Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SV650s restriction help

• 10-01-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys, so about a month ago I purchased and Sv650s from UK and had it delivered over.

The bike has a restricter on it and came with all the restriction certs etc I'm wondering whats the best way to go about removing the restrictor? It says on the certs the type of restriction is a throttle stop restricted to 35kw.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Long screw driver on the left side beside where the idle adjustment is

There is a small cam shaped metal plate on the side of the throttle body assembly where the throttle cable is

Unscrew that and use a magnet on an extension to lift it out.

About a 45 second job

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Long screw driver on the left side beside where the idle adjustment is

There is a small cam shaped metal plate on the side of the throttle body assembly where the throttle cable is

Unscrew that and use a magnet on an extension to lift it out.

About a 45 second job

And its that easy?? Its FI international throttle stop

Sorry I'm pretty much a noob to stuff like this does the tank etc have to come off?

E46Dream wrote: »
    And its that easy?? Its FI international throttle stop

Sorry I'm pretty much a noob to stuff like this does the tank etc have to come off?

Don't know that brand of restrictor but have a look here as you twist the throttle and you should hear and see the metal piece with the tiny red dot/arrow in this picture. Thats whats stopping the full rotation of the throttle if you have this style of restrictor

538970.jpg

Its like a little shoe shape metal _/* and will be an obviously different type of metal to the rest of the components there

Not the only type of restrictor though but definitely the easiest to remove

Its like a little shoe shape metal _/* and will be an obviously different type of metal to the rest of the components there

Not the only type of restrictor though but definitely the easiest to remove

I have the left side fairing off now there's a stamp on the fram saying " 35kw power reduced by alpha technik" is that the same as fi international or whats going on?

• Advertisement

I have the left side fairing off now there's a stamp on the fram saying " 35kw power reduced by alpha technik" is that the same as fi international or whats going on?

Probably the mechanics who carried out the work or something like that. Can you see that little metal piece?

Probably the mechanics who carried out the work or something like that. Can you see that little metal piece?

I'm not sure if you can see this but this is the only viewpoint I have.

Is it a curvy or pointy sv

Is it a curvy or pointy sv

SV650s k9 full faired

Should be that silver thing top right of your photo, turn the throttle and see if thats what is stopping it. If it is then just long screw driver and a magnet to fish it out. Put the screw back in where it came from for safe keeping and jobs done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Is there any chance it is electronic
    Like this one
    https://motobroker.co.uk/suzuki-sv650-s-2016-35kw-47bhp-a2-alpha-technik-motorcycle-restriction-kit/
    Says pre 2016 kit was mechanical like Frozenfrozen is describing
    Post 2016 is electronic

Should be that silver thing top right of your photo, turn the throttle and see if thats what is stopping it. If it is then just long screw driver and a magnet to fish it out. Put the screw back in where it came from for safe keeping and jobs done

Sorry for not replying I didn't have time yesterday to look at it. Yeah I'm debating whether to go at it myself or have someone do it for me its pretty hard to see in there or get access to.

Its definitely a throttle stop the throttle just comes to an abrupt stop 3/4 of the way through.

ya well if you want to do it it's that silver yoke in your picture it will look like this when its out just the little pointy one not the washers Restrictorwashers_zpsd50085e4.jpg

ya well if you want to do it it's that silver yoke in your picture it will look like this when its out just the little pointy one not the washers Restrictorwashers_zpsd50085e4.jpg

Nice one I'll have a proper look tomorrow is there a special screwdriver required for that screw that holds it in?

In my picture the black block to the left with 2 wires coming out what is that? Thats in my way to see and access through the other gap in the frame which is where I need to get straight access to the throttle.

that could be a few things mine was a k3 and I don't remember that there but it could be the tip sensor or a reg/rec or part of an aftermarket alarm on your bike. You could unbolt whatever that black thing is for a minute to gain access. maybe mark the orientation with tipex first incase it is a tip sensor but I think mine was somewhere else like under the pillion seat.

you just need a long screw driver, maybe with a bit to give a bit of extra angle on it or one of those bendy extensions.

other than that just screw it out and catch the metal piece before it flies off down into your belly pan

that could be a few things mine was a k3 and I don't remember that there but it could be the tip sensor or a reg/rec or part of an aftermarket alarm on your bike. You could unbolt whatever that black thing is for a minute to gain access. maybe mark the orientation with tipex first incase it is a tip sensor but I think mine was somewhere else like under the pillion seat.

you just need a long screw driver, maybe with a bit to give a bit of extra angle on it or one of those bendy extensions.

other than that just screw it out and catch the metal piece before it flies off down into your belly pan

Yeah cause that first picture you posted is looking in through that gap where that black piece is covering mine I'll show you tomorrow.

