Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

AMKC wrote: »
    That's boring and more ugly. I think last years car looked better.

...they are basically the same. Biggest change is under the skin of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

robinwing wrote: »
    Norris introduced by Pinkham immediately launches into how with his experience of 5 years a McLaren employee and his knowledge gained he will have to take on the responsibility , how he got on well with Carlos Sainz and how they worked well together. Riccardo comes in teeth flashing like a great white. His only mission is to destroy Norris , undermine his confidence , outqualify him and take over the team . Will he do a Hulkenberg on Norris ?

It’s a big year for Lando and as much as I like Ricciardo I hope he outperforms him.

Lando is fortunate enough to have had the experience where he worked with the pit crew and engineers before becoming fully fledged as the driver.

We’ve seen him helping the mechanics after races as he used to do that before he was the driver for work experience. No doubt that has helped him in two ways. To get knowledge of the car and also build a great relationship with the crew who seem to love him.

I’m hoping that he can continue his improvements. Would be horrible if Ricciardo comes in and becomes top dog straight away as Lando is clearly the future of McLaren.

I love both drivers but they are super competitive and I don’t believe it will be the same chummy relationship that Sainz and Lando shared. I can see some sparks flying with Ricciardo coming in with expectations of being number 1 and Lando wanting to prove this is his team.

Really excited to see how it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My season prediction thread is still running in case anybody is interested. The more the merrier and all that good stuff.

ypUvdSK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

...they are basically the same. Biggest change is under the skin of it.
    I know that I just think the new nose cone is uglier than last years but there must be some advantage to the Merc style cone.
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    It’s a big year for Lando and as much as I like Ricciardo I hope he outperforms him.

Lando is fortunate enough to have had the experience where he worked with the pit crew and engineers before becoming fully fledged as the driver.

We’ve seen him helping the mechanics after races as he used to do that before he was the driver for work experience. No doubt that has helped him in two ways. To get knowledge of the car and also build a great relationship with the crew who seem to love him.

I’m hoping that he can continue his improvements. Would be horrible if Ricciardo comes in and becomes top dog straight away as Lando is clearly the future of McLaren.

I love both drivers but they are super competitive and I don’t believe it will be the same chummy relationship that Sainz and Lando shared. I can see some sparks flying with Ricciardo coming in with expectations of being number 1 and Lando wanting to prove this is his team.

It will be exciting to see how it unfolds alright. I hope they both get on but keep each other on there toes goo and when they have a chance of a podium go get it. Hopefully they both will have that chance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I know that I just think the new nose cone is uglier than last years but there must be some advantage to the Merc style cone.

They ran it for most of last year as well, I think it plays better with the underside of the car better.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Adamocovic wrote: »

Hope Lando can withstand very subtle flak from Danny Ric , remember him digging into the Hulk ( in a joking funny way ) at every opportunity last years. He is a slick operator but a ruthless mother***ker . He will want to undermine Norris . Wait and see. Norris needs to outqualify him on a regular basis . Its great that the team mechanics and staff like Lando a lot. I hope he is tougher than his baby face presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is an interesting bit about the red bull engine deal. They really got a great deal from Honda and they got the other engine manufacturers to go along with the development freeze. Great work.

The video mentions that one of the top Mercedes engine people left this year and hasn’t taken a new job yet. He could be in line to head the red bull engine team. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

https://youtu.be/W6PPIFn9nFM

Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Are you gona buy it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Are you gona buy it?
    Well, I own a few in the Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon games and that suits me fine.

Ms

Well, I own a few in the Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon games and that suits me fine.

I see it is sold anyway.

I imagine he sees then as a distraction now and has not got the time for them all anyway. How many cars does a person need anyway? You can only drive one at a time.
    Some serious money do to own them and keep them in great driving condition.
    If I had that kind of money I would just have a few a change one every year to 6 months depending on when I got bored.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I see it is sold anyway.

