Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done. Sounds like a tough enough route, 5 mins is a massive improvement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 6/5/17 parkrun 32:03
    Splits: 6:14, 6:52, 6:44, 6:59, 6:19
    Not a bad parkrun. Walked Darkness into Light earlier that morning. Was cold and tired heading to parkrun so I wasn't too fussed about times or anything, just keep moving, see how it goes and don't be afraid to walk it. I wore a long sleeved top and my DIL tshirt and was roasted from 2km onwards!
    Just kept the pace easy and was happy enough with my time.

As I said above we did Darkness into Light, I've done it every year since it started in our town. I lost a friend to suicide 7 years ago. There was a huge crowd and we ended up starting near the back so we didn't even chance a jog, we just did a brisk walk along with the crowd.

My body is sore since later yesterday morn though. Did a fitness class on Fri eve, first one in a while and put in a good effort. DIL walk, snooze, then parkrun. I could hardly get up from the post parkrun breakfast table and since then i've been struggling with the stairs, getting in and out of car and reaching for things. Quads are sore, as are the muscles beside my armpits at the top of my boobs. Supposed to be breaking in a pair of heels for next weekend but I can barely stand in them atm.

Usually go for a run when I drop the youngster to athletics on a Monday evening. But with the legs still a little sore from the weekend, I decided to at least go for a walk and make the most of the weather.
    Brought the hubbie along as I wanted to use the local greenway but I didn't really want to go it alone. Nice enjoyable brisk walk. But I misjudged both the distance and time and with 1.5km to go I realised we were going to be late collecting the child so I pegged it the rest of the way!
    9km (7.5km walked, 1.5km ran) 1hr 26 mins

Crazy busy week ahead, not sure when I'm going to get out next.
    Next event lined up is the VHI women's mini marathon June bank holiday monday, looking forward to this again this year. There is a local 5km and 5mile on the Thurs before it. I'm tempted with the 5mile as I've never taken part in one before.

Lastly, I've found my next pair of shoes, I just need to find the time to actually buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done on an eventful weekend. A busy one!

Hope your aches and pains have gone.

6.4km 44mins 28 secs
    Splits: 6:26, 7:01, 7:18, 6:48, 6:54, 6:36 (0.4)

Or 4 miles in old money! Been a bit MIA on the running front this past week, busy with life, energy levels were low so a few things had to give. Wrecked after a busy weekend, I knew I had to get out for some sort of a run this evening. Also got my new runners at last and needed to start breaking them in for the Mini-Marathon. So I changed things up a little and set my watch to miles instead of kms (I'm wild I know!).
    Wasn't a bad run, still tired and low on energy and it was a humid evening, coulda done with bringing a little drink.

• Advertisement

Sometimes its hard to fit everything in so well done on getting out for a run yesterday.

Not a completely lazy week last week.

Weds eve I usually help with the coaches in the juvenile section of my son's athletics club. However they were seriously short on coaches and I ended up being given 9 or 10 kids to bring cross country training! Eh I've never done any xc training with kids before, I've never even run a xc race myself! There's a route on the grounds that I'm familiar with that's used for xc training. So I got the kids to do 2 laps clockwise then 2 laps anti clockwise with rest in between. I ran with the smaller ones to keep them going and stop messers along the way.
    4 x 900m approx. 30mins.

Fri eve out to the GAA clubhouse gym for a HIIT session with pyramids. Good session, getting up and down from the mat was quite draining!

Sat 4.8km (3mile) 32:02
    Splits: 6:11, 6:37, 6:44, 6:37, 6:39 (0.8)
    Sat morning is usually parkrun. But we had to be away early to a communion. So I snuck out early for a 3 mile loop near the house which I haven't run in ages. I had forgotten to switch my watch back from miles so I had to stick with it. Wasn't expecting it to be a fairly warm run, phone told me at 8:30am it was 12c. Also kinda buzzing that I was up so early on a Sat morn for a run. Don't worry I made up for it later in the day with a few glasses of wine and a fine feed!

Usually on a Mon eve the young fella has athletics and I take this opportunity to go for a run, I can manage to get 10k in plus warm up/cool down. I help the AC on a Weds eve but wasn't going to be able to make it this week, and with coach numbers low this past while I said I'd help out Mon eve this week. Turns out they were ok for coaches but I couldn't exactly slink off then having volunteered! It wasn't a waste of time, it's very rewarding and the kids are great!

