Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicle of a race foretold

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Mon 11/11 -- Progression long run: 12 miles @ 8:19/mi avg

The plan was to increase pace progressively every mile in 15" steps all the way to around LT, however a fresh breeze and a couple of long drags made it difficult to control the progression and the pace jumped in larger increments. Got to ~7:30 and held that for several miles but seemed unable to go any lower so after 9 miles decided to head for home, disappointed that I hadn't even managed to get to my planned HMP for the Contarf Half. Suddenly I caught a bit of a second wind and noticed the pace increase a bit so I kept pushing and eeked out a couple more miles finally at low 7 minute pace, arguably helped by a net downhill stretch. A very slow final mile but got home in a completely different frame of mind after the two faster miles.

Splits: 9:26 8:57 8:28 9:27(8:29 moving avg) 8:05 7:37 7:32 7:42(brief stop) 7:32 7:13 7:02 10:48

Tue 12/11 -- 5.1 mile recovery @ 10:13/mi

Taking it very easy. On grass. Strong breeze making it hard in places.

Wed 13/11 -- Rest

Thu 14/11 -- Easy run: 3.6 miles @ 9:23 + 3.6 miles @ 9:12

Easy miles to and from volleyball training. Very cold out so was well wrapped up for this one. Found running with a large backpack a bit awkward.

Fri 15/11 -- No running. Cycle commute.

Sat 16/11 -- BHAA Irish Life XC (Santry)

Had been looking forward to the first race in the BHAA winter league and nearly didn't make it after getting caught up in a very congested East Link bridge due to some event at the 3Arena. Got to Morton Stadium eventually, rushed to collect my number, got ready and had just about time for a 10 minute trot to warm up and get a feel for the conditions: dry, cold, very soft and mucky underfoot, grass sections completely waterlogged ... proper XC conditions. A quick dash to the club house to grab a pair of thin socks and finally discarded several layers and changed into my spikes (12mm) as we were being called to the start. Attempted a couple of strides near the start line but the place was like a marsh. Bumped into a few familiar faces as we were lining up and exchanged good wishes with M and WubbleWubble. I had done this race two years ago. The goal this time was to run it quicker, which shouldn't be an issue, and not to get lapped!

Set off at a strong pace along the initial very soft section and down the hill towards the first sharp left hander then the testy section along the top of the course with several drags and another twisty section through the trees. By the time we emerged onto open ground I was a few meters behind a sizeable group but didn't quite have the determination to try and close the gap so I faced the 2nd lap a bit isolated. The pace had settled (the splits clearly tell the story of the exhuberant start) but at this point I was still feeling relatively comfortable and tried to keep pushing to stop the pace from dropping any further.

During the 3rd lap I could feel the pace slowing and surely enough a couple of lads caught up and went past me during the early part of the lap. I tried to hang onto them and kept them within striking distance, and as we finished the lap I could hear the announcer calling out the first finishers as they made their way to the line ... goal achieved! The last lap was a real scrap: trying to give chase, fight off a few coming up behind and dealing with lots of lapped runners that made it difficult to stay on the best racing line made for a nice battle. Very quickly we had reached the last left turn onto the finishing straight, where I picked it up to a 'fast' sprint on the very soft ground, managed to keep a strong challenger at bay but I don't think I picked up any places on that final stretch. A bit wobbly in the chute but recovered quickly-enough to enjoy some fruit and a cool-down lap with M.

Enjoyed the BBQ and a nice cup of tea in the clubhouse, nattering away with M while we were waiting for the presentations. She picked up an age group price and, as it turned out, I finished ahead of her; conclusive proof of how much she dislikes XC (as she was telling me) because I wouldn't get anywhere near her on the road. Still, I'll take my small win and hold onto the bragging rights for a short while. :)

In conclusion: a very enjoyable race in true XC conditions; pleased to be inside the top half of the field but must try and dig a bit deeper next time - there are league points at stake!

Chip time: 27:05
    Position: 92/216 (14th M45)
    Splits (per mile): 6:57 7:17 7:25 5:30[7:17 pace]
    Splits (per km): 4:10 4:28 4:35 4:35 4:38 4:31
    Avg pace: 3.75 miles @ 7:15/mi (4:30/km)
    Avg HR: 165 bpm

Sun 17/11 -- 5.2 miles easy @ 9:40/mi (Avg HR: 142 bpm)

Out first thing on a very cold morning for a few recovery miles. Tried the hill in Cabinteely park but the legs weren't happy at all (even on the gentler uphills) so just did loops of the bottom sections.

Weekly total: 35 miles

Mon 18/11 -- No running. Tougher than expected VB session in the evening.

Tue 19/11 -- Endurance run: 10.65 miles @ 8:36/mi (Avg HR: 147 bpm)

Legs still feeling the previous night's session but I decided to press ahead with today's planned run so after breakfast I headed for Kilbogget and Clonkeen parks. Milder day but with a fresh southerly breeze. The target pace was between 8 and 9 minutes per mile whilst keeping the effort under control. Felt good and really enjoyed the run but the stretches into the wind had me working perhaps a bit harder than intended. Fairly tired and legs fairly sore afterwards. Left knee showing some signs of discomfort so a bit worried I might have overdone it the last few days.

Splits: 9:09 8:34 8:41 8:23 8:24 8:18 8:29(w) 8:40(w) 8:16 8:29 9:34 (for 0.65mi)

Wed 20/11 -- No running. Cycle commute. VB session.

Thu 21/11 -- 1h easy: 6.2 miles @ 9:38/mi (Avg HR: 134 bpm)

Out late evening, dark and rainy so threw on a waterproof cycling jacket for added visibility. After standing in the rain for a few minutes stupidly waiting for the Garmin to sync up, I decided to forget about the watch, pace, HR and just run easy for an hour focusing on form and breathing instead. I was genuinely surprised to see the paces afterwards as I felt I'd gone very easy and would be around the 10' mile mark. Loved being out in the rain just tipping along the quiet wet roads.

Fri 22/11 -- Rest

Sat 23/11 -- 1h easy/med: 7 miles inc. Cabinteely parkrun and 6x30" strides

Intended to keep the parkrun easy but ended up running it at roughly 9' mile pace then headed home via Foxrock, throwing in half a dozen strides along the way. Should really do a few more strides on easy days.

Sun 24/11 -- 5.2 mile recovery @ 10:34/mi (Avg HR: 128 bpm)

Just a few very easy miles looping around the bottom section of the Park. Went out before dinner so it was already dark but still bright-enough to see where I was going. Very soft underfoot with some fairly mucky sections. Lovely stuff to end the week.

Have started mulling over running-related goals and plans for next year. Still undecided about following a similar pattern to this year (shorter stuff to start with, maybe even focus on 5k, then go longer after the summer) or trying something different. As usual, thoughts of dipping my toe in the scary world of the marathon enter my head in the aftermath of DCM but I'm still daunted by the commitment required. Just the other day my wife had a dream that I had entered the NY marathon and her reaction was why couldn't I just enter one closer to home ... maybe it's a sign. :)

Weekly total: 29.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Glad you enjoyed the Irish Life. From reading your report, I'd say you were ahead of me throughout - I finished just ahead of your friend. Best of luck with the Clontarf half.

