Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for address

Options
  • 18-01-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Looking for advice.

I'm legally separated since 1992 (as separated as you could be at the time!). No children involved, all assets divided equally. I'm now looking to divorce. I will be going down the DIY route as I won't be able to afford Solicitor's fee's etc. I haven't actually seen my ex-wife since 1992, I have met some family members in passing but that's about it. I will need her address in order to send correspondence. I have tried to contact her on Facebook but she seems to have blocked me! I have no idea where she is living now but assume it's still in the same County. Can anyone tell me who could I talk to about getting her address. And how much I could be looking at?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You will need a private investigator to track her down and a process server to serve the documents. I have no idea as to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SF2021

Was thinking that, I'll look into it. Thanks for reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

Find her mother father and sisters

In photos you can
    Look up where they are taken they are tagged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

SF2021 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking for advice.

I'm legally separated since 1992 (as separated as you could be at the time!). No children involved, all assets divided equally. I'm now looking to divorce. I will be going down the DIY route as I won't be able to afford Solicitor's fee's etc. I haven't actually seen my ex-wife since 1992, I have met some family members in passing but that's about it. I will need her address in order to send correspondence. I have tried to contact her on Facebook but she seems to have blocked me! I have no idea where she is living now but assume it's still in the same County. Can anyone tell me who could I talk to about getting her address. And how much I could be looking at?!

Thanks.

You met family members in passing so you should have a fair idea where they live? I doubt all the family members you knew when you were married have moved house. Just ask them to pass on your details as I would imagine she would like a bit of full closure as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

you do not need to hire a PI and you probably shouldnt, after that long, you dont know where they are, I think you can state that, just go to citizens advice bureau and ask to speak to someone.
    I'm sure they can help you and that you could keep the costs down, by going the route of diy divorce to some extent. I wouldn't even go looking for her family, its not their business and they may not want to know, she may not want them to know. You tried, no response, you don't know where she is, that'd be my take on it, citizens advice may be available over the phone or by zoom online meeting, but possibly not in person for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Hi there,

Looking for advice.

Thanks.
    The problem you may have here is you need to ensure that she is quite happy to divide the assets 50/50. She may have a different view from talking to people getting “ guidance” etc. She needs to complete affidavits etc re her present means etc regardless. It can be done for 1500.
    That’s based on NO outstanding issues. It’s a rubber stamp exercise in court usually.
    DIY , is not suitable if there is no 100 per cent agreement. a call to the circuit court office may advise on not being able to give her notice of the proceedings . That’s as far as I know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

maybe try the Register of Electors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you can't afford a solicitor, you certainly can't afford a Private Investigator! The usual way to track someone down is to find friends or people who knew them at school. You will eventually find one with an up to date email or phone number. Find out if she owns a car or is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SF2021

Thanks for all the replies.

Both of her parents have passed away. I know where one of her siblings lives but didn't want to just turn up on the doorstep. I would also prefer to not get others involved. I have tried to reach her on Messenger and explained why I just needed her address but got no reply. I tried sending a Friend request but that was refused. I would have thought that she would want a clean break as well!
    Regarding assets, all that was sorted in 1992. I don't have much anyway so not worried about that! The Register of Electors requires the line of an address so no luck there. I haven't a clue how much a Private Investigator would cost or what it would involve. I'm have emailed a few so I'll see what happens. I'll contact citizens advice as well. If all else fails I'll have to call to her sibling. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Thanks for all the replies.

Both of her parents have passed away. I know where one of her siblings lives but didn't want to just turn up on the doorstep. I would also prefer to not get others involved. I have tried to reach her on Messenger and explained why I just needed her address but got no reply. I tried sending a Friend request but that was refused. I would have thought that she would want a clean break as well!
    Regarding assets, all that was sorted in 1992. I don't have much anyway so not worried about that! The Register of Electors requires the line of an address so no luck there. I haven't a clue how much a Private Investigator would cost or what it would involve. I'm have emailed a few so I'll see what happens. I'll contact citizens advice as well. If all else fails I'll have to call to her sibling. Thanks again.

If you knopw where the siblin is, try and chat up a neighbour of the sibling. Wait till the sibling has left the house. Approach a talkative neighbour and say you are trying to find the sibling. Say you are a distant cousin . Mention the parents and say you are trying to find the grave of your great aunt. Ask about other family members. The neighbour may mention that she has a sister in x place.
    Find out if your x visits the sister or vice versa.
    If the sister has a car put a tracker on it if she is known to visit the sister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If the sister has a car put a tracker on it if she is known to visit the sister.

I cannot imagine that this would be legal..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

A very experienced private investigator told me of his system
    Assume the person you seek is YYY.

For obvious reasons people in pubs are reluctant to answer direct questions from strangers re identities of locals.

When pubs reopen you visit a local bar at a busy time. Tell the bar-man in the hearing of others that when you were working in e.g London a friend there asked you to look up a mutual friend XXX when you are in this area.

(XXX would be similar but different from the name of the person you are looking for.)

There is often somebody in the bar who will tell you that he doesn't know any XXX locally but suggests YYY a retired builder may be the person you are looking for.

You reply not the same person that the XXX you are looking is in a different occupation. If a discussion developes your informant or others in the bar may join in giving further information on YYY which you keep dismissing as irrelevant ( while carefully memorising it)
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Send a letter to the sibling?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Win the lottery.

Advertisement