Anyway I got home, before 9, got a few jobs done around the house and near 9:30pm I was seriously itching for a run! Went out for 3km, it started to rain 0.5km out but I wasn't for turning! Ok 7km less than what I had planned for that day but I guess a run is a run.
    3km 20:39
    Splits: 6:08, 6:41, 6:39
    First km is downhill.

My calendar in work has the follow phrase on it which has resonated with me:
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up

Saturday 5km parkrun 30:30 (30:41 per parkrun as my watch wasn't ready at start)
    Splits: 5:51, 5:46, 6:20, 6:44, 6:15

It was a rotten morning, after being spoiled the previous few days with the weather. Had seriously thought about not doing it but I realised that I've often run in the rain in winter and survived, you can't just decide not to do a run just cos it's raining and you'll get wet - what if it was race day, are you not going to take part cos it's raining?! I knew the person doing run director and I wanted to be there in support of him. Very small field due to the weather so I'm glad that I did turn up.
    Yes it was wet rain, got soaked through but the conditions underfoot were good. While I was wondering what on earth was I doing: running out in the rain at 9:30 on a Saturday morning, I just kept moving, thinking the sooner I finish the sooner myself and the volunteers get out of the rain.
    Happy enough with that run and that time.

• Advertisement

Well done on your parkrun. It would have been easy to pull out of it given the dreadful weather.

Mon 29/05 10.1km 1hr 14 mins 39 sec
    Splits: 6:57, 6:59, 7:47, 6:45, 7:14, 7:58, 7:38, 7:09, 7:40, 7:37, 6:15 (0.1)
    One of those runs I knew I had to do but didn't want to do it! I was wrecked tired, had a very busy weekend, busier than I had planned
    I had only set out about 500m and already felt so drained. It was warm out, I had a tshirt and long leggings on but the dull clouds had me fooled. The whole run was stop and start, run to an estate entrance, a side road, a business premises entrance etc, walk a little bit and then try and run again. My music playlist didn't help either, it was some 90's/00's playlist but it seemed to be all RnB: Missy Elliott, Lil' Kim etc which wouldn't be my thing. During my walking breaks I was taking the phone out to change songs. At the 5km turning point I just changed playlist altogether and that was one less thing to contend with then!
    Around the 8km it cooled down a bit, it was around 8pm at that stage, song came on by (the late) Robert Miles - Children so that km at least I did enjoy out of the 10!
    Didn't feel like a good run but I completed it, the time didn't look too bad - probably what an easy 10k time should be for me but it felt anything but easy by effort. I'm signed up to a 5mile race later in the week, I've actually never run a 5 mile race before, there doesn't be too many of those around these parts so I couldn't pass up the opporunity. I'm probably foolish running it when I'm also doing the mini marathon in Dublin next Monday!

Thurs 01/06/2017 8km (5 mile) 50 mins 57sec
    Splits: 5:42, 5:53, 6:14, 6:23, 6:27, 6:27, 6:38, 6:45

A local area was hosting a 5km and 5 mile event. By rights I should have registered for the 5km as I'm doing the mini marathon on Monday but the fact that 5 mile races are hard to come by around here and the allure of a medal was too much!
    Was a wet miserable day all day but it eased up a little for the race, to be honest I didn't really notice much about the weather other than it was actually decent enough running weather.

The 5 mile was starting a bit further away from the event HQ. I walked up the road and there was a good crowd gathered. I bumped into a few faces I know from other events and chatted while I did a few stretches. I surveyed the crowd around me and felt a bit out of my depth to be honest. Was hoping I wouldn't get swept along with the crowd too much at the start and go out too fast.

Very timely start. First km was downhill which I knew it would be, just went with the fall of the road but tried not to get swept along too much with the crowd. It took a while to get settled into a pace. The 2nd km the road was still descending but the pack was starting to spread out and everyone was settling into their paces by then. I slotted in a bit behind a guy in a bright tshirt who was doing a similar pace to myself but steady. The road had levelled out by the start of the 3rd km. 3rd km was a long straight with a bit of a drag. Still along a road I knew so this was fine. Turned off the road just before the end of this 3km and now in unchartered territories.

Along the 4th km I was aware of a car behind me with hazards and I thought oh no this is the tail car and I'm last! I caught up a bit further to bright tshirt guy. The car passed me and made it's way further up the road, it turned out it wasn't a tail car. I took a quick glance over my shoulder and seen that there was at least one other person behind me so I knew I wasn't last. At the 4km mark there was water and jelly babies so grabbed a jelly baby. Along the 5th km I kept abreast with bright tshirt guy and started chatting to pass the time, distract myself from the running and thinking.

