Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

• 31-08-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I got Tesco mobile to save money and because they were introducing a 3g service, i have saved a fortune on international calls. I would say i save about 120 euro a month.

However since I upgraded from the 2 G to the 3 G and i have had nothing but problems.

My tesco mobile drops out fo coverage to Limited service almost every day. I will have to seriously re consider using them.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I have re set the sim card to -when ever abroad- national - and then back to automatic but still hasn't solved the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

pirelli wrote: »
    I got Tesco mobile to save money and because they were introducing a 3g service, i have saved a fortune on international calls. I would say i save about 120 euro a month.

However since I upgraded from the 2 G to the 3 G and i have had nothing but problems.

My tesco mobile drops out fo coverage to Limited service almost every day. I will have to seriously re consider using them.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

I have re set the sim card to -when ever abroad- national - and then back to automatic but still hasn't solved the problem.

I've been able to use 3G on a un branded sony phone with tesco mobile for over a year now and have no problems..
    since tesco use o2 to proivde service it seems you could be a good bit away from a o2 cell .does it drop out everywhere you go or just your current location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

jay93 wrote: »
    I've been able to use 3G on a un branded sony phone with tesco mobile for over a year now and have no problems..
    since tesco use o2 to proivde service it seems you could be a good bit away from a o2 cell .does it drop out everywhere you go or just your current location?

Jay The 3g was only introduced last month.

Problems Everywhere even city centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

its never worked for me. i have an unlocked o2 desire that has a tesco sim in it.
    it has never worked on 3g. jay can you post up the 3g settings that you are using, there is a few of us that are having the same problem.

tesco offer no support for 3g on non tesco mobiles.:(

emo72 wrote: »
    its never worked for me. i have an unlocked o2 desire that has a tesco sim in it.
    it has never worked on 3g. jay can you post up the 3g settings that you are using, there is a few of us that are having the same problem.

tesco offer no support for 3g on non tesco mobiles.:(

Thanks EMO, There are lots of people having problems with Tesco 3g. I have installed the software i requested from them and the internet works but the 3g tele connection drops to limited most of the day.

Thanks EMO, There are lots of people having problems with Tesco 3g. I have installed the software i requested from them and the internet works but the 3g tele connection drops to limited most of the day.

at least your getting a signal mate. i only have wifi:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

these are the settings that tesco gave me. THEY DO NOT WORK. let me know what settings you have if it works for you.

here is my settings for htc desire

NAME tesco

APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

PROXY 10.1.11.19

PORT 8080

USERNAME not set

PASSWORD not set

SERVER not set

MMSC http://mmc1/servelets/mms

MMS PROXY not set

MMS PORT not set

MMS PROTOCALL wap2.0

MMC 272

MNC 11

AUTHENTICATION TYPE none

APN TYPE not set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

What kind of speed do you get on tesco 3G?

Jay The 3g was only introduced last month.

Problems Everywhere even city centre,

The 3G sims were introduced last month the 3G service has always been there as thy use o2 ive always had a 3G icon at the top of my mobile screen since i used tesco last year !!where you not able to use 3G before now??
    odd that its not working all over the city centre :confused::confused:
    have you rang them yet

What kind of speed do you get on tesco 3G?

Speeds will vary alot tesco are a virtual network on the o2 network so the speeds you will get will depend on how overloaded the o2 cell is your connected to its generally ok but its not the quickest 3G ive used as o2 and tesco customers will be connecting at the same time this can put some strain on local cells and you may not even get connected at all!!

these are the settings that tesco gave me. THEY DO NOT WORK. let me know what settings you have if it works for you.

here is my settings for htc desire

NAME tesco

APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

PROXY 10.1.11.19

PORT 8080

USERNAME not set

PASSWORD not set

SERVER not set

MMSC http://mmc1/servelets/mms

MMS PROXY not set

MMS PORT not set

MMS PROTOCALL wap2.0

MMC 272

MNC 11

AUTHENTICATION TYPE none

APN TYPE not set

All your settings are fine except one the APN
    APN is http://tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    you have to put http:// before the APN for it to work its odd but this is how ive got mine to work let us know if it works one or two phones ive tried wont let me add http:// in front of it but my current one does im sure your phone should let you

• Advertisement

All your settings are fine except one the APN
    APN is http://tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    you have to put http:// before the APN for it to work its odd but this is how ive got mine to work let us know if it works one or two phones ive tried wont let me add http:// in front of it but my current one does im sure your phone should let you

thanks jay. tried that but still not working.

is your phone a tesco branded one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

How interesting ...