Glad you enjoyed the Irish Life. From reading your report, I'd say you were ahead of me throughout - I finished just ahead of your friend. Best of luck with the Clontarf half.

Loved the course and the conditions. You weren't far behind in the end - another hundred metres and you would have been on top of me I reckon!

Mon 25/11 -- Workout: 7 miles inc. 2 miles @ HM race pace

Drizzly morning to tackle the last workout before Saturday's race: a session straight out of FRR's HM plan, although this time I cut out the strides as I'd done a few just two days ago. Heavy rain overnight meant plenty of puddles on the mile loop in Kilbogget Park, as well as a couple of short flooded sections, but splashing through them at speed was oddly satisfying. Two and a half speedy warm-up miles to get to the park and assess the conditions, then launched into the two race pace miles aiming for 7:15 pace but came in a bit hot: 7:03 and 7:07; the first feeling fairly comfortable, the second one a bit less so. Good confidence builder ahead of Saturday nevertheless. Another 2.5 miles to cool down and wrap up the session. Cycle commute afterwards.

Tue 26/11 -- Rest. Legs a bit stiff and sore; quads in particular.

Wed 27/11 -- 4.3 miles recovery @ 9:51/mi

Trotted over to Dalkey in the evening for a VB session. Legs feeling OK-ish during the run but quads still a little sore afterwards.

Thu 28/11 -- Rest. Leg soreness thankfully gone after a good night's sleep.

Fri 29/11 -- 3.2 miles recovery @ 9:49/mi

A very easy 30' on a nippy morning. The sun was just rising above the trees in the Park and a few wisps of mist were still clinging to the bottom of the stream - lovely stuff. Cycle commute afterwards.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. Conditions look decent and hopefully the breeze off the bay won't be too bad. The plan is to have a go at 1h35m: set off at 7:15-7:20 pace until at least half way then (exact point TBD) pick it up to hopefully low 7 minute miles and bring it home strong. It feels a bit on the ambitious side but not entirely foolish. We'll see how it pans out.

• Advertisement

I've disregarded the log of late so another bumper update to bring it almost up to date, starting with what turned out to be one of the highlights of 2019 ...

Sat 30/11 -- Clontarf Half Marathon

Pre Race

I really enjoyed the Dublin Half Marathon in September and felt there was a bit more to give, so when a few days later the running club at work offered a subsidised entry to another half marathon, I jumped at the chance. With another couple of months of endurance training under my belt, the prospect of a flat course and a reasonably decent weather forecast, I felt quietly confident I could take a chunk off my 1:38:03 PB so on Friday I nailed my colours to the mast and updated the log with the target: 1h35m.

Race Day

Woke up shortly after 4 AM with anticipation but stayed in bed trying to snooze and rest until it was time to get up and tuck into some race-day breakfast: a bowl of porridge, a banana, a cup of tea and a glass of water. Got the gear ready, bundled up and set off on a gentle 45' spin to Clontarf. Got there around 9 AM, collected my number fairly quickly and paid a visit to the loos before the queues built up. Conditions were as forecast: 5-6°C, a moderate Southeasterly breeze, cloudy but dry. It was too early to start warming up before the 10 AM start so just huddled with a few others under some trees near the start trying to stay warm. A couple of lads next to me were discussing the course and the sections where the wind would hit us most: going out on the wooden bridge and coming back on the causeway. Good to know.

Eventually got rid of the outer layers, changed into my racers, checked in my bag and -after a few dynamic stretches- set off on a short 1 mile warm up jog. Managed to cut it a bit too fine again and by the time I got back, discarded another couple of layers and risked a last-minute visit to the urinals, the race was about to start. Rushed to the starting line and made my way to a spot a few rows behind the 1h30m pacers, where I bumped into a work colleague. A quick handshake and good luck wishes exchanged as the starter was finishing the countdown and off we went. The plan for today: steady 7:15-7:20 pace for the early miles then at some point pick it up to low 7 minute miles.

Race

A little bit of congestion off the line on the narrow promenade but kept patient and very soon space started opening up. A few glances at the watch to check the pace and very soon the first mile beeped at 7:17.5 - bang in the middle of my target range. Still on the promenade, I found myself running alongside a chap in a white Decathlon cap (I have the exact same one so it caught my eye). We ran side by side for a short while but the pace started dropping towards 7:2x so I decided to push on. Half way through the second mile came the sharp right turn onto the Wooden Bridge and into a fair headwind, which I was expecting but still managed to get to that point a bit isolated. A few seconds ahead was a female runner in a tri suit tucked right behind a tall guy that was striding along comfortably and seemed to be pacing her. I had a decision to make: bridge the gap or face a mile-long stretch into the breeze on my own. Decided to go for it, picked up the pace and, although it took me a few hundred metres, I finally reeled them in wondering if I would pay for this spurt later. Second mile in 7:18 - so far so good.

Settled in behind them but I was still being hit by the headwind. Tried to position myself slightly to their right, then slightly to their left, but it just didn't seem to make any difference so I just gave up trying and kept going with them for the rest of the stretch on the Bull Wall. Shortly after we reached the hard sand on Dollymount beach the female runner went past the tall guy and started pulling ahead. Hmmm ... not a pacer then - just a very handy wind shield. I followed and, running almost side by side but half a stride behind her, we started making our way up the field on the long beach section.

The breeze had become a crosswind here but we were still running into it and having to work hard. Missed the third mile split (7:15) but from glancing at the watch every now and then I could tell we were right on target pace. At some point I edged slightly ahead of her and she immediately tucked in behind me; so suddenly I almost thought she had stopped but I look over my shoulder confirmed she was right behind. Must say I didn't mind at all and, in fact, this last section on the beach was one of the highlights of the race: taking a pull at the front into the wide open space, pushing hard to stay on pace was a fantastic feeling.

The first thing I noticed as we finally turned off the beach was how quiet it was; almost as if somebody had suddenly turned off the wind machine. Declined the offer of a bottle at the first water station and completed the fourth mile (7:13) as we turned onto the Causeway Road. Without any noticeable change in effort, and with a tailwind behind us, the pace shot up to below 7' miles and my immediate reaction was to slow it down a bit. At this point my female companion pulled up alongside me and I took the opportunity to ask if she was aiming for a particular time. I had to chuckle when she said her only goal was to get back home to Trim in time for the babysitter. She hit the front again, we continued making good progress down the causeway and the fifth mile beeped in 6:54 shortly after the right turn onto the promenade. Back into a slight crosswind for the very long stretch to the turnaround, the pace for the next mile dropped to 7:14 but I was still feeling good.

Three very smooth-looking leaders went past heading the other way, then a bit of a gap before a steady flow of small groups and solo runners ahead of the large crowd with the 90' pacer. Eventually we hit the turnaround point and immediately the pace jumped to well inside 7' miles (~6:4x or so). Grabbed a water bottle and struggled to swallow much of it but at least managed to rinse my mouth a bit. My companion took a gel, put her foot down and started pulling ahead. At this point I decided it was time to run my own race and not give chase but at least try to keep the effort going.