We got to the 5km mark, around a corner and there was this big climb infront of me! It was my first knock of the race and brought me down to a walking pace. Once I got to the top of the hill I gave myself a talking to, put my game face back on and made my way back to bright tshirt guy. I did settle back into my run again, few chats with the guy and looking around at local houses for distraction. I think it was along this km that I passed out a few people, I was secretly glad that I wasn't in last place! At about the 6.5km mark we were meeting the walkers from the 5km race so there was a bit of weaving.

Then I got to the 7km mark, 1km to go. I could see the church near the finish. I pulled away a little from bright tshirt guy. I don't know what happened me then. The road just kept climbing, there were a lot of people walking and I found it harder to catch my breath. I was trying to take deep breaths but was getting nothing from it (if that makes any sense!). Stopped for a bit of walking trying to get my breath back but when I starting running again I found it difficult again to breath and I knew I should have slowed up but I was so near the finish and I wanted to press on. At the 7.5km mark one of the ladies I passed earlier passed me by, gave me a bit of encouragement which was lovely and appreciated. I struggled to the finish with a few more walking breaks. It really was a sh1t last km, I just fell apart, I was disappointed in myself as I had done so well up to then.

But still delighted with my time. I wasn't sure what time to expect with it being my first 5mile race, wanted less than 55 mins and hoped for nearer to 50 mins so was delighted to get just under 51 mins.

But on a related note I'm so proud I could burst!! :D Little Sunny Dayz was 3rd overall in the 5km!! Couldn't believe it, now in fairness a lot of the adults racers did the 5 mile but to come 3rd and beat plenty more adults 2 and 3 times his age was great!

Well done on your first 5 mile race. It is always difficult to get the pace right first time out so you did great to finish in 51 minutes. Your splits give no indication that you were struggling near the end. Great report.

A very big well done to your son. 3rd place is great. No stopping him now.

Good luck in the mini marathon. I am doing it too although I will be walking it with my daughter as I do every year. She cannot run and I would not leave her behind me. Looking forward to the day. Always a great event.

Mon 05/06/17 10k 1hr 3 mins 10 sec (per watch) - PB!!
    Splits: 6:22, 6:07, 6:13, 6:09, 6:27, 6:29, 6:14, 6:44, 6:25, 6:15

Gosh I think this is my 5th year to do this. Welcomed the change of route for a change of scenery. Got to Dublin earlier than expected, so went for tea and a donut (great race prep!). Made my way over to the bag drop really early as I was hugely delayed there last year, sailed through, bag search this year. Made my way into the pink pen and it was only 12:30! Settled in near the front, sat down and rest for a bit, chatting. About 1:15 I decided I better visit the loo for a quick pee, bad idea - the queues were massive. I ended up going to the porta at the very end of the pink section as the queue was shortest and when I got out, made my way as best I could back up through the crowds near to the top of the pink section. Probably should have warmed up better but there was no room and no point in doing warm up earlier. Just did what I could, rotating ankles, up on tip toes to stretch calves.

1 km: And we're off. A good start, it was great being nearer the front for a change. Went with the flow of the crowd. The first corner onto Leeson St was tight, I don't know how people didn't trip up there, congested going over the bridge. Then it started to easy out a bit, you could have your bit of room. It made such a change not to be weaving amongst walkers.

2 km: My son had suggested I set the virtual pace on my garmin, I didn't even know it existed, and it was starting to annoy me beeping, "on pace" "ahead of pace". On into Donnybrook, there was a lovely smell of food. The firemen didn't soak up with their hoses :(

3km : Was still doing fine, going at a decent pace, hoping I could sustain it though. Watch not annoying me as much anymore.

4km : Heading out the stillorgan dual carriageway now. Was just approaching when the leader was turning off onto Nutley lane, she had a good gap ahead. The UCD flyover was next - this got me every year and I wasn't gonna let it this year!

5km : I just about made it, got to the very end of the slip road after the rise and succumbed to a walk for about 150/200m. We then turned and were heading back for town again.

6 km: Facing the UCD flyer again. Much better attempt at it this time. Water station before Nutley turn, I took a cup and walked while I enjoyed the cold water, lost some time here.

7Km : Down along Nutley Lane. Passed a 6km marker here but my watch said 6.4km! Bit out! One thing I didn't notice here and I always do is the hospital, there's usually staff and patients at the gates cheering people on and it usually brings a lump to my throat, but going the other direction I'm shamed to say I didn't notice the hospital, I was more distracted by the big sign with messages (which didn't appear to be working for a bit).

8 km : Starting to get tired and struggle a bit. Down to another little walk for 100m at the 8km mark.

9 km : Pick up a bit going past the RDS and through Ballsbridge, the support along there was great. Focussing on those around me and trying to keep pace with a few. It's something I found I wasn't really able to do in this race, I didn't manage to zone on anyone doing a similar enough pace along with me.

10km : Gosh this was tough, so near and yet so far. They could do with markers for 750m, 500m, 250m 100m just to give (me) the last push. I was really struggling. I had to slow to a walk again, take a bit more water. My watch told me it was 1hr and I had 9.5km done so I had to give myself a proverbial kick up the backside and get moving, I could be on for a 10pb.

The clock went over 1:03 as I was approaching it. Delighted with that. A new 10k pb!! Looked at my watch and it said 9.97km - damn! Got a cup of water and looked around. Lots of groups and people congratulating each other, I knew no one and didn't know if anyone else was running, I knew a couple of people were walking. I didn't hang about, it was starting to rain, got my medal and made my way to the baggage area. I'm not gonna lie, I did feel a bit lonely still seeing people celebrating, hugging and taking photos. I just made my way back to Grafton St where I met with hubbie and son.

Reflection: Kicking myself a little with the few walking breaks. On the one hand maybe I could have pushed on, not listened to the head, but on the other hand, maybe I needed a little breather just to be able to carry on at a good pace. First time I've run the mini marathon and felt fine after - in the past I've had digestive issues and even puked on the Luas one year. Just had a nibble of a plain bagel in traffic and got a Chinese takeaway when I got home. The virtual pacer my son suggested for the watch was a good help I have to admit, thanks to him for that, he helped me get my pb. He was a bit disappointed that I didn't listen to the playlist he made for me on spotify.

Super effort, congrats on the PB:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well done on the PB :)

Well done Sunny Dayz. Congrats on your PB. You had a great run by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sounds like you had a really good run. Don't mind the few short walk breaks they were very short and soon you'll be able to run 10k without stopping but its all part of the process.
    I've often felt like that at the end of races when I didn't know anyone else running but being here on Boards and last year joining a club has really helped and now i know lots of people at the races.

Well done on the PB.

Not much running done in the past week.

Weds did about 1.5km, few laps around the track with the young fella after athletics training, chatting as we go. It was nice and enjoyable.

Sat 5km parkrun 32:14
    Splits: 6:15, 6:42, 6:35, 7:16, 6:44
    An ok run I guess. Felt tired having woken up a few times that night with a cough. I had also done a gym session the evening before. The weather got up warm when the sun came out a few times. Still it was completed and breakfast was enjoyed afterward!

Sun - there was a 10k on that I got nabbed to marshal at, I couldn't say no. It was good to be on the other side of things for a change, got me thinking that perhaps it should be an unwritten rule that you should volunteer to help out for at least one race a year.

There's a lot going on over the next 3 weeks, it's going to be fun trying to squeeze some running in too!

• Advertisement

Mon 12/06/17 11.5km 1hr 21min 13 sec
    Splits: 7:29, 6:42, 7:14, 6:54, 6:36, 6:52, 7:06, 7:07, 6:54, 6:55, 7:36, 7:05 (0.5)

I usually get out for a longish run while the young lad is at training. I originally planned a 10k route which I've done a few times. But 2km out I knew I'd need a pee and there's no toilet facilities along that route so switched to another route which was 8km in total with facilities. It was a nice evening for a run, overcast, nice gentle breeze now and again. Heading back to car I was trying to figure out what extra bit to do to at least bring me over the 10km mark. I decided as the young lad's training is beside the parkrun route that I would do that, and I could log a freedom run for parkrun. I knew himself would be finished training before I was finished the parkrun and was hoping he would join me. But no he wasn't interested so I cut it short with 2km left on the parkrun course. I think it was just as well, I was starting to feel tired myself, that's why I was hoping he would run with me, a bit of company would have made it easier.
    But I'm still happy to have done 11.5km when I originally set out to do 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

11.5km on a Monday, good going!!

WAAAAY overdue an update on my log! I've still been running, not as much as I should have been and it's tough trying to fit things in around life.

16/06/17 4.5km 30:20
    Splits: 6:10, 6:23, 6:35, 7:07, 7:14 (0.5)
    This was actually 5km but I was away visiting my inlaws and phone and gps reception there isn't great and couldn't get signal for 500m. My inlaws thought I was mad getting up early to go out for a run before starting my day!

21/06/17 5.1km 37:52
    Splits: 6:58, 7:44, 7:15, 7:15, 7:30, 6:08 (0.1)
    This was quite late in the evening. I just couldn't get a chance to get out anytime for a run and the weather was very warm out. Even at 9:30 at night, it was still very humid for this run. Plus I had been to a bbq earlier and enjoyed some wine!

22/06/2017 7.6km 55:09
    Splits: 6:50, 7:00, 7:43, 7:15, 6:55, 7:32, 7:45, 6:55 (0.6)
    I knew I had to do a long run this week but was really struggling to fit it in. I shouldn't have gone out for a run the evening before I had planned a morning 13km! However I was only just gone a km when hubbie text to say he had to go out and we had someone due to call over that morning. So I (gladly) cut this run short to just under an hour. Secretly I was glad of the get-out clause, I wasn't really feeling it.

27/06/17 3.3km 25:24
    Splits: 7:17, 7:45, 8:18, 6:58 (0.3)
    Was on holidays, brought my runners with me so had to put them to use! Took it nice and slow, nice to see other people running slowly also! I had planned 1.5km in one direction and turn to make it 3km but at 1km the road starting dropping quite a bit, what goes down must also come up so I chickened out of the hill and went down the road past the hotel to make up the extra distance. Felt smug after that one!

29/06/17 3.2km 24:02
    Splits: 7:18, 7:36, 7:18, 7:18 (0.2)
    Still on holidays abroad, got up earlier for my run, gosh you know you're getting sensible and old when you go for a run on your holidays and there are people heading home from their night out! Decided to tackle the hill I avoided the previous morning and was rewarded with a lovely view at the bottom of the hill out on the beach and a better ascent of the hill than I was expecting. However the smugness was wiped from my face when I tripped up at 2km, grazed my knee and my right arm felt sore as it jerked forward on the fall. The joys of well worn cobbled paths along the Med.

01/07/17 5km 30:56
    Splits: 6:06, 6:32, 6:13, 6:55, 5:49
    Back home and back to parkrun, gosh I had missed it! My half marathon training plan conveniently called for a 5km race on this day so I decided I would try and race it and aim for sub 30 mins! Was happy enough with my run up to the 3km mark, but for some reason my 4th km was a lot slower, I felt I was moving but couldn't believe when my watch was saying how slow I was actually going cos by effort it didn't feel that slow! Last km I made a push to get the run under 31 mins. Little disappointed to be honest but I'll put it down to being busy the past while and tired after flying the day before.

So there was bit of a round up.

I did something silly earlier in the year...I registered for the Rock n Roll half marathon back in March when there was a huge discount floating about for it. I've been very loosely trying to follow HH nov2 plan. However July is looking like a quiet month socially so I hoping to get back on track, rack up some long runs and at least be able to finish the run (secretly I'd love 2hr 30 or less). So please feel free to boot me up the hole and get me out training. I don't really want to tell any family or friends incase they a) think I'm mad and b) expect me to do really well.

Hi Sunny Dayz. Well done on your running last month.

I will be your voice in the wilderness telling you to get out on your training runs for the half marathon cos I will be telling myself the same thing! So far behind in training but determined to do it. I was hoping for a 2hr 30 or less finish too and secretly still hoping for it but will see how things go between now and the 14th of August.

Good luck with it, keep running.

Weds 05/07/17 5km 35 mins
    Splits: 6:52, 6:58, 7:217, 6:41, 6:49
    One of those runs where I wasn't in the humour, could have very easily not done it but in the end was glad I got out. Busy few days after being back at work, trying to bring home a load of turf each evening so this run was a late one and I was already sweaty and dirty before my run, thank god I didn't meet anyone along the way! Feeling pretty tired.