Tesco have changed the text on their Mobile Internet page to take out the warning about not having a high speed internet service

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MobileInternet.aspx

This text is now gone ...
    Note: Our Mobile Internet service is provided through the WAP/GPRS network service and is not a high speed broadband service.

... although they do still say GPRS elsewhere

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx
    Unlimited browsing for 24 hours, up to 50MB. Includes WAP and GPRS mobile internet browsing, and web based WAP/HTTP/HTTPS compatible email. Chargeable content is paid for outside the bundle but download time included.

Can someone do a speedtest to confirm they're getting a decent speed now please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

I was about to transfer over to them but notice their new 3G sim appears not to be picking up 3G. At least not in my area which is near the capitol. It says its available but card will not register. I emailed customer care and was directed to a mobile 089 number to ring for help setting it up. I really am thinking they maybe not worth the hassle.

WIZWEB wrote: »
    I was about to transfer over to them but notice their new 3G sim appears not to be picking up 3G. At least not in my area which is near the capitol. It says its available but card will not register. I emailed customer care and was directed to a mobile 089 number to ring for help setting it up. I really am thinking they maybe not worth the hassle.

I have just changed my 3g sim card for a new one and so far so good. As soon as it starts to cause problems i might switch to 3G. I have to admit Tesco is very cheap. They charge only 2c international and that's worth its weight in gold for me.

However with the double top up you are only spending 10 c per minute on on mobile to mobile calls and landline calls. It is actually 20 c but you get double what you buy.

I was disgusted with Vodaphone... They made a mistake on my account and after i rectified it they listed me on a secret list. They never told me and I guillibly was paying them top dollar for the privilege of a sneaky kick up the arse. So even the smallest discrepency and they list you as a financial risk. I had 150 euro deposit so my bills were paid in advance?

All the time I was paying them over 100 euro a month and vodaphone had me marked me down lower than a stranger coming in off the street. I only discovered when i went to get an additonal service.

Now I only pay about 30 euro a month maximum with Tesco. I have to wait and see with Tesco... So far i can get google etc but i cannot get google MAPS.

I will try Emo97 settings, By the way emo97 if you ring them they will text them to your phone and all you have to do is open your text and it will say install instead of reply. It installs in a few seconds.

Hi pirelli. What settings will they send to
    me? I have no 3g signal

Hi pirelli. What settings will they send to
    me? I have no 3g signal

they will send a special text that you simply install by pressing install in the message. It allows you to get teh interent and presumably everything else.

My 3g hasn't worked on my new sim card so I am going to Another service for a while until they sort it all out.

thanks jay. tried that but still not working.

is your phone a tesco branded one?

Ah too bad it doesnt work:(
    nope its not tesco branded its not branded to any network is your mobile branded to a certain network ?

WIZWEB wrote: »

I got this reply but have not tried it yet if anyone wants too....

Thank you for contacting Tesco Mobile.
    Please enter the main menu on your handset and select "Tesco Mobile" followed by "When Abroad". Then select "Network Selection" followed by "Manual". Then select "National" and your handset should connect to the Network after a few moments. Please find general manual internet settings listed below.
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Connections and then click on the 'Connections' icon
    2. Click the 'Advanced' tab at the bottom of the screen and then the 'Select Networks' button.
    3. Click the 'New' button immediately below 'My ISP' (don't try to edit an existing entry)
    4. Enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the settings and then click on the 'Modem' tab.
    5. Tap the 'New' button and enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the connection and 'Cellular Line (GPRS)' as the modem.
    6. Tap on the 'Next' button and set up the access point name as 'tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com'.
    7. Tap on the 'Next' button, leave the username, password and domain fields blank and click the 'Advanced' tab.
    8. Ensure both the 'TCP/IP' and 'Servers' tabs are set to 'Use server assigned IP address' and then click on 'Ok'
    9. Tap the 'Finish' button and a TMI GPRS connection should be visible.
    10. Click the 'Proxy Settings' tab and ensure the 'This network connects to the internet' and 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet' boxes are both ticked.
    11. Click the 'Advanced' button and in the WAP field enter the Server address as: 10.1.11.19 and the Port as: 8080.
    12. Tap 'Ok' then 'Ok' again and the TMI GPRS connection should be shown in the field at the top of the screen.
    13. Tap 'Ok' once more then select the 'Tasks' tab at the bottom of the screen. The TMI GPRS connection should be shown.
    14. Tap on 'Ok' and your GPRS connection is now set up.
    If you require any further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care team by replying to this email, calling 1749 from a Tesco handset or 089 4200000 from any other phone.

