Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the best thing you bought during lock down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

For myself i've just bought the one thing, a turntable, got all my Vinyl (about 150 of them) from out of storage and just listening to albums every night, something about holding an album that i've had for 30yrs, remembering the first time played that exact album, hearing the little groove marks on the vinyl.

For my 4yrs old daughter i bought us a really cool bird feeding station, we both sit their for ages watching how the different birds feed, she can name most of the birds now and her job is to make sure all the feeders are stocked up.

For my wife i knocked her up, due in May

Have not actually bought all that much myself. But my friends got together and bought a rather expensive original - no longer made - version of the bow that the Green Arrow uses in the TV series "Arrow" - as well as some customized arrows each of which are worth a bit too - and I have spent all number of hours out using it since. I absolutely love it. It's called a Oneida Kestral. And it is my new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

gmisk wrote: »
    Large monitor which has been brilliant when working on laptop at home.
    Also upgraded to a kindle paperwhite (got very cheap in Amazon sale) and much prefer it to my old original kindle.
    The fact it has a backlight is great as well as being waterproof so you can read in the bath.

Kindle paperwhite is one of the greatest things ever! Great for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Autechre - Sign + Plus

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

Senyawa & Stephen O'Malley - Bima Sakti

The Weeknd - After Hours

Burial - Chemz

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Not sure of the best thing but I'm very very happy with my below purchases

70 euro for hacked PSP 3000 with 20 PSP games and hundred of GBA, SNES etc games

25e for a hair clippers, dreaded it at first and now it's perfect

30euro for a 32 inch Dell Monitor (Shoutout the the guy I met from Reddit, great bargain and really really helped me out!)

A mattress protector for the bed!

Iptv for 9euro a Month, always at home now so very handy
    Real Debrid and cyberflix for tv shows (3 euro a month, highly worth it )

ear plugs ( Moldex 770001 Pura-Fit Ear Plugs SNR 36
    (200 Pair Pack)
    and eye masks for sleeping (live in an estate with noisy cars and children )
    my sleep has improved x 1000

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A bone folder.

It's a simple plastic thingy for creasing paper to make professional looking gift cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

A very expensive pillow but i couldn't be without it now. It is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Beer and comfortable clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I managed to get a punchbag and a home gym after the first lockdown and stuck them in the garage. They’ve been a godsend for teenagers who in normal times would play loads of sport. I use the gym myself in the evenings when I get bored of looking at the wife!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Fleshlight

Was waiting for this reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Proper Sony noise cancelling headphones and a Bluetooth receiver for the tv. Living in an apartment block, this has been a godsend. I appreciate that my neighbours have kids, lives and make a normal amount of noise. But at least I have the option now of not hearing a darn thing! I love my headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Slowcooker liners, a pair of boots and a new toilet seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Has he done many Noel interviews since he went to paid? Used to really like that pod.

About 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

A charcoal BBQ and a Bluetooth Speaker....... it allowed us to eat outside most evenings over the Summer while listing to Dad Rock at full blast. We had some great evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A heated electric throw for the sofa. OMG

Get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Some bits of wood! I made a nice big spicerack as a DIY project

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Would they eat lettuce? I have loads in fridge. The sign in my local park says not to give bread to the ducks, give them lettuce it says. So I brought some down a while ago and they saw me and all came over, threw the lettuce in, they sniffed at it and turned the duck armada around, zero interest.

Clever birds. When Armadas meet Icebergs, duck or retreat.

A large 4 berth caravan as my home office and chill out pad. Works a charm and will be even better as the weather warms and the days lengthen.
    Bought a One4all Saorview aerial for €20 in Argos that's spec'd for 9 miles but pulls perfect signal from 40 miles away (inbuilt sat system is a dud, as they always are). Android box, gas cooker, chillout sofa like The Mentalist and oh yeah that work laptop.
    My two tomcats reckon it was a quality buy. Great for watching birds from.

Oh and a sh1tload of silver and gold back in March. And now we wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

humberklog wrote: »
    A bone folder.

It's a simple plastic thingy for creasing paper to make professional looking gift cards.

I was given my Master Printmaker's (tutor) bone folder as a gift when I graduated eons ago, I think it’s been passed down several times over a few generations and it’s real bone, not the plastic ones you get these days. I thought I’d lost it, went to get another and was told there not made anymore so came back home and turned the place inside out to find it, mighty glad I did :)

• Advertisement

So long as you didn't buy the farm during lockdown, anything else will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I got a water rower and copious amounts of yarn so I can knit when not rowing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

A bird feeder

Airsoft rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A few new PS4 games... to help alleviate boredom.

Both diesel and French Connection were giving stuff away online so had a bit of a clothing splurge. Got a couple of winter and summer jackets, sweatshirts, shirts / long and short sleeve t-shirts... t shirts 2 for 30 at diesel which is great as long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Load of toilet roll ?!?

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Load of toilet roll ?!?

Jacks party at yours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Got a new, very decent, camera, which I'm delighted with, but there's not much opportunity to go taking pictures. Trying to get back into astrophotography in my back garden, but the clouds have other plans. Might get back into macro - I can do that indoors in all weather.

Over the year, I've fitted most of my house out with Hue smart bulbs. Grabbed a few Amazon Echos too. The whole smart home thing is somewhat frivolous, but fun.

Bought myself a nice Sonos Beam speaker for the TV in the Black Friday sale. Of course now I want two rear speakers, for surround sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Piece of mind. Its probably not implied from the tone but I'm writing this in a very smug way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Exercise mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Masala wrote: »
    A charcoal BBQ and a Bluetooth Speaker....... it allowed us to eat outside most evenings over the Summer while listing to Dad Rock at full blast. We had some great evenings

Bought a Bluetooth speaker too, love them... not arrived yet. This...

6412160_sd.jpg

My old one, about 5 years old, but a pretty top of the range one worth a few quid all of a sudden is just crackling so badly it’s unlistenable ... can’t fathom what happened to it. Post covid I’ll try get it repaired.

Sony-SRSX5.jpg

Advertisement