Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Why don’t Argos sell these anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Soarer wrote: »
    Why don’t Argos sell these anymore?

Currys sells them

Jofspring wrote: »
    Currys sells them

Ah, I know yeah.

Argos UK sell them, so why not Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Argos UK sell them, so why not Ireland?
    As you know Amazon won't sell/deliver to any address in ROI so it's probably got something to do with TV rights or Prime video rights. I often wondered myself how Currys sell them here. Are they chancing their arm a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

muffler wrote: »
    As you know Amazon won't sell/deliver to any address in ROI so it's probably got something to do with TV rights or Prime video rights. I often wondered myself how Currys sell them here. Are they chancing their arm a bit?

I think Argos used to sell them here too but they seem to have stopped now and I'm pretty sure Amazon originally shipped them here too. I think there might have been rights issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I think Argos used to sell them here too but they seem to have stopped now and I'm pretty sure Amazon originally shipped them here too. I think there might have been rights issues.

Argos has them on sale in Ireland at Christmas for like €23

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Argos has them on sale in Ireland at Christmas for like €23

That was the older model. The new 4K version is much better. Better hardware, much faster.

_John C wrote: »
    That was the older model. The new 4K version is much better. Better hardware, much faster.

That's why I was asking.

It was the 4K one I got in Argos for €26 I think, and that's the one the father-in-law messed up. There's no point in bringing it back to Argos for the refund, as it would hardly buy half a replacement.

So Amazon shiping me a replacement for free was a pretty good resolution.
    They're also shiping it to my Irish address, so it saves the €4 on Parcel Motel too!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

I have addresspal as my location with amazon and I just tried to view a tv show on it and its saying my device's current location settings might be incorrect or unsupported if I signed up to parcelmotel and gave that address would that sort it ?
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

machu wrote: »
    I have addresspal as my location with amazon and I just tried to view a tv show on it and its saying my device's current location settings might be incorrect or unsupported if I signed up to parcelmotel and gave that address would that sort it ?
    Any help appreciated.

I've tried everything and could never get prime videos to play here,same error for me,can cast prime from phone no problem tho.

• Advertisement

Download prime video app through aptoide.

It was the 4K one I got in Argos for €26 I think,
    It dropped to £29.99 in December which is the lowest ever it was so unless you had a voucher you couldn't have got it for €26. Good to hear that you're getting sorted out though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

machu wrote: »
    Any help appreciated.

Get on to Customer support, and tell them you’re moving to the UK next week

chrisire wrote: »
    I've tried everything and could never get prime videos to play here,same error for me,can cast prime from phone no problem tho.
    There's quite a lengthy thread here on the same issue. It can be done handy enough. Search for threads with "Amazon Prime" and you'll get the details

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Milliehollie

Can anyone please direct me as to how i put rte player and virgin player on the firestick? It’s driving me mad and I have goggled it but still can’t figure it out. Maybe I need a dummies guide!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

Can anyone please direct me as to how i put rte player and virgin player on the firestick? It’s driving me mad and I have goggled it but still can’t figure it out. Maybe I need a dummies guide!!

if you have an android phone you can download one of the apps to fire type apps from the play store (there's a few different ones). you should be then able to send the RTE player app and virgin media player app over to your FS.
    never tried using the virgin media player on my FS but I have tried the RTE player and I've never been able to get it to work.
    now tv sticks are excellent for both of those players, worth buying just for that IMO, seen them in Tesco today for 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

I wouldn't bother,they are both a pain in the arse to use as they were made for a touch screen device,i had both on and the Virgin player was unusable,Rte could be used sort of but you need to sideload a mouse toggle app

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

The Virgin Media player isn't worth it in my opinion. I was able to get it to play but it would only take up the top 25% of the screen. Plus I had to install a mouse app which was also a pain.

To install the RTE player, which I find really handy, follow the steps in this post

Worked for me without need for a mouse app.

Got on to live chat.....

Good man yourself, Jeff.....seems like even Mr Bezos himself is giving a dig out in these tough times :pac:

Replacement product arrived this morning. They sent me a new firestick instead of a new remote. Now I've 2 sticks and no remotes.

Transcript from the Chat below. I'll just buy two replacement remotes, I suppose.
    The replacement item arrived today but it is the wrong item. I received a replacement firestick and not a replacement remote
    It is a voice remote for a 4k firestick that I require

Customer Service
    Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Ultra HD with Alexa Voice Remote | streaming media player ?

yes, that's it

Thank you for staying connected. I'll help you with the refund, To help make up for the inconvenience

Hi, I don't need a refund. I need a replacement voice remote

please reorder, as I'm unable to find a replacement for you

Replacement product arrived this morning. They sent me a new firestick instead of a new remote. Now I've 2 sticks and no remotes.

I'll swap you a remote for a stick.

Edit: Actually, ignore that. My replacement will probably be remote-less too!

• Advertisement

Promised I'd give it to the brother, unfortunately.

Theres a working version of the RTE player that works with the firestick on another thread here. It works great :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/111903183

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Rte works grand but you'd want to know what you're looking for on a phone first. VM player is pure crap except for live TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bootser

Anyone no if now tv can be installed on this? If so how? Trying to rationalise the number of devices and remotes!!
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

bootser wrote: »
    Anyone no if now tv can be installed on this? If so how? Trying to rationalise the number of devices and remotes!!
    TIA

it cant. neither can skygo. they have it blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bootser

kaerobe wrote:
    it cant. neither can skygo. they have it blocked

Yeah tried several sites which all sent me to the same website which downloaded an apk which when u try to install it says not compatible with my device! Was hoping someone here might have a work around!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

_John C wrote: »
    Theres a working version of the RTE player that works with the firestick on another thread here. It works great :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/111903183

This seems to have stopped working for me... anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

This seems to have stopped working for me... anyone else having problems?

same as that yet every time I reinstall it, it works perfectly again

saying all this i have two firesticks and on one it always works :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I came across filelinked for firestick, very easy to put on things like YouTubekids or mouse toggle and other things you can't get on Amazon store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

TheDriver wrote: »
    I came across filelinked for firestick, very easy to put on things like YouTubekids or mouse toggle and other things you can't get on Amazon store.

Just installed mouse toggle Cheers very handy app:) Thanks for mentiooning it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement