Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Land in 3 names

• 18-01-2021 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Myself and two brothers have been left land in all our names. They have houses built elsewhere already but I am planning to build on the site which they have no problem with.

To get a mortgage would I need the site in my own name or does it matter?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

risteard7 wrote: »
    Myself and two brothers have been left land in all our names. They have houses built elsewhere already but I am planning to build on the site which they have no problem with.

To get a mortgage would I need the site in my own name or does it matter?

Yes you would.

You don't have to start that process until after you have been granted permission

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Your other two brothers will have to consent in writing to your application for PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Your other two brothers will have to consent in writing to your application for PP.

And you will have to stay on the right side of them for the rest of your life, or they will decide to do things with the property which badly effect your home.

Joint ownership of land causes problem, every time.

Come to an agreement, which makes you sole owner of the land you want to build on at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,052 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The sequence of events is:

1. All three landowners apply for PP for the house that is to be built.

2. PP is granted.

3. Land is subdivided so that OP gets to be sole owner of plot on which house is to be be built. [Make sure plot has access to public road.]

4. OP builds house on (what is now) his land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The sequence of events is:

1. All three landowners apply for PP for the house that is to be built.

2. PP is granted.

3. Land is subdivided so that OP gets to be sole owner of plot on which house is to be be built. [Make sure plot has access to public road.]

4. OP builds house on (what is now) his land.

I would be conscious of the CAT and CGT consequences of that sequencing although it might be commonly used. Once the PP is granted, the particular parcel of land will likely have a greater value. The exchange of an interest in the whole in return for an absolute interest in a part of it is a disposal for CGT purposes%

• Advertisement
Advertisement