Sun (morn) 14.6km 1hr 47min 51sec
    Splits: 7:29, 7:17, 7:24, 7:11, 7:54, 7:22, 7:35, 7:22, 7:29, 7:15, 7:16, 7:32, 7:43, 7:10, 6:17 (0.6)
    Hadn't really stuck to the plan this week, missed 2 mid week runs in favour of bringing home the turf! I had to get this long run in or it was looking bad for the half next month. The hardest part of the run was actually getting the time for it and getting myself out of bed and out the door. The actual run itself was good, I ran - not slow - but slow slow, looked like no more than a shuffle. But I found that it was manageable and I hardly had to take walking breaks, mainly wen there was traffic or having a drink. I brought a small bottle of water with me but after 10k the water was warm and not nice! Haven't done anything about fuelling during the race, I've only had water. I had half a bagel and small orange juice half an hour before my run. I was short with my route plan, I got back near the house with 1.5 km to go so I knew what 1 km was from the house so went out that way for 1km and when I turned back for home I decided to give the legs a push and simulate the race finish, push for the last 500m on tired legs with a little climb. It was surprisingly do-able.

Must make more of an effort to get some runs done during this week. Also will need to figure out the long run next weekend, we have a rare night out on Sat, I don't fancy a hungover 16km sunday morn but sat morn I'm volunteering at parkrun.

Well done on your LSR, your distance and pace are almost identical to mine yesterday.

Looks like we will both be ready to Rock & Roll on the 13th of August. Good luck with your training this week.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Sun (morn) 14.6km 1hr 47min 51sec
    Splits: 7:29, 7:17, 7:24, 7:11, 7:54, 7:22, 7:35, 7:22, 7:29, 7:15, 7:16, 7:32, 7:43, 7:10, 6:17 (0.6)
    Hadn't really stuck to the plan this week, missed 2 mid week runs in favour of bringing home the turf! I had to get this long run in or it was looking bad for the half next month. The hardest part of the run was actually getting the time for it and getting myself out of bed and out the door. The actual run itself was good, I ran - not slow - but slow slow, looked like no more than a shuffle. But I found that it was manageable and I hardly had to take walking breaks, mainly wen there was traffic or having a drink. I brought a small bottle of water with me but after 10k the water was warm and not nice! Haven't done anything about fuelling during the race, I've only had water. I had half a bagel and small orange juice half an hour before my run. I was short with my route plan, I got back near the house with 1.5 km to go so I knew what 1 km was from the house so went out that way for 1km and when I turned back for home I decided to give the legs a push and simulate the race finish, push for the last 500m on tired legs with a little climb. It was surprisingly do-able.

Must make more of an effort to get some runs done during this week. Also will need to figure out the long run next weekend, we have a rare night out on Sat, I don't fancy a hungover 16km sunday morn but sat morn I'm volunteering at parkrun.

Well done on the LSR. Good going. You will be flying for RnR.

Re. fuelling now is the time to start thinking about it. I did my first half last yr. My longest LSR was 18km and i didn't need any fuel just sips of water for that. But on race day, it was warmer and at about 18km i felt desperate for something. The water stations had all run out :mad: i was gasping for a drink. In the end i had to ask a girl for a sip of her lucozade, i was really desperate, i just took a couple of sips and it did the trick to perk me up and thankfully even though i've never drank lucozade before it was fine on my tummy. It was a rookie mistake not to carry something myself even water and a handful of jelly beans. I didn't anticipate the water stations running out. I finished in 2:09:xx so i was probably a similar level to you now.

ariana` wrote: »

Re. fuelling now is the time to start thinking about it. I did my first half last yr. My longest LSR was 18km and i didn't need any fuel just sips of water for that. But on race day, it was warmer and at about 18km i felt desperate for something. The water stations had all run out :mad: i was gasping for a drink. In the end i had to ask a girl for a sip of her lucozade, i was really desperate, i just took a couple of sips and it did the trick to perk me up and thankfully even though i've never drank lucozade before it was fine on my tummy. It was a rookie mistake not to carry something myself even water and a handful of jelly beans. I didn't anticipate the water stations running out. I finished in 2:09:xx so i was probably a similar level to you now.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but thanks for that advice Ariana. I will take it on board for the R & R.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »

Thanks for that. Yeah I tend to carry a small water bottle with me for runs. I've found that I've used it as a crutch almost, and have weaned myself off it for shorter runs. Still need a sip during parkrun so I leave it along the course. I usually carry water in races incase there's no water available, which is often the case on a 5k.
    As my husband says: "It's better to have it and not look for it than to look for it and not have it"

Advertisement