Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The (Not So) Flying Scotsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Weekly Update

6 Days 43 miles.

Monday: 6 miles @ 8.06 headed into work early and ran with one of the lads before clocking in ( one of the joys of having a flexible start time) a lovely crisp morning for a run from Swords down into Malahide and the coast road route back to work.

Tuesday: 5 miles @ 7.57 per mile. The OH was walking in in the park so I took the opportunity to get 5 miles in. Handy enough 2.5 miles out and back. Time constraints kept the aim for 40 minutes.

Wednesday: Session day; 2 x (7 x 300m 55 sec recovery) and 3 1/2 minutes between sets. Though I would leave work at 1710 to give me time to get down to the club and do my resistance band exercises before the session......the M50 decided that this wasn't happening and didn't get to Chapelizod until 1850 couple of laps of the track and into the session. Soon knew that I would be taking the role of pace setter for the 4 of us who were running together. Kept all the reps between 62 and 64 seconds until the last couple then pushed them a bit for 60 and 57 secs. 2 mile cool down. Track sessions seem to inflame the achilles a little but apart from a little soreness in the morning I was ok.

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.08 loop of the Phoenix Park with a couple of the lads from the club. Found this tough enough.....felt really humid and the legs were definitely asking for a rest day.

Friday. Manual labour house moving ( not me thankfully) and a horrendous attempt at playing golf!

Saturday: Session day.....was supposed to meet the lads at half nine to do the club session had to give it a miss as more house moving to finish off. Headed to the Polo Grounds early afternoon for a solo session.

2 x 12 minutes as LT with 2 minute recovery followed by 3 x 1 minute fast one minute off. First outing of the year for the singlet and badly needed it was too!

Set 1 : 2.92 km covered 4.07 per km
    Set 2: 2.88 km covered 4.09 per km

Tough session on my own and the last couple of minutes were tough. I am sure there were folk thinking what is this lunatic doing! Absolutely no pain in the achilles!

Sunday: 12 miles @ 7.56 trail/road mix in the park. Got caught up with the pace the speedier lads were running so let them off after 6 miles and dialled it back. Bit of a winging it route with badly needed water stop at the Polos after 9 miles.

Again achilles good.

Next week hopefully up the over all mileage a little. Also need to get some more singlets!!

C

Weekly Update
    5 Runs just shy of 47 miles.

After a slightly better attempt at playing golf on Monday I got out before work on Tuesday.Legs were faulty wiped after a busy enough weekend.

8 miles @ 8.41 per mile before work into Malahide and out along the shore road towards Portmarnock before heading back to work. Took it nice and easy but the legs really were struggling.

Wednesday: Session day. Session called for 2 sets of 10 x 200m with approx 140m jog recoveries and 4 minutes between the sets. 3.5 mile warm-up from the club taking in a loop of the Memorial Gardens.
    Set 1: 39 secs for the first one then settled into 40-41 for 2-9 then 39 for the last.

Set 2: 39 secs for the first one 2-8 40-41 then 39;37.

Recoveries slowed a bit for the second set and could feel the achilles a bit towards the end. 2 mile cool down took it to just under 10 miles for the evening.

Thursday: Good bit of hobbling around work in the morning so got some stretching and foam rolling done at lunchtime. Hit the park for just under 7 miles at 8.45 achilles ok.

Friday: No running so gym for stretching and resistance band exercises.

Saturday: Session day 2 sets of 6 x500m off 70 sec recoveries with 5 minutes between sets.

All splits between 1.51-1.55 tough session whereby I basically tried to keep pace with the lads......good to be back on the grass of the Polo Grounds......this seems to agree with the achilles!

Warm-up and cool down for the session up to 10.5 miles.

Sunday: Long Run with the proviso of 15 minutes and LT thrown in.

Usual loop from the club but cut through the back of the zoo to the Polo Grounds where the LT was done on the mile road loop. Just under 2.2 miles covered in the 15 minutes; a well needed drink from water tap and back to the club brought the run to 11.5 miles.

A good weeks training; some sort of fitness coming back.......thinking I will stick to 5 days with a bit more volume on the easy days to keep the mileage up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great week C. Any upcoming races planned?

Cheers Sean....maybe Enfield Tuesday week but we have an audit in work so it will be a last minute call! 16 of us from the club going to Edinburgh Friday 25th and will be doing the 10k there on the Sat; good chance drink will be involved on the Friday! After that all roads will lead to the Cocas 5k at the end of June.

Holiday plans have been firmed up for the summer so I can start planning some racing now.

Thinking of Bob Heffernan myself too. I had thought it was on the 23rd, an evening I can't make, until I read your post. Thanks!

I'm aiming for the Dunshaughlin 10k. If the legs hold up I will do the Cocas race ;-/

• Advertisement

Wouldn't mind giving the Dunshaughlin 10k a rattle aswell. Decisions Decisions! Would be tough to race the 2.

Weekly Update.

5 Days and a touch over 47 miles.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 8.25 got out before work lovely morning if a touch humid. Straight out and back 4 miles from Swords out the coast road towards Portmarnock. Good few runners out early getting the miles done. I am starting to like these runs on my own where I can dictate the pace more so than running with the group.

Wednesday session day 10.3 miles in total. Calling this the Ed made me do it session......with the gig on in the park I ran to training so had almost 4.5 miles done before the session.

Track session 1200 m (4.22) followed by 12 x 300m off 50 sec recoveries.

Spilts for the 300s were between 63-65 secs with a couple thrown in at 62 and 60. Tough session with the heat but a good one to get under the belt. A couple slow miles home afterwards.

Friday: usually my day off but couldn't get out Thursday so got 5.5 miles done @ 8.21 before work.

Saturday Session day on a warm and windless (not often I type this) on the polo grounds.

Session was 8 x 600m off 80 second recoveries.

Splits 2.12;2.12;2.12;2.12;2.15;2.12;2.10 and 2.10

Another good session run somewhere between 5k and 3k pace.

Followed this with a BBQ and a couple beers!

Sunday 14.3 miles at 8.08 per mile; wanted to hit the 14 miles so ran from house to meet the lads from the club for the usual loop in the park. Actually showed a bit of discipline here and let most of the lads go off heading down the North Road as the pace was a bit too hot for me. Decent run but the last couple miles home were a killer.....hate the hill out of Chapelizod to the N4!

Plan for this week is a bit up in the air as we has a 4 day audit in work so can't make firm plans.

Club trip to Edinburgh at the weekend to run the 10k of the marathon weekend then watch the Pool lift the European Cup.....the run will be secondary to enjoying the break so not targeting a time.

Giving the Dunshaughlin 10k a serious consideration now. Seems to be a decent course to give the sub 40 a rattle.

C

Been a while since the last update owing to work being really busy and holidays back to Scotland thrown in.

So a short synopsis from the last three weeks.

Week 1 (Starting 21st May) Audit week in work which thankfully went well; and the Donore trip to Edinburgh for the EMF 10k.

Because of this I only ran 1/2 the club session mid week.

EMF 10k a couple of pints on the Friday and a tough course were never going to make this a PB attempt. Got round in just under 42 minutes which in the circumstances I was happy enough with and was better than my time in the K Club. A flat first 0.75 miles followed by a couple of miles up the side of Arthur's seat made this tough also a couple of sneaky sharp uphill sections in the last 2k. Great event but not for a fast time.....brilliant weekend and fairly wrecked come work on the Monday. This may have been done to the Peroni!

Week 2 (Week starting 28th)

Tuesday 7.3 miles at 7.58 per mile. Chasing the shade in the Phoenix Park.....toasting. Legs feeling it after Edinburgh.

Wendesay 6.5 miles @ 7.46 per mile.....ran down to the club from the house to join the lads for the warm-up and Back home. No time for the session as back to Scotland for holidays.