After the pace increase, the 7th mile beeped at 6:58. I was working hard, still feeling very much in control but thinking that a small boost might be beneficial, I tore open the small packet of Haribo I had with me and popped two or three into my mouth to let them dissolve slowly. Probably a phsychological boost more than anything else.

Enjoyed the counterflow section and getting the odd shout of encouragement from work colleagues heading the other way, and completed the 8th mile in 7' flat shortly before the sharp left hander back onto the causeway and again into a headwind. Here I found myself behind a Naas AC runner and decided to follow him, mainly to get some shelter from the wind and partly because he seemed to be running strongly. The wind made this section tough-going and as a result the next mile came in at 7:18.

Back onto the sand still tucked behind Naas AC. The field was well spreadh out here but slowly, with his quick choppy stride, he managed to reel in a couple of lone runners along this long stretch. Missed the 10 mile point but I could see the pace struggling as the effort started to bite and by my reckoning the 1h35 target was going to be touch and go. Feeling the pinch, I popped another couple of the emergency Haribo into my mouth hoping they'd have an effect, but it was really having metronomical Naas AC to hang onto that was absolutely crucial during this section and I just tried to focus on simply staying with him until the end of the beach. Just about managed it, and in the process completed the two sandy miles in 7:11 and 7:14.

Climbing the short steep bank was cruel on the legs but finally turning off the crosswind and back onto tarmac was a relief. Naas AC said the hard work was done and we were on for 1:34 if we could just keep the legs ticking over. As we were approaching the wooden bridge again, I caught a second wind (probably quite literally) and I started to pull ahead. With strength returning I said to myself 'let's go for it', poured the rest of my water on the back of the neck and on my legs, spat out the Haribo fragments I still had in my mouth and lifted the pace. Shap turn off the bridge, discarded the water bottle next to a bin and felt like I was flying it. Mile 12 beeped in 6:56 and I just kept pushing, chasing one or two runners ahead that had blown and were clearly going backwards. Kept waiting for the inevitable fade but the legs were still going strong when mile 13 beeped in 6:42 and stayed strong all the way, taking one more scalp just before punching the air and crossing the line just inside 1:33 on the clock. Job done!

Post Race

Waited to thank Naas AC for his pacing and his help dragging me along the tough section. Looked around for the female runner who had also been instrumental in my great race but she was probably on her way home already. Threw on some layers and met up for a short chat with a couple of people from work, then set off on a very ginger cool-down mile before wrapping up some more and tucking into a more than welcome bowl of soup. The ride home was a slow affair but gave me time to reflect on the race and make a couple of decisions I had been pondering: one, to sit out Jingle Bells and give the legs a break; two, to not enter the ballot for next year's DCM.

Delighted. A true runner's high. The chip time of 1:32:47 is a 5 minute PB and is of course a fantastic outcome but the real highlight was the overall experience and the feeling during the race, the sustained hard effort, the 'racing' ... difficult to put into words.

Further analysis shows a negative split and another strong finish, with the last 10 (whole) miles the fastest of the race and well inside 71', which is my lowest 10 mile time ever by far. Was there much left in the tank? Perhaps a small bit but I think it was a well-judged effort and not far from the tipping point.

Chip time: 1:32:47 (PB)
    Position: 103/1453
    Splits: 7:17 7:18 7:15 7:13 6:54 - 7:14 6:58 7:00 7:18 7:11 - 7:14 6:56 6:42 0:19
    Avg pace: 7:05/mi
    Avg HR: 164 bpm
    Age grading: 68.98%

Sun 1/12 -- Rest

Weekly total: 29.5 miles

Mon 2/12 -- 4 mile recovery @ 10:20/mi (Avg HR: 131 bpm)

A few very easy miles on grass in the morning. Followed by a VB session in the evening. Body holding up well.

Tue 3/12 -- Rest

Wed 4/12 -- 5 mile recovery @ 10:08/mi

Another few recovery miles on grass - effort felt a bit higher than on Monday. Followed by cycle commute and another VB session in the evening.

Thu 5/12 -- No running. Cycle commute.

Fri 6/12 -- No running. Cycle commute.

Sat 7/12 -- 7 miles easy @ 9:21/mi inc. Cabinteely parkrun

Left the house early and headed to the park the long way via Foxrock. Felt very creaky today and only started loosening up during the last lap of the parkrun. A chat with a few people then another mile to get home, this time with a lot more bounce in the stride.

Sun 8/12 -- Day trip to Athlone so no running.

Weekly total: 16 miles

Mon 9/12 -- 5.1 mile recovery @ 9:57/mi (Avg HR: 136 bpm)

Still in recovery mode so stuck to a few easy miles on the flat sections of the park and to the far end of the village. Was planning on 1h but wrapped it up after 5 miles. Still a bit breezy out there after the storm.

Tue 10/12 -- 1h aerobic: 6.6 miles @ 9:13/mi (Avg HR: 140 bpm)

Early start after a late night. Out after breakfast and, finding the park closed, decided to loop around Foxrock and Brennanstown. Blustery but luckily managed to hit a dry window in what was otherwise a very wet morning. Feeling of strength returning to the legs. Lowlight of the run: two people asked me for directions (one to a street across the road from my house) and I managed to send both the wrong way!

Wed 11/12 -- No running. Cycle commute. VB session.

Thu 12/12 -- No running.

Fri 13/12 -- 1h easy: 6.4 miles @ 9:57/mi

More easy miles around Cabinteely and Kilbogget parks.

Sat 14/12 -- No running

Sun 15/12 -- No running. Spin to Enniskerry.

Weekly total: 18.1 miles

A very late night on Sunday to sort out some work stuff was the worst possible way of starting the week. The fatigue that inevitably followed, combined with more busy long days at work and other stuff getting in the way meant no running whatsover during the week.

Sat 21/12 -- 5.9 miles inc. Cabinteely parkrun in 21:40 (7:02/mi)

A fast parkrun is perhaps not the best way of getting back on track after no running for a whole week but it was borne out of frustration. Ended up with my 3rd fastest time ever in Cabinteely, which is not too bad all things considering.

Sun 22/12 -- No running. 1h spin to Dalkey and Killiney.

Weekly total: 5.9 miles

Mon 23/12 -- 8 miles easy @ 9:21/mi (Avg HR: 143 bpm)

Nothing memorable about this flat loop around Cabinteely, Clonkeen and Kilbogget parks.

Tue 24/12 -- 5 miles easy @ 9:45/mi (Avg HR: 136 bpm)

Evening run in the park in darkness. There may have been a head torch involved.

Wed 25/12 to Fri 27/12 -- No running

Sat 28/12 -- 1h easy: 6.6 miles @ 9:12/mi inc. Cabinteely parkrun

Took the parkrun easy but it still felt like a real grind. Felt much better on the way home via Foxrock.

