Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair cancelling a lot of routes over winter

• 20-10-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭

As we are all aware Shannon and Cork have been dumped for the winter by Ryanair, they have also dumped a lot of other routes.

One Example:

Carcassonne has been cancelled from Dublin, Stansted, Luton, Manchester, East Midlands and Edinburgh. There are plenty more spread out all over their route map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

All flights to Armenia have disappeared, too. I suspect the current political situation there has a lot to do with that decision.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Where did Ryanair fly to Armenia from, Ukraine or somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Noxegon wrote: »
    All flights to Armenia have disappeared, too. I suspect the current political situation there has a lot to do with that decision.

& Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Bari, Bordeaux, Bournemouth, Charleroi, Eindhoven, Kyiv, Southend, Murcia, Nantes, Nice, Memmingen are just some examples I noticed at a glance cancelled this winter vs last winter.

Network wide they say they are operating a 40% winter schedule vs 2019 but at Dublin it looks more like 20% such is the complete butchering of frequencies and it's only going to get worse.

Ryanair flights from Dublin to Birmingham, down to 5 a week as opposed to 4 or 5 a day, 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Ryanair flights from Dublin to Birmingham, down to 5 a week as opposed to 4 or 5 a day, 7 days a week.

wow, there was up to 6-8 flights per day if you counted Aer Lingus also, most were chock-abloc between Fridays and Mondays often due to soccer games in the Premier League as BHX is close for several teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I wonder post pandemic; will we see FR growing more at regional airports like the model was focused on during the early years. Clearly all airports will be offering serious incentives to get traffic back, but no more so than regional airports who have it all to lose.

Keeping costs low, new aircraft with cheaper than ever operating costs it'll be the perfect recipe for O'Leary and his shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Not surprised but disappointed to see them drop the more niche routes. I had planned on using them this year for a trip over to Armenia and possibly Jordan but of course the pandemic changed all that.

I imagine Wizzair will increase their share of the market in that part of the world. They continue to expand in Eastern Europe and beyond, very impressive growth.

Just noticed a massive drop in the number of flights to/from the UK at Christmas as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Alicante is down to 2 days a week from Dublin. It’s usually 7 days a week all year round.

Incidentally Ryanair have launched some domestic routes internally in Spain to much fanfare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Start of November I can see Ryanair slashing daily services from say 7 per week to 2 flights per week.... Just not sustainable to run aircraft a 1/3 or less full, cheaper to park them up for the winter and hope to come out the other end....
    ...Airport over the weekend was like a Ghost Town, deserted whereas this time last year it would have been mental with people getting away for the Bank holiday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ryanair have actually cancelled ALL services from Cork for a period of approx a month from mid November - they've even dropped Stansted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ryanair have actually cancelled ALL services from Cork for a period of approx a month from mid November - they've even dropped Stansted!

Shannon and Knock too apparently. That will leave no passenger flights out of both.

Acosta wrote: »
    Shannon and Knock too apparently. That will leave no passenger flights out of both.

No surprises, as I said above, no operator can afford to run empty planes..

Nothing will change until there's rapid testing at the airports and we get harmonised travel systems in place across the EU..

Ryanair’s Dublin/Birmingham route now down to 4 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

And yet their share price is still very high which is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

And yet their share price is still very high which is baffling

I guess shareholders expect things will recover in 2021 or 2022 and hope that Ryanair have enough funds and can cut enough costs to last that long. If they can, they’re likely to do well as people flock to catch up on all the holidays they missed out on and to see all the family and friends they haven’t seen in a year. If some of their competition doesn’t make it, that makes things all the better for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, Ryanair are one of the few that will get through this relatively unscathed I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

theguzman wrote: »
    wow, there was up to 6-8 flights per day if you counted Aer Lingus also, most were chock-abloc between Fridays and Mondays often due to soccer games in the Premier League as BHX is close for several teams.

72 flights a week, 2nd in frequency to Amsterdam from BHX. I think it was top five (top ten?) in terms of passengers from or to Dublin.

It was operating still half full in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

In (faint) praise of Ryanair.

I was booked to fly Cork - Lanzarote (return) in Jan/Feb 2021. Obviously the flights are gone. So they emailed me on the 19th October inviting me to apply for a credit note or full refund. I opted for the full refund and it arrived in my bank account last night.

Not a bad performance, considering that, presumably RYR were processing refunds for every cancelled winter flight from Cork and Shannon during the past fortnight.

In (faint) praise of Ryanair.
    I was booked to fly Cork - Lanzarote (return) in Jan/Feb 2021. Obviously the flights are gone. So they emailed me on the 19th October inviting me to apply for a credit note or full refund. I opted for the full refund and it arrived in my bank account last night.
    Not a bad performance, considering that, presumably RYR were processing refunds for every cancelled winter flight from Cork and Shannon during the past fortnight.

Ryanair get a lot of flack over refunds, being one of Europes biggest carriers I can only imagine that the level of refunds due to covid cancellations must be higher than many other airlines combined!

If people think getting refunds of RA is difficult, try Turkish Airlines, Sky Up!, and Pegasus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

assuming ryanair hope some people will fly from dublin and make routes being served from here more viable...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yeah, Ryanair are one of the few that will get through this relatively unscathed I think.

Apart from the staff, the majority of Dublin staff (around 75%) have been given unpaid leave for a minimum of 5 months.

billie1b wrote: »
    Apart from the staff, the majority of Dublin staff (around 75%) have been given unpaid leave for a minimum of 5 months.

Would they have preferred to have been made redundant?

Well considering they offered people to apply for redundancy and then told the staff they ‘don’t deserve it as they’ve done nothing for Ryanair to deserve redundancies’ (a lot of staff working there for 15 years minimum) I think a lot of staff would have preferred it as at least they would have some type of payment for the next few months instead of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Get a grip. Aviation workers are suffering, the measures taken by airlines to survive mean the frontline will bear the brunt of cuts.

No airline get's through this ''unscathed''.

Well considering they offered people to apply for redundancy and then told the staff they ‘don’t deserve it as they’ve done nothing for Ryanair to deserve redundancies’ (a lot of staff working there for 15 years minimum) I think a lot of staff would have preferred it as at least they would have some type of payment for the next few months instead of nothing.

I assume that you can link me to the document in which that remarkable statement was made?

Jack1985 wrote: »

Get a grip. Aviation workers are suffering, the measures taken by airlines to survive mean the frontline will bear the brunt of cuts.

No airline get's through this ''unscathed''.

My grip is perfect, thanks.

And I didn't make the foolish claim to which you responded in your third sentence.

I assume that you can link me to the document in which that remarkable statement was made?

Why would I post a link? Why would it be even on the internet? You want me to send you all my internal memos from them from work? Why would I need to lie about it? What would I gain?

Why would I post a link? Why would it be even on the internet? You want me to send you all my internal memos from them from work? Why would I need to lie about it? What would I gain?

In summary, you can't. That's all I wanted to know, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

You are be a credible poster here but I assume you can still understand why most people treat what they read on the internet with a healthy dose of scepticism. Especially when it comes to an emotive statement like that. Isn’t it possible that someone other than you might invent or creatively twist a statement like that because they’re unhappy with their employers or management?

Advertisement