Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blink cameras (an Amazon company product).

• 18-01-2021 8:14pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am a big fan of Nest but their outdoor cameras especially come with a nice price tag, and the fact its harder to buy from the UK now am looking at some other options.

Has anyone installed a Brink outdoor camera?

Sold out on Amazon, Currys and Argos maybe more stock will come in soon.

What appeals is that they can be installed easily, without a professional or electrician as the running a battery. Plus they are cheaper. Obviously not linked to nest app or max hub but they have their own app.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Outdoor-Wireless-Security-Camera/dp/B086DKSYTS

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I’ve two of the battery ones and two wired inside the house. Have the outside ones a year and the battery is still strong. The cloud storage used to be free but I think you have to pay for it now if you are a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Am a big fan of Nest but their outdoor cameras especially come with a nice price tag, and the fact its harder to buy from the UK now am looking at some other options.

Has anyone installed a Brink outdoor camera?

Sold out on Amazon, Currys and Argos maybe more stock will come in soon.

What appeals is that they can be installed easily, without a professional or electrician as the running a battery. Plus they are cheaper. Obviously not linked to nest app or max hub but they have their own app.

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Outdoor-Wireless-Security-Camera/dp/B086DKSYTS

Is that a cheap Chinese variant?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Soarer wrote: »
    Is that a cheap Chinese variant?

I'm not sure on China...

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

I've 8 of them. 7 battery, one wired. Great bit of kit, with the lack of wires a bonus and I bought them for integration into my Home Assistant. The app is decent too. The only caveat is finding a decent home for the sync module (the hub) - it'll need to be centrally located to read all the cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 34 declanfoleyirl

Nice Review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDIqxUXyNsg

I just bought a pack 3 pack + 1 from currys in dublin.

1x
    AMAZON - Blink Outdoor HD 1080p WiFi Security Camera System - 3 Cameras
    Product code 713299 at € 299.00 each € 299.00
    1x
    AMAZON - Echo Show 8 (2019) - Charcoal
    Product code 544724 at € 149.99 each € 149.99
    1x
    AMAZON - Blink Outdoor HD 1080p WiFi Security Camera System
    Product code 679904 at € 109.99 each € 109.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Buy the older style outdoor camera & you won't need to pay the subscription (I think its the blink ii)

Three different houses in my family have blink cameras and they are great. Haven't heard may complaints. Although I tried to download a video from one of them and found it difficult... might be lack of familiarity with the app... but would seem like an important function to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks lads, still out of stock everywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

I am just looking at getting a Blink Outdoor Camera and I was just wondering about a few things.

Rain - the camera has no hood over the lens so I was just wondering for people that have one how does it fair out when its raining?

Motion Detection - Currently have a Tapo camera which looking out of a window onto the drive but one thing I have noticed is that it is so sensitive to movement - even car lights reflecting off my parked car sets it off. Is Blink the same?

Subscription - Appears you can now record locally on the Sync 2 with a USB stick? Is that correct or do you also need to pay a subscription?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have two outside and they work great. Yep, if rain is directly hitting the lens it will obscure captured video and may trigger motion detection, but it'll run off. You can adjust the sensitivity and also 'activity zones'. I actually have both cameras pointed inwards (front door, back door), so less likely to be triggered by external influences. No idea on the subject of subscriptions.

The mounts for the XT2 cameras are appallingly flimsy, so if you would be concerned about someone interfering with or stealing your cameras, you should invest in a proper 3rd party mount. No integration with Google Home devices is also a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So anyone sill using Blink Outdoor, how are they? The reviews tend to me mixed on Amazon, but then again that tends to be things when people have issues with something.

They're discounted on Amazon at the moment.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    So anyone sill using Blink Outdoor, how are they? The reviews tend to me mixed on Amazon, but then again that tends to be things when people have issues with something.

They're discounted on Amazon at the moment.

I still have them, still working great for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Any issues with it missing activities, or poor performance at night?
    I already have a Logitech Circle but they've stupidly decided that their new version is only compatible with Apply Homekit.

No issues with the missing activities, but I don't generally have them on at night. When I have used them at night though, the quality is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just recently got two more Minis for upstairs in my place that’s five I have altogether.

I have noticed though the one I have in my daughter’s room which I just bought in a two-pack seems to be making this clicking noise a lot more than any of the others.

I have the same settings applied to every camera so it's strange that it's mainly happening on just this one. It seems to click nearly every time someone is passing and sometimes even when there’s nothing at all.

I want to try and sort it because I think it woke her up last night and you could tell she was then aware it was there.

Any ideas?

Advertisement