Sun 29/12 -- Rest

Weekly total: 19.6 miles

Mon 30/12 -- Long run: 10.1 miles @ 9:41/mi (Avg HR: 142 bpm)

Morning run after breakfast. Clonkeen to Kilbogget and back to Cabinteely. Stuggled a bit during the middle section of the run then decided to hit Cabinteely hill hard(ish) on tired legs and actually felt better afterwards.

Tue 31/12 -- 5 mile recovery @ 10:06/mi (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

Legs feeling a bit tired but the compulsion to reach a round annual mileage figure was too strong to resist so went out for a very gentle jog in the park: 1200 miles all in. :)

Time to bring the old log out of cocooning with a little 'race' report ... :)

Boards 1 mile TT

I’ve never been an early riser but these last few weeks my body clock has developed some kind of malfunction and wakes me up at 5:30 AM pretty much every single day. Must be the longer summer days or the warmer weather but I can hardly recognise my activity feed with all the early morning runs and spins lately. Some days I’ll try and squeeze in a bit of a snooze but today I thought may as well get on with things before the temperature climbs too much. Didn’t fancy tackling the TT on a completely empty stomach so just munched on half a banana and a small bit of toast with jam, a glass of water, a few drills and out the door by 6:30 … at 14 °C already!

The chosen venue was a mile loop in Kilbogget Park, which I hoped would be fairly empty early on a Saturday, with the fallback option of using the track if I didn’t get out early enough. The loop is one mile exactly, so zero net elevation, and fairly flat. When run anticlockwise it ends on a slightly uphill drag, although to me it always feels like it’s uphill the whole way around.

I cut across Cabinteely Park on the way and was half-tempted to just stay there and do the TT on a flat grass field that was nicely shaded but decided to go check out Kilbogget as planned. Just one or two walkers in sight so OK on that front but already heating up nicely in the sunshine. Incorporated a fast sharp uphill burst into the end of the warm-up to get the heart pumping, then a few stretches and a couple more strides on the track before a slow walk to the starting line, trying to get a bit of a breather and settle down. Mile workout programmed on the Garmin, path clear up ahead, deep breath, go.

Target was 6:15 based on the recent 5k TT but was of course hoping to do better, and secretly hoping to get close to 6 minutes. A slight downhill start coupled with the initial burst of adrenaline and the Garmin was showing a 5:4x early pace; not to worry - very soon the gradient changes and a gentle drag puts the brakes on and leaves the legs in no doubt they'll have to do a bit of work. A 90-degree left hander and shortly after, by the next bench on the right, is the first quarter mile marker. Quick glance at the watch: 1:33. So far so good – now keep the effort going this next quarter mile. Conscious attempt to stay relaxed and controlled. Coming up to the slightly narrower chicane between the playground and the small astro pitch, and of course the only dog walker in the whole park is here, with his small pooch off the lead. Thankfully the mutt isn’t interested in a passing runner and I manage to negotiate this section safely. Next target is the half-way point by the exercise machine on the left. Quick glance at the watch: distance covered = 0.45 miles!? Cue brief moment of confusion until I spot another exercise machine a bit further on, but when I eventually get there I fail to register my split. Only half way and the brain already struggling.

Onto the third quarter and the make or break section of a mile race. Pace biting and form starting to go but try to keep it flowing – remember all those YouTube videos of middle distance races you’ve watched and how smooth the pros looked. As if! Now heading towards the only sharp corner of the loop; normally you’d swing wide to the right side of the path then cut across the apex and slingshot the other side, using up the full width of the path on both entry and exit to the corner. Already some distance away I spot trouble ahead: a lone walker heading towards the corner from the other side and, of course, we’re going to converge right on the corner. I can’t hog the path this time so have to cut the corner, across the grass, in order to maintain a sensible distance. Hopefully no significant time lost but could have done without the worry.

Well over half way and really working hard now. The 3/4 mile marker is by the next bench on the right but I’m under too much pressure to register my time. With 300m to go I power up a short ramp and onto the final straight, a gentle uphill drag all the way to the end of the loop. Breathing gone into overdrive and no point looking at the watch now - just bl**dy push. Past the bench on the right that is the 100m to go marker and push, push, push. It feels like something is going to give in any second when finally, and thankfully, the Garmin beeps the end of the workout and I just collapse onto the grass by the side of the path panting heavily: 6:18.87.

Very tough but very enjoyable at the same time. A bit disappointed with the time but probably a fair reflection of where fitness is at the moment. Around this time last year I ran a mile TT comfortably inside 6 minutes. That was coming to the end of a 12 week 10k-specific training block but I'm a long way from that level now ... and also a year older!

Still, as I mentioned on the TT thread, the enjoyment of race day has helped restore the motivation that had been waning a little these last few weeks, so glad I got on with it in the end instead of pulling the plug as I was seriously tempted to do during the week.

What's next? Spend the rest of the month topping up the base building I've been doing for the last while then jump onto a middle-distance specific training block for the next 8 or 12 weeks (need to put together a suitable plan) to focus on shorter distances for a change. Hopefully getting the log re-started will help keep things on track. :)

• Advertisement

Mon 1/6 -- Short cycle: 12.1 miles in 68' (427 ft)

Feeling a bit sore after Sunday's very long spin so had planned an easy run today but in the end had to do a quick round-trip to Donnybrook on the bike and I think the legs were thankful for that.

Tue 2/6 -- 5 mile recovery @ 10:42/mi (Avg HR: 129 bpm)

Legs still tired after the weekend's cycling so kept it nice & easy with a flat loop of Cabinteely and Kilbogget. Fairly warm at 8 AM already (16°C) so focused on keeping the HR well under control: avg < 135 for each mile.

Wed 3/6 -- Rest

Thu 4/6 -- 1h aerobic: 6.2 miles @ 9:59/mi (Avg HR: 136 bpm)

A much cooler morning - left the house with thin gloves and a body warmer (soon discarded) and just settled for laps of the grass field in Cabinteely Park at a nice easy pace. Must have done 20-odd laps in the end but it was nice to simply get into a groove with a very steady pace and just focus on form. Felt really good actually.

Fri 5/6 -- Morning cycle: 13.7 miles in 70' (755 ft)

A nice loop around Old Conna and Kilternan with just enough climbing to wake up the legs. Nice and fresh after the overnight rain.

Sat 6/6 -- Long run: 10.4 miles in 1h45m @ 10:10/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Knew that Sunday I might not get out for a run so although it was fairly breezy I decided to get in a long run on one of my favourite (and hilly) loops: across Cabinteely Park towards the Brennanstown Road exit, Lehaunstown Road and the quaint Tully Church, up steep Puck Castle Lane, around Carrickgollogan with the scenic views of the sea and the mountains, then cut down via Sutton's Lane to the Ballycorus Road and re-trace my steps along Lehaunstown Road. It really is sad to see how this country lane will soon be swallowed up by the massive Cherrywood development that is in full swing now.

The first half of the loop is mostly uphill with just over 1000 feet of climbing so tried to keep the effort under control, but the reward is enjoying the downhill and being able to push again on tired legs. Interesting listening to the recent Runner Beans episode with Brendan Boyce. I've had a soft spot for race walking since I competed in a couple of events as a school kid and have always admired how gritty race walkers are.

Sun 7/6 -- Afternoon cycle: 15.2 miles in 95' (994 ft)

A nice loop via Rathmichael and the Ballycorus Road to Kilternan, then up the steep and very scenic Killegar Road before descending to Kilternan again and back towards Cherrywood.

A week relatively low on running mileage, slightly compensated with a few spins, which I've been doing more of in the good weather; I think I cycled close to 200 miles in May.

Weekly total (run): 21.6 miles (35 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 41.0 miles (66 km)

Mon 8/6 -- 5 miles easy @ 9:42/mi (Avg HR: 130 bpm)

Just an easy few miles after work on another warm evening. Spotted a couple of groups in Kilbogget already taking advantage of the nice weather and the easing of restrictions in terms of group sport activities (soccer, tag rugby?). A tiny bit of tiredness in the legs but breathing well under control and kept the HR below 135 bpm on average.

Tue 9/6 -- Rest

Wed 10/6 -- 45' aerobic with strides: 4.75 miles @ 9:33/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Another easy few miles just doing laps of the flat grass field in Cabinteely Park but this time I added a few strides in the middle to get the legs turning over a bit. Experimented with a higher cadence (~150) than usual (~140) for an easy run.

Thu 11/6 -- Mini 'tempo' session - 7 miles @ 9:20/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Set off towards Foxrock planning on 1h aerobic but after 4 miles decided to push the HR into the low/mid 150s for 8' just to get a bit of a taste for tempo work again. I didn't measure it accurately but the average pace was probably in the low 8 minutes/mile on a mostly uphill stretch.

Fri 12/6 -- Morning cycle: 7 miles in 40' (86m)

A bit pressed for time so just a short leg-stretch after breakfast around Foxrock and Leopardstown.

Sat 13/6 -- Afternoon cycle: 26.7 miles in 3h (610m)

A leasurely and very scenic afternoon spin from Roundwood to Laragh (via Oldbridge) then back via Moneystown. The usual rolling terrain of Wicklow including a few punchy climbs thrown in for good measure. A bit tired afterwards.

Sun 14/6 -- Long run: 10.5 miles in 1h45m @ 9:58/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Same hilly loop as last week. Beautiful day in comparison; windstill but very warm and, although thankfully a lot of the route was nicely shaded, struggled a bit with the heat in the more exposed sections so tried to really back off the effort to keep it within the aerobic range as much as possible. Left knee showing a tiny bit of discomfort during the second half of the run - definitely a rest day tomorrow.

Weekly total (run): 27.3 miles (44 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 33.8 miles (54 km)

Mon 15/06 -- Morning cycle: 12.8 miles in 80' (104m)

A leasurely spin along Dublin Bay from Booterstown to Bullock Harbour. Gorgeous morning: warm, sunny and plenty of swimmers enjoying a sea as flat as a swimming pool.

Tue 16/06 -- 1h easy inc. aerobic time trial

Third installment of an idea I pinched from shotgun's log: a very controlled time trial to gauge progress during a aerobic training block. I've now repeated this 3 times with roughly 100 mostly easy miles in between each trial, and I have tried to replicate the conditions as closely as possible: early morning before breakfast, a couple of easy miles to warm up then 3 laps of the Kilbogget flat mile loop trying to keep HR at or below 140 (although it strays easily into the low 140s on the drags).

Date|Splits|Avg HR|Conditions
    15/04 | 9:21 9:31 9:40 | 137 139 140 | Frosty (0°C)
    12/05 | 9:26 9:26 9:34 | 140 140 140 | Breezy (5°C)
    16/06 | 9:16 9:44 9:42 | 140 140 140 | Muggy (15°C)

The 2nd trial showed, at best, a marginal improvement but today's outcome is harder to interpret and may have been heavily influenced by the muggy conditions (an obvious uncontrollable) so probably best not to try and read too much into it.

Wed 17/06 -- Rest

Thu 18/06 -- 5 miles aerobic @ 9:57/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Out first thing before breakfast and decided to start with a few easy laps of the grass field in Cabinteely Park. As I was warming up I was half-thinking of doing a few hill reps but the heavy and very muggy conditions started wearing me down and decided against it. After 4 miles the easy jog started turning into a heavy plod so just wrapped it up and headed back home.

Fri 19/06 -- 1h aerobic w/strides: 6.2 miles @ 9:42/mi (Avg HR: 136 bpm)

Lethargic and mentally exhausted after a long day at work I was just sitting on the sofa about to settle in for the evening but in the end managed to haul my backside out of the house and headed towards Clonkeen Park for a few easy miles. A warm evening with a gentle breeze and again kept the effort very handy except for the half dozen 30s strides I decided to throw in on the way back home. One of those typical days when you feel a lot better after a run than you did before.

Sat 20/06 -- Long run: 10.5 miles in 1h48m @ 10:18/mi (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

Today was the only window of opportunity for a long run during the weekend but only managed to get going around 2 PM with the sun at its peak. Mindful of the heat and with the previous evening's late run still in the legs, I consciously kept the pace very easy during the first few miles on the uphill stretch across Cabinteely Park, Lehaunstown and Puck Castle Lane. This time, instead of looping around Carrickgollogan, I decided to explore a new route and headed down across Rathmichael Woods and followed the backroads to Shankill and the length of Shanganagh Park all the way to the sea. Over one hour in, as I started heading North alongside the Bay, I could feel the fatigue starting to creep in. Rounded the treatment plant and started making my way towards Kilbogget Park; the effort seemed to go up a notch around here but kept plugging away all the way home. A quick shower and out the door again to get a few dinner essentials; not a pretty trudge to the shops on very tired legs.

Sun 21/06 -- Afternoon cycle to Enniskerry: 12.75 miles in 90' (305m)

Nice and sunny afternoon for a leasurely spin to Enniskerry via Rathmichael and Fassaroe then back via Kilternan and the Ballycorus Road. Nice and sunny

Weekly total (run): 27.9 miles (45 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 28.5 miles (46 km)

Mon 22/6 -- Rest

Tue 23/6 -- 1h easy: 6.1 miles @ 9:56/mi (Avg HR: 130 bpm)

A repeat of Friday's loop (minus the strides this time) around Clonkeen and Kilbogget parks. As is the trend lately, very muggy already first thing in the morning; there were a few spots of rain along the way and was hoping for the heavens to open and cool things down but no such luck. The legs settled into a very easy pace and just kept the HR below 135 most of the way.

Wed 24/6 -- 7.3 miles @ 10:07/mi (Avg HR: 131 bpm)

Unusually for me, I hooked up with a friend for an easy run in the late afternoon sun. Cabinteely Park was heaving so we decided to head off towards the countryside, following a shortened version of Saturday's LSR: up Puck's Castle Lane, down across Rathmichael Woods and then back via Cherrywood and the unpleasant N11. Chatting away and not paying close attention to the watch, it felt like we were motoring along at a higher clip than on Saturday -particularly on the uphills- but the average pace and HR turned out to be very similar.