I imagine he sees then as a distraction now and has not got the time for them all anyway. How many cars does a person need anyway? You can only drive one at a time.
    Some serious money do to own them and keep them in great driving condition.
    If I had that kind of money I would just have a few a change one every year to 6 months depending on when I got bored.

Must have taken a whopper of a pay cut if he needs to sell all his cars already

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Hijpo wrote: »

every time he looks at a Ferrari now it must remind him of rejection , they let him go cause he didnt deliver a world championship and hes outdriven by a younger and faster team mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hijpo wrote: »

You feel he is short of cash or something?
    Getting rid of the bad Karma I'd say.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Hijpo

every time he looks at a Ferrari now it must remind him of rejection , they let him go cause he didnt deliver a world championship and hes outdriven by a younger and faster team mate.
    vectra wrote: »
    You feel he is short of cash or something?
    Getting rid of the bad Karma I'd say.:P

Haha very true :-)

Although as an obvious car enthusiast and liking the cars enough to spend that amount of money on them in the first place I thought he would be holding onto them.

I doubt he "needs" the cash. :P

All kinds of reasons for it tbh. Simplifying life, downsizing, whatever. Limited-number supercars have turned out to be an excellent investment in recent years so he'll be making money on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

How many cars does a person need anyway? You can only drive one at a time.

Ah yes, but you can drive a different one every day! :)

I suppose it's like collecting anything. You can only drink one bottle of wine at a time (or maybe not!), but people have big cellars full. You can only play one guitar at a time, but guitar enthusiasts have many.

A "stable" of classic sportscars and supercars would be something I'd like very much. I would totally look to buy an old F1 car, just to have it.

Ms

Ah yes, but you can drive a different one every day! :)

I suppose it's like collecting anything. You can only drink one bottle of wine at a time (or maybe not!), but people have big cellars full. You can only play one guitar at a time, but guitar enthusiasts have many.

A "stable" of classic sportscars and supercars would be something I'd like very much. I would totally look to buy an old F1 car, just to have it.

Indeed and just pick any key do not have them in order so you do not know which car you will be driving on any giving day as long as you get to drive them all at some stage sure I suppose why not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Indeed and just pick any key do not have them in order so you do not know which car you will be driving on any giving day as long as you get to drive them all at some stage sure I suppose why not.

Yes indeed,
    throw all the keys in a bucket and close your eyes while picking one.:pac:

• Advertisement

Alpha Tauri launch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Haas lining up BWT as title sponsor

Pink Ferraris

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Haas lining up BWT as title sponsor

Pink Ferraris

That’ll be strange. Like the Racing points moved down the grid.

Is that this year or next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That’ll be strange. Like the Racing points moved down the grid.

Is that this year or next year?

No stranger then Marlboro moving from McLaren to Ferrari, or BMW from Williams to Sauber. Good to see Haas move to water. That last drink they were on nearly killed them.

Alpha Tauri looks nice. Good to see more blue. Makes them more distinguishable for Crofty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

2 cars so far, 2 where I’m struggling to see differences from the 2020 car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

600x200

Ms

flazio wrote: »
    No stranger then Marlboro moving from McLaren to Ferrari, or BMW from Williams to Sauber. Good to see Haas move to water. That last drink they were on nearly killed them.

Alpha Tauri looks nice. Good to see more blue. Makes them more distinguishable for Crofty.

Agreed it has a nice clean tidy livery to it.

Good to see Haas move to water. That last drink they were on nearly killed them.

Lol that made me laugh.
    2 cars so far, 2 where I’m struggling to see differences from the 2020 car
    You will struggle to because there is not many visual changes except for 10 per cent less floor and some other small bits.
    The livery is the big changes this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I much preferred the red, blue and chrome livery of the Toro Rosso. The Alpha Tauri livery is so bland. Its like someone took the old 90s Williams livery and then made a pigs ear of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Journos on Twitter saying BWT have pulled out of Haas discussions. Haas apparently already have a title sponsor anyway.

Williams now linked with BWT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement