverine seemed genuine.

But Fox have decided to push on with the young actress in Logan as their new clawed hero while right now, I'm not sure there's still many plum roles that WB/DC could offer him. I mean Rick Flagg was a pretty sh1t role to offer him, but that's why they went after someone like Hardy who would have elevated it.

Sony have astutely taken advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

A Sony film.

Hope the story is good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Avi Arad and Amy Pascal
    Slydice wrote: »
    A Sony film.

Hope the story is good.

Indications are not good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Not technically MCU (but could be if Sony were inclined) Tom Hardy has been cast as Venom in their solo venture. Not sure how I feel about Sony's insistence of developing this free of any commitments to the MCU Spiney, but Tom has to be almost fan casting for Eddie. Great shout.

Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) directing

Any I know if Sony can use Spidey still any version of him even if he is in the MCU?

Do Sony have the rights to say Miles Morales and they will use him in these movies.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty certain they can use Miles Morales (think they might have come pretty close to going down that route as well before).

There was once a possibility that Warner were going to have two different iterations of Batman at the same time (Bale and Armie Hammer), so I don't see why Sony couldn't do the same.

Having said that however I think they're determined to establish Venom free of any responsibility to the comics, so I don't think we'll have two Spider-mans at once.

Not sure we'll get Miles Morales anytime soon. I read somewhere that part of the Sony/Marvel deal was that Sony stipulated that he be a straight, white male. If they went so far as to insist on that, I think it kinda speaks to their intentions.

Any I know if Sony can use Spidey still any version of him even if he is in the MCU?

Do Sony have the rights to say Miles Morales and they will use him in these movies.

It's widely believed that Sony have the rights to pretty much do anything they like even while the MCU films were happening.

It's also thought they have the rights to Morales.

Bear in mind no one has ever actually seen the contracts between Marvel and Sony/ Fox/ Paramount so there's a certain amount of scuttlebutt/ rumour involved at every turn.

It's widely believed that Sony have the rights to pretty much do anything they like even while the MCU films were happening.

It's also thought they have the rights to Morales.

Bear in mind no one has ever actually seen the contracts between Marvel and Sony/ Fox/ Paramount so there's a certain amount of scuttlebutt/ rumour involved at every turn.

The understood logic (which seems to be accurate enough) is that any character that first appeared in a Spidey book belongs to Sony by default, any character that first appeared in X-Men or FF belongs to Fox by default etc. except where specific character deals have been made.

So Sony should have Miles Morales, Black Cat, Silk, Spider-Woman etc.

Not sure we'll get Miles Morales anytime soon. I read somewhere that part of the Sony/Marvel deal was that Sony stipulated that he be a straight, white male. If they went so far as to insist on that, I think it kinda speaks to their intentions.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

And people say WB are bad.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

And people say WB are bad.

From the scuttle butt I've heard Sony NEED Spider-man to hit. ASM2 and Ghostbusters failing have left a huge gap where there summer tent post should be.

Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling) that'd indicate they wanted the new Spider-Man to be super safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

From the scuttle butt I've heard Sony NEED Spider-man to hit. ASM2 and Ghostbusters failing have left a huge gap where there summer tent post should be.

Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling) that'd indicate they wanted the new Spider-Man to be super safe.

Are they getting a cut of the box-office so? What's it to them if Marvel do a great job with Homecoming? Are we in some sort of catch-22 situation where if Homecoming is a hit, Sony will ride that wave (and likely crash it), but if it gets a lukewarm reception, they... plough on anyway to hold on to rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling)

As subtle as the 'b' in 'subtle' 'brick'.

As far as I've read, it seems Sony want to set up their own 'Spider-Verse' of films but likely separate from the MCU, including the MCU version of Spider-Man (because they can't cross their own films over with the MCU films). So they're likely going to do a bunch of films (Venom, Black Cat/Silver Sable, maybe try Sinister Six again) possibly with references to Spider-Man but without directly including him.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Are they getting a cut of the box-office so? What's it to them if Marvel do a great job with Homecoming? Are we in some sort of catch-22 situation where if Homecoming is a hit, Sony will ride that wave (and likely crash it), but if it gets a lukewarm reception, they... plough on anyway to hold on to rights?

More or less.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Weird-Specifics-Marvel-Sony-Secret-Spider-Man-Deal-69718.html

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-2-mcu-marvel-sony/

Immediate financial interests in Sony's favour while they can pull the plug at a certain point. Marvel Studios benefit comes out of the non solo ventures.

Bacchus wrote: »

Again I am not a movie person and this is based on scuttlebutt I've read, but the thinking is that if Spider-Man hits big with homecoming Sony will be in a very strong position for negotiating either a return to Marvel for billions or they'll keep a hand on the franchise and make tonnes after Marvel's done the hard work.

If it doesn't work..? Well, Sony don't really lose anything, as as long as a new Spider-Man film is made it's thought their license extends for 5 years. They get ANOTHER shot at the franchise.

I believe the box office for Homecoming and it's sequel is shared. Again, rumoured :)
    Penn wrote: »
    As subtle as the 'b' in 'subtle' 'brick'.

As far as I've read, it seems Sony want to set up their own 'Spider-Verse' of films but likely separate from the MCU, including the MCU version of Spider-Man (because they can't cross their own films over with the MCU films). So they're likely going to do a bunch of films (Venom, Black Cat/Silver Sable, maybe try Sinister Six again) possibly with references to Spider-Man but without directly including him.

I like to think I'm quite the lefty liberal type and I certainly don't like my films pasty and penis only. Even I think Pascal is a bit of a pain in the arse :D

• Advertisement

Guardian blog that while disagreeable at times (I was not a fan of Taboo), it gets the crux of things: Tom Hardy will at least elevate this risky venture through pure talent.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/may/22/tom-hardy-venom-eddie-brock-sony-superhero-universe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Eddie should be remembered as Topher Grace and forgotten. If Hardy was playing Flash Thompson I'd be far more excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think Eddie should be remembered as Topher Grace and forgotten. If Hardy was playing Flash Thompson I'd be far more excited.

I won´t hear anything against big Joe Mang...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pjohnson wrote: »

Yeah the only way I can see the film going story-wise is if they do the Flash Thompson version. Makes more sense considering it's a solo movie most likely without Spider-Man at all.

Army no legs special ops Venom would be a great turn indeed!

Credit to MilesMorales1 who posted this in the Film forum the will take place in the Spiderman Homecoming Universe aka the MCU.

https://twitter.com/comicfade/status/876443828370255874

Having Tom Hardy at their disposal in the MCU was too good to pass up, though it raises questions about Eddie Brock's origin now as Venom.

I dunno, feels like marketing double-speak to me. I don't think we'll see Venom in the MCU.

I dunno, feels like marketing double-speak to me. I don't think we'll see Venom in the MCU.

The good thing is that MCU have the right to not use him I think. They can say he's part of it, doesn't mean they have to use him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He wont appear with Stark or Steve but he will appear with Peter.

Advertisement