Thu 25/6 -- Morning cycle: 10.6 miles in 76' (80m)

Leasurely spin along Dublin Bay from Blackrock to the Forty Foot and back home. Another nice sunny morning.

Fri 26/6 -- Afternoon cycle: 34.3 miles in 3h18m (821m)

Spin to Roundwood and back via Enniskerry and Long Hill; 1h48m on the way out and 90' flat on the way back.

Sat 27/6 -- 1h easy inc. Cabinteely freedom run (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Plenty of showers around but somehow managed to time the run with a dry sunny spell. Decided to follow the Cabinteely parkrun course; it was meant to be an easy run but allowed the HR to drift into the mid 140s on the uphills and used the downhills to bring it back under control. A nice run in muggy conditions again.

Sun 28/6 -- No running

Didn't get out during the morning and then other things got in the way so the planned long run gets pushed into next week. A low (running) mileage week but sleep hasn't been great so another day off will do no harm.

Weekly total (run): 19.4 miles (31 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 44.9 miles (72 km)

A bit of catching up to do ...

Mon 29/6 -- 5k recovery @ 11:23/mi (Avg HR: 111 bpm)

Tue 30/6 -- 6.2 miles aerobic @ 9:04/mi (Avg HR: 135 bpm)

Wed 1/7 -- No running

Thu 2/7 -- No running

Fri 3/7 -- 4.9 miles easy @ 9:47/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Sat 4/7 -- Boards 10' TT

Chose the Kilbogget mile loop for this on what turned out to be another muggy morning. The target was 2500m so 4' pace. Started well, just outside target pace until the mile mark and then, instead of picking it up as per the plan, started slowing down and the will to fight the hurt just wasn't there today. Covered 1.5 miles exactly (2.41 km) at an average pace of 6:40/mile. Slightly disappointed but in line with the previous mile trial. Total of 5.8 miles for the day including warm up and cool down.

Sun 5/7 -- No running

Weekly total (run): 20.1 miles (32 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 0 miles (0 km)

Mon 6/7 -- AM: short cycle - PM: 5 mile aerobic @ 9:09/mi (Avg HR: 137 bpm)

Tue 7/7 -- 3 mile recovery @ 11:26/mi (Avg HR: 127 bpm)

Wed 8/7 -- Rest

Thu 9/7 -- Workout: 6 x 0.3 mile

My intention this week was to start adding to my training quality sessions with a focus on middle distance. Due to the closure of the public libraries, I ended up with a long term loan of a copy of Daniels' Running Formula, which includes training plans for 800m and 1.5/3k distances. The plans include 2 or 3 quality sessions per week, which I know I won't be able to handle, so I'll be using them as a guideline rather than follow them rigidly. With no target races on the horizon, the main objective is to develop a taste for middle distance training. The outcome of the recent TTs put me at a VDOT of 46 so will use that to determine interval paces.

By chance, today I met up with a couple of buddies and they suggested a few speed intervals, so I was happy to go along with that. The 'session' was very informal and the intervals were just running the length of the pitches in Clonkeen Park, which turned out to be roughly a third of a mile.

The splits were remarkably consistent (1:51 1:50 1:51 1:51 1:50 1:50) and the average pace measured by the Garmin increased progressively with each interval from 6:22 to 6:08 per mile. Standing recoveries were not strictly timed and ranged between 1:35 and 2:17.

In summary, about 1.8 miles at pace and 7.1 miles altogether for the day. Happy enough with that.

Fri 10/7 -- Two cycles: 9.16 miles in 45' (94m) + 15.6 miles in 1h20m (64m)

Sat 11/7 -- VB + 12.5 mile cycle

Sun 12/7 -- Afternoon spin to Enniskerry: 19.6 miles in 1h33m (461m)

Weekly total (run): 15.2 miles (24.5 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 63.8 miles (103 km)

Mon 13/7 -- 30' easy: 3.4 miles @ 9:05/mi (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

Tue 14/7 -- Morning spin: 10 miles in 50' (146m)

Wed 15/7 -- 6 miles easy @ 9:30/mi (Avg HR: 137 bpm)

Thu 16/7 -- Workout: 2 x (6 x 200m + 1 x 400m) @ R pace with equal distance jog recoveries

Headed over to the Kilbogget track for this one, as I wanted to have the interval distances properly measured. A very warm afternoon for this but I was full of motivation after signing up for the mile race at the Day of Irish PBs earlier in the day.

Target R pace for a VDOT of 46 is 46" for the 200s and 94" for the 400s.

Splits:
    44 46 44 46 46 46 - 92 (200m jog recoveries between 78" and 84"; 400m recovery in 3'30")
    46 46 46 46 47 46 - 94 (200m jog recoveries between 83" and 87", 94" after the last 200)

Started to struggle a bit towards the end but managed to complete the session. Only realised afterwards that the workout was meant to be sets of 2x200+1x400 instead of 6x200 but hey ... 2 miles at pace and 7.4 miles in total for the day, and very pleased to hit the target paces.

Legs absolutely in bits for the next few days after this session. I haven't experienced this type of DOMS in a long time.

Fri 17/7 -- Morning spin: 14.5 miles in 1h20m (147m)

Sat 18/7 -- 1h recovery: 5.4 miles @ 9:50/mi (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

Sun 19/7 -- VB + 90' long run: 9.4 miles @ 9:35/mi

Weekly total (run): 31.6 miles (51 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 24.5 miles (39 km)

Mon 20/7 to Sun 26/7 No running

A week of hiking and cycling in the Beara and Sheep's Head peninsulas. No running at all but hopefully the very rolling terrain of West Cork will have help keep things ticking over.

Weekly total (run): 0 miles (0 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 74.1 miles (120 km)

Mon 27/7 -- Rest

Tue 28/7 -- 5 mile easy @ 9:32/mi (Avg HR: 129 bpm)

First thing in the morning, just laps of the football pitch in Cabinteely park.

Wed 29/7 -- Rest

Thu 30/7 -- 5 mile easy inc. strides

Four easy miles to stretch the legs out before tomorrow's race, then added two sets of strideouts: 20-30-40 seconds with 30s walk recovery and 3' between sets.

Fri 31/7 -- Day of Irish PBs (mile race)

Finally managed to make it to this very special event. The first edition two years ago caught me during a barren spell and I decided I didn't have the fitness to make it justice. Last year I was signed up but couldn't make it in the end. This year, by the time I heard about it, the 5k races in my range were full but the mile had spaces available so just went for it.

This event seems to be blessed by the weather gods and it was another very warm evening as I was driving up to Leixlip trying to put a couple of stressful days at work out of my mind. Registration was straightforward before I set off for a 10' warm up, slightly shorter than I wanted, around the grounds of the sports centre. Headed back to the track and I decided I might as well complete the pretence of being a middle distance runner by changing into my XC spikes (with 5mm pins) and leaving the Garmin in my bag. A couple of strides on the track to test the footwear and, the event running like clockwork, we were called to the start.

