Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English Open 2020

• 12-10-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭

English Open underway from Milton Keynes, 128 players, all the big names there and thankfully no C-19 withdrawals so far. That I've heard of anyway.

£1m bonus for winning all 4 Home Series titles gone. As if it really mattered!

Of the irish, Aaron Hill first up v Chang Biangyu at 7pm tonight. Be interesting to see how Hill fares after his eyeopening performances in his first tournament as a pro last month. Chang is even younger but has an extra year on tour under his belt so could be a decent test. Bit of pressure but you'd hope to see him come through to set up a likely last 64 against defending champ Selby.

Then tomorrow Ken faces another Chinese youngster Xu Si while Fergal is out against Stuart Bingham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Interesting to see how Ken gets on. Carrying in a bit of form after winning his CL group and beating Robertson along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stuart Carrington withdrawn after positive test and Sam Craigie out too as a close contact. Tough on lads who need to be earning money and points.

Ronnie down by 2 frames to nil against this French amateur qualifier Brian Ochoiski.

He's pretty tasty too the 21 yr old; got a century in last frame.

Wide open early on frame 3 - reds well spread. Ochoiski in again. Plenty reds on but
    not that straightforward all the same.

Just missed. Ronnie needs to make this chance count.

Watching Hill and it's a bit frustrating. Missed two blacks off spot after leaving himself short sighted on both and looks like could cost him two frames. Table looks very slow so may be struggling with it, last break off barely made it past the blue.

A good break from Ronnie left him almost over the winning line there with two reds left.

Won the frame shortly after a brief safety exchange. 2-1 now to the Frenchman. Ron in again in frame four.

• Advertisement

:D: :D Ronnie really doesn't give a dollar hit.

Nails painted pink :D

For charity according to comms.

2 apiece.

Ronnie chugging along very nicely now.

Ahead in frame 22-0. Safety bout atm.

Got lucky there Ronnie - all to play for.

Ronnie ahead 3-2.

5 frames in just over an hour. Good open stuff.

Ron through 4-2.

Reckon we'll see more of Ochoiski. Game needs a few quality
    young players, and he certainly looks good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

:D: :D Ronnie really doesn't give a dollar hit.

Nails painted pink :D

For charity according to comms.

Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Fair play to him.

He's doing it for the whole week he said in interview

He does like a bitch too... :pac: Had a bit of a swipe at his opponent about playing 'wrong' shots :D

Long may he run......... And play snooker too :)

Hill loses 2-4. Should really have made it 3-3 but overall can't have any complaints, was an awful match to be blunt about it. Only starting so hope he doesn't beat himself up too much about it, lot to be learned from all these matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pity to see him get knocked out. It would have been great to see him take on Selby.

Mark Allen and King match very scrappy. 2 apiece.

Rothko wrote: »
    Pity to see him get knocked out. It would have been great to see him take on Selby.

I think and hope tonight will be more valuable to him than the international last month tbh, he can look back at that and see the obvious flaws in his game and work on them. Probably nerves got to him there as it was a match he would have hoped and expected to win so maybe put too much pressure on himself. Would definitely have been better against selby i think as he'd really have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He's doing it for the whole week he said in interview

He does like a bitch too... :pac: Had a bit of a swipe at his opponent about playing 'wrong' shots :D

Long may he run......... And play snooker too :)
    He also said he probably won't play in the upcoming Masters as he doesn't really like the competition. Strange given he has done so well in it over the years.

He didn't play in masters this year either, so hardly that much of a shock. Said he was going to be busy with other stuff that week and then turned up for duty on the eurosport couch iirc. Maybe he just likes to remind people that he doesn't really need the game, can take it or leave it when he wants. Or something. Who knows really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I heard him say elsewhere that the Masters is the tournament where he feels the most pressure and demands on his time when he's there as a player and that's why he skipped it this year, and he plans to continue to give it a miss. Of course he changes his mind with the weather so...

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I see Ken has lost 4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

KD out, beaten 4-1 by a Chinese player so obscure he doesn't have a picture on the Flashscore app!

• Advertisement

The 4 frames Ken lost all went down to final pink or black. Be a bit frustrated with that i imagine.

A bit of agg between Gilbert and R McLeod so they were saying on Eurosport.

Something about a freeball... Dave reckons that McLeod is always trying to intimidate players.
    They were even going at it in the press conference afterwards apparently. Will try to see if I can catch
    it on Youtube in the next couple of days if it's up.

Don't even know who won the match. A bit of controversy is good though :)

Poor Ollie Lines... Peter was tested on Monday I think, and positive, but Ollie had to withdraw even
    though he had no contact with daddy Peter since Saturday.... Bit arbitrary and unfair imo..

Having watched the incident i am at a total loss to understand what McLeod is trying to argue. Any idiot can see its not a free ball.

Don't know if this link will work but that's the situation anyway. No free ball Rory, how long are you playing the game?!

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1315972405081370624/pu/vid/720x1280/h4ryMpm7Bgyt64l0.mp4?tag=10

KD out, beaten 4-1 by a Chinese player so obscure he doesn't have a picture on the Flashscore app!

:D

I always find the no picture funny myself.

Don't know if this link will work but that's the situation anyway. No free ball Rory, how long are you playing the game?!

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1315972405081370624/pu/vid/720x1280/h4ryMpm7Bgyt64l0.mp4?tag=10

Thanks for going to the trouble Joe... Can't access it though... Requires some messing about on Windows Media Player... Don't want to mess around with settings and the like... :o

Thanks for going to the trouble Joe... Can't access it though... Requires some messing about on Windows Media Player... Don't want to mess around with settings and the like... :o

Sorry bout that, don't blame you. Didn't see it but apparently there was a "standing in my sightline" issue during the match too so a lot going on there it seems!

^^^

Appreciate it... Happy enough to wait for someone to upload it on Youtube, as am not at all savvy with computers/technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What's Rory McLeod moaning about here? Saying to Gilbert 'i expect more from you'. I dont see a free ball there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Are you on Windows XP still? : )

But yeah no idea what McCloud's problem is. He seems to be saying it's a free ball looking at it from another angle but that's ridiculous because that's not the angle he's playing from?!? And on top of that even if he believes he's right he needn't conduct himself with so much 'attitude'.

I think the ref should have stepped in here though and put a ball aside the green to show it wasn't a free ball to make it as plain as day it wasn't, rather than let them slug it out. I've only seen the clip thought, maybe he did.

Advertisement