Friday 4 easy miles @ 8.00 per mile. Walked Edinburgh the previous day so just a handy 4 miles before meeting friends for breakfast.

Saturday 7 miles at 8.22 per mile. Back to the West and a run a long the River Kelvin in Glasgow taking in the Botanic Gardens.

Sunday 10.2 @ 7.55 per mile. Back home and ran from the village to the pier in the home town. Lovely run along the Firth of Clyde. A very humid morning. A good start to the holiday running wise (this would not continue)

Week 3 (Week Starting June 4th) Really got into holiday mode and between doing stuff and not forcing myself out of bed no running was done back in Scotland.

Saturday Club Session on the sweltering Polo Grounds. Session was a 4 mile tempo (6.30;6.38;6.44 and 6.22) felt like a struggle with the legs being heavy with not running and also the heat. Back down to the track for 5 x 100 (4 @ 18 and the last one just under 17).

Sunday 11 miles 8.17 per mile......bit of a loop in the Phoenix Park and a loop of the Memorial Park.....bit of pain in the achilles.....putting this down to neglecting my stretching on holidays.

Plan this week is to get back on track with the training.

Solid Week
    6 Runs/Touch over 50 miles (think this is the first time ever)

Monday 5.1 miles @ 7.58. The better half was hitting the Phoenix Park for a 40 minute walk so headed out for a wonder around the trails.

Tuesday: 6.4 miles @ 7.45. Lap of the park with one of the lads from the club. Left turn in the Chapleizod Gate to the Castleknock roundabout. Down the North Road and followed the trial to the Polos for a quick drink. Down behind the zoo and followed the S Bends back to the club. Few pacy miles which we didn't really notice as we were just shooting the breeze.

Wednesday. Session on the Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park. Session was 3 x 1500 at approx 5 km pace and a quick 500m to finish. Fairly breezy on the Polos.

1500m splits were 5.48;5.44 and 5.38
    500m was 1.41

Pushed the 500m as much as I could.

Warm-up and cool down meant just under 8 miles for the evening.

Thursday: 7 miles @ 8.17. Better half hitting the park again so ran down from the house and co-ordinated a meeting time....which actually worked out well. Legs were feeling tired at the start but fine by the end.

Saturday Session. On the track and was to be speedy enough. 1200m;800;600;400;200. 2 minutes between the 1200 and 800 with 15 seconds less on every recovery. Pace was to be 5k for the 1200 and mile pace for the others; I was feeling good so upped the pace for all the reps though.

1200: 4.33
    800: 2:53
    600: 2:08
    400: 1:18
    200: 00:34

Ran up and down to the session so got just under 9 miles in.

Sunday: Club Run 14.5 miles at 08:06 Normal 10 mile loop of the Park from the club with a run up and down from the house thrown in. Speedsters well ahead going down the North Road left 4 of us chatting for the park loop. Legs tired on the climb out of Chapelizod but too be expected.

Plan for this week....more than likely to Dunshaughlin on Saturday so will be light enough of volume with probably a 1/2 session thrown in on Wednesday.

C

Colours nailed to the mast.....signed up for both Dunshaughlin and Kilcock today.

• Advertisement

Colours nailed to the mast.....signed up for both Dunshaughlin and Kilcock today.

Great! If I can keep you in my long range view you might drag me to a sub 41 when you go sub 40 :)

Fingers crossed Sean.....I haven't actually run too many 10ks so not 100% how to approach them.

You are well capable of getting sub 41. Supposed to be a decent field so hopefully we get dragged along.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great! If I can keep you in my long range view you might drag me to a sub 41 when you go sub 40 :)

That was the week that was.

42 miles 5 days and 1 race (Dunshaughlin 10k)

Monday 6.5 miles @ 8.31 down the the Phoenix Park from the house then a slightly modified Civil Service 2 loop aroubd the cricket pitches. Which was timed to meet the real boss who was doing her 5k loop.

Tuesday 6.4 miles @ 8.12 loop of the Phoenix Park from the club. Took in the Fury Glen and followed the trails to the Castleknock entrance;down the North Road and round the polos back to the club. Nothing really to report apart from quality cakes at the club bake sale fundraiser.

Wednesay 7 miles @ 8.02 decided against the session as had Dunshaughlin coming up so just ran a loop of the park with a couple of the lads.

Friday 4 miles @ 7.31 while the Boss was walking the dog. Threw in a couple of quick ks around the polos to get the legs moving.

Saturday Dunshaughlin 10k (40.20 decent PB as my old one was pretty weak and my first time under 41).

Few mile warm up ( literally) with a few of the other Donore lads who were racing and I made my way to the start line where I bumped into Skyblue and we had a nice chat before the race and we both had pretty similar aims. Pretty much from then there wouldn't be much between us until Sean went past me between kms 7-8.

I won't bore you with an epic report. 2kms that really stand out where km 1 (4.12) and km 8 4 (4.10). Probably got a bit blocked at the start and instead of weaving/barging through just accepted it for what it was; had pretty clear raid soon enough anyway. Km 8 where there is a bit of a drag was disappointing there was a drop in pace here.....had to give myself a talking to here as sub 40:30 was looking questionable. Managed a couple of decent last kms of 3.58 and 3.54 to get home in 40:20.

So what to take from the race; initially disappointed as wanted to get close to breaking 40 but a decent chunk off a weak pb. I had a shocking 10k in the K Club where I really shouldn't have run as my achilles was sore even waking in the lead up to it; eventually meaning I would miss a good few session in March/April these where pretty low mileage months (167 miles over 2 months) also missed pretty much all off November and December after surgery so 40:20 is probably a good indication of where I am at.

So what do I need to do better.....Am I running my easy days a bit quick ( tend to be in the 8-8.30 per mile pace and definitely closer to 8) probably needs to be looked at. Looking back at session I have done pretty much no hill work we tend to do this during XC training which I missed pretty much all of.Also wondering what my ideal racing weight should be!

Anyway onwards and upwards now. Nice cool down with Sean afterwards.

All in all a decent outing and always good to support a club race; highly recommend this one. Great win for the lads in the Team Event also.

Sunday 6.5 miles in the park @ 8.22 legs weren't feeling too bad.

So this week I have an entry for Kilcock. Probably take today off with 1/2 Session on Wednesay before seeing if Kilcock is a goer.....probably not in as good a shape as I was heading there last year but it is a great one to run.

Apologies for the rambling.

C

Weekly Update 41 miles over 5 days. Only real show in town for me this week was the Kilcock 5k.

Monday day off running so got 20 minutes of stretching and resistance band work done at lunchtime. Not easy when it was so nice outside.

Tuesday: 6.3 miles @ 8.42 out nice and early before work. Down into Malahide around The Estuary back along the Swords road to work....wouldnt have taken much persuasion to have a swim as well.

Wendesay: Mini shake out session at the club 600m at race pace and 400 at mile pace; just the 2 reps so pushed it a bit. Had a bit of a chat with one of the more experienced lads about Kilcock and his advice was know your 3k split and just get the head down from there.

Thursday 4 miles @ 8.20 around the Swords/Malahide Estuary.

Friday Kilcock 5k had run this last year so knew what to expect; a fair course with a quality field with a chance to PB if you are in shape for it. Had run 18.44 in 2017 so was hoping to get close to that. I had been thinking about it during the day at had thoughts of "what's the worst that can happen if you go out hard". Decided to say balls to it and try and run about 1830.

KM1: 3.43 The start is a little chaotic with a sharp right about 100m is so started as far right as I could. Bit of a small drag up to the fly over of the N4 but nothing major. Felt decent and had one of the other Donore lads for company which was good as we are fairly neck and neck pace wise.

KM2: 3:37 Nice bit of tree cover here and a bit of a breeze so the temps wasn't stifling. Solid km if a little bit quick. Club mate about 2m ahead so was a case of follow the pace.

KM3: 3.46.....this is probably the only km that was a drag as you cross over the N4 before heading back to the village. Through 3km in 11.06 bang on where I needed to be. Pulled just ahead of my club mate just shy or the 3rd km. Knew if I got through the next km a PB was on.

KM4 3.44 Just worked hard on maintaining the pace and form here. Was working hard and the legs were starting to burn a bit; get through this though and the last km is just a guts it to the end.

KM5:3.36 Had company of a girl from Crusaders here she was looking strong (would eventually finish 3rd female) tried to stick with her for the first part of the last km. Good support here and the distance counting down is a great end to the race. Pushed away with about 500m to go and could see the clock from a couple of hundred meters out so was mentally calculating a but here....push it and sub 18.30 in on. Gave it pretty much all I could and got over the line in 18.26. Nice PB.

Big group from the club out so a decent cool down followed by a great spread and prizes for the lads including the team event.

Saturday and Sunday: Easy 5.5 on Saturday and a tired 10 and a bit this morning.

Next on the agenda will be the graded meeting in Tallaght on August 1st will give the 3000m a go all going well.

The big question now is can I get close to 18 for 5km by the end of the year and also get thay sub 40 10km off the back. Probably a distance I need to race a bit more to get comfortable with.

C.

Weekly Update 41 miles over 5 days. Only real show in town for me this week was the Kilcock 5k.

Monday day off running so got 20 minutes of stretching and resistance band work done at lunchtime. Not easy when it was so nice outside.

Tuesday: 6.3 miles @ 8.42 out nice and early before work. Down into Malahide around The Estuary back along the Swords road to work....wouldnt have taken much persuasion to have a swim as well.

Wendesay: Mini shake out session at the club 600m at race pace and 400 at mile pace; just the 2 reps so pushed it a bit. Had a bit of a chat with one of the more experienced lads about Kilcock and his advice was know your 3k split and just get the head down from there.

Thursday 4 miles @ 8.20 around the Swords/Malahide Estuary.

Friday Kilcock 5k had run this last year so knew what to expect; a fair course with a quality field with a chance to PB if you are in shape for it. Had run 18.44 in 2017 so was hoping to get close to that. I had been thinking about it during the day at had thoughts of "what's the worst that can happen if you go out hard". Decided to say balls to it and try and run about 1830.

KM1: 3.43 The start is a little chaotic with a sharp right about 100m is so started as far right as I could. Bit of a small drag up to the fly over of the N4 but nothing major. Felt decent and had one of the other Donore lads for company which was good as we are fairly neck and neck pace wise.

KM2: 3:37 Nice bit of tree cover here and a bit of a breeze so the temps wasn't stifling. Solid km if a little bit quick. Club mate about 2m ahead so was a case of follow the pace.

KM3: 3.46.....this is probably the only km that was a drag as you cross over the N4 before heading back to the village. Through 3km in 11.06 bang on where I needed to be. Pulled just ahead of my club mate just shy or the 3rd km. Knew if I got through the next km a PB was on.

KM4 3.44 Just worked hard on maintaining the pace and form here. Was working hard and the legs were starting to burn a bit; get through this though and the last km is just a guts it to the end.

KM5:3.36 Had company of a girl from Crusaders here she was looking strong (would eventually finish 3rd female) tried to stick with her for the first part of the last km. Good support here and the distance counting down is a great end to the race. Pushed away with about 500m to go and could see the clock from a couple of hundred meters out so was mentally calculating a but here....push it and sub 18.30 in on. Gave it pretty much all I could and got over the line in 18.26. Nice PB.

Big group from the club out so a decent cool down followed by a great spread and prizes for the lads including the team event.

Saturday and Sunday: Easy 5.5 on Saturday and a tired 10 and a bit this morning.

Next on the agenda will be the graded meeting in Tallaght on August 1st will give the 3000m a go all going well.

The big question now is can I get close to 18 for 5km by the end of the year and also get thay sub 40 10km off the back. Probably a distance I need to race a bit more to get comfortable with.

C.

That's a great week and a great race C. Really strong finish too. There's no doubt you'll nail the Sub 40 next time out. The 18 minute 5k... that's some target and I'm looking forward to following your progress as you go after it.

Thanks S I think that sub 18 is a mid term goal.....decent winter under my belt and it might be on next year.

Got to have goals to keep the mind focused. Sub 11 3000m the next one to aim for

Thanks S I think that sub 18 is a mid term goal.....decent winter under my belt and it might be on next year.

Got to have goals to keep the mind focused. Sub 11 3000m the next one to aim for

Based on yesterday, that's guaranteed! You were only 6 seconds outside it after 3k and still had enough left for 2 equally fast Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running C, a great PB. Sub 40 10k is definitely on for you.

Thanks A hope you are enjoying the holiday!

Great running C, a great PB. Sub 40 10k is definitely on for you.

Should be but still has to be earned. See how the next 4 weeks go and I might have a bash on running it at sub 18 5k pace.

Based on yesterday, that's guaranteed! You were only 6 seconds outside it after 3k and still had enough left for 2 equally fast Kms.

• Advertisement

Been really neglecting the log the past couple of weeks.

Short summary; is two solid weeks of sessions and averaging 45 miles per week. A couple of solo session which have been tough but have gotten them down.

Next plan race wise is hopefully 3k on the track in Santry at the start of August. So sessions are being geared towards that. Off on holidays on August 8th for 10 days so will be having some down time then.

Was thinking of doing the Mondello 10k. Any opinions of this one?

Will get back on track with the log this week. Should get through the 1000 mile mark for the year.

Weekly Update 47 miles for the week over 5 days.

Tuesday 8 miles @ 7.51 per mile. Steady run before work. A straight 4 miles out and back along the Coast road from Swords towards Portmarnock.

Wednesday: Session day just over 10 miles as ran from the house to the Polo Grounds.

Session was 2k (7.21) followed by 6 x 300 (1.02 working down to 58 secs) 2.45 between the 2k and 1 minute between the 300s.

Thursday: 6 miles at 8.02 around the Phoenix Park from the club.

Saturday am: Session on the Polos 6 Laps (approx 1km each) with 200m on followed by 200m jog recovery.

Saturday pm: Pub Run from the Club: Great afternoon/evening. Stage 1 Club to The Anglers Rest glass of Smithwicks #1. Stage 2: Anglers Rest to Myos; glass of Smithwicks #2 Stage 3: Myos to The Hole in the Wall bit of food and glass of Smithwicks #3. Stage 4: The Hole in the Wall to the club quick shower and change then over to The Mullingar House for a few pints and some food.

A few silly games thrown in at the pit stops made it a very enjoyable day. 13 miles for the day in total.

Sunday: Just under 9 miles at 7.51 had to run down to the club to collect the car so joined the lads for some of their long run was on the watch at home so 9 miles was enough.

Got through the 1000 mile mark for the year. Potentially giving the track a go on Wednesday dependant on work/stuff at home. Holidays coming up from 8th August so will train through to that.

C

That Pub Run sounds like a great bit of craic! I hope there are invites next year!! Haha

It would make a good boards meet up!
    That Pub Run sounds like a great bit of craic! I hope there are invites next year!! Haha

It would make a good boards meet up!

Now that's a plan! I'll leave it in your capable hands :D

Runners OCD kicked in so got 6 miles before work to hit 200 for July.

Weekly Update 33 miles over 4 days.

Work a bit mental the past week as taking two weeks off meant a few 11 hour days; always knew it would be a struggle to get out much during the week.

Tuesday: Easy 6 before work @ 8.13 per mile. Nice run from Swords around the Estuary added on a bit to reach 200 miles for the month.

Wednesday: Graded Meet Morton Stadium 3k. Caught a few of the early races and headed out for just over a 1 mile warm up.