There were only 7 participants in the mile but, credit to the organisers, they still went ahead and provided pacers for 5, 6 and 7 minutes. I lined up with the 6' group, which consisted of the pacer (dublin runner of these parts I think?) a young girl and me. Without much ado, and after a short countdown, we were off.

The strategy was very simple: hold onto the pacer for 3 laps then bring it home and try to sneak under 6 minutes, which I really thought would be a stretch. The first lap was a case of just settling into the pace being set, which was spot on, and then carry that onto the second lap. Around 700m in, the young girl seemed to be dropping off the pace a little bit so I went round her and slotted behind the pacer because I didn't want a gap to open up, specially going into the slight headwind hitting the home straight. She held on and we completed the second lap still as a group, still bang on pace. Onto the third lap, always the make or break of a mile, with a clear focus: hold onto the pacer. I was definitely working hard here, and had to spur myself a couple of times to stay with him, but it still felt reasonably controlled. Completed the third lap just a metre or two behind the pacer and, as he stepped aside and dropped back to help the young girl along, he said "wind it up". I tried to do just that, conscious of not blowing up too early, and kept pushing all the way to the line and came in comfortably under the 6' mark. Hands on knees I turned around to see the young girl finish just inside 6 minutes - delighted for her.

The final time of 5:51 is a new 'official' mile PB. (Last summer I was given a 5:45 time at one of the Bray Runners' open mile events but I don't know how accurately measured the course was so that result has always had an asterisk next to it.)

Really enjoyed running on the track and very pleased with the outcome: 30s faster than the mile TT just shows what a difference a race environment makes, plus of course having a pacer is a real luxury. I look forward to dedicating a bit more time to middle distance training and trying to take a good chunk off this PB at some point.

Lap splits:

# - After Lap - Lap
    1 - 01:28.61 - 01:28.61
    2 - 02:57.03 - 01:28.43
    3 - 04:26.16 - 01:29.13
    4 - 05:50.87 - 01:24.72

This is a great event that really deserves larger crowds than were possible this year. I ended up staying to watch the remaining races, admiring the faster runners, and the icing on the cake was an amazing final race that came down to a sprint finish between two runners just outside 15'.

Sat 1/8 -- VB + 8.8 mile cycle

Sun 2/8 -- VB + 5.4 mile cycle

Weekly total (run): 12.8 miles (20 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 14.2 miles (23 km)

Mon 3/8 -- Aerobic run: 6.25 miles @ 8:52/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Warm evening on the bank holiday Monday for a few easy miles around Clonkeen and Kilbogget parks. Felt really good from the off. Pushed the pace a little but kept the average HR in the 142-144 range.

Tue 4/8 -- Recovery run: 2.95 miles @ 11:56/mi

Late evening trot around the Park with D. Very gentle. Calves feeling a little tight.

Wed 5/8 -- Aerobic run: 3.5 miles @ 9:40/mi (Avg HR: 128 bpm)

A very late run on a very balmy evening (17-18°C at 9:30 PM). Settled into a nice groove and just did a few laps of the soccer pitches in the Park. HR in the mid 130s.

Thu 6/8 -- Rest

Fri 7/8 -- Workout: 4 x (2 x 200m + 1 x 400m) @ R pace with equal length jog recoveries

Out the door before breakfast and headed down to the Kilbogget track sporting a new pair of Asterias I had picked up over a year ago and had not seen the light of day yet. The new mile PB translates into a VDOT of 50 so I chose the target R interval times accordingly: 43" for 200m and 87" for 400m. Mile pace essentially.

It took a couple of reps to lock onto the target pace but after that it was very much spot on. Recoveries were mostly around 90" after the 200s and about 3' between sets. The numbers give the impression that this was an easy session but it was nothing of the sort. After the first set I was already wondering how on earth I had managed to run a whole mile at this pace, without recoveries, just a week earlier and after the 3rd set I actually sat down for a few seconds to catch my breath before I decided to try and coax the legs into another set. Tough session but a great feeling of achievement afterwards. Total of 7.8 miles for the day.

Splits:
    42 45 - 87
    42 43 - 88
    43 43 - 86
    42 43 - 87

Sat 8/8 -- 4.5(ish) miles easy + VB

Had arranged to meet a buddy for a (not)parkrun in Cabinteely but my legs were in no mood to tackle this at even close to his intended pace so I was very relieved to get there and find somebody else happy to set off with him, thereby relieving me of my social 'duty' to keep his company. Instead, I went round at recovery pace with one of the older regulars and partway through the last lap stopped to chat and walk with somebody else I bumped into. VB session in the afternoon.

Sun 9/8 -- Rest

Weekly total (run): 25 miles (40 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 18 miles (29 km)

• Advertisement

Mon 10/8 -- 30' recovery + 5 mile aerobic @ 9:37/mi (Avg HR: 128 bpm)

Two and a half miles with D around the Park then carried on by myself as it was getting dark and did 15 laps or so of the soccer pitches at an easy pace (avg 9:37/mi). It feels a bit strange to enjoy this type of session just locking onto a pace and looping round and round a field.

Tue 11/8 -- 5k recovery @ 12:06/mi

Another late evening trot with D around the Park.

Wed 12/8 -- No running

Long day at work. Changed into running gear and even got through my usual warm-up routine but I just felt sluggish and tired so decided to give it a miss and tuck into some dinner instead. I might have been fine if I had actually stepped outside the door but apathy got the better of me.

Thu 13/8 -- No running

Intended to make up for the day before but didn't manage to get out first thing. Later, after work, I had to run an errand so cycled over to Dalkey with the intention of doing a track session in Kilbogget on the way back but my plan was scuppered by a soccer match taking place on the infield with quite a few spectators all around the track, so not the best time for a workout. Cycled home to drop the bike off but by then fatigue had set in and didn't go out again in the end.

Fri 14/8 -- Workout: 5 x 1k @ T pace w/ 200m jog

Today I was determined to get a session done. Headed out after work still in two minds about which workout to tackle; either a 6x800 @ 3k pace or a cruise interval session, both sets of splits scribbled on the palm of my left hand. On the way to the track, the muggy conditions made me settle for the cruise intervals, which I thought might be a bit less taxing. Another soccer match was about to get going when I got there but the crowd seemed a bit smaller today so I just thought, tough, they'll have to put up with a lunatic running in circles (ovals?) around them.

Target pace was 4:17/km (6:54/mi). The first couple of intervals didn't feel too bad but towards the end of the 3rd one I was ready to call it a day. My lungs were burning and, unusually for me, I was also battling a bit of a stitch. I almost forced myself to crawl the next recovery before starting the 4th interval playing mind games with myself ("you can stop after this one - 4x1k is a decent-enough session") and just focusing on covering 200m at a time. Got through it and, after a few seconds of standing recovery, decided to jog the next 200m recovery and see. Went for a 5th interval, again just concentrating on maintaining the pace 200m at a time and, to my surprise, didn't fade and even had a couple of seconds in hand towards the end, before I collapsed on the grass to catch my breath.

