Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-08-2019, 19:14   #106
Joe_ Public
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 9,140
Very disappointing. Only one chance left now and thats in the Nations Cup final in Barcelona in october. When you look at the Europe Division 1 nations, its only ourselves and Italy who havent made Olympic qualification yet. Not too sure what other nations will be in there with them fighting it out.
Joe_ Public is offline  
Advertisement
23-08-2019, 22:20   #107
Pierre de Coubertin
Registered User
 
Pierre de Coubertin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 59
It's tragic. Akin to the Kenyans not qualifying a steeplechaser.

And sorry, I know there is one more chance in Barcelona but the 4 who competed this week have no chance there.

Maybe in the equestrian events we are more of a nation of dealers and producers. When it comes to the crunch (Olympics) we are not at the races.
Pierre de Coubertin is offline  
25-08-2019, 14:29   #108
locum-motion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre de Coubertin View Post
.... When it comes to the crunch (Olympics) we are not at the races.
That’s the problem. We are at the races. Flat races. National Hunt races. Mixed meetings with both types of races.

We’re so fcuking obsessed with races in this country that our equestrian resources are all focused there, not show jumping. Or cross country.

(Note I didn’t mention dressage. Dressage is just silly and deserves zero resources!)
locum-motion is offline  
26-08-2019, 13:29   #109
Oldira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre de Coubertin View Post
It's tragic. Akin to the Kenyans not qualifying a steeplechaser.

And sorry, I know there is one more chance in Barcelona but the 4 who competed this week have no chance there.

Maybe in the equestrian events we are more of a nation of dealers and producers. When it comes to the crunch (Olympics) we are not at the races.

Well all the Irish team have to do is finish ahead of Italy. The other countries not qualified are nations like Norway, Portugal,UAE and other lesser lights.

Surely to God they cant fail there?
Oldira is online now  
26-08-2019, 14:43   #110
Oldira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 271
Ireland have had a sold start to the World Rowing Championships which is the main qualifying event for Tokyo 2020.

Our two main hopes for qualification in the Mens Lightweight Double Sculls and Womens single sculls easily won their heats. Our next best hope in the mens Double sculls also won their heat.
The womens pair who have a reasonjable chance of qualification and they finished 2nd in their heat and are straight through to the Q/F. The Womens 4 have a slight chance of making it. They nee to be in the top 8 of 16 crews. They finished 3rd in their heat and go in the repechage tomorrow where 3 of 5 boats will qualify for S/F.
Oldira is online now  
Advertisement
30-08-2019, 17:16   #111
catchup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 90
From Liam Gorman in today's Irish Times:
Three boats qualified for Tokyo 2020 and one medal won. The Ireland team are thriving at the World Rowing Championships – and there are still two days of finals to go.
Katie O’Brien took bronze in the PR2 pararowing on her 23rd birthday.
“To medal at the World Championships is something I’ve always aimed for,” the Galway woman said. “To achieve that today is kind of a good birthday present!”
She has her eyes on the Paralympic Games, should she be able to find a male partner with a similar lower limb disability.
Sanita Puspure and the men’s double joined the lightweight double by qualifying their boats for Tokyo. And, like Fintan McCarthy and Paul O’Donovan on Thursday, they did it by winning their semi-finals.
Both crews did the damage in the middle 1,000 metres. Puspure edged away from the pack at 500 metres. She led her main rival, Emma Twigg of New Zealand, by just under a length at 1,000 metres, then pulled that out to over a boat length at 1,500 metres.
Puspure won in a faster time than Kara Kohler of the US had clocked in the first semi.
The double of Philip Doyle and Ronan Byrne are a confident young crew – Byrne is just 21 – and gave an assured performance. They matched New Zealand early on, used the middle stages to take the lead and then held off the final charges of Britain and Romania to win by just under a second. It was Romania rather than the fancied British who took second and they roared with joy.
Doyle and Byrne sat mutely on the green water on this course beside the Danube and took their time to recover. Like Puspure, their minds will now be on Sunday and their final. And maybe a little thought will be given to Tokyo.
catchup is offline  
Thanks from:
30-08-2019, 17:21   #112
Strazdas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchup View Post
From Liam Gorman in today's Irish Times:
Three boats qualified for Tokyo 2020 and one medal won. The Ireland team are thriving at the World Rowing Championships – and there are still two days of finals to go.
Katie O’Brien took bronze in the PR2 pararowing on her 23rd birthday.
“To medal at the World Championships is something I’ve always aimed for,” the Galway woman said. “To achieve that today is kind of a good birthday present!”
She has her eyes on the Paralympic Games, should she be able to find a male partner with a similar lower limb disability.
Sanita Puspure and the men’s double joined the lightweight double by qualifying their boats for Tokyo. And, like Fintan McCarthy and Paul O’Donovan on Thursday, they did it by winning their semi-finals.
Both crews did the damage in the middle 1,000 metres. Puspure edged away from the pack at 500 metres. She led her main rival, Emma Twigg of New Zealand, by just under a length at 1,000 metres, then pulled that out to over a boat length at 1,500 metres.
Puspure won in a faster time than Kara Kohler of the US had clocked in the first semi.
The double of Philip Doyle and Ronan Byrne are a confident young crew – Byrne is just 21 – and gave an assured performance. They matched New Zealand early on, used the middle stages to take the lead and then held off the final charges of Britain and Romania to win by just under a second. It was Romania rather than the fancied British who took second and they roared with joy.
Doyle and Byrne sat mutely on the green water on this course beside the Danube and took their time to recover. Like Puspure, their minds will now be on Sunday and their final. And maybe a little thought will be given to Tokyo.
Very impressive : all three Tokyo qualifiers won their semi finals in the process
Strazdas is offline  
30-08-2019, 17:23   #113
catchup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 90
And two more crews racing tomorrow with Tokyo chances. One probable and one possible.
catchup is offline  
Thanks from:
31-08-2019, 13:07   #114
Strazdas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchup View Post
And two more crews racing tomorrow with Tokyo chances. One probable and one possible.
Aileen Crowley & Monika Dukarska qualify for Tokyo, making it boat No. 4 to get through. It's been a great week so far.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rowing/2019...qualification/
Strazdas is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2019, 20:55   #115
Skid X
Registered User
 
Skid X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20,091
Paul O'Donovan and Fintan McCarthy looked very impressive today in winning Gold in the Lightweight Double Sculls. And huge competition to get a seat in the boat.

High hopes for that event in Tokyo. A lot can change in 11 months but they looked the part today.
Skid X is offline  
Thanks from:
31-08-2019, 21:45   #116
Strazdas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid X View Post
Paul O'Donovan and Fintan McCarthy looked very impressive today in winning Gold in the Lightweight Double Sculls. And huge competition to get a seat in the boat.

High hopes for that event in Tokyo. A lot can change in 11 months but they looked the part today.
Yes, won the semi and won the final convincingly.....big medal contenders, especially when you look at Paul's consistency
Strazdas is offline  
01-09-2019, 13:37   #117
Strazdas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,058
Great gold medal for Sanita Puspure......left it late enough but came powering through in the last 500m
Strazdas is offline  
Thanks from:
03-09-2019, 00:05   #118
catchup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 90
A Silver medal for the Men’s Open Weight Double Sculls of Ronan Byrne, Cork, and Philip Doyle, Banbridge, at the World Rowing Championships.
That’s 4 boats qualified for Tokyo and 3 of them on target for Gold! Exciting times.
catchup is offline  
03-09-2019, 08:51   #119
finbarrk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,761
Whats the story with the boxing? Is it going to be on there I wonder?
finbarrk is online now  
03-09-2019, 09:20   #120
Dodge
Registered User
 
Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,708
Yes. European qualifying tournament in London in March. Final chance at a world qualifier in Paris in May

8 men’s weights. 5 women’s weights. We should have a strong team with 7-9 qualifiers not too optimistic
Dodge is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet