Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Count me in too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Why the fcuk this up in the Pale, aren’t you a redneck?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why the fcuk this up in the Pale, aren’t you a redneck?

TbL

Don’t worry, you’ll get a special 1on1 date!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Don’t worry, you’ll get a special 1on1 date!!!!

:)

ðŸ‘

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a run in the Phoenix Park the morning of the 25th of July?

Will join the party if around. Might be in Donegal around that time in which case I'll catch you up there maybe?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Will join the party if around. Might be in Donegal around that time in which case I'll catch you up there maybe?

Be in Donegal from 31st of July D if that suits you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Is this a nationwide greatest hits tour?

Is this a nationwide greatest hits tour?

More like a geriatric crawl around a few counties in Ireland J!!!

Strange 24 months we have had, it’s nearly 2 years to the day that I started training for a race that I was in the peak shape of my life. A simple half marathon plan from a book that brought me to a big PB.

Covid hasn’t been anyone’s friend, not mine but I genuinely don’t care, I’ve gained a new job and bought a new house in that period. I was 74kgs in October’19, I’m 90kgs+ now. I began this year with gusto, chomping at the bit to see what 2021 Barry could achieve.

Six months in, it’s been stop/start, few weeks of mediocre training then excuses kick in. Genuine cold, pain in my hole, calf issue(real & frustrating). Do I have the drive anymore to log, no. Is anyone interested in an ex-Pat running in The Hague, probably not.

Those that know me best, know I love A/R, after 10+ years my love has waned…..May those that follow here have there running dreams come true, but it isn’t worth it anymore for me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to read that you will no longer be logging B, but I trust you'll still be a presence around the forum? In the 3 or so years I've been hanging around here you've very much been the heartbeat of the place.

Either way, hopefully the calf injury clears up soon and you can get some momentum back. Outside of running, you seem to be in a good place professionally and personally, which is great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey Barry,

you put so much into Boards - probably single handedly saved it from totally sinking last year.
    Don't be a stranger on the forums.

See you for a few miles in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to see this. You're part of the fabric of this place..

Congrats on the other stuff. Sounds like a lot of big life changing stuff has gone on this year so it's wonder running has been stop/start, it's to be expected. Starting a new job and moving home are two of the most stressful life events, albeit they are changes for the better and are exciting, they still involve a lot of stress. Mind yourself Barry, don't be a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I reckon a break from here is probably needed for you, given the (often-thankless) effort you put in around here. We'll try our best to keep things going while you are away but please do come back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Of course we are interested in an ex pat running in The Hauge, I love reading your updates and the descriptions of the places you run. Hopefully the calf will sort itself out soon. Also totally agree with ariana. You've had a lot of change in the last 6 months. Even though I stopped logging (again) I still check out the place at least once a week, it's something that keeps us all connected.

You are definitely the glue that keeps this place together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its just a moan
    He'll be back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Due to Covid restrictions this run has had to be canceled!’

I’m running terms I can’t wait to see the back of 2021, to date I’ve ran the huge amount of 970 miles(not a typo). The past month all the family have tested positive for COVID-19 so that’s some excuse for that period. We bought our own house here in The Hague during the Summer but my good lady wife never said I couldn’t run when things were crazy with moving out and moving in(she never does) I just chose to be how I’ve been for 2021, downright lazy and full of excuses not to run.

My love for running hasn’t dwindled, I still avidly read about it and watch as much of it that is available to me on tv/online. It’s the doing it that has suffered, laziness being the only excuse and it’s only myself who can change that really. I could run for 3-4 days in a row then not do anything again for a week or so. It shows belly wise to, I’m not the heaviest I’ve ever been but my gut has never been so flabby!!

Races are again being canceled here due to the 20+ thousand daily cases of Covid here. I’m a race focused runner who needs a goal to achieve for my running to work, that probably needs to change along with the laziness factor. I last raced in November 2019, I don’t know when I’ll race again, but for me to race to my potential i need to train and be consistent once more. I’ll go out in the morning and see how that feels & hopefully build on it.

Roll on 2022…..

*no idea how to get rid of the snoozing dog so he’ll have to stay put!!!

Post edited by OOnegative on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think you are being very hard on yourself. Moving house is one of the most stressful life events and sometimes even when we are afforded the freedom to run by our other halves we simply don't have the energy (physical, mental, emotional) to do so. And then throw in Covid in your household 😱 And if i remember correctly it is the 2nd time Covid has hit your household during this pandemic? Well B let's be frank that's a lot to contend with on top of all the normal stuff of just keeping a household running and rearing 2 young kids in a time of upheaval and illness.

I hope you're fully recovered now? Draw a line in the sand, lower your expectations but lace up! You are one of the most passionate runners I know and it would be a shame to lose something that means so much to you.

Hopefully races will get going again in Spring time and we can all set some targets to motivate us.

Mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Good to see you posting here again B. Hopefully it becomes a regular occurence again.

Jaysus you've had a busy/tough time of it there. Main thing is you just try and fall into the habit of running again even if its just purely for headspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah, lots of other challenges there outside of running. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Would love if you started logging again, but understand the reasons why you stopped. Hope you know you're very much appreciated on here and on Strava even if it doesn't seem like it! Hope everyone is recovering well from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

such a man for excuses.

Hate when a perma-tanned Dub is correct……

So I started 2022 with much enthusiasm, running 5 of the first 7 days of the year filled with hope and thoughts for the year that lay ahead. I wasn’t running fast, more a gentle jog and doing nothing out of the ordinary mileage wise either. The pain returned to the right knee, just under the kneecap and wandering around to the left side of the knee.

It got that bad that for two weeks walking was very painful especially after sitting for any period. The knee would appear stiff and the pain was concentrated on the area described above. I haven’t ran a step since the 7th of January, the knee is fine now, with no pain to speak of. I had hoped to get an MRI done in the time off but work got in the way as did this whole COVID-19 thing, pain in your knee isn’t worth an appointment according to my GP.

Am at a loose end now really, I don’t know what to do. Try to slowly get back in it in the hope the knee pain doesn’t return or retire and become a bitterballen eating, beer swilling blow in Dutchman…….

Maybe the knee is in ‘out in sympathy’ with skyblue’s similar-sounding ailment.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Hopefully you can get it sorted B, I don't think being a bitterballen eating, beer swilling blow in Dutchman is really your style..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good Luck with the recovery .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

All the best with it B. I couldn't live on beer and bitterballen alone, but to each one's own 😀 I reckon there's a few more happy chapters to come in this log yet.

Soooooooo……..

I eventually got to see a doctor, reason being I held out so long is I wanted to see a particular doctor, one specializing in sports injuries. She gave the knee a comprehensive looking over this morning, and confirmed what I had been feeling myself but just refused to believe, the meniscus is damaged on the left side of my knee.

I asked her how damaged it was, her reply “it’s surgery damaged” going on my reactions to the pain when she tested the knee for movement & flexibility.

So I’ve an appointment in two weeks to see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI done.

Looking like my running year will be one of recovery and rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In one way its a balls but at least you know now and can get it sorted for good. Then start rebuilding.

Advertisement