Very good session. Noticed afterwards that my HR was maxing out during the intervals. In hindsight I should have probably backed off the pace slightly to compensate for the warm conditions.

Splits (recoveries):
    4:17.3 (1:21)
    4:17.7 (1:31)
    4:17.3 (1:44)
    4:18.1 (1:53)
    4:16.4

Sat 15/8 -- 3.4 miles @ 9:59/mi

Met up with a few folks for a bit of a social and ran the Cabinteely (not)parkrun course in reverse. Took it very handy after yesterday's workout, just chatting away most of the way. VB session in the afternoon plus 20 miles or so on the bike.

Sun 16/8 -- 4 miles recovery + 4.25 miles aerobic

A gentle 45' jog with D followed by another 40' or so on my own just doing laps of the soccer pitches again at around 9:30/mi pace.

Weekly total (run): 29.8 miles (48 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 42.7 miles (69 km)

Mon 17/8 -- 1h aerobic: 6 miles @ 9:57/mi (Avg HR: 137 bpm)

A few evening miles in Cabinteely Park in a welcome light drizzle. Started with a few laps of the soccer pitches before zig-zagging my way progressively to the top of the hill trying to keep the HR under control. Really enjoyable run.

Tue 18/8 -- No running. VB session.

Wed 19/8 -- Workout: 3 x 1 mile @ T + 4 x 200m @ R with

Squeezed this in before work to get ahead of storm Ellen. A 20' or so tempo session broken up as 3 x 1 mile intervals (6:54 target pace) on the Kilbogget mile loop with 3' jog recoveries, followed by 4 x 200m on the track at mile pace (43" target) with 200m jog recoveries.

The tempo intervals felt a bit on the upper end of the comfortably hard spectrum and the recoveries were arguably generous but still a good workout nonetheless. The left calf started tightening up slightly on the last couple of 200s so just wrapped it up and headed home with a total of 8 miles for the morning.

Splits (recoveries):
    6:53 6:52 6:55 (3:12 3:17 2:54)
    46 44 44 44 (1:36 1:24 1:38)

Thu 20/8 -- 5.2 miles easy @ 9:50/mi (Avg HR: 127 bpm)

Warm afternoon again. Recovery run effort so kept to the lower and flatter sections of the Park.

Fri 21/8 -- No running. VB session + 14 mile cycle.

Sat 22/8 -- 6 mile aerobic inc. (not)parkrun @ 9:00/mi (Avg HR: 137 bpm)

Met a few folks for a (not)parkrun in Cabinteely. They tore off but I decided to keep to a more steady effort, only pushing a bit more on the uphills. The legs didn't have much zip at the start so I doubt I would have been able to keep up with them even if I had wanted to (they went through the 1st km in about 4:10-4:15 whereas I did it in a more leisurely 5' flat) but they felt better as the run progressed and I finished the last hill reasonably strongly. Total of 6 miles including before and after jogs.

Sun 23/8 -- Long run: 8 miles @ 9:06/mi (Avg HR: 141 bpm)

Warm and breezy afternoon for a long run around Kilbogget and Clonkeen parks. Started off at 9' mile pace and kept it there for most of the run, with the HR in the low to mid 140s, except during the more exposed stretches into the breeze. Felt really strong today until fatigue started creeping in during the last couple of miles and my left calf was tightening up a little.

Really enjoyed watching the Nationals afterwards, in particular the 5000m and the amazingly close 1500m final.

Weekly total (run): 33.2 miles (53 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 14.1 miles (23 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Whats the surface like on that track/path around kilbogget Park? Is it 400 metres?

Whats the surface like on that track/path around kilbogget Park? Is it 400 metres?

It's a 400m track but the surface is rubbish: hard as a rock with a thin layer of loose gravel on top. The only thing going for it is that it's flat and you can measure your intervals and pace accurately but otherwise it probably adds an extra challenge to the workouts. Still, it's a ten minute jog from home and, perhaps strangely, I just love running there. :)

Mon 24/8 -- Rest

Tue 25/8 -- No running

Wed 26/8 -- Workout: 5 x 800m @ I pace + 4 x 200m @ R pace

After a draining day at work and having been indoors for nearly 48h I was ready for a good blowout. Another balmy evening at the Kilbogget track but this time I had it almost to myself; there was a cyclist doing clockwise laps of the track but we managed to share amicably.

Following my current pick-and-mix approach to the Daniels' 1500m plan, for today I chose a session of 800m intervals at I pace: 3:06 target. A little off the pace today but not a million miles away either. A 400m jog in 2:30 for the first two recoveries then switched to walked recoveries of the same duration for the next two. I couldn't face a 6th 800 so I decided to add a few 200s at mile pace (43"), with 200m recovery jogs in 90", and was pleased to see the legs dealt with them quite comfortably.

Splits (recoveries):
    800s: 3:08 3:09 3:12 3:11 3:08 (~2:30)
    200s: 41 45 43 43 (~90)

Thu 27/8 -- 45' recovery: 4.5 miles @ 10:00/mi

A few easy miles in the park in a nice cooling rain. Legs feeling OK after yesterday; left hamstring just a little bit tight.

Fri 28/8 -- 4 miles easy @ 9:47/mi (Avg HR: 133 bpm)

A leg stretch before dinner and after another long day at work. Left hamstring still giving me a bit of feedback.

Sat 29/8 -- Long aerobic run: 10 miles @ 9:07/mi (Avg HR: 138 bpm)

Travelling tomorrow so wanted to get a long run in this evening: a couple of loops around Foxrock taking in a fair amount of drags then, after 6.5 miles, the long Brennanstown Road downhill all the way to the far end of Cabinteely village followed by a long climb to the top of the Park on the 9th mile - tough on tired legs - before heading for home.

Felt very controlled throughout: good form, steady pace and average HR in the high 130s except during the long climb in the park. Legs just a little fatigued and this time it was the turn of the left calf to tighten up during the last few miles, but the breathing was very controlled. A really enjoyable run in overcast conditions.

I don't think I'll get any running done on Sunday and I may be offline for a few days so wrapping up the weekly update here and now.

Sun 30/8 -- No running.

Weekly total (run): 27 miles (43 km)
    Weekly total (bike): 0 miles (0 km)

Perhaps a log update will give me the kick up the backside I need.

Not much action since the end of August. Family holiday for a few days at the start of September meant no running done but I was happy to give the body a bit of a rest and allow a very mild hamstring niggle a chance to clear up. Back in Dublin I managed an easy 5 miler on 12 Sep and a 3h spin in Wicklow the following day but last week was almost a complete blank; just a 6 miler on Saturday at a higher than usual HR for an easy run, so fitness is probably starting to slip.

Need to think about how to stay motivated without a clear goal. Normally at this time of the year I'd be looking forward to a few XC races but, not being in a club and with the BHAA completely silent since March, I'm not expecting any XC action this winter.

Advertisement