Decent delay in the schedule so it was 2115 by the time the C/D Grade started. Hard to judge the standard so in my head I planned to do this at sub 18 5k pace which would be somewhere between 10.45 and 10.50 ish. Had only ever ran 3k on the Track once in Tallaght last year which was 11.07.
    Not really much of a race report but after about 600m I went past a lad from Crusaders who was leading the group I was in and got pretty isolated so it was really me against the clock. The main group were a good chunk ahead. Kept the pace and with 800 to go there were two Sportsworld runners about 1/2 a lap ahead used them as a target and was gaining on them for the rest of the race. They were in touching distance as we crossed the line. Finished in 10.47 happy with that and how strong I finished. Maybe that sub 18 5k is not a total pipe dream.

Great to run under the lights on the track.Really need to put more of these on the plan for next season. Not sure I could run more than 3k on the track but nice to do something different.

Thursday and Friday werr just taken up with work.

Saturday Session: 20 x 300m 1.04 and under for the reps and pushed the last few under the 60 seconds. Ran up and down to the session so almost 13 miles done.

Sunday: Steady 9.5 @ 7.52 loop of the Park.

Any week with a PB is decent so will take that. Off on holidays on Wednesday so will be a couple of low mileage weeks.....probably time for a bit of a break anyway.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running C. Enjoy the holiday.

Back on track after the holidays. Ended up taking a total break when I was away as the thoughts of getting up before 0700 on holidays to run wasn't appealing.

A shade over 49 miles for the week.

Monday: 6.6 miles at 07:58 loop of the Phoenix Park from the club good to get back out.

Tuesday: 7 miles @ 8.10 ran from the house through the Memorial Park and back along Conyghham Road stopped off at the club for a drink as it felt humid. A long couple of miles from there home as never really got going again.....got stung by a bloody wasp about a mile from home so that was a different end to the run.

Wednesday: Session on the Polos 8 x 1km with 2 minute 30 recoveries. Took it nice and steady on the first couple of kms before brining it down from mid 3.50s to mid 3.40s for the next 4 couple of quick ones to finish (3.39 and 3.28) tough after the break.

Thursday 6.8 @ 8.13. Loop from the house to the Island Bridge Gate of the Phoenix Park and up the Magazine Fort/S Bends to the Chepelizod Gate and home.

Saturday Session in the hills 4 Laps of a 2.3km loop in the hills above Shankhill very enjoyable and something different tough on the uphill sections and I need to learn how to run fast downhill!

Sunday: 12.6 @ 7.56 A departure from normal Sunday as the Phoenix Park is out of action. Ran a loop from Palmerstown up the Fonthill Road and onto the canal just before Clondalkin. Couple of miles on the Canal then looked back through Grange Castle. Can't say it was the most enjoyable route!

Good solid week back.

C

• Advertisement

Weekly Update shade over 47 miles for the week. Couple of annoying heel blisters for my trouble which is unusual.

Monday 5.4 @ 7.53 nice run around the Swords Estuary after work not much to report.

Tuesday 7 miles @ 7.51 Swords to Malahide via Malahide Castle Loop was under a bit of pressure time wise so this was a bit quicker than it should have been.

Wednesday having missed the club session on Tuesday it was a billy no mates effort on the Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park. Session was 5 x 1500m with 450m jog recoveries. Couple of laps for a warm up then the splits were

Splits were: 5:53;5:55;5:55;5:56 and 5:46 for the last one.

Happy with it but tough on your own. Couple of laps of the Polos to cool down.

Thursday went out the window with work.

Friday in a shock development I actually got out on Friday 7 miles at 8.07.

Saturday early Session on the Munich Loop in the Phoenix Park 14 x 400m on 200m recoveries. Good to get back on some hills.....tough enough and need to work on downhill technique. Afternoon spent at the zoo!

Sunday a tired run of just over 9 miles at 8.09.

A decent weeks work; travelling to the US with work next week so will just do what I can.

C

Advertisement