This is a nightmare. Have tried them settings. No luck. Rang Tesco Mobile. Staff member tried to tell me 3G only available when roaming. He needs to read this or perhaps he was just being honest...

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MobileInternet.aspx

Rang again and got a different CSR. Call quality on both crap even though have an excellent O2 signal here (their carrier).

I told him that others on here were having similar issues and he insisted boards.ie was for moaners! Current rant accepted I read him the riot act on how its great for sharing knowledge, bargains etc and requested to speak to a supervisor tommorow regarding their lack of service. He tried to say it was my phone because it isn't a Tesco Mobile. I pointed out its brand new and better than the crap they sell so should wasily hook up to their 'service'. I've wasted money on an internet bundle too thats never going to happen but thankfully I wasn't silly enough to port my number over to them. As soon as the €20 of wasted credit is gone on calls I'll never use them again. Useless!

Well still not perfect, but appears to work the majority of the time. I am going to switvh to 3g mobile just to confirm that it is a tesco movile problem and not ta handset issue.

• Advertisement

Hi pirelli, what handset ate you using ? I rang them and they never mentioned a text. I have a HTC desire. Post up your.settings and let us have a look at them. Thanks.

Hi pirelli, what handset ate you using ? I rang them and they never mentioned a text. I have a HTC desire. Post up your.settings and let us have a look at them. Thanks.

I will try get that done. Busy at moment, tesco Mobile now working flawlessly... and will return back to tesco mobile after i switch but it is looking like they were responsible for this hassle.

I have got a scabby 6 euro off them so far. I am going to ask for 35 euro to cover them being such a hassle. They have a history of my calls.

I have the samsung pixon m880 model

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

I switched to TESCO 3G sim yesterday on my E71 but noticed 3G signal ON/OFF-am in Drimnagh area.I have tried all the suggested settings above but no luck.I think I just wait until their TechPeople will resolve the issue...I'm on STAND-BY mode :-)

I've had enough of their poor service, poor customer service and total lack of 3G or internet availability on my phone. I'm switching back to Meteor

they are very poor. i have no 3g service whatsoever on desire. its a problem with the settings i think. rang them up a couple of times but they were no help. they only offer support on tesco bought 3g phones. i think some one on here said that one of their
    customer support guys said that boards.ie were full of "moaners". classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Do they not have an unproxied APN yet? You get 350 MB per week on the bundle but only port 8080. Anyone has any news about this?

Still on port 8080 as far as I'm aware though has never worked on three different makes of phones I've tried with two of their sim cards. Oh and of course I've already paid for a bundle! Oh and yes it was I they told that boardsers are a bunch of moaners! I've a few quids credit left and them I'm gone back to Meteor. Funnily enough I missed a call from Tesco International this morning. I've no idea why and could care less ;)

I dont get it how so many people are having problems with 3G on tesco as it is in fact O2'S 3G service that they are using:confused::confused::confused:
    i have not got one problem at all with tesco using 3G just bought 350mb add on for 3euro 2days ago and have used it all round my area and it never drops once just when in certain areas in my house where only has EDGE signal but other than that its rock solid..also they dont offer data add ons without the proxy added to it wich is a bummer cant even use the service on my laptop for browsing while with other networks it will work no problem

I dont get it how so many people are having problems with 3G on tesco as it is in fact O2'S 3G service that they are using:confused::confused::confused:
    i have not got one problem at all with tesco using 3G just bought 350mb add on for 3euro 2days ago and have used it all round my area and it never drops once just when in certain areas in my house where only has EDGE signal but other than that its rock solid..also they dont offer data add ons without the proxy added to it wich is a bummer cant even use the service on my laptop for browsing while with other networks it will work no problem

hi jay, is your phone a tesco branded mobile or did you just put a sim into another phone? my problem is i am using a htc desire phone and i cant get tescos settings to work in it. they offer no back up for me.

• Advertisement

i have two non tesco branded sony phones and it works grand in them also have a nokia that is tesco branded and it also works fine in that what settings do you currently have ?

Advertisement