Guess I'll have a go at it anyway seems I have no work for the next 3 weeks cause of covid :)

Found another pic

ya will be tight enough I presume it's this one

FnFLuY2.png

you might get a better view at it to make sure it looks like the one in the other picture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My pointy k5 was factory ECU restricted. I should have a deristricted ecu somewhere, i sold my sv with the restricted ECU.

Idleater wrote: »
    My pointy k5 was factory ECU restricted. I should have a deristricted ecu somewhere, i sold my sv with the restricted ECU.

I'd imagine mine is just throttle stop as I can feel it? The ecu is hardly restricted aswell would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'd imagine mine is just throttle stop as I can feel it? The ecu is hardly restricted aswell would it be?

Yeah, apologies, the page loaded on page 1 where the ECU was questioned. I saw later the conversation moved on. From my recollection, factory restricted (pointy) sv are ECU restricted. That's what i had (to get the insurance discount).
    Washers and throttle stops were the non factory methods (in my time anyway).

You can easily get to the ECU, under the seat (?) And I think the number on it is easily identified as a restricted one IIRC.

If it turns out to be, I'll find my full power one.

Idleater wrote: »
    Yeah, apologies, the page loaded on page 1 where the ECU was questioned. I saw later the conversation moved on. From my recollection, factory restricted (pointy) sv are ECU restricted. That's what i had (to get the insurance discount).
    Washers and throttle stops were the non factory methods (in my time anyway).

You can easily get to the ECU, under the seat (?) And I think the number on it is easily identified as a restricted one IIRC.

If it turns out to be, I'll find my full power one.

No worries, yeah I'll try and get the throttle stop off and see how we go. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm going at this today to remove the throttle stop. I found a video on YouTube that shows exactly what I need to do and everything is the same. He says the tank needs to come up and undo the air box to gain better access to it, and also that little black box needs to be loosened off too. If you want to have a look heres the link https://youtu.be/1tEDkxWGoqQ.

Do you reckon the tank needs to come up or would it be possible to do all this through the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Hey guys, I'm going at this today to remove the throttle stop. I found a video on YouTube that shows exactly what I need to do and everything is the same. He says the tank needs to come up and undo the air box to gain better access to it, and also that little black box needs to be loosened off too. If you want to have a look heres the link https://youtu.be/1tEDkxWGoqQ.

Do you reckon the tank needs to come up or would it be possible to do all this through the frame?

Looks like a tank off job to me, but its only 2 bolts to lift it or 3 to remove it completely. The hardest bit will be that black plastic fiddly looking thing.

I dont know about access to the black thing but I took mine off with the tank on

I have the tank lifted and the airbox lifted up too I can see the throttle stop now just removing that black box now 2 8mm bolts then I should be able to access the screw holding bracket.

https://ibb.co/jbLRMnx

How am I supposed to access that screw?

how come I had much better access in my picture I was able to get straight on at it but you are looking down at an angle.

you might need a bendy extension for yours or just a long screw driver still might get at it

how come I had much better access in my picture I was able to get straight on at it but you are looking down at an angle.

you might need a bendy extension for yours or just a long screw driver still might get at it

No idea this is my access here

https://ibb.co/wh5sjnM

There's a little wire with piece of plastic looped into the bracket aswell I assume I can just cut this off its like an anti tamper plastic piece?

• Advertisement

No idea this is my access here

https://ibb.co/wh5sjnM

There's a little wire with piece of plastic looped into the bracket aswell I assume I can just cut this off its like an anti tamper plastic piece?

Also there's 2 screws in it 1 on top behind the wire and one at bottom that my screwdriver is on

Advertisement