Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norma Foley Worst Minister ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sorry lads is this thread "Worst Minister ever?" or just worst minister in the last year or so?

Like Bertie was a Min Finance with no bank account and CJ Haughey had several ministries that were all wrought with scandals.

Now if it we're talkin about the most incompetent Ministers - generally the ones that were kicked out as soon as they got in get a shot at that title. For that I'll nominate Barry Cowan - Min Agriculture 27 June–14 July 2020.

A short stint indeed, booted out as he never passed his driving test before being done for drunk driving while traveling across half the country every day and claiming mileage for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Was Danny a minister?

No that's why I said ministers!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Maybe we should throw in Atorney Generals as well,
    Some real duds there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Foley

Following revelations that he had held an offshore account with Ansbacher Bank to avoid tax, Denis Foley resigned from Fianna Fáil on 9 February 2000, becoming an independent TD. He had previously resigned from the Dáil Public Accounts Committee (on which he had been involved in the questioning of an official of the Ansbacher bank in which he held an undeclared deposit) and in May 2000, he became the first TD to receive a penalty for breaching the Ethics in Public Office Act 1995; he was suspended from the Dáil for 14 days.

John Delaney and his father Joe Delaney come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

The most famous swinger, Maria Bailey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

He's a donkey, stalled peace process to save a couple of border seats, brought that thing Sutherland into office,

We're miles apart. I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

She’s not even close to being worst minister who has held one in the current cabinet, let alone of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ray Burke was just straight up corrupt, managed to get away with most of it but did end up being jailed for tax evasion. Also used his time as minister for communications to undermine RTE who he thought was biased against him.

Dish-honourable mentions
    Pee Flynn
    Liam Lawlor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In living memory, the latter part of the Cowen government saw people promoted to cabinet that you wouldn't have left in charge of a parish committee.
    The stink of rank incompetence everywhere. Pretty much anyone that happened to be around Leinster House on any given day got promoted.

Take your pick, Batt O'Keefe, Eamon O'Cuiv...Mary Coughlan

Preceding that, you had the likes of Willie O'Dea and this pair of "What Bailout?" gobsh1tes.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

golfball37 wrote: »
    She’s not even close to being worst minister who has held one in the current cabinet, let alone of all time.

Donnelly for one is ahead of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Cerveza wrote: »
    No body mention the fringe.

Dense Dempsey?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

At least she fronts up and faces the media.

Leaky Roderic O Gorman is a bit of a disaster as well.

Communication to the creches during the latest lockdown has seen shambolic. Way out of his depth. Nothing from him at all.

The way O’Gorman has ignored and mishandled the early years sector in such a brief time almost makes you miss Zappone.

Almost, I say.....

Who was the guy who made the original redress deal with the religious orders, he must be well up in the worst minister rankings

racersedge wrote: »
    The way O’Gorman has ignored and mishandled the early years sector in such a brief time almost makes you miss Zappone.

Almost, I say.....

Does.she still live here or did she go back to Seattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

She is the current number 2 worst Minister, Eamon Ryan being the worst, regaining the title he held previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

Charlie "spend it while you've got it" mc creevy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Maybe we should throw in Atorney Generals as well,
    Some real duds there

I'd bet they can spell attorney

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Do not forget that those FCUKIN WASTERS have several "advisers" each that is costing us taxpayers on average €100,000 per adviser p.a.
    Some of the advisers "earn" €150k+...........................

...........................................to answer your question of who is the worst minister ever.....NORMA is in the TOP 1!

Who was the guy who made the original redress deal with the religious orders, he must be well up in the worst minister rankings

Michael Woods

Good catholic boy, wasnt he? Went through one of their big schools as I recall.

Wiki: In 2003, after brokering the deal, Woods claimed his strong Catholic faith made him the most suitable person to negotiate the deal.[4] He also denied allegations that he was a member of Opus Dei or the Knights of Saint Columbanus after the group Survivors of Child Abuse alleged he was a member of the former

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Martin Cullen has to be well up the worst Minister chart, remember the voting machines fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Slattsy wrote: »
    It'll be hard to ever topple Reilly.

I'll see your Reilly and raise you calamity Caughlan

Martin Cullen has to be well up the worst Minister chart, remember the voting machines fiasco.

Just the name on office, things were going to bought irrespective of who was minister, the wheels of cronysm need greasing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Smee_Again wrote: »
    She’s in over her head anyway.

What politicking resulted in her being made a minister?

Her gender played a part in it. As did her geography. This is not progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Michael Woods

Good catholic boy, wasnt he? Went through one of their big schools as I recall.

Wiki: In 2003, after brokering the deal, Woods claimed his strong Catholic faith made him the most suitable person to negotiate the deal.[4] He also denied allegations that he was a member of Opus Dei or the Knights of Saint Columbanus after the group Survivors of Child Abuse alleged he was a member of the former

I agree with this selection. Woods shafted the nation by looking out for his pals in the RCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Alan Shatter has to be up there for the Maurice McCabe saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

I think the legacy of John Bruton (Finance minister at the time) would stand tall along with the numpties of the early 80's such as Dick Spring and Garret Fitzgerald with the tax on childrens shoes fiasco that brought down the government in 1982... I was too young to remember but my father referred to it in later years when I bacame familiar with politics and these senior politicians were still creaming it for many years later...

Heres a throw back from the rte archives https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1333-memorable-budgets/1338-budget-1982

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I think the legacy of John Bruton (Finance minister at the time) would stand tall along with the numpties of the early 80's such as Dick Spring and Garret Fitzgerald with the tax on childrens shoes fiasco that brought down the government in 1982... I was too young to remember but my father referred to it in later years when I bacame familiar with politics and these senior politicians were still creaming it for many years later...

Heres a throw back from the rte archives https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1333-memorable-budgets/1338-budget-1982

Don't forget he ****ed up the peace process and caused the IRA ceasefire to break down. He set back peace on this island by years through pure stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

I can't believe nobody has mentioned literally the worst "Taois" we ever had (aside from Mehole who is utterly useless but keeps his nose clean enough to stay innocuous).

The irony of Leo Varadkar's "tax cheats cheat us all" rat out your neighbour who you think should be working scheme, being the platform on which they were elected (basically)... a similar scheme just brought down the government in the Netherlands. I wouldn't have thought the Dutch were a more compassionate race than the Irish but there you have it.

Leo should have been taken out behind the chemical sheds two years ago, the amount of damage he has done to this country in such a short space of time is incredible. I lie awake at night wondering what dastardly stunt he's going to pull next. His ability to slither into the media with whatever completely disconnected comment or throw a sector into disarray is the envy of energy vampires the world over.

His ministerial appointments are indicative of his extremely fragile ego, he can't stand to see somebody intelligent or competent in a role so he gives them to people who don't have a hope of doing anything other than messing them up, painting him in a great light (as he sees it). It's the equivalent of going out on the pull with an ugly friend.

Complete and utter loser, lizard-person and a dangerous sociopath with absolutely no principals or discernible skills that aren't Machiavellian. For the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

KaneToad wrote: »
    I agree with this selection. Woods shafted the nation by looking out for his pals in the RCC.

True. He indemnified the Roman organisation for a sweet deal. I think they still owe money for their part but the taxpayer has paid 20 times as much.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned literally the worst "Taois" we ever had (aside from Mehole who is utterly useless but keeps his nose clean enough to stay innocuous).

The irony of Leo Varadkar's "tax cheats cheat us all" rat out your neighbour who you think should be working scheme, being the platform on which they were elected (basically)... a similar scheme just brought down the government in the Netherlands. I wouldn't have thought the Dutch were a more compassionate race than the Irish but there you have it.

Leo should have been taken out behind the chemical sheds two years ago, the amount of damage he has done to this country in such a short space of time is incredible. I lie awake at night wondering what dastardly stunt he's going to pull next. His ability to slither into the media with whatever completely disconnected comment or throw a sector into disarray is the envy of energy vampires the world over.

His ministerial appointments are indicative of his extremely fragile ego, he can't stand to see somebody intelligent or competent in a role so he gives them to people who don't have a hope of doing anything other than messing them up, painting him in a great light (as he sees it). It's the equivalent of going out on the pull with an ugly friend.

Complete and utter loser, lizard-person and a dangerous sociopath with absolutely no principals or discernible skills that aren't Machiavellian. For the bin.

Sorry that is NOT what brought down the Dutch government

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement